Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

OT Thesis:
Storm Troopers signed up for this and they deserve neither pity nor mercy.

PT Antithesis:
Clone Troopers are a child slave army and their situation is deeply hosed up.

ST Synthesis:
Storm Troopers are a child slave army and they deserve neither pity nor mercy.

Ah, neoliberalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

It would have unironically kicked rear end if they had Boba's helmet fall off in Return of the Jedi... show the audience this face, glasses and all, right before he falls into the Sarlacc Pit. Would Boba have remained a revered figure among nerds in the decades following the OT, or would seeing the face quash that?

I think that guy was only Boba for the SE reshoots in the 90s

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I looked at the influx of recent posts and expected them to be about the unexpected return of an old favorite, I just didn't think it would be Cnut.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AdmiralViscen posted:

I think that guy was only Boba for the SE reshoots in the 90s
That, or an uncredited stuntman. This is Jeremy Bulloch:

He retired from doing convention appearances a couple years ago, so I doubt we'll see him pop up in anything more than a brief cameo.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's pretty obvious the prequels are about Lucas processing his traumatic breakup with Marcia. All other readings are secondary to that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Basebf555 posted:

Are glasses a thing in Star Wars? Has anyone ever worn glasses in a Star Wars movie? I guess Vader, technically speaking.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 8, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

It's pretty obvious the prequels are about Lucas processing his traumatic breakup with Spielberg. All other readings are secondary to that.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

The United States posted:

Also, frankly, if there aren't any clunky lines then it ain't Star Wars

Or a mix of good and bad sfx

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There was a guy in Rebels who was just straight-up Pablo Hidalgo, glasses and all

Chopper blew him up good

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
even if we interpret gl's word as god he explicitly says on the TPM commentary track that the jedi are basically behaving like mafia enforcers on behalf of the senate

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Clearly Lucas is in favor of thugenomics.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean this reads as incredibly dry sarcasm to me

Yeah, he's been known to do this

And even not, he's clearly speaking from the republican perception in that instance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

They've ceded all authority over political matters to the galactic government they serve.

The interesting about this is that it also perfectly describes the WW2 army of the wermacht, the word galactic aside. One of the key criticisms of the wermacht was they declared themselves politically neutral, which of course massively aided the oppressive government, which parallels Star Wars. Though, in that case, the government at the beginning is merely lovely rather than actually evil. Alan Clark goes into a fair bit of detail, but the idea of 'we were just following orders' started at the highest levels of German command.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

WIlford Brimley wore glasses in the second ewok movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ungulateman posted:

even if we interpret gl's word as god he explicitly says on the TPM commentary track that the jedi are basically behaving like mafia enforcers on behalf of the senate

He's right because he's George Lucas and they make this explicit in Clone Wars also when Asohka and [Barris?] have a conversation about how they're Jedi and are therefore supposed to be peacekeepers and one of them says with disillusion that like "we are peacekeepers, just being a peacekeeper means killing whoever the Republic tells you to" and it was cool to have a kids show speak in such ways.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po3Cdswi99k

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean this reads as incredibly dry sarcasm to me

You can't be serious.

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah, he's been known to do this

And even not, he's clearly speaking from the republican perception in that instance.

He's explaining his views on the Jedi to an interviewer seeking insights about the films. He isn't being an obscurantist or trying to trick him with dry sarcasm. You people are truly incredible. Just do the Death of the Author thing, seriously. It's far less painful.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 9, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sarcasm isn't really a trick like spinning, and I agree he's not being obscurantist? But like you said, he's dead and that is how the Republic and the monks perceive the Jedi, even when they are obviously wrong.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ungulateman posted:

Yes, you guys have managed to zero in on the one thing he's being jokey and facetious about and take it 100% seriously, while constructing an elaborate narrative where Lucas is always trying to trick people interviewing him in good faith whenever he says something you don't like.

Here's Lucas talking to a group of students and answering questions in 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdGd0MlmvI&t=1280s

quote:

Student: Was the Jedi, the idea of the Jedi, based on compassion? Or love, or...?

Lucas: Yeah. It's based on compassion...The Jedi's basic job in the beginning--which we never get to see too much of because we start really during the war--they were like marshals in the Old West, when they would go from town to town and they would, you know, help solve the problem. And in a lot of cases the marshals and the judges were pretty much the same thing, and they would just travel, and they would bring justice and solve problems for people, which is kind of what Jedi are. And they're negotiators, they're not fighters. They're negotiators--sort of like the mafia. [Laughs] They're compassionate negotiators with a very big laser sword, which they don't like to use, but if somebody, you know, doesn't want to solve the problem, then they'll solve it for them so to speak. Which is an incentive for people to solve their problems without fighting. But that's where all that comes from.

