Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Synology NAS with a bunch of stuff running in Docker containers. Is there a way to automatically update the images on the disk? I know I still need to stop / clear each containers, but it's annoying to download the images for each one.

Was hoping for something that runs in a task scheduler or the like inside the Synology UI, as opposed to like SSHing in and running a cron job or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You probably want Watchtower: https://github.com/containrrr/watchtower

I really should get around to utilizing it myself.

brains
May 12, 2004

ouroboros or watchtower will handle everything for updating containers automatically.

just remember to declare specific image tags for containers if you need stability (i.e. not :latest) or ignore if you use ouroboros.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

With this revision landed in FreeBSD, I'm pretty sure ARMv8.2+ has become the gold standard for OpenZFS-based low-power NAS hardware with SHA512 checksumming.
And once this review gets rewritten with support for the OpenCrypto framework, NFS over TLS can be used to share files over the internet.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

IOwnCalculus posted:

4K transcoding is REALLY intensive. My dual 2667 V2 server can handle one 4K transcode, a second one simultaneously makes it cry.

If I ever start archiving 4K content it'll be kept private until Plex supports "disable transcode by library". Even then I might pick up a GPU.

I disable any transcoding for my library. I share the library with a few family members that all have gigabit and Apple TV 4Ks. That handy since their devices can just decode x265 without issue.

I just didn’t see any win in supporting the transcode.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

They're not as common as SuperMicro but I've been quite pleased with my AsrockRack board. No issues for the ~5 years I've had it running.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: 18tb Easystores for $279 :siren:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-18tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6427995.p?skuId=6427995

I already have a 8TBs installed so that's enough for now. Right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-18tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6427995.p?skuId=6427995

I'm sorry, what does "enough" mean in the context of storage?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Canadian Bestbuy also appears to getting in on the "cheap hard drives are good for business" model

CAD$229 for a 12TB WD EasyStore at BestBuy.ca :canada:
CAD$19.03 per TB

Also, that's the first time I've seen EasyStores easily in stores in Canada.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm sorry, what does "enough" mean in the context of storage?

It's the point where you've run out of budget and are forced to accept that you can't buy any more drives until next month.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So I have a FreeNAS box that I'd like to transition from USB boot drives to SATA SSDs.

I have a PCIEx2 to 2xSATA3 card that I've confirmed my Supermicro board can boot from.

Can I just add them to the FreeNAS boot pool, let it resilver, and then remove/detach the USB drives from the pool to 'transition' to the SSDs?

Or is that a stupid thing to do?

EDIT: Oh won't it be limited to the previous boot pool size?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 5, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ziploc posted:

So I have a FreeNAS box that I'd like to transition from USB boot drives to SATA SSDs.

I have a PCIEx2 to 2xSATA3 card that I've confirmed my Supermicro board can boot from.

Can I just add them to the FreeNAS boot pool, let it resilver, and then remove/detach the USB drives from the pool to 'transition' to the SSDs?

Or is that a stupid thing to do?

EDIT: Oh won't it be limited to the previous boot pool size?
In case you forget to set the autoexpand property on the pool before migrating, `zpool online -e` and the zpool or zpool-online manual pages (depending on version) are your friends.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks so much!

According to Reddit, the drive inside is this:

Apparently this is an HC550 drive and is EAMR.

Does that mean it's generally going to be less reliable than the 8TB drives that WD had been using? Is the 18tb SMR?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there place I can just plug in the drive model
or whatever and get a straight answer on the contents there in? Getting musings on random Reddit threads is a mixed bag.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks so much!

According to Reddit, the drive inside is this:

Apparently this is an HC550 drive and is EAMR.

Does that mean it's generally going to be less reliable than the 8TB drives that WD had been using? Is the 18tb SMR?

Looks its probably a white label WD gold, so CMR, not SMR.

Warbird posted:

Is there place I can just plug in the drive model
or whatever and get a straight answer on the contents there in? Getting musings on random Reddit threads is a mixed bag.

