Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system are you buying this shitheap on
PC
Playstation 4/5
whatever XBox is calling their poo poo now
WiiU
View Results

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

My CoD itch is back after a 5 year absence, should I get MW or Cold War? Seeing mixed reviews on the new hotness, but the old hotness is still full price for some reason? I don't have a preference really, though Black Ops 2 is probably my favorite in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

May as well get the new one because MW won’t get more content and will have a dwindling player base

I say this despite my post above ripping it apart

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I hope they never add riot shields

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Was MW this terrible in the beginning?

Very much so, with the addition that none of the maps were in any way enjoyable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

alg posted:

I hope they never add riot shields

Mods??

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think my biggest grudge is that the crossplay and party systems are complete garbage. I play on PC with people on Xbox and god help us if we get dropped out of the party because it’s gonna be 10 minutes of loving around to get it going again. It’s not just a crossplay thing either, the Xbox people can’t even join each other. It seems every night one of us is chosen to be the golden child and it Just Works™️ for everyone to join that person, until it doesn’t and we have to find out who is the new chosen one. As part of troubleshooting, I unfriended one of my friends with the intention of re-adding them but now the game won’t send my invites to him or his to me. The only way we can play together now is if there is a 3rd friend online that we can both join. But if he or I are the chosen one, then the other one is boned.

The funny thing is that this isn’t just crossplay that’s awful for partying up. On PlayStation you only see players in game who you are Activision friends with as listed as being online or joinable. MW would pull from both the regular friends list on PSN as well as the Activision friends list, and I think even the beta for this game had two friends lists for grouping up but I guess they want more people to appear to be using their Activision accounts so you have to either join using an external party invitation or send Activision friend requests to everyone you want to play with again in the future despite both being on playstations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Black ops sucks but only because I want it to fail because it shortened the lifespan of the game I own: MW

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Blame your fellow Americans who won't loving WEAR THEIR GOT drat MASKS. The length and severity of the Covid-19 crisis is why Blops CWar is so short and feels anemic. Under the circumstances, it's frankly amazing that they were able to put out even as much product as they did.

I ain't a Treyarch fanboy at all, I'm Infinity Ward all the way down. But this is a hell time for companies that used to rely on people working closely together.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really wish that COD would do the Fortnite thing, or even the overwatch thing where you pay for the base game and it’s just updated in perpetuity while they generate cash from game sales and then eventually battle passes.

Like season 1 could last for 6 months and be Cold War, then season 2 is modern warfare, season 3 is ghosts (lmao), or something like that. But you have the same base game the whole time. Sort of a combo of the Fortnite and Overwatch business models. You could even have the different companies develop the different seasons to keep with the current status quo.

They already do it with Warzone. They know it could work

I realize there is corporate inertia involving like 30 different companies that prevents this, but this madden-esque release style is feeling more and more antiquated every day.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish that COD would do the Fortnite thing, or even the overwatch thing where you pay for the base game and it’s just updated in perpetuity while they generate cash from game sales and then eventually battle passes.

Like season 1 could last for 6 months and be Cold War, then season 2 is modern warfare, season 3 is ghosts (lmao), or something like that. But you have the same base game the whole time. Sort of a combo of the Fortnite and Overwatch business models. You could even have the different companies develop the different seasons to keep with the current status quo.

I realize there is corporate inertia involving like 30 different companies that prevents this, but this madden-esque release style is feeling more and more antiquated every day.

It's a cool idea and I would definitely be down if they stuck to one engine (IW, obviously). But Activision's share price has outperformed the S&P 500 by 11,000% over the last 20 years and Warzone's freemium model has proven to be a tremendous cash cow. If nerds keep handing them £50 each year for a new game plus whatever guff they sell for COD points, do you really see a shitheel like Bobby Kotick upsetting shareholders?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

TBH with as gross and predatory the fortnite model is, I think I almost prefer the madden model. I much prefer a single player campaign and a multiplayer where you can get unlocks by doing stuff, even if it's repetitive stuff, instead of "well, I guess you could just play the game, but allllll your friends are buying loot boxes... but yknow maybe its not for you, we're just going to remind you every 30 seconds to, y'know, keep the conversation open"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d argue COD badgers you about the battle pass more than Fortnite does

Which would be more palatable if I didnt already pay $60 for the game.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

gently caress this game needs more maps ASAP. I thought miami was bad on release but its honestly refreshing with how bored I am with the rest

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gasoline posted:

Very much so, with the addition that none of the maps were in any way enjoyable.