He isn't being sarcastic or trying to gently caress with these kids, either. He's just being a normal person. And you can see that when he says the Jedi are kind of like the mafia, he laughs, because he obviously isn't being entirely serious. What he is being serious about, on the other hand, is the idea that the Jedi are "compassionate negotiators" who are "not fighters" and who "don't like to use" their lightsabers, but will if they're forced to.

Blood Boils posted:

Sarcasm isn't really a trick like spinning, and I agree he's not being obscurantist? But like you said, he's dead and that is how the Republic and the monks perceive the Jedi, even when they are obviously wrong.

"I" never said he's dead. That was the text speaking. This post, and all "my" posts, are separate and independent texts which may relate to each other in various ways, but don't necessarily lend themselves to one consistent interpretation. I find this freedom from accountability liberating.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The phrase “the Jedi have moral authority in the Republic” is true.

The phrase “Palpatine has moral authority in the Empire” is also true.

Slavery is moral on Jakkooine, etc.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

josh04 posted:

Laughing my rear end off at the thought of George Lucas saying "They're the most moral of anybody in the galaxy!", with a little flourish and hand gesture for "They're monks!"

He's just describing the setting of the films though. It wouldn't make any sense for the moral decay of the Jedi to be a theme in the prequels if they weren't the most moral force in the republic . The story is "The heroes and protectors of the Republic are destroyed from within", not "Dexter Jettster and co gently caress it up real big this time".

This is 100% correct, and there is a valid critique to be made of the way the films portray the Jedi's role as heroic, given some of the arguably authoritarian undertones in their job description. But the point is that this is a viewer's critique of the film, not the film's critique of the Jedi. The narrative presented by the films ceases to make any sense if the Jedi do not start out essentially good and virtuous in their function as conflict mediators for the Republic. There cannot be a decline if there is no established baseline of heroism.

The opening sequence of Episode I (and really the film as a whole) establishes who the Jedi are and what their role is supposed to be in the galaxy. When Qui-Gon says, "I can only protect you. I can't fight a war for you," that's a statement about who the Jedi are. Episode II introduces the complication that causes the Jedi to stray from who they are. At the beginning of the movie, Mace Windu again explains the role of the Jedi: "We're keepers of the peace. Not soldiers." Yet by the end of the film, they've been driven by hard circumstance into forgoing their peacekeeping role and becoming soldiers. This is the beginning of their moral degradation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEET8IdkRnY&t=351s

quote:

George Lucas: The Jedi are always sort of fighting this reality of the fact that they're, in essence, diplomats. They sort of persuade people to do the right thing, but their job isn't really to go around fighting people. Yet they're now used as generals and they're fighting in a war. They're doing something they really weren't meant to do.

The cause of their fall is their participation in war. It's why Yoda tells Luke, "Wars not make one great." It may be that war becomes necessary and that soldiers must be soldiers, but the Jedi are monks. They need to be something else, because if they aren't, no one else will be, and everything falls to pieces. That doesn't mean standing by and letting people die because you're ignoring who the good guys and bad guys are. But it does mean taking a more conscientious view of what it is exactly that you're doing, whether you're fighting for the right reasons, and whether you're even fighting the right people. It's hard to do that when you've taken command of an army for one side.

Does this make sense in light of how the Jedi are portrayed as operating at the best of times? Maybe not! But that's a problem with the films.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The phrase “the Jedi have moral authority in the Republic” is true.

The phrase “Palpatine has moral authority in the Empire” is also true.

Slavery is moral on Jakkooine, etc.

The phrase "I have moral authority over SMG's taint/ball area" is also true.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cnut the Great posted:

The phrase "I have moral authority over SMG's taint/ball area" is also true.

Is there something you want to tell us?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
imagining cnut getting increasingly heated by george lucas' earnest, serious comments about "darth insanius" being a sith name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth Explodio

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cnut the Great posted:

Yes, you guys have managed to zero in on the one thing he's being jokey and facetious about and take it 100% seriously, while constructing an elaborate narrative where Lucas is always trying to trick people interviewing him in good faith whenever he says something you don't like.