Not really. It kind of boils down to comparing to what WD currently offers in that size, checking the regulation number against data sheets and going from there. edit to clarify: not sure if you're talking about the external drives themselves or the white labels. the externals themselves will often contain different varying drives based on whatever WD had too much of at the time they made them, so there's no easy way to say "yup this easystore 8tb has WD80EFAX"

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 6, 2020

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Wondering if anyone has set up a VM within Gsuite to serve a Plex library also hosted by Gsuite, encrypted and mounted with rclone? It's taken me about 8 hours over the past 2 days but I learned a lot and now in theory I can share a library of an arbitrarily large size with excellent speed to anywhere for $12/month (Gsuite) and some VM hosting costs, offset by $300 for free over the first 3 months. I am counting on the fact that Google doesn't scan mounted, de-encrypted folders within their customers' VMs, of course.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Wondering if anyone has set up a VM within Gsuite to serve a Plex library also hosted by Gsuite, encrypted and mounted with rclone? It's taken me about 8 hours over the past 2 days but I learned a lot and now in theory I can share a library of an arbitrarily large size with excellent speed to anywhere for $12/month (Gsuite) and some VM hosting costs, offset by $300 for free over the first 3 months. I am counting on the fact that Google doesn't scan mounted, de-encrypted folders within their customers' VMs, of course.

How much do you pay for egress bandwidth? That is generally where cloud providers bend you over the barrel.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

How much do you pay for egress bandwidth? That is generally where cloud providers bend you over the barrel.

I'm trying to figure that out...from what I can tell it's $0.11/GiB. Not sure how fast that's going to add up without any users other than myself but have $300/3 months to gather data.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

I'm trying to figure that out...from what I can tell it's $0.11/GiB. Not sure how fast that's going to add up without any users other than myself but have $300/3 months to gather data.

Make sure you watch it like a hawk. You can blow through bandwidth very easily. It shouldn't be too bad though looking at the math that's like 113 viewing days at 1gb/hr right?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Make sure you watch it like a hawk. You can blow through bandwidth very easily. It shouldn't be too bad though looking at the math that's like 113 viewing days at 1gb/hr right?

Yes and most of my content is not high resolution. But thanks for the tip, I am not experienced at this stuff.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

Thanks will do that. That's where I'm at, himming and hawing about dropping the $100-150 or putting that toward a new machine.

I did this in my initial exhaustive troubleshooting and I just put it back on my bench and it's starting at the same spot on Day 1 with the same issues. In the first testing, I suspected the RAM and MEMtest86 passed everything with flying colors. I eventually got to a place where the built-in hardware diagnostics would run through without crashing. I just fired it back up and it's crashing on the processor again.

It should be noted that previously it would also crash when I skipped processor and moved to RAM, so it may not necessarily be the CPU.

I'll see if I can find a solid seller with a return policy and take that route since it's so easy to reproduce the crashes now.

Quick update. Received the PSU today and plugged it in. Did the diagnostic test that was repeatedly failing at the Processor test with the old one and pushed right through it. I had no idea what the end diagnostic report looked like as I never had gotten to it before! Going to try to do more battery of tests but feeling confident that this was a PSU problem!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

fletcher posted:

I was going to recommend a Supermicro as well, looks like BlankSystemDaemon beat me to it. I got the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F per a recommendation in this thread and it's been great: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F

Seems the A2SDi-8C-HLN4F, only difference is the fan I guess?

It's got IPMI built in. So weird being able to see the BIOS screen with a web browser!

I have a stupid question - I only see 4 sata ports but I guess each one supports 4 drives? How does that work exactly wiring-wise? Do I need to buy some extra wires of some sort here or adapters? Outside of my NAS I haven't actually used anything aside from M.2 drives in a while and I just don't deal with hardware much in general anymore outside of building a gaming PC every 3-4 years.

It also says it supports an m.2 drive but I can't actually see where that would physically go. Does that need an adapter as well? Does it come with all these adapters? never mind just saw it on the left center.

