Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
If we tap him with the Silver Mind enough to distract him, maybe Merkja can gain the upper hand without us making our presence known to her. Surprise him, catch him off guard, and let Merkja do the heavy lifting.

If we go Tyrant, we risk ourselves being distracted and showing our weak side to Merkja, even if we do overwhelm Deimos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Voted Tyrant entirely to see us act like a maniac again. Let's get nuts.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Voted Tyrant entirely to see us act like a maniac again. Let's get nuts.

:hellyeah:

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Resources are meant to be expended, and bullets are meant to be fired. If not now, when? Shoot to kill.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Take the chance. Assault him with The Silver Mind. - 3
Spend considerable blood to fuel the sorcery of the Dark. [-HP] - 3
Shoot to kill. [-Bullets] - 10
...he dealt with the Tyrant before. Maybe he should again. - 12

I agree, he should. I think that's confidence enough to accept it.

(Tyrant Manifest: Will-Anxiety) 15 - [5]+[5]+[2] = 12 - Success.

TYRANNY: [ X [ X [30%]

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Took longer than most oneruns to show up, but the option to use the Tyrant Manifest was finally there. It was best to open its option at first chance, and this was an ideal day to get it over with.]

[Wasn't vital in the valley, but when Megalith came there was little other option. That was the deceptive of it- the less Anxiety, the easier it was to enter the Tyrant state. But the Tyrant walked strongest when manifesting from breakpoint stress and near-death situations, which made the benefits of Lionheart especially potent for the hope of those manifests.]

[Deimos was unpredictable and powerful. Sometimes you could get a tiny-chance kill in on him, but his Singer-gifted karmic psionics were obnoxiously effective. Magic might set off the Saint's ironblood, and psychic wasn't near strong enough for Deimos' endgame levels, which left the divine of Tyranny the most reliable choice.]

[And most fraught - the first attempted Tyrant Manifest was a success, which meant a small permanent bonus to confidence. Those were rare and valued. However it ends with helping Merkja, it'd be worth it just for that.]

[+1 Will!]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You pause before you move under a thick nest of beams, the reality of your choice catching up behind you. The anxiety was already swelling - what if you get shot dead? What if Merkja snaps your neck? What if Deimos' psionics burst your brain? What if you stumble and fall and shatter? What if you get an injury that prevents you from returning to Kwiat? You could just hide. But then Deimos will hear your silver static and he'll get so ANGRY. You could just run. But then Merkja will smell you and remember what you did and she'll get so ANGRY. Somehow, you had to help the Saint and hinder the Agent to walk out of this alive. But how? How? They'll find out you're weak and frightened and they'll laugh before they break every bone in your body. They'll clap when the scythe comes down and you scream one last time before they forget you ever existed. How... how. How?!

Nerves and sickness and worry crawl with you into the darkness of the light-obscuring wooden tunnel.

OST: Tyrant Manifest

And I walk out from the shadow we pass through, where the heart of the tower eclipses the stormlight.

See? See how simple it is to let me help? I'm here now.

The last I remember was dreaming- but I forget about what. The frustration leaves me as I descend quickly through the scaffolding, my body fully healed and rested, leaving me light with every step. I knew what we could do to survive this. I'd have to get the drop on good ol' Deimos. I empathized with Merkja's harassment, little as I knew about her. Deimos was so much pigshit to be frightened into an overdose meltdown, but there was something important I could state here. This would be a statement directly against Marshall, Carter, & Dark. That I was on the side of the Iron Saint, in whatever context they'd take away from Deimos' account. So... it should be a memorable one, right? I'd deal with this creepfuck, not them. This was why I was walking. This is why I wore a crown.

I'm going to take care of this.

As I make the last third of the descent, I unholster my gun and assess. Merkja's divine iron arm was held up in shield against both bullets and Deimos' psychic ability; she had the superior of defense. But Deimos was riddled with knick-knacks of a dozen anomalous natures, and has PSI strong enough to make the Iron Saint need to defend herself. It'd be a good start to frighten him. It'd be a good feeling, too.

(!Midnight - Density Shift) 15 - [4]+[1]+[2] = 7 - Success.
[-1 HP]

One deep breath. Eyes closed. Path chosen. I leap from my perch, angling to fall through the wide opening in the scaffolding, to drop directly down between Deimos and Merkja. Cold air sings past as I descend, and my stomach lurches as it fills with blood, gravity cradling my marrow as the nature of density fluctuates within me. I crash into the wood platform with tremendous force, sprawled on the ground; like an ant flung from up high, I'm unharmed, while the wood suffers from the density I should have splattered apart with.