He isn't being sarcastic or trying to gently caress with these kids, either. He's just being a normal person. And you can see that when he says the Jedi are kind of like the mafia, he laughs, because he obviously isn't being entirely serious. What he is being serious about, on the other hand, is the idea that the Jedi are "compassionate negotiators" who are "not fighters" and who "don't like to use" their lightsabers, but will if they're forced to.

It seems to me that he laughs because what he said is funny. He doesn't laugh after his followup line in which he points out that Jedi carry flashy lethal weapons around to serve as implicit threats.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/TheMarcFillion/status/908754644893126656

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Darth Insanius: ridiculous, implausible, only an utter fool could assume it was not meant in jest

Darth Plagueis: solemn, serious, an excellent choice to use in a pivotal scene

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Darth Insanius: ridiculous, implausible, only an utter fool could assume it was not meant in jest

Darth Plagueis: solemn, serious, an excellent choice to use in a pivotal scene

Precisely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Virgin Insanius and the Chad Plaguies

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise and the Comedy of Darth Insanius the Joker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Problem is a Sith name needs to be ridiculously on the nose. Darth Plagueis was a bioweapon expert, Darth Sidious is a masterful manipulator who orchestrates the takeover of a galactic civilisation while running both sides of a war, Darth Vader is a dad, Darth Maul is a killing machine, etc.

also come to think of it, the Joker pretty much does the 'strike me down with all of your hatred' thing to Batman on a regular basis

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Darth Icky has a really bad streaming cold.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I feel like George probably didn't intend much of the subtext that deeper readings of the prequels like to explore...

I get the impression that in George's world there's not much thought to the moral subjectivity of the Jedi - from most of his interviews I gather his version of Star Wars at its core is about good vs evil. There isn't much morally grey. I'm not sure if he'd confer exactly with the ideas of the Republic and the Jedi Order being corrupt / deeply flawed by nature, other than those parts where they're clearly being manipulated against their will into a war that they're not suited for.

Especially when you read his comments about things like Han shooting last or the desire to not showing people dying.

Though the prequels are played so drat straight it's hard to tell either way. If anything, it makes them infinitely more interesting to talk about than actually watch.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
remember how george added maclunkey to a new hope for seemingly no reason beyond as a last laugh after selling it to disney

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

I feel like George probably didn't intend much of the subtext that deeper readings of the prequels like to explore...

I get the impression that in George's world there's not much thought to the moral subjectivity of the Jedi - from most of his interviews I gather his version of Star Wars at its core is about good vs evil. There isn't much morally grey. I'm not sure if he'd confer exactly with the ideas of the Republic and the Jedi Order being corrupt / deeply flawed by nature, other than those parts where they're clearly being manipulated against their will into a war that they're not suited for.

Especially when you read his comments about things like Han shooting last or the desire to not showing people dying.

Though the prequels are played so drat straight it's hard to tell either way. If anything, it makes them infinitely more interesting to talk about than actually watch.

This interview is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VRYKlnEP7o

It tells you a lot about the things that Lucas cares about in his filmmaking and it's notable for the things he doesn't spend any time talking about.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

He literally says in your quote that we never see much of the Jedi behaving the way they should behave on-screen, because the war is already on in all three movies. He doesn’t say that the Jedi fail at their basic job only when they show up with an army almost 2/3rds through the trilogy.

“Lucas: Yeah. It's based on compassion...The Jedi's basic job in the beginning--which we never get to see too much of because we start really during the war”

Pretty explicit that what the Jedi are “based on” is not shown to the viewer on screen, because they are not doing the right thing throughout the time he is showing them to us.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like an early case of the modern franchise problem where they keep cutting context out because they think it'll confuse audiences, and end up with a movie that doesn't make sense and confuses audiences.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Alchenar posted:

This interview is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VRYKlnEP7o

It tells you a lot about the things that Lucas cares about in his filmmaking and it's notable for the things he doesn't spend any time talking about.

Thanks for sharing that. I love hearing about Lucas' accomplishments in creating and developing tech and visual effects, which is something I think often gets overshadowed by the quality of his films.

I think it's hard to remember he's made pretty much all of his films outside the traditional movie studio environment, which was a pretty crazy undertaking.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

porfiria posted:

It's pretty obvious the prequels are about Lucas processing his traumatic breakup with Marcia. All other readings are secondary to that.

is this a thing? i thought they were still friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

is this a thing? i thought they were still friends

Years ago The Secret History of Star Wars published an article on Marcia that drove a lot of people to think that she was the only reason Star Wars was good to begin with. In some fandom circles it's turned into a conspiracy where Lucas made the Special Editions and won't release the original edits to screw her on royalties.