Final question - it's been a long time since I built my NAS and I can't recall how much PSU I need. It'll be (probably) the linked Supermicro board with 6x older WD Red 4TB drives, and either an m.2 drive or a smaller SSD for the OS. What's a recommended modular PSU for this that ideally would have enough SATA power without a lot of splitters and such?

Edit: likely to go with This Case as it has nice drive bays unless someone has a different recommendation. It's a bit pricier than I'd like but oh well.

Edit 2: Rethinking that case due to airflow concerns, although it seems a piece of cardboard can maybe solve it? The hot swap drive bays would be a nice convenience but they're not actually necessary - unlike my old seagate drives that had a 114% failure rate over 3 years I haven't lost a single one of these over 4 years.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 9, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

I have a stupid question - I only see 4 sata ports but I guess each one supports 4 drives? How does that work exactly wiring-wise?

Looks like it has miniSAS connectors on board, you can get fan out cables that split those into 4x SATA each.

Also looks like m.2 shares some PCIe lanes with the SATA ports so you might not be able to use both simultaneously.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks like it has miniSAS connectors on board, you can get fan out cables that split those into 4x SATA each.

Also looks like m.2 shares some PCIe lanes with the SATA ports so you might not be able to use both simultaneously.

Does the board come with those fan out cables or is that something I should get myself?

Re the shared lanes, where are you seeing that with the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F? I scanned the manual and the product page for it and am not seeing it. It's something I was expecting but I don't actually see it anywhere. Since I only need 6 SATA drives it may not matter anyways.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Does the board come with those fan out cables or is that something I should get myself?

Re the shared lanes, where are you seeing that with the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F? I scanned the manual and the product page for it and am not seeing it. It's something I was expecting but I don't actually see it anywhere. Since I only need 6 SATA drives it may not matter anyways.
It depends on whether you get the bulk or retail package, as is listed on the bottom of the page for the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F for example - you can see that the retail package contains 2x CBL-SAST-0616 which is Supermicros product code for MiniSAS HD to SATA breakout cables.

If one MiniSAS HD or the four SATA ports share with the M.2, and you only have 6 drives, it doesn't really matter, no.
Some boards also support Flexible I/O configuration through the South Bridge, where it allows you to control the number of lanes dedicated to each thing, but it doesn't look like that's the case for the one you're looking at, so it's a good thing you don't need it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

brains posted:

ouroboros or watchtower will handle everything for updating containers automatically.

just remember to declare specific image tags for containers if you need stability (i.e. not :latest) or ignore if you use ouroboros.

Thanks for this, is there any way to set Watchtower to update firewall rules after replacing the container?

Edit: I just stopped referencing the container (vs the port) in the Synology firewall and I think that'll fix it.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 9, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It depends on whether you get the bulk or retail package, as is listed on the bottom of the page for the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F for example - you can see that the retail package contains 2x CBL-SAST-0616 which is Supermicros product code for MiniSAS HD to SATA breakout cables.

If one MiniSAS HD or the four SATA ports share with the M.2, and you only have 6 drives, it doesn't really matter, no.
Some boards also support Flexible I/O configuration through the South Bridge, where it allows you to control the number of lanes dedicated to each thing, but it doesn't look like that's the case for the one you're looking at, so it's a good thing you don't need it.

Gotcha, thanks! Any specific PSU recommendation for this plus 6-7 SATA drives?

Edit: also any reason this cheap WD m.2 drive wouldn't work? https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-250GB-SSD-WDS250G2B0B/dp/B073SBV3XX/

ssb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 9, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Gotcha, thanks! Any specific PSU recommendation for this plus 6-7 SATA drives?

Edit: also any reason this cheap WD m.2 drive wouldn't work? https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-250GB-SSD-WDS250G2B0B/dp/B073SBV3XX/
Does the motherboard have a PMbus connector? If so, get a server PSU with PMbus information over a wire, that way you can get voltage information in the OS and/or IPMI.
The max draw for any single drive is 3A at 12V while it'll likely idle at 0.5A - the main thing to keep in mind about PSUs is that the power that the system uses when it's at max load should be around 50% of what the PSU is capable of delivering, because that way, you ensure the highest efficiency for the AC->DC conversion, which doesn't matter nearly as much for when the system is idle.
BeQuiet make some okay PSUs, as do Corsair.