No it wasn’t

It has bugs and the (larger number of) release maps were eh, but it was *substantially* more polished than Cold War from the jump

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’d argue COD badgers you about the battle pass more than Fortnite does

Which would be more palatable if I didnt already pay $60 for the game.

At least the Battle Pass is a buy-once sort of thing. I think I paid $3 for COD points when I bought MW, it paid for the initial Battle Pass, then just playing through each season’s Battle Pass earned enough to pay for the next.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So does fortnites though.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I tried to login to get the free pack but I'm running into the bug where it thinks I haven't bought the full game. Neat!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah people love to call out Fortnite as some predatory thing but all the big games do exactly the same thing and some of them have the audacity to charge you for the privilege

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Picked this up to give it a try. I'm a weird COD Player in that I played the original Modern Warfare years ago, never played a single COD after that, and then picked up the new Modern Warfare for something to play during lockdown and loved it.

From what I've read/watched a lot of COD players seem to feel like the multiplayer for this one is a return to the fast paced twitchy style they love, but for me this game feels like a pretty big step backward. The gunplay/feel of the guns in Modern Warfare and the way my player feels when they move seem much better.

Haven't tried Zombies or the Campaign yet, but I don't think I'm gonna stick with the multiplayer for this one. I think I'll play Modern Warfare until the player base for it dries up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Whoever said that Cold War has twitchy low TTK gameplay lied to you lol

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Whoever said that Cold War has twitchy low TTK gameplay lied to you lol

Yeah, but my problem with it is less the TTK and the way the game feels when I play it. It feels like a game from last generation, whereas Modern Warfare feels more modern, for lack of a better term.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

threeagainstfour posted:

Picked this up to give it a try. I'm a weird COD Player in that I played the original Modern Warfare years ago, never played a single COD after that, and then picked up the new Modern Warfare for something to play during lockdown and loved it.

From what I've read/watched a lot of COD players seem to feel like the multiplayer for this one is a return to the fast paced twitchy style they love, but for me this game feels like a pretty big step backward. The gunplay/feel of the guns in Modern Warfare and the way my player feels when they move seem much better.

Haven't tried Zombies or the Campaign yet, but I don't think I'm gonna stick with the multiplayer for this one. I think I'll play Modern Warfare until the player base for it dries up.

Zombies is super fun, but you are spot on with the feel of multiplayer in this game. I think I’m playing better than I did in MW2020 which is probably why the youtubers love it, but it definitely doesn’t have the layer of effort and polish that MW2020 had.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Qmass posted:

I thought miami was bad on release but its honestly refreshing with how bored I am with the rest

They've rotated it in to the big Combined Arms playlists and it makes sooooo much more sense there

Also really happy that today's patch is changing the rocket launcher kill streaks to 2 instead of 3

Edit: I'm playing on PC these days but with all the cross play I'm always happy to hang out and sing songs and make fun of Macy!!!! Activision ID is BaronVanAwesome or on BattleNet I'm Mom#1838

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 8, 2020

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

threeagainstfour posted:

Yeah, but my problem with it is less the TTK and the way the game feels when I play it. It feels like a game from last generation, whereas Modern Warfare feels more modern, for lack of a better term.

I felt this way when I first played Cold War too, but it's grown on me a lot.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I felt this way when I first played Cold War too, but it's grown on me a lot.

Yeah same here. Though I went back to do a game of Plunder with friends today whilst Blops got its download and I was so much more aggressive in game, twitching and checking every corner. It's really changed my playstyle.

I have to say that the ability to shoot down a care package chopper before it delivers is never ever going to get old.

The game is far more fun as soon as you get some attachments that let you actually see the enemy. Can't recommend those enough.

