Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Kinda related, I love how in The Mandolorian the repairs on the Razorcrest done by the Mom Calamari is weirdly slapdash, as their entire ship design aesthetics is that each one is unique & asymmetrical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I assume they aren't technically human, given they're in a different galaxy some nebulous amount of time in the past, and are just called humans for our convenience, much like how they're language isn't actually English.

:wrong:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Human

Although Asians are a separate "near-Human" species
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Epicanthix
:chloe:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember being pissed cause they had some rations in a book that were marked human safe and I was like "Han's not human god dammit he's correlian!" and then I realized that oh poo poo, humans are loving everywhere in the galaxy and that's why the aliens are outnumbered by the troopers, cause there's less aliens than humans.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That was book 2. Book 3 was the one about the Krikkit Wars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Jedit posted:

I learned more about the sport of cricket from that book than I did from actually watching or playing cricket.

I really want to see the alternate universe where it ended up as a Doctor Who story like it was initially pitched.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Jedit posted:

Oh, right. End of 2 and beginning of 3.

I also only learned about cricket through HHGttG. And it didn't do a very good job explaining it, either.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

humans are loving everywhere

is why humans are loving everywhere.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wookie Cookies

WOOKIE COOKIES

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Do you mean Wookiee-ookiees?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Perhaps I do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard cricket compared to Dungeons and Dragons; a game where different players on the same team have different goals, skillsets and methods to achieve them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Someone mentioned True Lies in the Boomer thread in GBS, and I was reminded of the scene where Jaime Lee Curtis thinks she is undercover as a prostitute.

Arnold, via a tape recorder with someone else's voice, tells her to dance. She does so VERY awkwardly, and the VERY NEXT THING he has queued up on the recorder is,

"No no...dance sexy."

Their marriage might have hit a rough patch, but drat if homeboy didn't know his wife to a T.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

bony tony posted:

Do you mean Wookiee-ookiees?

No, that's a Wookiee fraternity initiation ritual.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard cricket compared to Dungeons and Dragons; a game where different players on the same team have different goals, skillsets and methods to achieve them.

As a Brit who loves baseball I can assure you that cricket is much simpler than baseball but cloaks that simplicity in a lot of really intense terminology.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I went to a match at the Oval last year because a friend had spare hospitality tickets. I spent the entire day sitting in the sun drinking free booze and couldn't tell you a god drat thing about what happened, beyond the occasional *thwock* noise and a smattering of applause.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Test Cricket is best cricket. I unironically adore a game that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins. There are stories within stories and battles within battles in every single test match.

Also, it is a sport which was explicitly invented as a way to get around "no drinking on a Sunday" rules.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Test Cricket is best cricket. I unironically adore a game that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins. There are stories within stories and battles within battles in every single test match.

Also, it is a sport which was explicitly invented as a way to get around "no drinking on a Sunday" rules.

I'm not one of those people who think professional sportspeople don't have 'real jobs', but I admit I do have a respect for a sport where a single match literally lasts an entire work week.

EDIT: And is sometimes as pointless as one, too.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Someone mentioned True Lies in the Boomer thread in GBS, and I was reminded of the scene where Jaime Lee Curtis thinks she is undercover as a prostitute.

Arnold, via a tape recorder with someone else's voice, tells her to dance. She does so VERY awkwardly, and the VERY NEXT THING he has queued up on the recorder is,

"No no...dance sexy."

Their marriage might have hit a rough patch, but drat if homeboy didn't know his wife to a T.

Man, I remember seeing her in that and finally realizing how much I like JLC. That scene is great -- I mean yea she's fine as heck there don't get me wrong -- but the way she kind of snaps into it changes her moves entirely, it's really well done.

True Lies is great in general, too. It's honestly up there with the other best action movies of it's kind, the ones that are kind of non-genre/non-gimmicky, pure Good Guys vs Bad guys. The Rock, Die Hard, maybe Face/Off.... Lethal Weapon if we allow buddy-cop movies I suppose. That era, late-ish 80s to mid-90s produced some great stuff.