I would recommend getting an NVMe M.2 instead of a SATA M.2, since NVMe has multiple queues (for reading and writing more than one data-stream at a time), and SATA3 is limited to a bandwidth of 6Gbps/550MBps, which NVMe isn't.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Does the motherboard have a PMbus connector? If so, get a server PSU with PMbus information over a wire, that way you can get voltage information in the OS and/or IPMI.
The max draw for any single drive is 3A at 12V while it'll likely idle at 0.5A - the main thing to keep in mind about PSUs is that the power that the system uses when it's at max load should be around 50% of what the PSU is capable of delivering, because that way, you ensure the highest efficiency for the AC->DC conversion, which doesn't matter nearly as much for when the system is idle.
BeQuiet make some okay PSUs, as do Corsair.

I would recommend getting an NVMe M.2 instead of a SATA M.2, since NVMe has multiple queues (for reading and writing more than one data-stream at a time), and SATA3 is limited to a bandwidth of 6Gbps/550MBps, which NVMe isn't.

I normally do NVME drives in my gaming computers, but for a NAS that hardly does anything at all (unifi controller, plex server but the media is on the WD Reds and it barely gets used anyways) I figured SATA would be fine for it and it's a lot cheaper. mainly I just was avoiding using a drive bay is all.

No reference in the manual or product documentation that I see for pmbus, so would a 650W PSU be enough? Overkill?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shortspecialbus posted:

No reference in the manual or product documentation that I see for pmbus, so would a 650W PSU be enough? Overkill?

Enormous overkill. You can only slap a 25W CPU on that board. So even assuming the board itself somehow takes 50W (it won't), and you shove a dozen WD Red 8TB's in there at full bore (~7w/ea) for another 84W, you're looking at under 200W total.

"Only use 50% of your PSU's max for bestest efficiency!" is enormously overselling the impact of efficiency. Even an 80 Bronze rated PSU only has a max 4% difference between 20% load, 50% load, and 100% load (81/85/81, respectively). So 4% * 200W = 8W extra, which if you run it 24/7/365 at 20c/kWh, is about $14/yr, and that would be if you're running at 100% the entire time, which you won't be.

A more realistic figure with only 4 drives would be idling at ~50W max for 80% of the time and running at ~100W load for 20% of the time, at which point your efficiency difference for the year comes out to about $1.50/yr.

tl;dr don't worry at all about PSU size. Buy the smallest/cheapest >= 250W PSU with at least an 80 Bronze rating from a brand you recognize and you'll be fine. You will never, ever make back the additional cost of a larger / fancier PSU via efficiency gains when running a normal home NAS.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 9, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DrDork posted:

Enormous overkill. You can only slap a 25W CPU on that board. So even assuming the board itself somehow takes 50W (it won't), and you shove a dozen WD Red 8TB's in there at full bore (~7w/ea) for another 84W, you're looking at under 200W total.

"Only use 50% of your PSU's max for bestest efficiency!" is enormously overselling the impact of efficiency. Even an 80 Bronze rated PSU only has a max 4% difference between 20% load, 50% load, and 100% load (81/85/81, respectively). So 4% * 200W = 8W extra, which if you run it 24/7/365 at 20c/kWh, is about $14/yr, and that would be if you're running at 100% the entire time, which you won't be.

A more realistic figure with only 4 drives would be idling at ~50W max for 80% of the time and running at ~100W load for 20% of the time, at which point your efficiency difference for the year comes out to about $1.50/yr.

tl;dr don't worry at all about PSU size. Buy the smallest/cheapest >= 250W PSU with at least an 80 Bronze rating from a brand you recognize and you'll be fine. You will never, ever make back the additional cost of a larger / fancier PSU via efficiency gains when running a normal home NAS.