I lie still and twisted. Deimos was leaping away with all limbs flailing; Merkja crouched with her arm held up in warding. I wait for it. Merkja quickly circling to get a better angle on Deimos and whatever I am, the Agent wasting a moment with heavy-breathing confusion before he notices the hyaenidae's movement. He ducks behind one sturdy wooden beam, gun drawn and ready-

Until he hears me saying his name.

Deeeeeeei-mos. Deeeeeeeeeeei-mooos.

I stand up stiffly with a hunched back and gun unslung. I don't look at Merkja yet, peering over my shoulder to catch him bewildered with the sharp of familiarity. I help him by pressing my revolver to my skull, repeating his name again.

DddddddddddEI-MOS. Deeeeei-mos.

I keep fingering the hammer as I bring body and eyes around to pierce into his, giving him the sudden shock of recognition. He doesn't raise his gun. He doesn't think it'll work.

Dei-Eee-Mooos---

I leave it there, and lower my gun to my side, neutral and untroubled as I stare him down. I keep my back open to Merkja. Does she see it? She read about gravity. She knew what the planetary motions would do. She takes the chance to retreat, crashing through the wood as quick as her wounds allow her Saintly endurance. Deimos screeches, and steps out from behind the safety of the beam but he didn't count on it he doesn't KNOW what happens if you're in a shadow and I can feel it in my blood as I raise a clenched fist

(!Midnight - Umbrakinesis) 15 - [5]+[5]+[4] = 14 - Success.
[-2 HP]

I make sure I'm smiling at him as I make a gentle pulling motion, and watch the shadows thicken with the density of Hell, dragging him by the kness to the wooden floor. He nearly loses his gun to a gap in the boards. I let go of the pull, teeth clenched with blood seeping through the raw gums. Are you feeling ALRIGHT, Deimos? I feel out Merkja's weight. She was leaving towards my land, but that was fine. That was allowed. Deimos though-

(Carnelian Chance - !PSI Probability Ω) 21 - [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 - Success!!

-spackling my mind with the fires of a gemstone scalding my waves through karma towards disaster but I won't let it be THAT easy-

Tyrant makes a demand.
The Silver Mind concedes.
(The Silver Mind - Reflect) 9 - [2]+[2]+[6] = 10 - Failure [By 1].
The Tyrant is disappointed, and makes a demand.
The Silver Mind concedes.
[-1 HP]
[Silver Mind Sealed]
Success.

Silver melts into midnight silence as the carnelian flames pass through. Almost got me, Deimos. Wasn't ENOUGH, Deimos. I gesture with my gun, channeling my disgust with the weak performance of the Silver Mind into my tone towards the Agent, who was retreating again as his confidence fought with the better of valor. I had to press it before he tried his psionic assault again. The reality was that he could easily kill me. Few bullets to my belly, pop pop, and I'd be down. Hard enough surgical application of PSI, disabled. Deimos was dumb, but not STUPID- he'd retreat rather than press an unknown, especially one who has fooled him into thinking I was bulletproof. Keep him spooked, don't actually provoke him to violence, and he'd be an easy bypass.

The reality was that I loved scaring him, and I wanted him to live in anxiety of having me appear out of nowhere.

(!Tyranny - Intimidation) 17 - [1]+[2]+[5] = 8 - Success!

Easy easy. The gun is tucked and the sword is drawn and I start SMASHING IT against the wooden beams. My arms tensile to steel, obscene with the lean that I can whipsling the stone edge with. I use the flat, to create a great echoing *CRACK* that bounces around much too loud through the tower of wood, sometimes making sections of it creak and moan. Deimos startles every time, refusing to speak aloud as he hard-adjusts to my threat. I keep chanting his name with each hard-swing of the sword, relishing the awful pain of it rattling my bones from the force of the strike. I work up into a frenzy as I direct him to the north exit of the tower, banshee-screaming with my singer's lungs to hurry him in a charging panic at the one way out, before I pull back into the shadows at a moment where I'm sure he won't look back to see if I'm still chasing.

...and he's gone, leaving me to silence the exhale of phlegmy blood into my arm. I lean against the nest of wood for at least ten minutes.

