Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh poo poo I never even knew that was an option, I know someone who would have gone mental for those.

IDK if LIDL UK is on the same schedule as LIDL IE but theyre in the shops here right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We fell for Canon's cunning trap and bought an actually very good printer from Argos for £35 and tiny brand cartridges turn about to be like £50 each. Anyone point us towards the best cheap supplier?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

To the person who sent me a PM:

Trying to reply using phone isn't happening cant get the cursor in the right place.

Will try and remember to reply next time I'm using computer not phone (not today)

How people function with just a phone I do not know these itty bitty screen keyboards are a pain and the constant errors by the soddin auto incorrect do my head in.

[/Whinge]

Can I recommend a swiping keyboard like MS SwiftKey? If you're a decent typist and know the letter layout like the back of your hand then it's brilliant - you never need to actually hit a key, you just drag your finger to make the rough shape of the word going from letter to letter and the keyboard uses what I can only assume is magic to recognise what you're trying to type. I'm using it right now and banged this whole thing out on a phone in 60 seconds only correcting three words (the to three, your to you're, today to typist)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Of course taking that too far is how you get those "I'm a WELDER born in MARCH and I love BOLTON and if that offends you KISS MY rear end" t-shirts,

Oh poo poo I never even knew that was an option, I know someone who would have gone mental for that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was extremely smart and got an earlybird price on a Kickstarter product for a family member's present last December, knowing that delivered by summer would probably mean delivered by November.

Then there were rumblings about a new flu in Wuhan and now I hope to get it in time for their birthday :eng99:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I only really buy christmas presents for the wife and for my mum but I also plan on giving 2 friends weed this year

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

The doctors even had the gall to ask her what her partner (i.e. me) would think of her getting sterilised as if that should have any loving relevance at all.

You should stand out in the car park waving a big foam finger with "sterilize!" written on it.

Gort posted:

Anyone got genius Christmas present ideas? Feeling particularly clueless this year.

Also a big foam finger with the word "sterilize!" written on it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can I recommend a swiping keyboard like MS SwiftKey? If you're a decent typist and know the letter layout like the back of your hand then it's brilliant - you never need to actually hit a key, you just drag your finger to make the rough shape of the word going from letter to letter and the keyboard uses what I can only assume is magic to recognise what you're trying to type. I'm using it right now and banged this whole thing out on a phone in 60 seconds only correcting three words (the to three, your to you're, today to typist)

I've discovered it does do that for writing but I still can't get the cursor in the right place for starting the reply.

Present chat:
I rarely know what to get people and wish they'd just give a list.
I always find cash very acceptable.
There have been warnings this year about vouchers with so many firms going into administration.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 9, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think it's weird that my old nokia flip phone had autocorrect that allowed me to type by just pressing the old phone key pad and it would automatically know what word I wanted every time based on the 3 letter groups on the keys and the order I pressed them in.

Yet my current phone keeps suggesting the stupidest loving poo poo.

Curse the bastard that invented the touch screen, and a blight on the house of Jobs and his thrice damned company for popularizing them, and to the darkest depths of the stygian pit with whoever the hell is responsible for "apps".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I only really buy christmas presents for the wife and for my mum but I also plan on giving 2 friends weed this year

Can I be your friend too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

We fell for Canon's cunning trap and bought an actually very good printer from Argos for £35 and tiny brand cartridges turn about to be like £50 each. Anyone point us towards the best cheap supplier?

I know you just put up the Teethsignal, but: if you don't want to just buy the same printer again because it is cheaper, look for a cartridge refilling shop.

E: @Camrath - add Lotus biscuit to your list of experimental fudge sorceries, would you?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He doesnt lower himself to inkjets i dont think.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Chubby Henparty posted:

I used to have an Epson that worked well with compatibles but found other brand printers weren't so good without real ones. Since they started microchipping cartridges I found it much harder to get good quality printing from any but real ones.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SpicePro posted:

By no means am I defending such a dumb idea are they really more of an e-waste problem than regular dvds? I mean regardless of if a dvd can be played for 5 days or 5 decades it's still going to last 1000 years before it's had a remote chance of disintegrating. I admit having it playable for longer makes a hell of a lot more sense but I guess what I'm saying is our e-waste problem is loving mind-blowingly huge.

Torrenting is a moral choice, save the planet!

for the same reason that a restaurant using actual glasses produces less waste than one using disposable cups

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I still think it's weird that my old nokia flip phone had autocorrect that allowed me to type by just pressing the old phone key pad and it would automatically know what word I wanted every time based on the 3 letter groups on the keys and the order I pressed them in.

Yet my current phone keeps suggesting the stupidest loving poo poo.

