Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

DMC5 definitely suffers from Too Many Buttons, it's what makes it a less enjoyable experience than DMC3 for me as well.

I kind of like that Nero is the solution to that. He doesn't have weapon switching, he doesn't have styles (the hands are basically a one button "style"), he has a single gun. If you wanna get good with Dante and do 120apm combos go for it but you could just not play him in stuff like Bloody Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dante with DSD, Cavaliere, E&I and KA is pretty well balanced imo

Also replaying this game on normal difficulty feels too easy. Probably because it's only been a year and a half since the original release and muscle memory kicked in. Looking forward to running through with Vergil.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Going back to base Nero with no moves and 1 arm after beating DH as Vergil caused me nausea, he just felt like piloting a tugboat after Vergil’s fighter jet

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Having played this for the first time recently I think the game does itself a disservice by having abilities have to be unlocked piecemeal, Nero really felt pretty bad to play at first and it was only after unlocking most of his kit that it started to all click and feel good

To say nothing of V’s kit, which lets you buy abilities requiring Promote before you buy Promote

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Having played this for the first time recently I think the game does itself a disservice by having abilities have to be unlocked piecemeal, Nero really felt pretty bad to play at first and it was only after unlocking most of his kit that it started to all click and feel good

To say nothing of V’s kit, which lets you buy abilities requiring Promote before you buy Promote

That's literally the point of unlocking and replaying the higher difficulties.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

bradzilla posted:

That's literally the point of unlocking and replaying the higher difficulties.

That’s great, if you get there. My point is that it feels bad until that point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can money for red orbs if you want unlocks now, so the devs have you covered.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Does Dante's Dr Faust trick still work for stacking cash? I recall there was at least one mission it could be used to farm red orbs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can use Faust to farm Red Orbs in literally any mission but the best one for it is the one 3 player mission that I don't remember what it was called, because it has huge rooms with several enemy spawners in it that you could farm.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
That’s mission 13

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wouldn't Dr Faust actually be even more effective for getting orbs in the Special Edition, because of LDK mode?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is it not actually possible to play as Dante, V or Nero in any mission? The trophy wording seems to imply that is the case and I have cleared DH mode. But no options to select a character for a mission other than the couple you normally can.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
In the standard edition you’re locked to certain characters based on the mission. The little diamonds by the mission represent that.

I think overall score page you can tell as well

I was hoping the new version changed that but doesn’t seem the case

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah I'm playing the SE. Vergil is so loving good, holy poo poo

Except for the orb sword attack not being learnable

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 11, 2020

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Bust Rodd posted:

How do you make extra red orbs with Vergil for SM 12? And what did you use to one shot the scissor witch? I can’t find a video for it online anywhere!

Scissor witch? A single mirage blade. Just wait for the red haze around its head to be at its largest and fire one. I almost always clash with a helmbreaker or similar move.
Extra red orbs? I think it spawns two Empusas for Vergil. Lure them to the puddles so they turn red, open with a taunt, and maybe hit them with a Judgment Cut End.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I kind of like that Nero is the solution to that. He doesn't have weapon switching, he doesn't have styles (the hands are basically a one button "style"), he has a single gun. If you wanna get good with Dante and do 120apm combos go for it but you could just not play him in stuff like Bloody Palace.

High level Nero suffers from me having Shoot, Lock On, Devil Bringer, and Exceed all on triggers, though. Starting over as Nero felt like going all the way back to DMC4 without the Devil Bringer ghost punch.

bradzilla posted:

Yeah I'm playing the SE. Vergil is so loving good, holy poo poo

Except for the orb sword attack not being learnable

You mean the Judgment cut from boss fights? You can either learn it or you start with it by holding the sword/melee button. With perfectly timed charging intervals, you can get 3. I think you can get 4 with either S+ style or max concentration. I'm not sure if that last sentence is true because I haven't played Vergil and won't until I have my 100% again lol. He likes to say "Jackpot" when you successfully get 3 out in a row. You know when you performed a perfect/just Judgment Cut because they're almost instant. I find them much easier to pull off in the air or after Mirage Edge combo 2. You can charge during the last spinning slash. He will autoswitch to Yamato if you do it correctly.