Next time, something much worse than the first time will happen. He had to be kept guessing. This way, he'd get lost up by the coast, before being forced to come back down through the north end of the tower. I'd be long gone by then, but he'd spent a while out there before coming back. It gave me time to accomplish something useful, which took me down the southeast entrance. We had all gone separate ways, as I intended. Merkja had time to get lost. No use dealing with her. What I did have to deal with was my water supply. That red. That awful meaty wet red. I'm going to do something about it. We won't sleep without it dealt with. I still have the whole day, so Deimos can have fun discovering that useless slime island - I'm going to conquest.

But before I do, there's something I want to know and obtain, now. I take off the shroud the dryad gave me, and study the hundreds of tiny emberglow runes littering its surface.

(!Midnight - Sorcery) 15 - [2]+[3]+[6] = 11 - Success.
[-1 HP]

I'm not waiting. I demand it. Tell me something I can learn about the secrets of Fire the dryad hid in here.

HP: [ 15 / 20 ]
FP: [ 14 / 14 ]
TYRANNY: [ X [ X ][30%]

[Silver Mind Sealed For 1 Day]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER SUGGESTION
I'm not going away. I'm here for the day. So tell me, what spell do I rip from the shroud?

One of the dryad's secret spells was...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Cauterize sounds like an emergency health recovery/damage stopping spell, and we can already heal. Dirty Flame Brand... I'm not sure what that does, maybe a temporary weapon enchantment? That said, considering we possess a gun and have access to a number of ranged spells, we're fairly weak in standup, close quarters combat. Red Right Hand sounds like a melee damage enhancement. I voted for that, but I'd be down for Flame Brand too.

But that said, how are we going to raise a red hand towards an empty heaven if our hand isn't even red?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Forbidden spells sound so tempting though!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nothing is forbidden. There is only that which is yours and that which is not yours. The line diminishes daily.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Would Tyranny accept anything less than attempting succeeding to learn the greatest spell on offer?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Tyrant takes the Forbidden as birthright.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Our sorcery rolls aren't so hot though, and if it's opposed by Red's witchcraft(?) I don't like our odds. I vote we take a safe option for now.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
is our sorcery skill that high

^ lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
given the SCP reference density i'm picking up from the last post, i'm thinking "red right hand" is favored by the present alignment of the scintillating lobes of yog-sottoth which have taken the place of the stars to the south

e: is deimos actually from somewhere in the vast reaches of the SPC wiki? there are two scps that i know of named deimos and one is i think the moon of one of the planets and the other is the greek god of terror (lol no)

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 7, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, I like red right hand as well. We’ve seen cauterise in action when Red used it on us - it’s a healing spell, and a relatively weak one at that. We have that niche covered already. Dirty flame brand is most likely radioactive, given Burner’s tendencies in that direction, and we can’t resist radiation ourselves. And our sorcery isn’t that great, so I’d rather not pit it against Burner’s witchcraft. Also, the end-of-battle flavour text does seem to point us towards red right hand.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Learn the magic of...

Dirty Flame Brand - 2
Cauterize - 6
Red Right Hand - 16
[Sorcery vs Witchcraft] Risk learning a Forbidden Spell - 10

...LOADING

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So is the Tyrant a seperate entity/conscience from our own, or is it us, just infinitely more confident and borderline sociopathic?

I guess what I'm asking is, should I be hearing Dan Green as Yami Yugi in my head whenever he manifests?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Randalor posted:

So is the Tyrant a seperate entity/conscience from our own, or is it us, just infinitely more confident and borderline sociopathic?

I guess what I'm asking is, should I be hearing Dan Green as Yami Yugi in my head whenever he manifests?

my impression is that its part of you but this part of you is the part that comes from the places where your brain is part of your "crown"

in terms of what it is, its you achieving your will to power at the cost of everything else you are, like keyser soze killing his own family to send a message in the usual suspects

it is absolutely and fully committed to being a sociopath who destroys even his own body and soul for the sake of seeing your will done, a conscious choice to adopt solipsism as your personal theory and praxis of life and then ruin and destroy even that one remaining soul rather than yield an inch

e: reminder that it is also our main class and neglecting to feed it isn't a real option

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 9, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So that's a... yes to me hearing the Tyrant parts in Dan Green's Yami Yugi voice?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Randalor posted:

So that's a... yes to me hearing the Tyrant parts in Dan Green's Yami Yugi voice?

i am not familiar but if your heart tells you it is right then do it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Need a bit more time to iron out the rest of this one - but as compensation, here is a peek at the power gained.

