Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

8 am meetings :(

Instant deny.

[edit: :69snypa:]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
On tuesdays I have 2 hours of meetings starting at 8:30am lol

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

kensei posted:

We have a daily OPS call with dozens of participants at 8 AM PT because we are a global company and as soon as the West starts that meeting begins.

You mean "West Coast" here rather than "The West" right? 8AM PT is when Europe is shutting down for the day. My "9AM meetings" happen at 3PM local time, I sometimes have to remind coworkers not to schedule meetings with me for the end of their day (could be worse, Samsung only want to do meetings late PST because "that's when Korea starts up")

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ookiimarukochan posted:

You mean "West Coast" here rather than "The West" right? 8AM PT is when Europe is shutting down for the day. My "9AM meetings" happen at 3PM local time, I sometimes have to remind coworkers not to schedule meetings with me for the end of their day (could be worse, Samsung only want to do meetings late PST because "that's when Korea starts up")

I do, that's a bad omission by me lol

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’m having a series of meetings with a team in Belarus. Hello 6am meetings!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Captains Log: Quarantine day 272

- 5 year old has started Zoom school for two weeks, and doodled red crayon on one of my monitors
- 1 year old yeeted my Amplifi Instant off the TV cabinet and broke the little LCD screen

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
There might be a valid use case there for picking up one of the bajillion free 1024x768 monitors out there, getting a VGA -> HDMI adapter and hooking it up to a Raspberry Pi 4.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have newer Raspberries gotten fast enough to handle modern web browsing? Because as a nerd experiment I tried to set one up as a workstation a few years ago on a Pi 3.

The javascript performance was so miserable it was useless for doing any actual work. If my entire job was typing in an xterm, great. But it's not.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Have newer Raspberries gotten fast enough to handle modern web browsing? Because as a nerd experiment I tried to set one up as a workstation a few years ago on a Pi 3.

when you say modern web browsing do you mean canvas/instructure sites or do you mean Modern Web Browsing Single Page App Javascript With 40000 Transitions where the developer is obviously on a top of the line mac with six 8k monitors on fiber and expects everyone else to be?

the pi 4s with at least 6-8gb can handle basic internet use like text (not medium, medium uses multiple gigabytes of tracking)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 8, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

when you say modern web browsing do you mean canvas/instructure sites or do you mean Modern Web Browsing Single Page App Javascript With 40000 Transitions where the developer is obviously on a top of the line mac with six 8k monitors on fiber and expects everyone else to be?

the pi 4s with at least 6-8gb can handle basic internet use like text (not medium, medium uses multiple gigabytes of tracking)

Probably more of the latter, because my workplace uses servicenow. :downs:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Pi3 -> Pi4 is about the level of leap that Pi1 -> Pi2 was. Huuuuge upgrade. It's still a glorified budget cell phone running Linux, but for a small child my guess is it would likely be usable in that context. Biggest issue would probably be in a Zoom session you're both receiving and rendering video, plus you'd have a browser open. Whether it works or not, it will would probably be pushing the limits of what it can do. If I had a kid tho I'd probably take it on as a project. Even if it doesn't work out in that use-case, you can put Kano OS on it for them.

Edit: Looks like there's not a Kano build for Pi4 yet

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 8, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

klosterdev posted:

Pi3 -> Pi4 is about the level of leap that Pi1 -> Pi2 was. Huuuuge upgrade. It's still a glorified budget cell phone running Linux, but for a small child my guess is it would likely be usable in that context. Biggest issue would probably be in a Zoom session you're both receiving and rendering video, plus you'd have a browser open. Whether it works or not, it will would probably be pushing the limits of what it can do. If I had a kid tho I'd probably take it on as a project. Even if it doesn't work out in that use-case, you can put Kano OS on it for them.

Edit: Looks like there's not a Kano build for Pi4 yet

The pi4 works fine for zoom or meet or hangouts - zoom is running in the browser, iirc the linux version segfaults instantly or won't start at all becuase armv6l/armv7l

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Email about whether something is included in the project budget: "historically we have been told this is the case" which can go straight into famous_last_words.txt.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Pissing me off: my old person brain. I don't know how many times I've had to output a CSV in PowerShell where I do a foreach loop that ends with output-csv c:\folder\$thing.name.csv to create a whole bunch of them, and I literally cannot remember how to format the file path where it doesn't break without Googling.

edit: and this is probably the 40th time I've googled this, discovered a better way to do it, and then promptly forgot. I'm guessing, anyways. Don't do drugs kids.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 9, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My dumb aging brain forgets language syntax and order of function parameters constantly. If I work in js for a month and switch to python, I will invariably have to look something up, like say whether a list declaration uses parenthesis or square brackets. Or if go to php. Or shell. Or perl.

It makes me feel super dumb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's talk about rack placement

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The place I'm at now installed a bunch of rack mounted UPSes in network closets where there's not enough room to slide the battery out.