Curse the bastard that invented the touch screen, and a blight on the house of Jobs and his thrice damned company for popularizing them, and to the darkest depths of the stygian pit with whoever the hell is responsible for "apps".

Search "T9 keyboard" on whichever app store your phone uses and discover a whole new old world of typing, now with added privacy concerns.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Convex posted:

Can I be your friend too

just for clarification, one of the friends had his mother die and got testicular cancer this year and the other friend has picked up my weed for most of the year so I'm not just throwing little bags at anyone from my santa sack

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Search "T9 keyboard" on whichever app store your phone uses and discover a whole new old world of typing, now with added privacy concerns.

I mean my complaint is also that have no tactile feedback on a touchscreen and giant loving thumbs.

I miss my blackberry.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

just for clarification, one of the friends had his mother die and got testicular cancer this year and the other friend has picked up my weed for most of the year so I'm not just throwing little bags at anyone from my santa sack

yeah twas a joke grounded in my frustration that i gave up 13 years ago and am no longer in a position to indulge, at least not in this country :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The delightful green santa distributing dank nugs to all the good children.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

The delightful green santa distributing dank nugs to all the good children.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Chubby Henparty posted:

back when I bothered with the ink shenanigans, I had a pretty good experience ordering ink refills from Aliexpress/eBay with one initial purchase of the refillable cartridges

it's definitely a messy, unpleasant business though. People also give you funny looks if they see the syringes and needles in your office.

Canon does region-lock their cartridges, so a UK shop might work better: e.g.

in the long term I'd get a laser - cheap inkjets that are infrequently used will dry up; cheap inkjets that are frequently used should just be a known CISS-compatible purchase (which a microchipped, region-locked PIXMA certainly isn't), and the wedge of suitability in between is perilously narrow

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Convex posted:

yeah twas a joke grounded in my frustration that i gave up 13 years ago and am no longer in a position to indulge, at least not in this country :(

nah man thats cool, i just wanted to highlight that my friend has had an especially lovely year

the other friend has had a bad year too (losing his job, found out his second child is on the way, girlfriend banning him from playing dota) so really its a fairly wide application

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I have given a friend of mine an ounce for Xmas every year for the last... ooh, ten years? Perfect xmas present for all ages.

My actual great idea, which has alleviated the annual pain of trying to buy my mum a scarf or whatever, is to tell my parents I’ll make them a hamper. Then periodically google “[country] shop uk” and order a few things. If you’re feeling flush throw in a jar of Fortnum&Mason jam or whatever. I’ve got them a hamper ready upstairs with savoury and sweet treats from China, Japan, Indonesia, Portugal, Turkey, South Africa, Ghana, and Mexico. I think there’s maybe one or two more things coming. It’s genuinely great and provides at least an hour of “ooh, check out this weird looking food” entertainment on Xmas day, and you can pick stuff up through the year and spread the cost (although not this year, obvs).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've discovered it does do that for writing but I still can't get the cursor in the right place for starting the reply.

The standard Android keyboard Gboard has swipe text, and you can move the cursor by swiping back and forth on the space bar. You can also delete whole words by swiping left on the delete key, then swiping back and forth to adjust.

And I am one of those people who always makes a list for people. It is partly motivated by me being absolutely crap at buying without one, and also my intense hatred of being given poo poo that I don't want.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

stev posted:

Yeah I really miss the two year period where every UK and US channel shoved their entire back catalogue onto Netflix along with most films.

I'm currently on Prime, Netflix, Sky On Demand/Cinema and Disney+ and still find a lot of the stuff I actually want to watch isn't available without paying extra.

Its interesting because Piracy soared due to the massive cost of getting all movies/tv shows etc so when Netflix came around it was an instant hit. Now its going the exact same way where theres 14 different streaming services and you need them all to watch everything. Piracy is a tad harder now than the glory days of torrent sites but there will always be ways around it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

as for xmas presents, i'm a big fan of giving stuff i make or stuff that will be used (food, cosmetics, whatever) so that someone isn't forced to keep something around forever. but not everyone will respond well to that.
Strongly agree with this. If you don’t know anything they specifically want, there’s usually some combination of chocolate / wine / tea / cheese / jam / soap / etc that will be appreciated.

OwlFancier posted:

You should stand out in the car park waving a big foam finger with "sterilize!" written on it.
well now I’ve got that Chemical Brothers track in my head

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

To the person who sent me a PM:

Trying to reply using phone isn't happening cant get the cursor in the right place.

Will try and remember to reply next time I'm using computer not phone (not today)

How people function with just a phone I do not know these itty bitty screen keyboards are a pain and the constant errors by the soddin auto incorrect do my head in.