Vergil tech:
Anyone else miss Drive canceling, or is it possible with the new input and I'm just dumb.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 13, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how do you get alternative stylish voice announcers in the Special Edition? do you have to buy them?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Find them in the options or extras somewhere.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RBX posted:

Find them in the options or extras somewhere.

oh, I can find where the option is in the Jukebox or whatever but there's only one choice, the default

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok you must have to beat the game first then I guess.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What is the timing for chaining Judgment Cuts, anyways? I can only ever do it accidentally.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You have to hold the button immediately after the first one comes out and release it when Vergil sheathes his sword.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
PC players, Vergil is out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'M MOTIVATED

I could've sworn they said V wasn't coming to PC, and I assumed if we got it, it'd be at least a year out. Am I misremembering?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Artelier posted:

I'M MOTIVATED

I could've sworn they said V wasn't coming to PC, and I assumed if we got it, it'd be at least a year out. Am I misremembering?

Nah it's everything else about the special edition that's not coming (yet at least).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artelier posted:

I'M MOTIVATED

legendary dark knight mode isnt coming to pc, not vergil

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

legendary dark knight mode isnt coming to pc, not vergil

Well, apparently in SteamDB there are two other, yet unnamed DLCs for DMC V, soooooo maybe???

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hot dang, I'm rusty. I'm not sure I'm ready to learn to play this game again yet.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Hot dang, I'm rusty. I'm not sure I'm ready to learn to play this game again yet.

Haha, kinda same. I haven't played Vergil in other DMCs, and was doing pretty fine on SOS.
But then, for some reason, Artemis nearly kicked my rear end and drained all Motivation. Still won, just not in a very Stylish way.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so does vergil just replace v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relin posted:

so does vergil just replace v

No, he has his own story mode which is actually just him running through all the game's missions. It has a different final boss and a cutscene at the start and end.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
vergil is FUCKIING COOL

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I somehow did World of V by complete accident in the Mission 1 Boss Fight and wowee wow does that do a lot more damage than I was expecting!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This patch broke the turbo mods on PC for me so you might have to re-download them.

RBX fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 15, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I understand the visual cue for Just Cuts is the blue spark on the scabbard but I'm not sure how the actual button interacts with it. Am I meant to be letting go of my attack a few frames before the blue spark? Because if I release the attack button when the spark is there nothing happens.

Also they seem way easier airborne? I can regularly string together 3-4 Just Cuts in the air. Is the timing just super-short if you're doing them on the ground?

Still though Vergil is so cool god drat. I'm rusty as hell so I started on Son of Sparda difficulty and he still just shreds everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You're supposed to release the button right in time with the blue spark but note that everyone has input delay, more so if you're on a console, using wireless or playing on a TV, so you probably need to time it before the flash to compensate.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The timing on combo B for Mirage is either super strict or i'm doing something wrong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RBX posted:

The timing on combo B for Mirage is either super strict or i'm doing something wrong.

I can only get it to trigger like a 3rd of the time it’s super finicky.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBX posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

I can only get it to trigger like a 3rd of the time it’s super finicky.
It's because the animation is confusing you guys.
Pressing the attack button once will make Vergil slice twice, then you press attack again for the double sweep THEN you do a pretty long pause and then mash.

The timing isn't strict at all you just gotta do a long enough pause at the right time.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
What's really giving me trouble is that Trick Down is now forward to back instead of just back. The upside is that it is no longer restricted to DT but the change isn't intuitive and is actively fighting with my muscle memory. Even when I do remember, it's a coinflip if the game accepts. Forward Back is not really something I'm used to doing in a pinch and its success is completely at the mercy of the camera.

I've used doppleganger a few times and I feel the DT meter is better spent on swords and Sin DT. It having an activation animation doesn't help it either.

Otherwise, Vergil is really fun. (He'd be more fun with LDK mode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Doppleganger activation gives i-frames, decent for emergencies. What I've found tricky is chain Just Cut timing, I'm sure I've only done it by accident and I really want to learn it since it's very useful for boosting concentration along with the damage.

Also I guess I'm kinda disappointed at Vergil's block/parry; my timing is probably way off for the actual parry but also it doesn't really seem to be worth the concentration loss if you get the block.