On a different topic: Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers is a movie filled with beautiful, fairly interchangeable young people. People who, if you were somebody who believed in the concept of inherent genetic superiority, would be considered to be Good Specimens.

Now obviously their world's pretty fascist. Verhoeven took heavy inspiration from the Nazi's for his characters uniforms, and the opening scene, the propaganda video, is modeled off of Triumph of the Will. So yea, it's Reich-a-riffic, their world drips with fascism.

My favorite little detail that I actually haven't seen very many people mention/notice, is where all the characters are from.

So in real life, towards the end and at the end of WW2, there were a bunch of people rounding up Nazis -- not surprisingly, it did not go well for the ones who got rounded up, especially the ones towards the top of the organization. So a lot of them figured they should get the gently caress out outta dodge, and luckily (for them, not the world) they'd put together a back-up plan for that:

They went to Argentina.

Due to various influences from over in Europe, as well as having lots of people of 'Fascist-At-The-Time' -country's descent, Argentina and a couple other South American countries had leadership that was actually quite sympathetic to the Nazis and welcomed the ones that managed to escape with more-open-than-deserved arms. Oh and laundered their money and other ill-gotten gains as well.

Which brings us to the point of this all:

The setting of the movie, Buenos Aires. Verhoeven set the movie in Buenos Aires, Argentina, because that's where all the Nazis escaped to after WW2. I know that Verhoeven doesn't portray Starship's future society in a very positive light -- there are hints that the bugs didn't really do all that much and the Terrans are the aggressors -- but I don't know if setting it in Buenos Aires means that the Nazis eventually managed to push their ideology into being the worlds main one, or if it's just a clever wink to people that might notice it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He certainly may have had that all in mind, but Buenos Aires is the city that gets wiped out in the book too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

He certainly may have had that all in mind, but Buenos Aires is the city that gets wiped out in the book too.

Verhoeven was being sardonic and Heinlein was being literal. Eezy peezy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get the fascist undertones, but everyone seems fairly diverse. Men and women from every ethnic group fighting together as equals. Not saying other aspects aren't authoritarian, but Hitler would not be happy with how things turned out. Doesn't a Black woman take over after the White guy fucks up the invasion?

Also, back to True Lies. I'm torn that they never made sequels, but at the same time it means there wasn't a Rambo 3 or Die Hard 4 to diminish the whole series. It is a perfect self contained action movie.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Diverse in race, but it was an all-American culture in Buenos Aires, implying that somehow the American empire had extended itself down there.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
They had clearly pushed all their xenophobia onto actual, literal xenos.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

One More Fat Nerd posted:

They had clearly pushed all their xenophobia onto actual, literal xenos.

Xenophobia never goes away from within. They tolerate other ethnicities as servants of the state for sure tho.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Remember that the characters all have Latin names, too. The main three are Johnny (Juan in the book) Rico, Isabelle Flores, and Carmen (Carmencita in the book) Ibanez. Argentina is pretty European to begin with, but the characters are supposed to sound Latin-American.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Dec 9, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well you have a very clear social delineation between citizens and non-citizens. You had to complete your time in the service to get those benefits (I think active duty was excluded) but once you did you had benefits others didn't. Licenses to have babies, money for school, voting rights.

But if the Sky Marshall is in the military, does that mean the leadership can't vote since they're technically still in the armed forces? Politics in Starship Troopers is unnecessarily complex.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

But if the Sky Marshall is in the military, does that mean the leadership can't vote since they're technically still in the armed forces?

Do you want to know more?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also not to forget that the historical Nazis could be very flexible when it came to who did or did not count as part of the master race depending on political expedience.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get the fascist undertones, but everyone seems fairly diverse. Men and women from every ethnic group fighting together as equals. Not saying other aspects aren't authoritarian, but Hitler would not be happy with how things turned out. Doesn't a Black woman take over after the White guy fucks up the invasion?

