Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
literally too little too late, I also uninstalled and I don't feel like downloading a game that big just to check out archer lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw that it actually cause a major loss for Square Enix? Ouch

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Avengers very clearly was going to have lootboxes until that fell way out of favor 80% through development.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

FFXIV was a complete dumpster fire on release and SquareEnix took a massive loss on it. They then poured even more money into shutting it down and rebuilding it, and now it's a very popular MMO. Avengers needs that treatment.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I beat the story mode and from what little i tried of multiplayer, I'm really not interested in giving it any more of my time until Spidey drops and I can play his story stuff. And hopefully use him for whatever other story stuff they add too?

the multiplayer just doesn't feel satisfying and I have zero interest in loot chasing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

FFXIV was a complete dumpster fire on release and SquareEnix took a massive loss on it. They then poured even more money into shutting it down and rebuilding it, and now it's a very popular MMO. Avengers needs that treatment.

I don't see them wanting to use that sort of money tbh, with FF they saw it as their own companies flagship IP with all the merchandise and poo poo and were worried it was going to gently caress that permanently so spending the insane amount of money was deemed worth it but with Avengers it's undersold on release (I assume the initial release of FFXIV at least sold well relative to the market at the time so they probably at least made some money off that as well, was only when they saw what the sub numbers were going to be a month or two in that they started to panic) and has completely failed to get any momentum going. Any sequel or relaunch/rerelease will require them to keep pumping money into the current game in the state it's in and deal with Disney being Disney for a series they ultimately don't own and won't see a lot of the profit from.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 8, 2020

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Video game consumers + comic book consumers is the perfect storm of 'You don't have to fix poo poo because they're going to buy the next product regardless'. Just shutter it and never look back.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

People brought this up with Anthem too, but theres a lot more to 14s revival being such a huge success than "pouring money into it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

worth a watch but TLDR; copying ARR's rebirth requires not just money but huge amounts of talent from the top of the dev team to the bottom

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The resurrection of XIV into the greatest MMO of all time was such a long shot it’s highly likely a similar attempt to resurrect Avengers would fail. They really caught lightning in a bottle with that one.

The best hope for this game would be for it to keep chugging along with DLC patches for 2-3 years till the data mined roster gets added plus some sort of new playable content. Then three years down the line a complete edition gets released with what should have been the full game at launch.

Much more likely they’ll see how much money they’re losing and cut bait.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

You guys are making valid points about how this situation is different. The solution is obvious. Force Yoshi-P to redesign Avengers and patch in catgirls.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Surely you mean Squirrel Girl

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So is anyone actually playing that can report back on Kate?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

So is anyone actually playing that can report back on Kate?

She's very good. They got her character down pat, and Ashly Burch is fantastic as usual. The story is short, about five or so hours, and it's really just another chapter in the game. It does bring in Clint and the hook for his storyline.

I love playing her. For whatever reason, shooting arrows is fun. I think probably because you don't have to reload or worry about running out of energy, so you can just continually shoot arrows whenever you want. So it's easy to mix up melee and ranged combat. Her heroic is just a massive buff, and I didn't really like her other specials until I was able to change the warp arrow from teleporting you into people into making it a ball of energy that pulls people into it then explodes. I feel that worked a lot better for me so I could keep pumping in ranged damage.

Her skins are really good. You can tell that the devs really loved the Fraction run with everything, including the titles of the chapters in her storyline.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Disney isn't going to admit anything they own was a failure. :laffo: which is what a rebuild like ffxiv would say to fans.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Tried Taking AIM, got wiped on the lame capture the hill bullshit the AI still doesn’t know how to handle. Why did I pay for this game, and why did I reinstall it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I don't understand the passionate opinions around this game. It's totally fine as a $60 no subscription AAA title where you play through the single player and if you really like it you can play some post game skinnerbox bullshit. They definitely built up expectations too high but I've played it and enjoyed it for longer than most games I got at the same price. It's not #1 on that list (hi new Yakuza) for the year but it's above average on that front. Maybe I responded differently because I literally didn't watch any trailers or develop any expectations before launch besides 'can I throw Cap's shield and have it donk off some skulls?'

