Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Yep, they updated the Teams of Legend. Download from the Warhammer Community website here and despair.

I guess its not the worst idea, although it initially feels like anathema to the whole point of the vampries team.

Now you're more likely to trigger it, but it only knocks down and they get armor to resist injury. But removing the chance to "feed on a spectator" is huge, and also not feeding after you move changes everything.

Its much less fiddly than the old vampires rules, so I guess I can almost understand it in the name of streamlining, but its also the whole vampires shtick so I just don't know how I feel about that. The whole point of vampires was to be a gimmick team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As someone who has played Vampires as their primary team for like a decade, Boo to the Bloodlust change. I mean, it definitely will make them better but I think it just won't feel as interesting.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As someone who has played Vampires as their primary team for like a decade, Boo to the Bloodlust change. I mean, it definitely will make them better but I think it just won't feel as interesting.

I think I'm on the fence about whether it will make them better or worse. Most people I've spoken to think it's way way worse than before. I think it's not THAT bad but it's obviously an enormous change.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Zaphod42 posted:

But removing the chance to "feed on a spectator" is huge, and also not feeding after you move changes everything.

Not killing your own thralls is awesome. Except that the vampires move (and pass) on a 4+ now, which is hosed up.

(I believe this change made them worse.)

Also staying on topic, I never posted my vamps here from the Oath thread so:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You can still kill them (if I understand the rules right), although it'll take extremely unlucky rolls.

And I think they changed bloodlust in BB at some point so that it would only be a wound, you couldn't kill? IDK I'm no master referee.

Those Vampires are really nice. The red armor makes me think of Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Your Vampire in a risky touchdown scoring position catching the ball then running off the field rather than get the game winning Blood Bowl point is the experience I crave. The perfect Blood Bowl moment, pure and unsullied.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm new to Blood Bowl and have only been playing the video game version so far. I've noticed that sometimes a game will end early if I'm ahead but not always. The last game I played I was up 2-0 and had the final turn but still had a chance to play out that final turn even though there was no changing the outcome of the game. Is that just there to possibly injure the other team's players for spp?

I'm having fun with it but I still feel like I'm just flailing about half the time. There was a point where I couldn't use a re-roll on my turn and I thought I hadn't used it earlier in the turn. Are there certain actions that don't let you use the reroll? I believe I failed a going-for-it to extend my movement but wasn't able to re-roll it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

I'm new to Blood Bowl and have only been playing the video game version so far. I've noticed that sometimes a game will end early if I'm ahead but not always. The last game I played I was up 2-0 and had the final turn but still had a chance to play out that final turn even though there was no changing the outcome of the game. Is that just there to possibly injure the other team's players for spp?

I'm having fun with it but I still feel like I'm just flailing about half the time. There was a point where I couldn't use a re-roll on my turn and I thought I hadn't used it earlier in the turn. Are there certain actions that don't let you use the reroll? I believe I failed a going-for-it to extend my movement but wasn't able to re-roll it.

IIRC you're only allowed one re-roll, including from skills, so it may have been that your player had a skill that allowed them a free re-roll, and the game already tried it, so denied you spending you re-roll for another after?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Jolo posted:

Yep! We call it "the bonus round" where you can try to bash some skulls in ,and I always attempt a pass usually on my player who only needs 1 SPP for a level up. (And then you get a Blitz! event)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Also staying on topic, I never posted my vamps here from the Oath thread so:

These look awesome

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess its not the worst idea, although it initially feels like anathema to the whole point of the vampries team.

Now you're more likely to trigger it, but it only knocks down and they get armor to resist injury. But removing the chance to "feed on a spectator" is huge, and also not feeding after you move changes everything.

Its much less fiddly than the old vampires rules, so I guess I can almost understand it in the name of streamlining, but its also the whole vampires shtick so I just don't know how I feel about that. The whole point of vampires was to be a gimmick team.

I think the rules change is bad but it might also be a placeholder until they get the Spike! treatment. I think a lot of the Teams of Legend will be like this, as the rosters are unchanged from CRP except for price changes and tweaking skills to match the new format (like on the High Elf thrower).

I have a spreadsheet of some ideas for TV1000 builds, if people are interested. I'm tempted to do a blog of all the changes and the implications that come from the new rules, as I can't actually play BB or run my league right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fTeEL-Eh_XGBhCkvY6Aa7tabbUOa0if7BfwnJUyhHQ4/edit?usp=sharing

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Jolo posted:

If you're playing in the campaign as opposed to a league game, there are sometimes specific victory conditions that will end the match early, but I think those are very early in the campaign and exist primarily as a tutorial to get you familiar with the rules proper.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

IIRC you're only allowed one re-roll, including from skills, so it may have been that your player had a skill that allowed them a free re-roll, and the game already tried it, so denied you spending you re-roll for another after?

