Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Just started the game with a couple of friends and whooo boy is it confusing at first. Do I have to watch those three hour long beginners guide videos on YouTube or will I learn what I need as I play?

We're on ps4 and super casual, so I'm not worried about min-maxing or power leveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Just play. Kill stuff and do quests. You can change your skills and stuff whenever for some gold and you wont really know what you want until you are level 50 and CP 160+ anyways.

Join a guild or 2 or 5.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Definitely start researching early on, like as soon as you get some extra gear and are by your first crafting station, even if you aren't getting into crafting right away so that you aren't limited at higher levels because you started late.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Research

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

HatJudge posted:

Just started the game with a couple of friends and whooo boy is it confusing at first. Do I have to watch those three hour long beginners guide videos on YouTube or will I learn what I need as I play?

We're on ps4 and super casual, so I'm not worried about min-maxing or power leveling

Nope, just play and have fun.

Although you probably don't want to be like a warrior in wow that wears Int cloth gear so:

If you want to be a magical wizard then wear primarily light armor, use destro or resto staff and use primarily class skills that costs magicka to cast. Put all your attribute points in magicka. Ideally your race gives bonuses to magicka or spelldamage.
If you want to be a beefy mcfighterman or sneaky mcstabbyson then wear primarily medium armor, use melee weapons or bows and use primarily class skills that costs stamina to cast (some class skills uses magicka at first but can be changed to stamina later). Put all your attribute points in stamina. Ideally your race gives bonuses to stamina or weapon damage.

Hybrid builds doesn't work.
Don't worry too much about tanking or putting points in health until you reach the higher levels.

Alcasthq has a good to-the-point beginner guide and builds:
https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-player-beginner-guide/

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lima posted:

Alcasthq has a good to-the-point beginner guide and builds:
https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-player-beginner-guide/

Can't recommend this site enough. It's been a huge help for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Diddler posted:

Wikipedia says "Lina Inverse is a young yet very powerful sorceress travelling the world in search of adventure and treasure" so a sorc build, yes. I dunno what her powers are, but you can compare them to this: https://eso-skillbook.com/skilltree/sorcerer and see if you can copy the skills. Staff skills would be fire, lightning, ice, or healing.

Yeah, I guess the thing is she mainly casts using her hands and is decent with a sword. I guess 1H&S and a fire staff and just try to pretend the shield isn't there lol

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help. Just what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna check the links and put my points into stamina so I can stab scumbags in the scrotum.

We killed an off brand beholder today. It was fun. And we started our own guild, but that seems kinda pointless since there's just three of us.
Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure we'll get our money's worth of fun out of this. Esp since we paid less than the price of a pint at the pub.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I guess the thing is she mainly casts using her hands and is decent with a sword. I guess 1H&S and a fire staff and just try to pretend the shield isn't there lol

You could use a 2h sword, or dual wield. Or just not put anything in your offhand if you're committed to the theme.

HatJudge posted:

Thanks for the help. Just what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna check the links and put my points into stamina so I can stab scumbags in the scrotum.

We killed an off brand beholder today. It was fun. And we started our own guild, but that seems kinda pointless since there's just three of us.
Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure we'll get our money's worth of fun out of this. Esp since we paid less than the price of a pint at the pub.

what's your PSN names? I can shoot you invites to the Goon guild. then it will be me and you guys active. lol

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Alcasthq is a good site but he seems to recommend the same thing for ANYTHING now. I have been using Dottz Gaming more and like it better.

https://dottzgaming.com/category/build/

I still look some stuff up on Alcasthq but if I really want to follow a build from low level to high or don't want a generic build I go to Dottz.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Doctor Zero posted:

You could use a 2h sword, or dual wield. Or just not put anything in your offhand if you're committed to the theme.

what's your PSN names? I can shoot you invites to the Goon guild. then it will be me and you guys active. lol

what's the goon ps4 guild called? I am currently in 5 guilds but I might leave one of them as they aren't really active anyways.

my PSN is the same name as here.

Also for anyone on PS4 here are a couple guilds I am in that are good and have no drama and such. Active players and they do things.

Wicked Ways - Good overall guild with daily events (Trials, dungeon runs, world boss runs, sky shard runs, etc.), lots of friendly people.

