Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

Edit: if someone wants to help me and/or if tartifett rehosts his blightfall modpack with updated mods and other stuff I could use that.

The whatnow? Updating mods on Blightfall feels especially dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

The whatnow? Updating mods on Blightfall feels especially dangerous.

Taffer made a clone of the blightfall modpack and it had updated mods for that version of minecraft, a bunch of which had quality of life updates, crash fixes, bug fixes, config tweaks, and other stuff. He doesn't have his improved blightfall modpack files anymore.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I just got to LV tier in GT:NH. :toot:

same. just spent ages loving about with pipes to deliver steam to a turbine and was grimly amused by the disparity between LV pumps (640mb/t) and steel pipes (an absolute shitload/t). made a load of tanks for nothing

i have cheated in an unbreakable builders wand and created a colossal 54-chunk industrial platform on a river delta. i suspect it will not be enough space

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

same. just spent ages loving about with pipes to deliver steam to a turbine and was grimly amused by the disparity between LV pumps (640mb/t) and steel pipes (an absolute shitload/t). made a load of tanks for nothing

i have cheated in an unbreakable builders wand and created a colossal 54-chunk industrial platform on a river delta. i suspect it will not be enough space

That might be enough space, although verticality is advised to reduce wire transmission and pipe length. 9x6 chunks sounds like around what I end up with by HV.

Don't try to transport steam, it's better to make it on site, maybe into a railcraft tank since those have high output rates, no pumps needed. Once you can make batteries put one in every machine and plug the turbines into a battery buffers (make sure to use cables equal to the batteries in the buffer! So 4x cable for a 4 slot buffer!).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I know I personally messed around with the Blightfall mods too without any obvious hitches. I think the main thing to worry about is breaking some quest recognition in the quest book due to updating a mod, but I don't even think that actually happened either. I had that happened with other modpacks and all of my BFSR shenanigans, but I don't recall having it happen with Blightfall.

I can't remember what I was trying to do with it. I want to think Cooking for Blockheads was part of it. I do remember turning off the Thaumcraft research minigame.

The main thing with a server and this and that you publish the alterations so the clients can properly get them too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Playin' dat GTNH. Home sweet fetid swamp home.

Slowly building the LV machines. Making that steam tank from hand tools at a hideous material efficiency penalty was still worth it.

It's powered from the terrifying might of one (1) solid fuel boiler and one (1) solar boiler that I cobbled together from all the silver I found in small silver veins. Didn't want to build any more than that because of the material efficiency penalty of hand tools. It obviously can't keep up with even moderate use of any of those machines on its own, but I let the boilers trickle charge the tank over time and usually it's enough for a good burst of usage. It allows for cycles of using machines and then public works projects like building roads or digging out nearby ore veins while I let the tank recharge.

help i need AE2

Also, a reminder to do the Loot Games dungeons underground. They do a pattern repetition game like Simon Says for goodies. They're easy to find using journeymap because they have light sources inside; just look around in the cave view when you're underground. They take up the entire chunk and are dark-greenish colored. I scored some ender IO fluid conduits and they've made my life a lot easier. Don't forget to cheat like hell and write down the pattern so you can get the most rewards.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, a lucky soul who didn't run into the Minesweeper Loot Game first.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Railcraft boilers are awesome for steam generation because they can run on straight wood. Make a tool forge for a lumber axe and you will have so much wood you don't even care about only getting 2 planks per log. (Make alumite blend with dusts, not via smeltery alloying!).

Also you might not realize but the forge hammer can make plates at 3:2, which beats hammering for 2:1 and saves you the pain of making a dozen hammers. Probably too late assuming you built a bending machine as your first LV machine.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Crafttweaker modifications to an existing script system are great, you find out all sorts of things like that Sevtech Ages of the Sky has literal load bearing oligarch mobs

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Railcraft boilers are awesome for steam generation because they can run on straight wood. Make a tool forge for a lumber axe and you will have so much wood you don't even care about only getting 2 planks per log. (Make alumite blend with dusts, not via smeltery alloying!).

Also you might not realize but the forge hammer can make plates at 3:2, which beats hammering for 2:1 and saves you the pain of making a dozen hammers. Probably too late assuming you built a bending machine as your first LV machine.

Ooh, I forgot about railcraft boilers. I think you can run 10 coke ovens to power a 2x2x2 low pressure boiler continually, or that's what I did in other 1.7.10 packs. I don't want to think about making 10 coke ovens, though.