Needless to say it takes a while before those bad batteries are replaced.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress two post racks

gently caress putting them against a wall

gently caress putting them in the corner

And gently caress putting an outlet eight inches in front of it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why do these servers with their exhaust pressed up against a solid wall run so hot? This makes no sense!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Oh hey, you picked an entire service that explicitly blocks the outbound ports that are required for you code to do the thing you wanted. Thank you for having such a rigorous process around application development. And no, amazingly, it doesn't matter if this worked locally for you for fucks sake. Extremely glad I got pulled into a last minute, emergency meeting where I also got to witness your QA app try to connect to a production environment. Love killing one bird with two stones.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I spent two days figuring out why my brand new packer builds weren't picking up the cloud-init configurations correctly. My org has never used templates or automation of any kind and I have never used packer before.

The server I was using to bootstrap the process was running Centos, which comes with a software firewall on by default. The packer HTTP server that hosted the cloud-init file wasn't being exposed.

Two days :bang:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

I have great news for you. The rack isn't bolted down, so you can just move it, cabling permitting.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

One of my on-going projects is to go through my stations video archive. Right now we have 16 years or so of meetings backed up to DVDs, but only one meeting type is organized. The other four are just in stacks here and there. Some in jewel cases, others in envelopes, and most are just in stacks of bare discs. So first I get to go through and try and organize them into what meetings, then by year, etc.

But for some reason, we have three or four copies of one meeting. Is there a reason? Audio adjusted? Video not synced up? Who the gently caress knows.

I can handle that, what is really annoying me is that they titled almost every disc in month-day-year format, if the disc is even titled at all. About half are labelled My Disc, VH DVD, Project, or just disc-1.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're having a circuit from company X installed. Reseller of company Y.

Company Y 'installed' the circuit. Boss plugs laptop in, can't use it, blah blah. "this should work!"

Asks me to take a look at it. "Well, they aren't done...someone's going to come from company X and finish it.

"he said he was done!"

:rolleyes:

Today company X calls. "Hey I'm coming in tomorrow to finish that circuit"

"Well company Y was here the other day and did it already"

"Yea, but..."

Hey bob know why the circuit don't work yet? Company X is going to come install their own router! :haw:

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

:shepicide:

One of our worst clients (smallest, most yappy, pays the least, worst about data security, oh and they're a CPA so, y'know, not like security matters or anything), is moving as their landlord raised the rent. Thing is, they're flush with cash, they're just cheap as gently caress. Normally.

The big shock we got: they BOUGHT a building, a pretty sizable one (maybe 10k square feet?). And they're taking over the entire second floor, and remodeling it. Great!

The unsurprise we got: they initially told us we could put their basic infrastructure (one server, switch, firewall, UPS) in the existing telco closet, which was a literal old-school telco closet, 3' wide and about 30" deep. After telling them in no uncertain terms this wouldn't work, they grudgingly expanded the closet. ...to 44" deep. And the place where the door was bumps out about 2", and the new walls extending out from there follow that dimension (presumably there were 2x6s in the wall there for the door framing and they just drywalled over them and built the new wall accordingly), so the actual expanse we can use is, y'know, 30", and we're putting in a two post with a cable manager between it and the wall so that the midmounted server will be far enough out in the room that the part of it extending forward won't hit the bumpout.

Oh and five minutes ago we were informed that their access control vendor, who we didn't know existed until yesterday, is planning to install a 40"x20" box somewhere in the closet.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
One of my employees wears a goddamn thin blue line facemask and it really, really, really pisses me off

It secondarily pisses me off because it has me considering ways to get rid of him and it makes me angry with myself

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Do it. Those CHUD fucks wouldn't hesitate for a second to gently caress you over, in fact, they already have.

Would you feel the same way if they were wearing an openly Pro-Nazi face mask? Because they are.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Good news! Having lovely opinions and/or being a racist is not a protected class.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the only downside is that you'll have to endure a diatribe about how it's not racist, actually, i'm just showing my support for our brave public servants who put their lives on the line every day to protect honest, hardworking americans from the criminal element. and furthermore what about black-on-black crime? huh???

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

talk to hr to get a policy put in place for facemask graphics

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Pissing me off: One of our client-facing networks went down after facilities plugged the new camera system provided by our security contactor into one of the switches. It comes with a little contractor-controlled custom rack PoE switch with eight ethernet ports, plus two more labeled "Uplink". They plugged the Uplink cable into one of the eight instead of an Uplink port.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost posted:

talk to hr to get a policy put in place for facemask graphics

poo poo is so tense here between the WFH crowd and the essential on site crowd and the mask crowd/no mask crowd I'm not touching that grenade

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
that last crowd shouldn't even exist

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

that last crowd shouldn't even exist

Give it time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Won't work, it doesn't kill that well. Enough idiots will survive that it will confirm their stupid dumb beliefs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xzzy posted:

Won't work, it doesn't kill that well. Enough idiots will survive that it will confirm their stupid dumb beliefs.

What COVID doesn't kill can still be crippled long-term.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup.

For every one person who dies:

19 more require hospitalization.

18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives.

10 will have permanent lung damage.

3 will have strokes.

2 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness and loss of coordination.

2 will have neurological damage that leads to loss of cognitive function.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There's also those who don't end up in the hospital, but still struggle for a long time... I'm pretty loving tired of sick leave :smithicide:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
And there are non-COVID cases who will die but might have lived if ICU beds were available if we had flattened the curve by wearing the loving mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

And there are non-COVID cases who will die but might have lived if ICU beds were available if we had flattened the curve by wearing the loving mask.

I guess what we're saying here is:

just wear the loving mask, Bob.