In regards to the multiple conflicting questions regarding the Tyrant, the answer is yes.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So the only practical benefit is that we now have an infinite lighter that doesn't produce light? That's an oof.
Combat-wise, touch spells are usually hugely impractical due to ease of dodging them.
It's also useless for sneak attacks as it doesn't appear to do anything a well-placed blow to the head wouldn't.

Kind of underwhelming.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
having played dark hersey, that would appear to be very useful specifically for coercion

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

having played dark hersey, that would appear to be very useful specifically for coercion

Would it? At a cost of HP and FP, torturing someone would be way easier without magic, than with this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Regallion posted:

Would it? At a cost of HP and FP, torturing someone would be way easier without magic, than with this.

the point is to not accidentally kill someone you've already had to violently subdue or who is otherwise frail

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Regallion posted:

So the only practical benefit is that we now have an infinite lighter that doesn't produce light? That's an oof.
Combat-wise, touch spells are usually hugely impractical due to ease of dodging them.
It's also useless for sneak attacks as it doesn't appear to do anything a well-placed blow to the head wouldn't.

Kind of underwhelming.

eh, never underestimate the power of being able to set fire to things

still think we should have gone forbidden power but ah well, at least we can look cool if we ever need to light a cigarette!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Clarity in the meta of the power design - it is on any-time demand, requiring no roll. It is a divine power, which stands above magic or psychic powers. It is stronger than a lighter. It causes incredible pain to living beings, leaving little evidence.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Black August posted:

It is a divine power, which stands above magic or psychic powers.

I don't think we even know what that means in practice. Like, what, does carnelian chance not offer a save against it? Doubtful, since it'd be saving against the pain not the power itself.

Black August posted:

It is stronger than a lighter. It causes incredible pain to living beings, leaving little evidence.

From the description i'd assume it would be about as painful as getting branded, which is very painful, granted, but not something a supernatural being can't just shrug off.
It also seems like the pain it inflicts is not inherent to the power, but rather the subject's reaction to the heat, at least from the description. If it's the power itself that causes the pain, well that's a different story.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, this seems situationally useful, but potentially very good in situations. Obviously it's great for non-lethal takedowns, and also for stealth situations where we don't care about lethality -- remember, our weapons right now are the Black Blade (huge gently caress-off chunk of concrete), the Tchoblade (brittle, showy), and the gun (extremely limited ammunition), so an at-will attack using just the empty hand is potentially pretty valuable for stealth purposes.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Situationally useful is strategic gold sometimes - just off the top of my head another use might be to grab hold of things that would normally damage us.

Or to create a cloud of steam or smoke with the right environment to obscure us.

Or to escape from being tied up after having our equipment stolen.

Or as a sudden distraction in combat while we make a killing blow with our other hand.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

And of course if the enemy should have anything flammable on them, like clothes, well then that's an added bonus.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The fluff implies it's a bit more painful than just regular burning due to the divine nature. Hard to say how combat useful it is, acute pain might be a strong debuff or negligible.
So not flashy or super powerful so far, but this is a free bonus for a class that doesn't usually get fire magic so I can't complain.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
iirc pain actually penalizes some roles

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
An extremely Tyrant ability. Kind of wish we didn't unlock it until after the current ego trip.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Black August posted:

In regards to the multiple conflicting questions regarding the Tyrant, the answer is yes.

Now all we need is for the Tyrant to talk about the bonds of friendship while breaking someone's brain (both figurative and literally). Eh, he's got the second part down, and maybe if we get to gently caress with Deimos while Dancer or Burner are around, we can get the first part.

As for our new ability, this is still a survival-oriented game. Being able to start a campfire at will seems pretty dang useful.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
you know, normally sadistic bullying isn't my thing at all, but i can't help but hope we get to use it on that poor fucker deimos

is this what it feels like to be patches?

e: i'm very intrigued by the border color change thing for the tyrant class. could there be a way to change the class into something else? a hero? a messiah? are those even different things than a tyrant?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 9, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
A "meta" question about the game. Do you always play as Tyrant for primary class, or is that something caused by selecting tutorial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Black August posted:

Clarity in the meta of the power design - it is on any-time demand, requiring no roll. It is a divine power, which stands above magic or psychic powers. It is stronger than a lighter. It causes incredible pain to living beings, leaving little evidence.

So is that like a pain stun, or...?