I'll probably play a bit of Hawklady, maybe even tonight if my wife crashes out soon and I keep chugging through this wine, but almost surely not to max level. That's fine by me

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

goddammit wheres the marvel heroes private server

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The GAAS stuff stinks. This would've been much better without it. I enjoy the game because I like the single player content, but I think they also need to get out more content at a faster pace.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Good Citizen posted:

I don't understand the passionate opinions around this game. It's totally fine as a $60 no subscription AAA title where you play through the single player and if you really like it you can play some post game skinnerbox bullshit. They definitely built up expectations too high but I've played it and enjoyed it for longer than most games I got at the same price. It's not #1 on that list (hi new Yakuza) for the year but it's above average on that front. Maybe I responded differently because I literally didn't watch any trailers or develop any expectations before launch besides 'can I throw Cap's shield and have it donk off some skulls?'

I'll probably play a bit of Hawklady, maybe even tonight if my wife crashes out soon and I keep chugging through this wine, but almost surely not to max level. That's fine by me

Hey buddy, cool it with the passionate opinion.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

jabro posted:

Hey buddy, cool it with the passionate opinion.

its cool man i cant even remember the last time i was passionate about something

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

You guys are making valid points about how this situation is different. The solution is obvious. Force Yoshi-P to redesign Avengers and patch in catgirls.

I am onboard but only if we get catboys

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I assure you Disney does not give a flying gently caress about video games, they already got their licensing fees.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is the Hawkeye stuff more like the campaign itself, or the post campaign missions?

5 hours is more than I expected and if they'd kept the characters coming at a decent clip, they might have held my attention.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's such a weird business model. Like, I would pay some money for DLC that offers some unique story missions to play through with a new character. But there's no motivation to keep playing beyond that so I'm not going to be spending money on cosmetics (not that I would anyway, but still).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I enjoyed the story, but multiplayer performance kind of killed interest to keep playing that. Was going to hop back in when I got a PS5, but it *gestures to the empty pedestal labeled PS5*

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

gypsyshred posted:

Tried Taking AIM, got wiped on the lame capture the hill bullshit the AI still doesn’t know how to handle. Why did I pay for this game, and why did I reinstall it.

Yeah, I feel like they rebalanced some stuff when I tried it out. The hill capture stuff sucks when you're stuck with 3 AI partners.

I might give it a try over the weekend, maybe get a bit reacclimiatised.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's such a weird business model. Like, I would pay some money for DLC that offers some unique story missions to play through with a new character. But there's no motivation to keep playing beyond that so I'm not going to be spending money on cosmetics (not that I would anyway, but still).

If it wasn't for this thread, I literally wouldn't know that this was anything other than a single player campaign game with dark souls multiplayer elements, with free DLC in the pipeline.

Which, y'know, is fine for the 40 quid I spent on it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I assure you Disney does not give a flying gently caress about video games, they already got their licensing fees.

apart from that time a disney exec went down to EA when battlefront 2 was on fire from all the negative press. That was pretty funny lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Is the Hawkeye stuff more like the campaign itself, or the post campaign missions?

5 hours is more than I expected and if they'd kept the characters coming at a decent clip, they might have held my attention.

It's like the post campaign stuff, except you are locked into playing Kate for the Taking AIM missions. You can always have the max teammates if you want.

You play open maps and story beats happen at the end then you go back to a hub for more story stuff then back to the open map.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Codependent Poster posted:

It's like the post campaign stuff, except you are locked into playing Kate for the Taking AIM missions. You can always have the max teammates if you want.

You play open maps and story beats happen at the end then you go back to a hub for more story stuff then back to the open map.

lame

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
more like Taking LAME haha

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 would disagree with you.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess they have some people who care about canon for their money IPs. But overall they do not care about video games which is why most Disney games aren’t good and disappear after a couple years.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, Kate was a fun 4 hour diversion, uninstalled the game again.

Wake me up when Wakanda gets added or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep having to stop myself from grabbing it for 40bux right now because everything I've heard about the single player is exactly what I want. But its 40bux now after only like 2 months of being out, it could be 30 on boxing day, or in feb.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah at this point just wait

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I keep having to stop myself from grabbing it for 40bux right now because everything I've heard about the single player is exactly what I want. But its 40bux now after only like 2 months of being out, it could be 30 on boxing day, or in feb.

its definitely worth getting on sale for the campaign

Soonmot posted:

yeah at this point just wait

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
drat this game showed up on this guys series quick. Good watch as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Pwl7hgWDQ

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Played Kate’s missions after forgetting about it for a week. It’s good. Game is still a lot of fun, but the lack of major endgame activities are still a problem. God, they really should have delayed this to spring 2021 and have it be a cross-Gen title. Splitting the team between fixing, updates & upgrading is really hurting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
You can't replay Kate's HARM room, so I hope no one wants to have a spot to easily complete her challenges or mission chain...