Thanks. I technically have a 6 drive RAIDz2 but whatever, same deal. I tend to overbuild PSUs but honestly aside from gaming computers I don't touch hardware professionally or personally anymore if I can avoid it. I think I have a pretty good idea what to get now, and while NVME performance gains are actually huge and I love them, I don't think it matters for this use case so I think I'm set. Need to decide on a case and that's about it now.

Appreciate the help everyone!

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There are 5tb portable (2.5") shuckable Seagate drives for sale from Costco for $95. The $/TB is a little high, but 5TB is plenty for me and I'll be able to take advantage of the physical size.

Will these drives be less reliable than the WD 3.5" shuckable drives?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Comatoast posted:

There are 5tb portable (2.5") shuckable Seagate drives for sale from Costco for $95. The $/TB is a little high, but 5TB is plenty for me and I'll be able to take advantage of the physical size.

Will these drives be less reliable than the WD 3.5" shuckable drives?

I had a 114% failure rate over 2-3 years with Seagate drives (7 failures for 6 drives as the replacements started failing) so I'm done with them forever. Zero failures over a longer timespan now with the WD Reds. YMMV.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
It's all anecdotal of course but I've also had similar experiences with seagates dying more often than other brand for me. I wouldn't swear off them, but if another brand is the same price or a couple bucks more I would skip the seagate.

Best buy has had a 5tb 2.5 WD external on sale recently for $95, is that one not shuckable?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Has anyone experienced SMART providing different temperatures for the same drive depending on the host PC? I'm running UnRaid to my JBOD tower (where the hard drive sits) and it is constantly throwing high temperature errors by UnRaid (46-50-ish). However, I temporarily had my UnRaid hosted by a completely different desktop connected to the same JBOD but never once saw the temps over 35 and never got a temp error. That drive had spent some time in the first case and received the same high temp errors so it's almost as if that specific motherboard is reading the SMART higher for that drive alone.

Makes me want to disregard the error, but hate dismissing warnings as crying wolf for when the wolf actually comes to town. Also, irritating getting frequent emails and array failure reports because one drive is slightly warm by its measure.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Minty Swagger posted:

Best buy has had a 5tb 2.5 WD external on sale recently for $95, is that one not shuckable?

They are not.

Is there anything to say regarding reliability differences between 2.5" and 3.5" drives if brand were to be ignored?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Not really, if anything maybe the 2.5 is a little better because they're built to go into laptops which get jostled? Speed would be the biggest difference.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Has anyone experienced SMART providing different temperatures for the same drive depending on the host PC? I'm running UnRaid to my JBOD tower (where the hard drive sits) and it is constantly throwing high temperature errors by UnRaid (46-50-ish). However, I temporarily had my UnRaid hosted by a completely different desktop connected to the same JBOD but never once saw the temps over 35 and never got a temp error. That drive had spent some time in the first case and received the same high temp errors so it's almost as if that specific motherboard is reading the SMART higher for that drive alone.

Makes me want to disregard the error, but hate dismissing warnings as crying wolf for when the wolf actually comes to town. Also, irritating getting frequent emails and array failure reports because one drive is slightly warm by its measure.

Is one controlling the fan speed... somehow? Are they running different versions of SMART ("smartmontools")? Are they running different kernel/OS versions? Same interface card to the JBOD? You should be able to dump out the raw sensor info... somewhere.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Is one controlling the fan speed... somehow? Are they running different versions of SMART ("smartmontools")? Are they running different kernel/OS versions? Same interface card to the JBOD? You should be able to dump out the raw sensor info... somewhere.

They're booting off of the exact same USB stick, so all of the settings and programs should be the same. Same card for the JBOD (LSI) also. When I switch machines I unplug the JBOD, pull out the LSI card and the Cache drive (nVME on a PCI card) and then drop them in the other. Plug in the USB and boot, so very little differences.

It's really strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Maybe if you're on an inferior grid. 230V grid means higher efficiency than 110V.

80 Bronze simply isn't about maximum efficiency at all, its only focus is ensuring minimum efficiency - but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get something that's +90% effective at 50% load.