Still feels weird the way we run about though. I miss that from MW, it just felt more grounded.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I know this has been said before but it bears repeating now that you have to install Warzone separately, what god ordained right does activation believe that it has to demand that I dedicate a quarter of a *terabyte* to this game? The game is like six maps and nine missions, and two of those take place in a single tiny open map. Learn to compress your games, for god's sake

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know this has been said before but it bears repeating now that you have to install Warzone separately, what god ordained right does activation believe that it has to demand that I dedicate a quarter of a *terabyte* to this game? The game is like six maps and nine missions, and two of those take place in a single tiny open map. Learn to compress your games, for god's sake

I give it about 3 months before my entire PS5 hard drive is Cold War

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
"Trophy System will now destroy incoming Trophy Systems."
ha

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Since the patch is out, I'll give this game another whirl and see if I can play without crashes. The patch notes didn't seem to mention fixing the UI bugs in dirty bomb; hopefully it was just minor enough not to get mentioned.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How did they release a 24GB next-gen patch and not even fix the inverted reticles bug?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

It seems like they added a bunch of poo poo no one wanted and possibly hosed matchmaking even worse in the patch.

-Straight up forgot all of my settings.

-Added the stupid notification that you unlocked something in the create a class menu. No way to clear them without going into the specific guns.

-Added advanced haptics on PS5, but they make no sense. No vibration for, say, an airstrike hitting close, but the controller bucks when I go from a sprint to a walk or ADS. Because momentum I guess.

-Lobbies barely exist, I was thrown into a guaranteed loss 4 games in a row. When I did get in a lobby it had 3 100s in it, all of whom were placed on the opposite team (they were not in a party). I was the only prestige on my team. I think I left when it was 20-3 (TDM).

I played 3 more games and all of them were sweat lobbies with the entire enemy team sniping or using burst weapons in loving TDM. Lost all three badly. Decided to do anything else with the remainder of my day.

Critical fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 9, 2020

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This is on sale right now for $40 so I guess I'll try it out.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Critical posted:

I played 3 more games and all of them were sweat lobbies with the entire enemy team sniping or using burst weapons in loving TDM. Lost all three badly. Decided to do anything else with the remainder of my day.

Are people not allowed to use burst guns and snipers in team deathmatch? Pistols and fists only?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I played the poo poo out of 24/7 nuketown and now everything else just feels so loving slow.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I'm mostly just playing zombies and Fire Team, really enjoying it that way. I played a few rounds on some of the maps in the classic modes and it just wasn't my speed I guess....

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Prowler posted:

Are people not allowed to use burst guns and snipers in team deathmatch? Pistols and fists only?

people can use whatever they want. burst weapons are broken and annoying to play against. an entire team using them is exhausting.

many pardons for being slightly salty after a few bad games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think this is the first time I've seena COD game go on sale this quickly.

...actually I can't think of the last time I saw a cod game go on sale period, since they often don't make it into seasonal sales

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think this is the first time I've seena COD game go on sale this quickly.

...actually I can't think of the last time I saw a cod game go on sale period, since they often don't make it into seasonal sales

MW2019 went on sale for $38 on Black Friday 2019.

They almost certainly want Cold War on sale to make it more attractive to people who are exposed to it via warzone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's hard to say what my favorite part about Cold War zombies is, whether it's your side ability that can define how you handle a situation having a 50% chance of just not working when you press the button, or having the host quit 31 rounds (aka two hours) in and have the game look at the three other players and go "well I couldn't possibly find anyone to migrate to, so no one gets to keep playing or gets a match bonus, gently caress you"

Aces

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Anyone know if extra salvage attachments stack? I've tried with and without and it's been wildly variable.

Still dumb that higher level ones give salvage but add some kind of penalty. Come on guys, this is pretty basic stuff.

And yeah SBMM has taken a wild and savage swing with my 1.5 down to 1.1 (not that it matters but it's a useful point of data to judge by) with a run of games over a few days so excruciating I retreated to zombies. I've got everything upgraded and a poo poo tonne of crystals left over so I hope they put something else in we can use them for.

I'm too scared to show my face in multiplayer. The nasty children keep hurting me.