Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Feet and Inches is a much better way to measure a human being than centimetres and miles are much better for measuring distance than kilometres but other than that I broadly prefer metric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have never run into a situation in my entire life that would be made even slightly easier or better in any way by using the metric system.

"I'll have 4.7 deciliters of beer please" get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense
You're right, that is nonsense. Because that's not something anyone has ever said. And not just because no one uses decilitres (it would be 470 ml). No one who's ordering a beer cares about the exact measure they're getting, you just pick whichever glass size is close enough.

How about scaling recipes? Instead of knowing how many tablespoons are in a cup or whatever, you just do some very simple maths. Or measuring stuff? No converting inches/feet/yards/miles, it's just moving a decimal point.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Feet and Inches is a much better way to measure a human being than centimetres and miles are much better for measuring distance than kilometres but other than that I broadly prefer metric
Better how?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Metric tonnes” are tremendously daft and we should call that quantity the megagram.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

How about scaling recipes? Instead of knowing how many tablespoons are in a cup or whatever, you just do some very simple maths. Or measuring stuff? No converting inches/feet/yards/miles, it's just moving a decimal point.

Sixteen. There are sixteen tablespoons in a cup. Twice that is 32. Sorry that maths isn't simple enough for you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why do y'all say 185cm instead of 1.85m?

I think that's what breaks American brains, because everyone knows a meter is a little longer than a yard but you start saying big numbers of centimeters and like whoa

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i will have it no other way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
‘Centi’, ‘deci’, ‘deca’, and ‘hecto’ are all bad and we should skip to the powers of one thousand.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiggum posted:

You're right, that is nonsense. Because that's not something anyone has ever said. And not just because no one uses decilitres (it would be 470 ml). No one who's ordering a beer cares about the exact measure they're getting, you just pick whichever glass size is close enough.

Better how?

better for me in terms of I know what a 6 foot tall person looks like, I know what it feels like to walk a mile

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

guitar solos are actually the most important part of the song because it's the part you're supposed to sing along with

wah werp weeeeeeeerp doodooloolooolooooloooooooooommmbrp

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have similar feelings about Fahrenheit

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I like all the measurements I am familiar with from being raised where those measurements are used.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i detest bridges in songs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its not possible to travel to another star, it isnt now but it will also never be possible, it cant be done

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

This is actually a loving solid opinion Shibawanko, how many songs with really really great bridges are there out there? It's super difficult to write a song bridge thats not awkward and out of place

christmas boots posted:

I have similar feelings about Fahrenheit

this is absolute madness. at least when I prefer miles or feet theres no starting base, Celsius literally has water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100, you couldn't make up a more perfect system if you tried

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Nice try, Finn, but here in the land of the pharaohs, the day begins and ends at high noon.

Seriouspost: the ancient Aegyptians just didn't live long enough to fight the post-deluge Finns.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have never run into a situation in my entire life

You don't have a life.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This is actually a loving solid opinion Shibawanko, how many songs with really really great bridges are there out there? It's super difficult to write a song bridge thats not awkward and out of place
it always sounds like a kid took the instruments and is improvising based on the melody from a final fantasy game

incidentally i also hate it when videogame music is remixed by people who put bridges in the song or long intros or outros

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
At 0 F it’s cold as gently caress, at 100F it’s hot as gently caress. At 70 it’s perfect and I might want to wear a jacket if it’s at 60

I’d use Celsius for any real science but i personally find Fahrenheit more intuitive at a glance if I want to know how to dress for the day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

At 0 F it’s cold as gently caress, at 100F it’s hot as gently caress. At 70 it’s perfect and I might want to wear a jacket if it’s at 60

I’d use Celsius for any real science but i personally find Fahrenheit more intuitive at a glance if I want to know how to dress for the day

No you don't you piece of poo poo.

e: You are literally lying, and you're ugly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Die mad euros :smuggo:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

Fortunately since March my daily dressware has consisted of a dressing gown

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the imperial system is there to compensate for being circumcised

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

So like a pint glass?

:c00lbert: fukkin owned :c00lbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

Slow down, you move too fast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I detest all bridges. Over rivers. In songs. On teeth. In Tron. All of them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

I detest all bridges. Over rivers. In songs. On teeth. In Tron. All of them.

Man was not meant to cross bodies of water or large ravines

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lee Mack is less of a funny Englishman than Henning Wehn.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ok Draculas

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I also hate mirrors and people who open the door but don't invite me in

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't WANT to saak your blaad but I'll.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lee Mack is less of a funny Englishman than Henning Wehn.

I can't imagine anyone going to bat for Lee Mack.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I can't imagine anyone going to bat for Lee Mack.

This might've been too popular?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

Totally agreed (though I usually had to use Kelvin for most of my real science, yay for thermo). Metric is great for when I have to do anything with conversions but since I didn’t grow up with it it’s not as intuitive as whacky units like feet/inches or degrees Fahrenheit.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I always wanted to be tall but I guess you're saying it... sucks?

Say you're an awkward child of 11 perhaps and pushing 2 meters in height. Your face is blooming with acne you're suffering from mild depression and anxiety just from your puberty and such.

Do you really want to be head taller than most of your classmates at this point? A target for bullies who know drat well that height is not going to give you the ability to fight back and in fact are looking at you a little like they look at their abusive fathers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have never run into a situation in my entire life that would be made even slightly easier or better in any way by using the metric system.

"I'll have 4.7 deciliters of beer please" get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense

That would never happen you loving Lowtax.

E: you voted for Trump. Twice. And you support Pewdiepie on Patreon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anyone who still likes bill de blasio goes to the gulag with him

Also the “fahrenheit feels natural” thing is just as “I grew up with this” as thinking cm are the logical way to measure human height. No one has ever been like “gently caress will today be a warm 17 or a cool 17?”

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Dec 10, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Farenheit is more granular across the spectrum of commonly encountered environmental temperatures and so it feels better to use.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

Farenheit is more granular across the spectrum of commonly encountered environmental temperatures and so it feels better to use.

Actually, having “warm” be positive numbers and “cold” be negative numbers makes way more sense

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually, having “warm” be positive numbers and “cold” be negative numbers makes way more sense

Having negative anything doesn't makes sense. It's not "negative" degrees out. Kelvin temperature supremacy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Heh heh heh so it begins again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The only reasonable measure of anything is a dude throwing stones at a sheet of metal ala Salute of the Jugger.