Baby RNGezus (not sure on spelling as I am not in game) - Trading guild with donation based dues. No required dues but the more you donate/help others you will go up in rank. They frequently do giveaways based on rank. better stuff goes to higher ranks.

These are both pretty large guilds so there is almost always someone on that would be willing to help you do things. Most of the more active players have low level alts too and like to run low level dungeon runs and stuff.

If you want an invite to either you should be able to search for them but I cna also send one just email me in game, username Trastion or send a PSN message\friend request.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 10, 2020

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I'm Motstand on PSN. We play on the European server, if that's an issue.

What are the benefits of a guild? And what's expected of a member?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

HatJudge posted:

I'm Motstand on PSN. We play on the European server, if that's an issue.

What are the benefits of a guild? And what's expected of a member?

Oh i forgot about the different regional servers. I am on the US megaserver.

Mostly the benefit is having cool people to do stuff with. most stuff can be done solo or with a group of 4 but the Trials are 12 man raids pretty much and you don't really want to PUG those.

But there is also the Trader aspect if you get into crafting or just want to sell gear you find for more than the few gold a merchant gives. You can yell in zone with stuff you want to sell but if you are part of a trading guild they have access to traders in the bigger cities that work just like the merchants. You stock stuff and put your price on it. When it sells you get an email with the gold. A small portion goes to the guild.

Some guilds have monthly dues to be a member that they use to get better trader locations (those in the 3 biggest cities). Some like the one I posted are donation based so you give what you can, when you can. We actually still get traders in the bigger cities, currently I think ours is located in Daggerfall.

The guilds do a bidding thing to see who gets what trader each month. The more your guild bids the better trader you end up with location wise.

As for what's expected, most guilds just want you to not be a douche.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ7w5pJCIOc

Hope y'all like copy paste material lol

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Scyantific posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ7w5pJCIOc

Hope y'all like copy paste material lol

It looks like we get more Argonian/Black Marsh content? Yay I guess? Other not all that excited.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MH Knights posted:

It looks like we get more Argonian/Black Marsh content? Yay I guess? Other not all that excited.

People who still play mentioned that there's dialogue mentioning Skingrad so if anything they're going to the Colovian Estates/Deadlands since it is Oblivion's 15th year anniversary coming soon

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Scyantific posted:

People who still play mentioned that there's dialogue mentioning Skingrad so if anything they're going to the Colovian Estates/Deadlands since it is Oblivion's 15th year anniversary coming soon

One of the discords already datamined references to Bravil as well as Skingrad, so makes sense. The area sounds fine, fighting a rehash of Dagon/Deadlands not so much. Ah well, nevertheless

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Saw more Oblivion junk coming but eh. I hope they do a more wild and interesting expansion again before ESO runs out of juice. I put so many hours into this game but I don't think I'll ever even be able to psyche myself into playing Skyrim 1.5, let alone Oblivion 1.5

I guess it's just a teaser. The way I'd be on board would be if it focused on the interesting aspects of Cyrod that Oblivion botched like minotaurs.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
The sad part is my hope is for more character slots so I can expanded my empire of daily writ characters.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It sucks massively that their only truly original idea (Craglorn and the Celestials) was universally panned because god forbid that you play group content in an MMO. Since then they've been 100% afraid to take risks with their content and so all they're pushing out is rehashes of other TES games.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Since then they've been 100% afraid to take risks with their content and so all they're pushing out is rehashes of other TES games.

For the Daggerfall rehash I hope they rescale the world to be the same size as in that game. :v:

Or they could at least bring back procgen dungeons.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Comrade Koba posted:

For the Daggerfall rehash I hope they rescale the world to be the same size as in that game. :v:

and ancient liches/vampire lords who slap you so hard that they knock you out of the map geometry. Ah, memories.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Scyantific posted:

It sucks massively that their only truly original idea (Craglorn and the Celestials) was universally panned because god forbid that you play group content in an MMO. Since then they've been 100% afraid to take risks with their content and so all they're pushing out is rehashes of other TES games.