And, yeah, I went for material efficiency improving options straight away. I played through like 2/3rds of FTB Interactions, a 1.12 pack, which ran a gregtech clone mod that is turning out to be fairly similar to GTNH's version. That's why my machine stack is so spartan; I've spent the bare minimum of resources needed to get to LV and the bender, wiremill, lathe, assembler, etc. The only exception to this was that steam tank, since I knew banking steam was going to be extremely powerful (and it was!)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ooh, I forgot about railcraft boilers. I think you can run 10 coke ovens to power a 2x2x2 low pressure boiler continually, or that's what I did in other 1.7.10 packs. I don't want to think about making 10 coke ovens, though.

And, yeah, I went for material efficiency improving options straight away. I played through like 2/3rds of FTB Interactions, a 1.12 pack, which ran a gregtech clone mod that is turning out to be fairly similar to GTNH's version. That's why my machine stack is so spartan; I've spent the bare minimum of resources needed to get to LV and the bender, wiremill, lathe, assembler, etc. The only exception to this was that steam tank, since I knew banking steam was going to be extremely powerful (and it was!)

I wanna super warn you about making assumptions in power generation based on defaults/other packs. for instance, the baseline ic2 nuke produces 10x default power.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Hooplah posted:

I wanna super warn you about making assumptions in power generation based on defaults/other packs. for instance, the baseline ic2 nuke produces 10x default power.

Yeah but benzene is king and bio-diesel is good, too. Ordo infused solar panels are really expensive but fantastic for running small, always on machines like a centrifuge turning compressed air into oxygen and nitrogen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

Yeah, I'd obviously look up the rates in the config. There's an ancient Railcraft boiler calculator that is configurable enough to compensate for any screwy config changes. I just remember the "10 coke ovens = 2x2x2" thing. I wonder if I can do Steve's Carts soon for the wood...

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I'd obviously look up the rates in the config. There's an ancient Railcraft boiler calculator that is configurable enough to compensate for any screwy config changes. I just remember the "10 coke ovens = 2x2x2" thing. I wonder if I can do Steve's Carts soon for the wood...

Just force steve's carts if you can. that's a great way to farm wood automated...ly. I use forestry's farms though. found them easy to set up.

It seems the centrifuge recipe for rubber wood to get all the tasty byproducts is STILL loving BUSTED though. that was one of my first automation projects in my old world. it produces enough methane to power itself with an lv generator, while producing surplus methane and unlimited resin, plant balls, and wood dust. amazing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Especially given how bad modded Minecraft's performance and memory handling tend to be, I really, really wish these big industrial mods and packs would focus on upgrades rather than multiplication. Having to build 10x of a multiblock to fuel 1x of another multiblock is an instant turnoff to me just from the perspectives of tedium, space management, and TPS/FPS hit. I'd so much rather have 1 structure that I can upgrade to work at 10x speed. I guess the appeal for a lot of people in these factory-style packs is seeing a whole long row of machines all pumping out supplies over belted conveyors, but even if I'm the odd one out here I'd really just rather have something compact that runs smoothly.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I'm up to HV on the GT:NH official servers, been playing on and off for literal years at this point. Decided to build up in the middle of a lake, that way I don't have to worry about walls and stuff.

The view from the Nature platform back to Engineering

The view from inside the main power hall, I'm running on a pair of large steel boilers, mostly because I'm stubborn and wanted to use steam to it's logical conclusion. It's bad don't do this.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Especially given how bad modded Minecraft's performance and memory handling tend to be, I really, really wish these big industrial mods and packs would focus on upgrades rather than multiplication. Having to build 10x of a multiblock to fuel 1x of another multiblock is an instant turnoff to me just from the perspectives of tedium, space management, and TPS/FPS hit. I'd so much rather have 1 structure that I can upgrade to work at 10x speed. I guess the appeal for a lot of people in these factory-style packs is seeing a whole long row of machines all pumping out supplies over belted conveyors, but even if I'm the odd one out here I'd really just rather have something compact that runs smoothly.