Aha, I think that player that pushed his luck may have rerolled his dodge roll. The game resolves that quickly so I probably didn't even notice the reroll.

Thanks for all of the answers from everyone, lots of good info.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you're playing in the campaign as opposed to a league game, there are sometimes specific victory conditions that will end the match early, but I think those are very early in the campaign and exist primarily as a tutorial to get you familiar with the rules proper.

Yeah I've been playing the campaign. I think each match has ended early if I get up 3-0. I suppose that's just to move things along in a single player mode.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Jolo posted:

Yeah I've been playing the campaign. I think each match has ended early if I get up 3-0. I suppose that's just to move things along in a single player mode.

Strongly recommend starting to play against humans instead of AI as soon as is practical, the AI for BB2 is very poor indeed and teaches you almost nothing about the game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It teaches you the interface and basic concepts and so is valuable. Not for much more than that though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Strongly recommend starting to play against humans instead of AI as soon as is practical, the AI for BB2 is very poor indeed and teaches you almost nothing about the game.

Yeah the AI occasionally just ignores the ball carrier and bullies a random lineman with 4 of their guys. I think the campaign does a good job of layering in the rules little by little so it's easy to follow what is going on. Although now the turns are timed and when the Dwarves I was up against brought out a murderplow I spent half my turn reading about all of its abilities.

I've got a buddy into the game also so at some point we'll have to play together. If anyone on here does an online league hopefully I'll notice in time to sign up. Probably get wrecked but yeah I'm sure playing against a person shows way more about how people play the game effectively.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Now that BB3 is one the horizon, I finally got the group interested in BB2. Hooray? I played a few games in campaign mode yesterday, and while I do like it, there were some weird things - I didn't like how campaign starts off with your first two games allowing you to fumble the ball or have a player go down, but then allows you to carry on with your turn. I get it from a learning perspective, but it doesn't really tell you that it's removing those rules, so when you hit game three, it's a real kick in the balls when you've gotten used to not mitigating your risk and immediately have your ogre roll three loving skulls and drop like a sack of bricks onto the pitch. It was enjoyable though, and we're starting a four man season this weekend just to re familiarize with the game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Anecdotally, what other GW boxed games have been gaining traction? I like the look and simplicity of Warcry as a sort of beer and pretzels tabletop game, but the $200+ starter box is a pretty absurd barrier to entry. Same with Necromunda, though the setting appeals to me less. So if I got into a GW skirmish game it'd probably have to be all in on one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I don't know much about Warcry, but Necromunda is not a beer and pretzels game. On top of the modeling/terrain requirements, it needs about as much paperwork and management as a D&D-style tabletop RPG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Kill Team has a lot of cheap entry options because a few full teams can be made with like $30 boxes. The game is pretty quick too at 30-45 minutes with a lot of variety. It’s the 40k equivalent of Warcry, but not quite as simple as far as I understand.

Honestly none of them are good beer and pretzels games though. I think of those as easy to learn and play games that require no prep time and anyone can jump in and join you, so unless you’re going to make squads for others and all even things like Underworlds is a poor choice since it requires deck lists on top of modeling. If GW hadn’t taken the license away from FFG and FFG didn’t get dismantled by Asmodee we could probably have more cool stuff like the Warhammer Discwars and Blood Bowl Team Manager games which were perfect for that beer and pretzels kind of thing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Anecdotally, what other GW boxed games have been gaining traction? I like the look and simplicity of Warcry as a sort of beer and pretzels tabletop game, but the $200+ starter box is a pretty absurd barrier to entry. Same with Necromunda, though the setting appeals to me less. So if I got into a GW skirmish game it'd probably have to be all in on one.

Underworlds might be closer to what you're looking for

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Unless you're playing WHU with one person and you don't care about the risk of your deck sucking out of the box OR you are willing to print proxy cards, it's not a beer and pretzels game either.

Honestly, BB, KT and Warcry are probably closest to what you're looking for:

You can do BB out of the box - it is a little pricey, but you really dont need to buy anything else, and you should be able to get it for around $120 with discounts. For a two player GW game, that's kind of reasonable.

Other people can speak to KT, since I don't play, but I know all you really need is the core book and 10-ish models. Yes, you'll need terrain, but 90% of GW games need terrain.