[/Whinge]

If you are struggling to get the cursor to specific bits of text. On most phones now if you hold down the space bar and swipe left or right it moves the cursor one character left or right

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
A few years ago, I told my brother that if he didn't tell me what he wanted for christmas, I'd get him a brick. So I did. I did tape a gift card to the bottom, though.

I'm tempted to do the same for my other brother this year, just not bother with the gift card.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/GenZdemagogue/status/1336630432289480705?s=20

Obviously we did not need telling this. I'm certain it applies in the UK too.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks for printer advice. Really does seem like buying a new one would be smarter. :capitalism:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
I'm not sure how expenditure in Labour CLPs is done, but this Skwawkbox (yes i know) story looks a teeny bit bad if accurate (yes i know again)

quote:

Bath members were due to vote through a donation totalling £3,600 to three charities: Bath Food Bank £1200, Mercy in Action – a charity that helps poor children £1200, Julian House charity for homeless people £1200.

A party official wrote to the CLP officers banning the vote – and threatening action against the CLP if the vote went ahead:

quote:

The aim of Motion One is to donate a significant amount of CLP Funds outside of the CLP and in a way not supportive of CLP Campaigning. This is not an appropriate use of CLP funds nor in accordance with Labour Party rules which state; Chapter 7, Clause 2.A.2 which states the responsibility of CLP’s to “secure the return of Labour representatives to Parliament and local government bodies, by promoting the policies and principles of the Party throughout the Constituency”. Therefore this proposal for inappropriate use of party funds should not be tabled, considered, or discussed at your meeting. If I become aware that the CLP has voted on and in support of this proposal I will instruct the CLP Treasurer that the funds should not be released and then seek guidance from the Governance and Legal Unit on possible further action.

Instead, Bath CLP was told that it must put forward a plan to prove how it will support the party’s campaign to elect its candidate in next year’s election for the south-west region’s mayor – and if the regional office likes the plan, only then might the party approve the spending on homeless people, poor children and the hungry.

Bath CLP is one of the country’s wealthiest, having built up investments over the years worth more than £1.3 million pounds. The £3,600 was budgeted 2020 expenditure for the CLP’s conference delegation – in other words, it was never going to be available for campaigning in the mayoral election.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Can sombody grab the labour party and shake it like an Etch-a-Sketch please

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you're not anti Amazon you can buy multipacks of compatible cartridges for the same price as a single standard ink.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Look the principles of the party just don't align with helping the hungry, poor or homeless.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

With the chat about chapo and tf last page, just noted that 80s old-school leftie Alexei Sayle has a podcast now. First episode is called "Keir Starmer, Corporate Tool(?)" and the second is called "The Art of War" so might be worth a listen and if good add to the list in the OP.

E: https://audioboom.com/channels/5038428

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 9, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

I know you just put up the Teethsignal, but: if you don't want to just buy the same printer again because it is cheaper, look for a cartridge refilling shop.

E: @Camrath - add Lotus biscuit to your list of experimental fudge sorceries, would you?

Already do them, in my Vegan Scofflaw flavour! Which admittedly I’ve not made for a while.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ronya posted:

back when I bothered with the ink shenanigans, I had a pretty good experience ordering ink refills from Aliexpress/eBay with one initial purchase of the refillable cartridges

it's definitely a messy, unpleasant business though. People also give you funny looks if they see the syringes and needles in your office.

Canon does region-lock their cartridges, so a UK shop might work better: e.g.

in the long term I'd get a laser - cheap inkjets that are infrequently used will dry up; cheap inkjets that are frequently used should just be a known CISS-compatible purchase (which a microchipped, region-locked PIXMA certainly isn't), and the wedge of suitability in between is perilously narrow

Yeah region locking is a pain. Had an inkjet in Egypt and couldn't find any replacement cartridges for it there and the number of the ink cartridge just doesn't exist in the UK market. While I thought the 300 series (?? Might have misremembered) was the same as UK 700 series the cost was too high to risk it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

CGI Stardust posted:

Charity stuff

I had a meeting with someone from Julian House on Monday and she spoke very eloquently on the work they do, and the difficulties they face operating in a "rich" area. One of their biggest expenditures is getting people out of abusive households with an immenent risk of violence. This is sickening and I am enraged. That "party official" should spend half an hour with her and then see what he thinks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like Nick Clegg has had his first taste of success over at Facebook

https://twitter.com/JamesClayton5/status/1336759989986213888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Rumda posted:

for the same reason that a restaurant using actual glasses produces less waste than one using disposable cups

I don't think that's a good analogy. You might get more e-waste from disposable DVDs because they can't be rented out again but it's not like normal DVDs are any better at being recycled, unlike glass. Clearly the answer is glass DVDs.