If this is directed at the gtnh talk, that sort of upgrading is central to gregtech's design. every tier is 4 times higher than the previous in terms of both energy costs and production. you can absolutely just make 2^n LV power producers and step them up to n voltage tier, but most just submit to the efficiency hit and build higher tier producers. it would be super funny to see a high tier base powered by a huge bank of lv generators actually

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Is there a downside, in GTNH, to building your base in the Twilight Forest? It's so flat, and monsters don't spawn on the surface.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kafouille posted:

I'm up to HV on the GT:NH official servers, been playing on and off for literal years at this point. Decided to build up in the middle of a lake, that way I don't have to worry about walls and stuff.

Are you sure you aren't roleplaying Snake by remaking Mother Base in minecraft like that?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kafouille posted:

"Now I won't have to worry about walls"

-Guy that just built an island

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is there a downside, in GTNH, to building your base in the Twilight Forest? It's so flat, and monsters don't spawn on the surface.

It might be kind of annoying to take out the huge trees? also you'll have to go back through the overworld to go to the nether, or to launch any rockets. Doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but i just built walls and lit my base up, so eh. i'm also not sure how well solar panels would work, if you felt like using those. actually, anything that needs light, eg crops, might be kind of a pain.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Why worry about walls at all? Just kill anything that gets into your base. Mobgriefing off, obviously.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hooplah posted:

If this is directed at the gtnh talk, that sort of upgrading is central to gregtech's design. every tier is 4 times higher than the previous in terms of both energy costs and production. you can absolutely just make 2^n LV power producers and step them up to n voltage tier, but most just submit to the efficiency hit and build higher tier producers. it would be super funny to see a high tier base powered by a huge bank of lv generators actually
Not leveled at GT in particular, no. I appreciate that much, definitely, but some things don't scale, generally from other mods (like the coke ovens) and I remember a lot of tedium in working with those.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Well, even stuff like that has upgrade options. For coke ovens, you can make the advanced coke oven which does away with creosote entirely and has a tremendous speed boost- it has to be over 10x, i'm not sure. there's also the pile igniter, kinda like how you make charcoal in terrafirmacraft, but the pile can be absolutely huge (like 11x11x5) and it just needs one lv machine to work. then there's my favorite, the pyrolyse oven. this thing is huge and requires significant material investment. it has coils that can be upgraded to higher tiers for speed multipliers and it can optionally take nitrogen for a speed boost. it consumes whole stacks of wood at a time and spits out configurable tasty tasty byproducts. i was using this thing hooked up to a multiblock distillery to make wood tar and produce useful stuff like benzene and tnt.

basically every machine in gtnh has a multiblock equivalent with upgradable parts and lots of options for automation, it rules.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hooplah posted:

Well, even stuff like that has upgrade options. For coke ovens, you can make the advanced coke oven which does away with creosote entirely and has a tremendous speed boost- it has to be over 10x, i'm not sure. there's also the pile igniter, kinda like how you make charcoal in terrafirmacraft, but the pile can be absolutely huge (like 11x11x5) and it just needs one lv machine to work. then there's my favorite, the pyrolyse oven. this thing is huge and requires significant material investment. it has coils that can be upgraded to higher tiers for speed multipliers and it can optionally take nitrogen for a speed boost. it consumes whole stacks of wood at a time and spits out configurable tasty tasty byproducts. i was using this thing hooked up to a multiblock distillery to make wood tar and produce useful stuff like benzene and tnt.

basically every machine in gtnh has a multiblock equivalent with upgradable parts and lots of options for automation, it rules.

Yeah, but I think he meant IE coke ovens, which have no accelerated version and your only option to get more coal coke faster is to build more coke ovens. Like I'm playing FTB University, and coal coke is the cheapest way to make steel, coal-wise. Though, now that I finally have an excavator running, coal is no longer an issue for me, so I'll probably just use the 4 coal dust to one iron recipe now because it's faster.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ah, I assumed vib was talking about a previous foray into gtnh where being forced into coke ovens to produce coke/charcoal turned them off. just trying to illustrate how you're by no means forced into going wide rather than tall in terms of production tech. there's like five different ways of making steel in gtnh that require varying levels of tech with different efficiencies and material requirements. its a really well designed pack you guys

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I was used to the old gregtech progression and made a couple of stacks of bronze before discovering the primitive blast furnace doesn't cost bronze anymore.
It's arguably even more of a grind though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is far more of a grind imo

you'll use that bronze though, thankfully

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I was used to the old gregtech progression and made a couple of stacks of bronze before discovering the primitive blast furnace doesn't cost bronze anymore.
It's arguably even more of a grind though.