Warcry will also need terrain and about 10-ish models, but you can get away with buying just the core rulebook and a card pack (or faction box.) You aren't required to use the terrain and cards that are in the core sets (though cards can add some flavor), as long as you try to set things up fairly. Frankly, IMO Catacombs is a terrible deal - it's more expensive than the original core set which had more and better terrain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BB teams are super cheap too, so if you can get the rules and a pitch you could avoid getting the big box if you don't like those teams.

I guess you need special dice and the range finder but you could get them used on ebay for cheap probably

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kill Team is a bad dead game that isn't awful, but I would wait for a 2nd Edition. If it doesn't get one pass.

Warcry is a really fun game, and a nice place where it is mostly simple but some fun depth with the special faction rules. Also the quest format adds a lot of great narrative spice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is Kill Team actually dead?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They teased some new release for it a month or so ago so not yet. I would imagine it'll get an update to coincide with 9th edition.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

Depends on if a whole new edition happens or not. Right now definitely it is.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

It's not a boxed game and also isn't really beer and pretzels so I'm basically just using this opportunity to constantly bring up that Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game is the best game that GW makes and contains both the literal best sculpts they've ever done and ALSO the worst sculpts they've ever done!

Come play Hobbits

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Man I hope not cause I haven’t even painted mine yet, I’m a slow painter

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
contains both the literal best sculpts they've ever done and ALSO the worst sculpts they've ever done!

Come play Hobbits, milord
The size of their Middle Earth catalog is amazing, and surprisingly for GW there's more true 25mm overall here

Tossing out some nods for offerings that I'd pay to NOT have to own.
Barrels out of Bond
Watcher in the Water

The Mumak with Howdah & 12 Haradrim kit is something everyone should own.

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 9, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it worth picking up the older warbands for Underworlds? I'm gonna start playing again with a buddy of mine from work who hasn't played with me since we messed around with the Nightvault starter and this time I'd like to start collecting some of the other warbands to mess around with. I also wanted to ask if some of the older card expansions are still good to pick up or if the cards in them are irrelevant now that they've rotated out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve done it. It’s taken like nine months, but I’m finally started using the pandemic to paint and model a ton of crap I had sitting around.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I’ve done it. It’s taken like nine months, but I’m finally started using the pandemic to paint and model a ton of crap I had sitting around.

Good on you mate. Now post pics or STFU !

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

AnEdgelord posted:

Is it worth picking up the older warbands for Underworlds? I'm gonna start playing again with a buddy of mine from work who hasn't played with me since we messed around with the Nightvault starter and this time I'd like to start collecting some of the other warbands to mess around with. I also wanted to ask if some of the older card expansions are still good to pick up or if the cards in them are irrelevant now that they've rotated out.
Basically, if you're just playing with friends, go hog wild and get whatever looks cool. For organized play, the old card expansions (anything released during Shadespire or Nightvault) have been cycled out, and especially the Shadespire warbands aren't really competitive at that level, but for casual play? It's all good, there's even an official game mode (Relic) using all the cards ever that's explicitly supported. (That said, balance and rules writing have improved since Shadespire launched, and the newer warbands are often more interesting or easier to play, but that's not something you'd notice until you've played a bunch, probably.)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

It's completely fine. Only the older universal cards aren't valid anymore in tournaments unless a newer card with the same name exists (use the newer card's text in case it's updated) and even then you can just agree to use them anyway (we do when I play with friends).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

You'll probably have better luck playing concurrent seasons together (S01 vs S02 or S02 vs S03) rather than mixing (S01 vs S03) due to the mentioned rules improvements, as well as certain skills that were implemented in later seasons that might give a newer warband a significant advantage over an older one. It's still a fun game, and if you're playing very casually, you'll be fine. The big issues arise if you play at all competitively, even if you're just among friends. Certain warbands also really suck out of the box (Eyes of the Nine, for instance) and you'll have a hard time making a deck that has any chance of winning if you don't supplement with expansion cards.

That being said, if WHU is your only hobby game, it wouldn't be terribly expensive to follow the meta - the core is $75 and warbands are $35 each, so you could get away with spending under $300 per season and have the majority of the cards. If you were smart and sold the warbands and their decks on Ebay, you could put a significant dent in that $300.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Never gonna stop playing Fyreslayerz, not even once.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

You don't actually need the $200 starter box. It's just helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I'm trying to come up with a house rule for teams that are not as good as others in a Blood Bowl league. (Halflings, goblins, snotlings , etc.) Would it be game breaky if these teams would be able to roll winnings as if they won the game, as long as they didnt also fight a stunty team?

Call it like, " Punching Up fee."

Or "Wow, you actually showed up?!"