Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dareon posted:

fake e:

Would you prefer a Piggly Wiggly? :colbert: That's honestly a real good real estate picture, tells you there's shopping within a few minutes, real close to a hospital in case something in that rustic nightmare decides to maim you, and you're a few minutes' hike(/swim) from parkland.

Just watch out, the owls are not what they seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

BonerGhost posted:

I like the painted ceiling in the bedroom, as if that's really going to trick you into thinking you saw daylight any time in the last month and why are you doing this to me I've told you everything I know, I swear

Actually, from experience working in a windowless "office" (drywall box tucked in a corner of a workshop) with one wall covered in a vinyl print of a tropical beach scene, it's surprisingly effective at making you not want to kill yourself.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Dareon posted:

Would you prefer a Piggly Wiggly? :colbert:

I'd prefer the united states to not be a hellhole but thats obviously impossible so

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Looks like a fairly typical town of pop 5K to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zil posted:

At first glance it looks like a rustic cabin but the longer you stare the more detail is coming to focus and you realize how horrible that would be to live in.

It looks like a barn or whatever Anglophones would call it, probably because it is some sort of outbuilding.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

"Food Lion"

That said, other than the kitchen, which is completely stupid, I...like it? I mean, clearly, this was ad-hoc by someone who considers themselves a 'craftstman' and a proper inspection would reveal untold horrors but I *love* the aesthetic.

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah River
Winter's cold here, there's no insulation
Warmer than the South Pole, if that's consolation

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, near the Food Lion
Take me home, country roads

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

To the place I belong
:five:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Is that a patio heater in the "dining room"? I'm pretty sure those are not safe to use indoors (though I guess they could open the garage door...)

EDIT: Looking at the other pictures in the listing there's two of them and they're both turned on with the door closed in at least one of the pictures :stare:

It's a barn. WIth metal siding. I run gas and diesels heaters inside mine all the time - the roof is too leaky to matter, and I suspect that's the case in there too.

Why yes, I do have a CO detector in my barn. I wasn't about to figure out if that worked or not by seeing how sleepy I got.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

3D Megadoodoo posted:

To the place I belong

:golfclap:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Dareon posted:

Would you prefer a Piggly Wiggly? :colbert:

Yes. I've seen a few Piggly Wiggly stores do growler fills of good craft beer, I have not seen that at a Food Lion (though I don't have either near me).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Motronic posted:

It's a barn. WIth metal siding. I run gas and diesels heaters inside mine all the time - the roof is too leaky to matter, and I suspect that's the case in there too.

Why yes, I do have a CO detector in my barn. I wasn't about to figure out if that worked or not by seeing how sleepy I got.

Someone keeps leaving post-it notes around the barn saying to "replace the CO detector" but it seems fine to me.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Not Wolverine posted:

... Maybe I'm just too Americanized to understand, but I feel using 8x8 beams in residential customers is simply a waste, unless your doing it for aesthetic reasons. I believe smaller dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x8, etc) is either as strong as an 8x8 frame, or strong enough for the building. You will of course need more 2x4s to get the same strength as one 8x8 post, but more straight 2x4s can be harvested from a forest than straight 8x8 posts. In addition, I think going with the 8x8 frame makes the building harder to repair in the future since you have to replace an expensive 8x8 post when something goes wrong, instead of replacing a couple cheap 2x4s....

My father in law likes to over-build. He and I made a bunk bed for my kids out of 2x6 Tamarack. The corner posts are tripled and glued with a slot to put the support edges in.. The support edges are 2x8. It's held together with carriage bolts and can be disassembled to be moved. It's heavy enough that all 260lbs of me can't tip it even if I try. It actually stays together even without the bolts because it's so heavy.

Is it pretty cool? Yes. Is it way over the top in amount of lumber and weight? Hell yes. My daughter likes it though and it leaves room for sleepovers with bison or light armored vehicles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mr.Radar posted:

Is that a patio heater in the "dining room"? I'm pretty sure those are not safe to use indoors (though I guess they could open the garage door...)

EDIT: Looking at the other pictures in the listing there's two of them and they're both turned on with the door closed in at least one of the pictures :stare:

Except it’s Virginia, so if you do open the garage door to prevent CO poisoning, your barn fills up with bugs.

Honestly the biggest problem is that it looks like it’s guaranteed to flood, particularly as this part of the country gets hotter and wetter.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 7, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8one6 posted:

Someone keeps leaving post-it notes around the barn saying to "replace the CO detector" but it seems fine to me.