What are you talking about? The bricked blast furnace was easy peasy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

madness. what is your setup that you were able to make that many bricks in early LV?

e- oh i get it. that house spawned with an enormous brick stairway. I had one of those in a regular arrangement and it still gave me enough bricks to build everything i needed in lv. nice find.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

madness. what is your setup that you were able to make that many bricks in early LV?

e- oh i get it. that house spawned with an enormous brick stairway. I had one of those in a regular arrangement and it still gave me enough bricks to build everything i needed in lv. nice find.

Yeah, that's just the bricks I had left over after I ground up enough for a blast furnace. :v:

I think you electrolyze clay for aluminum in MV? Well, maybe -- I've found a ridiculous amount of aluminum gravel. Either way I think I'm covered once I get there.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I recently got to MV in GT:NH, and man the decision paralysis is real, there's so many options and things to do. I can tell you this though: MV Electrolyzer is a massive gamechanger.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

What are you talking about? The bricked blast furnace was easy peasy.

The bricks are fine since you can salvage them from worldgen, yeah. Gypsum and... the other mineralCalcite were the annoying parts for me.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 11, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

The bricks are fine since you can salvage them from worldgen, yeah. Gypsum and... the other mineralCalcite were the annoying parts for me.

I may have cheated in an extremely high tech ore scanner.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i also did this, and strongly recommend it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Is there a way to wedge Optifine into GT:NH without it just crashing on load? The only recommendation I saw was to upgrade Fastcraft to 1.25, which I did, to no avail.

EDIT: Seem to have solved it: a little bit of Minecraft was still running(???) so when I updated Fastcraft it didn't actually delete 1.23

Patware fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 12, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I recently got to MV in GT:NH, and man the decision paralysis is real, there's so many options and things to do. I can tell you this though: MV Electrolyzer is a massive gamechanger.

My first MV project is always startup benzene production. I like to build a 2x2x2 block of coke ovens and use pumps and hoppers to automate it. Charcoal in an MV fluid extractor coal tar (or something?) which distills into benzene. Benzene is has an energy density over 500 times that of steam, so I just tank it and move cells around by hand for much of MV.

MV electrolyser is indeed the start of something beautiful. Tear apart a mesa and revel in your aluminum and lithium supplies.

You can also start thaumcraft and make redlons and thaumium for tool parts. You need to hit HV for stainless steel (and kill a lich or three) to make a great wood wand, though.

It's also a good idea to set up a compressor/centrifuge loop for oxygen and nitrogen (makes aluminum smelt faster!) You also want an arc furnace for making wrought iron super fast to facilitate steel making in the EBF. It's exhilarating to make a stack of steel in 5 minutes vs. 4-6 hours in a BBF.

Also use the forestry machines to make ethanol as it's an easy way to make ethylene in a chemical dehydrator, and can be used to make biodiesel if you set up a fish farm! Way easier with the fermenter + still than with the gregtech machines. I use carrots in a fluid extractor for fruit juice (50% more biomass yield) and mulch (catalyst for fermentation).

Oh and one last tip! Make Redstone Alloy (the enderIO metal, not the red alloy). Redstone Alloy cables are superconductor LV cables, so they have zero eu loss. You can even transmit MV power with transformers and 4x cables. Every other tier of superconducting cable is absurdly expensive, but lossless LV cables are incredibly useful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in the LV tier, are there many options for getting creosote out of railcraft coke ovens? the "build ten ovens" quest appears to be full of lies, as it implies you can use pumps and conveyor covers on the railcraft ovens and this does not appear to be the case

hopping out the charcoal is easy but i don't want to gently caress about making sixteen redstone clocks if i don't have to

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in the LV tier, are there many options for getting creosote out of railcraft coke ovens? the "build ten ovens" quest appears to be full of lies, as it implies you can use pumps and conveyor covers on the railcraft ovens and this does not appear to be the case

hopping out the charcoal is easy but i don't want to gently caress about making sixteen redstone clocks if i don't have to

Make an lv pump (the item not the block) and attach it to the face of a pipe touching the coke oven. Use a screw driver to switch it to input mode.

Yeah it's confusing because the pumps and conveyors have to be on the pipes because the coke ovens aren't GT blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ahhh nice

nice

my duel boiler setup can finally come to fruitition, and then be immediately outclassed when i tech up to mv