To be fair Craglorn leaves a lot to be desired. Who thought cutting and pasting world bosses was a good idea?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, I'm 100% on board with craglorn storywise...everything else is kinda either bad or forgettable.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I'm not sure when this change happened, but is the inventory meant snap back to the main All:All screen as soon as you open a container? I hand in my six daily crafting writs, go to my Consumables tab, and start opening them, but as soon as I do it kicks be out of the Consumables tab and to the All tab. I know it wasn't like this last week, and it's such a minor inconvenience, but... why not stay in the Consumables tab?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yeah I should clarify that I meant it storywise. Pretty cool to delve into literal manifestations of constellations running amok in Tamriel, far better than a Dawnguard, Oblivion, or Skyrim rehash.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Guzwar posted:

I'm not sure when this change happened, but is the inventory meant snap back to the main All:All screen as soon as you open a container? I hand in my six daily crafting writs, go to my Consumables tab, and start opening them, but as soon as I do it kicks be out of the Consumables tab and to the All tab. I know it wasn't like this last week, and it's such a minor inconvenience, but... why not stay in the Consumables tab?

Are you console or PC? If PC I would suggest unboxer and never think about opening containers again.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Oh yeah I should clarify that I meant it storywise. Pretty cool to delve into literal manifestations of constellations running amok in Tamriel, far better than a Dawnguard, Oblivion, or Skyrim rehash.

Me and my friends were helping some new people in our guild run threw it and they also pointed out the story is fun but the world bosses and events are just terrible. Lile why spend time working on a interesting storyline and then just sort of leave the bosses as a side note? A few interesting world bosses would probably have put Craglorn up there content wise.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

frgildan posted:

Me and my friends were helping some new people in our guild run threw it and they also pointed out the story is fun but the world bosses and events are just terrible. Lile why spend time working on a interesting storyline and then just sort of leave the bosses as a side note? A few interesting world bosses would probably have put Craglorn up there content wise.

Counterpoint:

Literally zero world bosses anywhere contribute to the respective zone story aside from killing pugs and gear drops. The real meat of Craglorn lore outside of the story itself (which is decent for early ZOS writing) are the 3 twelve person trials, IMHO.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

frgildan posted:

Are you console or PC? If PC I would suggest unboxer and never think about opening containers again.

PC. I should probably get at least one mod at some point, yeah.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Guzwar posted:

Get the lazy writ crafter mod for the daily writs, at least.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

They recently patched a bunch of really nice QOL improvements into the dailies so I’m doing them again. (Filthy console player so no mods)

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Guzwar posted:

Grab minion and never worry about keeping them up to date. Also I can't imagine not playing this game without a minimap mod.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

I've gotten so used to just hitting M every now and then that a minimap would feel weird.

Minion, eh? Let's see what this is all about.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is a Bosmeri Bow/Sorc possible?

That was one of my Characters/ builds to play in Skyrim

Also, if I buy the Greymoor upgrade, do I get Elyswr and Summerset for free? Steam doesn't clarify that very well

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 19, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TulliusCicero posted:

That was one of my Characters/ builds to play in Skyrim

Also, if I but the Greymoor upgrade, do I get Elyswr and Summerset for free? Steam doesn't clarify that very well

Everything is possible. May not be optimal, but you can make whatever you want.

And no, you don't. But you do get those all if you subscribe.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is Necro more summony then Warden or Sorc?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TulliusCicero posted:

Is Necro more summony then Warden or Sorc?

It's not. More of transformation and necro-powered attacks style, the "summons" die after unleashing an attack. Sorc is the most pets class, warden a bit less and necro the least of the three.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yes. Go Stamina if you want to take advantage of the Bosmer racials. The sustain/stamina regen perks and the Sorc ability Dark Deal make it difficult to run out of stamina.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a way to make leveling Nightblade... fun? I feel like the only way I can make it bearable is to do focus on non-Nightblade skills as the main skills and slotting the actual Nightblade skills on the backbar for swapping to gain xp on them when needed. Which calls into question the whole point instead of playing a different class. Also do they ever get more visible? I can make out the animation of Veiled Strike or Strife, but in a group or around a lot of enemies it's hard to see if they actually went off successfully or not. And Assassination Strike is all but a crap shoot where I just spam the skill and light attacks and hope it all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

nessin posted:

Is there a way to make leveling Nightblade... fun? I feel like the only way I can make it bearable is to do focus on non-Nightblade skills as the main skills and slotting the actual Nightblade skills on the backbar for swapping to gain xp on them when needed. Which calls into question the whole point instead of playing a different class.

FWIW, I leveled a NB from 1 to ~CP160 and I don’t think I ever had more than 1-2 class skills on the main bar. Two of my class skill lines still aren’t maxed out.