In yours too?

drat I have a hell of a headache this morning.

(no, seriously.....it's actually just fine if your barn is leaky af - the CO is going up and out along with the heat. You know, physics and all.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

To the place I belong

mostlygray posted:

Is it pretty cool? Yes. Is it way over the top in amount of lumber and weight? Hell yes. My daughter likes it though and it leaves room for sleepovers with bison or light armored vehicles.

I had to laugh at that. Thanks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/jeremyzorek/status/1335472243648950272?s=20

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I was like 'haha photoshop' and nope, there one is on Amazon. :psyduck:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some Japan pics from a bike ride this morning.

Cozy neighbors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Old (company housing?) rowhouses with dodgy extensions in the yard.

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 8, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Former sake brewery.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cute neighborhood shrine with Shichi-go-san flags (ceremony to celebrate 3rd, 5th and 7th birthdays.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

peanut posted:

Some Japan pics from a bike ride this morning.

Cozy neighbors.

You know it's funny, I've never seen ladders like that before but they make perfect sense. Why SHOULDN'T ladders be much wider at the bottom to make them more stable?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just a bigger footprint overall, so it may not fit in some places.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Just a bigger footprint overall, so it may not fit in some places.

Yeah that's why you get ones with foldable extensions at the bottom.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

PurpleXVI posted:

You know it's funny, I've never seen ladders like that before but they make perfect sense. Why SHOULDN'T ladders be much wider at the bottom to make them more stable?

That's specifically what's called an arborist's ladder, they have a big end, and a narrow pole that digs into the ground for working on trees, sketchy as gently caress if you use them for anything else, I have one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elviscat posted:

they have a big end, and a narrow pole that digs into the ground

:wink:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PurpleXVI posted:

that's the kind of ladder I believe I mentioned standing on top of to poke at the stage lights with a broom in order to adjust them while I was in high school.

it was a different time.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Motronic posted:

Any recommendations for low-level CO detectors? The last round I bought were from CO Experts, but they've changed their entire product line and I feel like I've got to revisit the choices available.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tezer posted:

Any recommendations for low-level CO detectors? The last round I bought were from CO Experts, but they've changed their entire product line and I feel like I've got to revisit the choices available.

Not something I've been shopping for lately but I'd say look for something with a display that is made for an RV or similar. The basic residential ones that look like smoke detectors are fine, but not really for this purpose.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

In what environment would you be using a low level detector?

Our bedroom is close to the furnace and it's time to buy new ones, is a regular residential detector sufficient in this case?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Our bedroom is close to the furnace and it's time to buy new ones, is a regular residential detector sufficient in this case?

Close quarters like in a car/truck/van/RV/small plane. Or when you want to make sure your barn is leaky enough to run a diesel heater inside of without killing yourself.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

BonerGhost posted:

What Motronic said.

I originally got one years ago because I had a boiler exhaust leak that I wanted to keep an eye on until it got fixed. I was pretty sure it wasn't causing an issue, but the whole problem with low level CO is that it's hard to tell you're impaired. Now I just like them because they're interesting. Same reason I own a bunch of hygrometers.

No need to install one in a normal residential context. I don't think UL even really likes them, last I checked I think the argument against them was they result in additional nuisance alarms.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamwilkes/status/1336358063415177218?s=20

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Goddamn.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That kitchen has tons of counter space for how small it is, that's totally unnecessary.

But I love it because it tickles my inner child's love of hidden things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always wanted a secret passage, that owns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:aaaaa:

Yeah, like minus one for the jank of hiding a stairwell and door under a counter, but also plus eleventybillion for literally making an apartment with a secret exit.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

That kitchen has tons of counter space for how small it is, that's totally unnecessary.

Hell no, that is sweet as hell for a tiny kitchen. They added a counter top to the place where it is most needed. Figure out a way* to stick a big rear end cutting board to that section and do all of your prep/mise right near the stove and fridge. Use the rest of the counter top for appliances and poo poo that's normally such a pain to find room for in cramped spaces.

Mount some spice racks and a magnetic knife strip on the wall; there's clearance when the counter is up.

I mean, if you're single, it's sweet. Those stairs are probably completely unusable if you've got kids, an SO, or roommates. At least it isn't the other fold up&out kitchen installation we see in this thread: the kitchen cabinet toilet.

*: Painter's tape on the counter, super glue on top of the tape, cutting board on top of the super glue. It has enough grip for industrial machining but won't gently caress up the countertop

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A secret exit but not a secret entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You leave my health problems out of this thread!