Facists don't have to do everything Hitler did, you can still be fascist and authoritarian without genociding other people, especially when you've got spaceships to take to other planets and be dickheads with. Plus they can still have a lot of diversity in their population and also be a eugenics-based culture -- most of the characters in the movie are good looking, talented, and healthy so they could still be the product of a society that values 'good genes'.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also, back to True Lies. I'm torn that they never made sequels, but at the same time it means there wasn't a Rambo 3 or Die Hard 4 to diminish the whole series. It is a perfect self contained action movie.

There was a bit of talk about a sequel, but it's pretty much off the table now. True Lies and 'The Rock are that genres swan songs I think. The unapologetically un-PC, utterly bombastic, real-explosions and real-stunts blockbusters just don't really get made anymore. Now if movies get their budgets they're gonna be PG-13 CGI-fests which have been reallllly boring to me for quite a few years now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's still Mission Impossible.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Tumble posted:

Now if movies get their budgets they're gonna be PG-13 CGI-fests which have been reallllly boring to me for quite a few years now.
The CGI isn't even the issue; Hollywood has forgotten what makes a good action scene. Recent blockbuster action movies offer them only as spectacle, there's very rarely an emotional component that drives the plot or shows off the character. Jackie Chan made amazing action scenes, partly because he brought great emotion to them: he looked scared as poo poo, and expressed pain. Contrast the Marvel/DC snoozefests where it's just strong people punching each other with no reaction.

I definitely miss the era of real-stunts; Mission Impossible 4 & 5 are much better for using them. But they're also shot very well to highlight that you're actually watching someone do it for real. By contrast, the Fast & Furious scene where they drag a bank vault behind 2 Dodge Chargers was actually mostly practical effects, but was shot so poorly with shakey-cam and quick cuts that I figured it was just terrible CGI.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Are we seriously arguing the subtlety or lack thereof with Starship Troopers? The book as well as the film are pretty up front with their message(s) I think.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

Are we seriously arguing the subtlety or lack thereof with Starship Troopers? The book as well as the film are pretty up front with their message(s) I think.

I'm a little confused as well. I think the previous posts have established Heinlein saw Latinx as human beings, which is good.

Verhoeven saw fascism and made a dark comedy of it.

Not much more to say.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I will say that some movies/shows have really put a lot of effort into getting gun fights to be super intense compared to '80s-'90s era shootouts which are on par with Always Sunny's mocking representation in their lethal weapon home movies.

Generation Kill was pretty good at that with a pretty low body count kind of depiction of war and Sicario comes to mind for the shootout at the border and in the caves. John Wick movies just kinda get silly after a while though because that's really all there is to it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Starship troopers is a really good sci fi action movie

Starship troopers is a fantastic comedy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seeing JW3 in the theater was one hell of an experience. The sound design on it was amazing. The finale left me with a headache from all the shotgun blasts.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Not gonna lie and say I don't enjoy the JW movies, but there's not a lot of substance beyond watching him shoot plenty of dudes and then reload at the appropriate time and manipulate a bunch of guns.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

Remember that the characters all have Latin names, too. The main three are Johnny (Juan in the book) Rico, Isabelle Flores, and Carmen (Carmencita in the book) Ibanez. Argentina is pretty European to begin with, but the characters are supposed to sound Latin-American.
Book Rico is Pinoy, not from Argentina. Buenos Ares still gets destroyed but he doesn't particularly care very much about it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's not much "subtle" about any of them.

The mirror maze was amazingly filmed, and the motorcycle chase (actually the whole opening, including the knife to the eye and following *crunch* noise AND subtitle) is nothing short of spectacular.

It's basically a movie where someone said "gently caress around and find out" and someone took them up in it, and now there's a death toll in the low 3 figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
What plot there is in the sequels actively annoys me. It's difficult to put into words how little I care about the stupid loving crime hotel where everything costs exactly one pirate doubloon :v: