Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
"Cis white guys shouldn't educate themselves on epilepsy" is a unique thesis statement, I'll give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

I'm totally gunna come off as an rear end on this, but looking into the replies, I'm kinda annoyed at Patrick Klepek because he seems like the whitest dude ever and he's asking people to DM him epilepsy stories.

I get it, but something about a cis white guy doing that kinda stuff rubs me the wrong way.
Is epilepsy less common among white people?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

Bakeneko posted:

You might come across as less of an rear end if you explained why exactly you feel that way.

Some quick googling tells me he's a journalist so I would guess he's doing research for an article, which is a legitimate reason to ask people for their stories as long as he's being polite about it. And what does someone's race and gender identity have to do with epilepsy?

I have a predisposition against super white rear end journalists who write articles about the suffering of others. In this case the article work definitely isn't a race/gender thing, but the approach is still white as hell. Sitting at home and collecting stories in DMs is IMO the safest, whitest poo poo on the planet.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

I have a predisposition against super white rear end journalists who write articles about the suffering of others. In this case the article work definitely isn't a race/gender thing, but the approach is still white as hell. Sitting at home and collecting stories in DMs is IMO the safest, whitest poo poo on the planet.

It also seems like an acceptable way to gather at least basic research for a topic someone doesn’t have personal experience with or much knowledge about prior to writing an article for publication as a journalist.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he should be out in the field, ambushing epileptics and giving them seizures so he can witness the effects firsthand. That’s how a dangerous black journalist would do it anyway, but he’s chosen the safe, white route...

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It'd be infinitely less lame if he tore a new one into CDPR and called them bitches for doing an obviously stupid thing and poorly handling it. Or tagged the whole studio in one big post and was like yo what the gently caress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i've learned a lot about journalism today.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ButterSkeleton posted:

whatever book or twitter post you read that made you like this you need to invent the MiB flashy thing to make yourself forget it

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I'm not a cis guy, PM me your epilepsy stories and I'll DM them to Klepek.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm cis and straight but I'm also black. How sus am I?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ButterSkeleton posted:

Only white people use DMs? What? I legitimately don't get what the problem is.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not cis or straight but am white can I sit at home collecting stories?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Eh, all I can really say is I distrust cis white dudes with anything to do with publishing work on groups of people. It's impersonal, it's mildly exploitative, and it's not hitting anyone or taking advantage of privelege. At best it's using people's feeling of wanting to be understood to get another dude paid.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That is indeed how journalism works.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Hello fellow SJWs. Those whites sure are problematic.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this thread lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The whitest thing to do would have been to write a story about epileptics without talking to any.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ButterSkeleton posted:

It'd be infinitely less lame if he tore a new one into CDPR and called them bitches for doing an obviously stupid thing and poorly handling it. Or tagged the whole studio in one big post and was like yo what the gently caress

You got problems you got issues

Get help

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
If we weren't already in a Hellworld I'd say YouTube's new declaration that they're going to removing videos that claim the 2020 Presidential Election was rigged would be a dangerous precedent to champion.

But we're already in a Hellworld and pretty much every single person creating content like that is probably a piece of poo poo person so I'm okay with it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have never seen such a bizarre misunderstanding of what journalism is.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Which take is worse: Being mad at Patrick Klepek for following the basic tasks of his job, or calling Mia Mulder bougie for complaining about being woken up by jackhammers in the morning?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ButterSkeleton posted:

Epilepsy is something that doesn't really give a poo poo about your race, gender, sex, or pretty much any other facet of your identity. People across the globe can get it and suffer from it, a lot of people can get hit by it and literally never know or realize what it is because we, as a sort of increasingly media reliant culture, have a weirdly specific and usually joke-focused definition of what epilepsy and seizures are (people watch cartoons, fall down flailing wildly and comically) and the majority of people will probably go through life without ever encountering a seizure or even knowing an epileptic personally even though there are certain types of non-dangerous epileptic activity that are fairly common in a lot of the population. All most people know about this poo poo tends to come from things like The Simpsons which had one episode that jokes about anime causing seizures. And the hosed up thing? Any epileptic who doesn't like being made light of like that just gets told to shut the gently caress up and stop being a bitch. Just like with the recent cyberpunk controversy where tons of people I, otherwise, thought were cool and respectable couldn't wait to prove just how much they loving hated people who's brains are broken.

It's something that doesn't get reported about, often, and a ton of people are very ignorant about to the point where there's this massive almost insultingly myopic view about epileptics where even people in progressive spaces just have zero sympathy or empathy for us. I see arguments like "Well if you ignore the warning signs whatever happens is your own fault" and it's just a really callous and exhausting one because basically every facet of your life is potentially seizure triggering unless you wear a blindfold all day and sleep perfectly every night in a hyperbaric chamber or some other absurd poo poo like that because it's an absurdly varied and individual disability to have. Know what the number one thing that makes me feel dizzy and faint is? The sun. Specifically morning sun, the way it flashes behind trees, poles and other things when riding in a bus or other vehicle. For years that made getting to school or work an absolute nightmare because sometimes I'd arrive borderline incoherent and most people would just shrug their shoulders and tell me that was my own problem (I, in fact, failed phys ed. because my school didn't give a poo poo about what my doctor said). There's nothing I can do about that except try to work my life around that poo poo and I was lucky enough to be diagnosed when I was young so I've had decades to adjust and adapt to a fairly restrictive life in regards to garbage like that. For people who get diagnosed later in life, it's very difficult to adapt because depending on the severity they might well have to treat every day like they're made of glass now and if anything goes wrong the entire world is ready to just tell them to gently caress off it's their own fault. It's really, really, hosed up how lovely people are to epileptics and diabetics, yo.

Here's a personal anecdote about just how much this poo poo sucks: I was diagnosed at thirteen. I had just started learning how to drive, because I'd have been able to get my learners in the next few years, and was really excited to finally have a car and be able to drive. But my seizures were hard hitting and we didn't know what triggered them right away, so unless we could figure that out and get them under control (in my state at least it's something like two years seizure free and owning your own car and having a driver's license is pretty key to a poo poo ton of jobs in America, even if you don't need them for that job - boy howdy let me tell you how fun it is to try and get a job when you have neither of these things.) then I'd just flat out never be able to drive. So that was one hopeful dream smashed. Movies? Video games? Watching TV? Even browsing the internet? Well again, depending on what set off the seizures and whether or not we could find a medication that would get them under control I would either not be able to do these things at all or would have to do so in a severely limited fashion lest I be risking my life every time I wanted to look at fun jpgs. Oh and stress and exhaustion exacerbated my new condition and made me even more prone to seizures. Know what makes me real stressed and exhausted? Having all of my hobbies potentially hacked away from my life and having to spend the next few decades structuring my life around a heavily restricted schedule and public transit. Any time I had a seizure my doctor blamed me for it. I wasn't following the restrictions, I wasn't taking my medication, I wasn't doing it right. But the medication didn't work. I kept saying this, it didn't loving work. It just made me sick. Seizures kept coming, and since no one loving listens to an epileptic, they just blame us, I got to spend a good few years getting worse and worse until I could finally, legally, make my own medical choices and find a doctor who would listen to me. Even then it took us another five years to find a medication that works because that's just the joy of epilepsy. My current medication, and as far as we know the only thing that works, destroys my bones though. I now have to take five different medications just to stop my ribs from shattering at the most mild of impacts, it's just a loving horror show down there now, not a single one lines up with another anymore. Oh, and during all of this? I had no one to talk to. No one who gave a poo poo. Because Epilepsiy is a funny joke! Pretty much anyone who found out in real life spaces would immediately try to start flashing the nearest light switch. People online would start sending gifs and youtube links.

I say all of this because holy gently caress, if the reaction to that cyberpunk thing proved anything it's that we desperately need more people to report on epilepsy. Because, still, people don't give a poo poo about epileptics. Our experiences are ignored and dismissed, even when it's about our own reactions and experiences. People continually look for excuses to blame us for what happens and the sheer disdain shown for something we literally have no control over is not only disgusting, but depressing. We deserve to have fun too, and we deserve to be treated with respect like anyone else. But at best people just kind of treat us like we don't exist. Because when they do, it's just as a joke or active dislike.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm cis and straight but I'm also black. How sus am I?

You can ask people to send you stories about their experiences with generalized epilepsy, but not focal epilepsy.

EDIT:

:emptyquote:ing this good rear end post.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 10, 2020

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

I see essentially where I'm fumbling, and at it's core I probably do have a fundamental issue with some basic principles of journalism, and that it feels like it's exacerbated when white people write for marginalized groups.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Redacted

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Nuebot posted:

Epilepsy is something that doesn't really give a poo poo about your race, gender, sex, or pretty much any other facet of your identity. People across the globe can get it and suffer from it, a lot of people can get hit by it and literally never know or realize what it is because we, as a sort of increasingly media reliant culture, have a weirdly specific and usually joke-focused definition of what epilepsy and seizures are (people watch cartoons, fall down flailing wildly and comically) and the majority of people will probably go through life without ever encountering a seizure or even knowing an epileptic personally even though there are certain types of non-dangerous epileptic activity that are fairly common in a lot of the population. All most people know about this poo poo tends to come from things like The Simpsons which had one episode that jokes about anime causing seizures. And the hosed up thing? Any epileptic who doesn't like being made light of like that just gets told to shut the gently caress up and stop being a bitch. Just like with the recent cyberpunk controversy where tons of people I, otherwise, thought were cool and respectable couldn't wait to prove just how much they loving hated people who's brains are broken.

It's something that doesn't get reported about, often, and a ton of people are very ignorant about to the point where there's this massive almost insultingly myopic view about epileptics where even people in progressive spaces just have zero sympathy or empathy for us. I see arguments like "Well if you ignore the warning signs whatever happens is your own fault" and it's just a really callous and exhausting one because basically every facet of your life is potentially seizure triggering unless you wear a blindfold all day and sleep perfectly every night in a hyperbaric chamber or some other absurd poo poo like that because it's an absurdly varied and individual disability to have. Know what the number one thing that makes me feel dizzy and faint is? The sun. Specifically morning sun, the way it flashes behind trees, poles and other things when riding in a bus or other vehicle. For years that made getting to school or work an absolute nightmare because sometimes I'd arrive borderline incoherent and most people would just shrug their shoulders and tell me that was my own problem (I, in fact, failed phys ed. because my school didn't give a poo poo about what my doctor said). There's nothing I can do about that except try to work my life around that poo poo and I was lucky enough to be diagnosed when I was young so I've had decades to adjust and adapt to a fairly restrictive life in regards to garbage like that. For people who get diagnosed later in life, it's very difficult to adapt because depending on the severity they might well have to treat every day like they're made of glass now and if anything goes wrong the entire world is ready to just tell them to gently caress off it's their own fault. It's really, really, hosed up how lovely people are to epileptics and diabetics, yo.

Here's a personal anecdote about just how much this poo poo sucks: I was diagnosed at thirteen. I had just started learning how to drive, because I'd have been able to get my learners in the next few years, and was really excited to finally have a car and be able to drive. But my seizures were hard hitting and we didn't know what triggered them right away, so unless we could figure that out and get them under control (in my state at least it's something like two years seizure free and owning your own car and having a driver's license is pretty key to a poo poo ton of jobs in America, even if you don't need them for that job - boy howdy let me tell you how fun it is to try and get a job when you have neither of these things.) then I'd just flat out never be able to drive. So that was one hopeful dream smashed. Movies? Video games? Watching TV? Even browsing the internet? Well again, depending on what set off the seizures and whether or not we could find a medication that would get them under control I would either not be able to do these things at all or would have to do so in a severely limited fashion lest I be risking my life every time I wanted to look at fun jpgs. Oh and stress and exhaustion exacerbated my new condition and made me even more prone to seizures. Know what makes me real stressed and exhausted? Having all of my hobbies potentially hacked away from my life and having to spend the next few decades structuring my life around a heavily restricted schedule and public transit. Any time I had a seizure my doctor blamed me for it. I wasn't following the restrictions, I wasn't taking my medication, I wasn't doing it right. But the medication didn't work. I kept saying this, it didn't loving work. It just made me sick. Seizures kept coming, and since no one loving listens to an epileptic, they just blame us, I got to spend a good few years getting worse and worse until I could finally, legally, make my own medical choices and find a doctor who would listen to me. Even then it took us another five years to find a medication that works because that's just the joy of epilepsy. My current medication, and as far as we know the only thing that works, destroys my bones though. I now have to take five different medications just to stop my ribs from shattering at the most mild of impacts, it's just a loving horror show down there now, not a single one lines up with another anymore. Oh, and during all of this? I had no one to talk to. No one who gave a poo poo. Because Epilepsiy is a funny joke! Pretty much anyone who found out in real life spaces would immediately try to start flashing the nearest light switch. People online would start sending gifs and youtube links.

I say all of this because holy gently caress, if the reaction to that cyberpunk thing proved anything it's that we desperately need more people to report on epilepsy. Because, still, people don't give a poo poo about epileptics. Our experiences are ignored and dismissed, even when it's about our own reactions and experiences. People continually look for excuses to blame us for what happens and the sheer disdain shown for something we literally have no control over is not only disgusting, but depressing. We deserve to have fun too, and we deserve to be treated with respect like anyone else. But at best people just kind of treat us like we don't exist. Because when they do, it's just as a joke or active dislike.

It's unbelievably terrible that you have to deal with that poo poo. It's awful, especially, how alone you felt about all of it. I hope you have found at least some support network nowadays who have provided some help for you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't think you see at all where you're fumbling when you're still unable to grasp that the marginalised group in question also includes white people.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

It's unbelievably terrible that you have to deal with that poo poo. It's awful, especially, how alone you felt about all of it. I hope you have found at least some support network nowadays who have provided some help for you.

It was the start of my becoming Very Online, really. Since I couldn't do as much fun stuff as I could before I started hanging out on more forums (which was how I discovered SA eventually) and I made some internet friends who were nice people, eventually. Some of whom I'm still in contact with well over a decade later.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Nuebot posted:

It was the start of my becoming Very Online, really. Since I couldn't do as much fun stuff as I could before I started hanging out on more forums (which was how I discovered SA eventually) and I made some internet friends who were nice people, eventually. Some of whom I'm still in contact with well over a decade later.

I'm glad you've found some people who understand you and keep on contact with. And I apologise if my topic upset you in particular, I'm trying to work through a personal grudge I have I think.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1336710426420269058

These days you'll get arrested and thrown in jail just for saying you failed the LSAT.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 10, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

I'm glad you've found some people who understand you and keep on contact with. And I apologise if my topic upset you in particular, I'm trying to work through a personal grudge I have I think.

It's less upset and more just frustration at how we, epileptics, in general tend to be ignored and dismissed even when we do speak up about something that impacts us. People seem to think that a blanket "product has flashing lights" warning should be good enough to shut us up and make everyone happy, but it's kind of not. And this whole conversation that's arisen has really pointed out how many people are not only ignorant, but actively want to remain such.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

ButterSkeleton posted:

I see essentially where I'm fumbling, and at it's core I probably do have a fundamental issue with some basic principles of journalism, and that it feels like it's exacerbated when white people write for marginalized groups.
as a cis white male who has suffered multiple seizures I must inform you that your whole line of questioning here is absolute nonsense

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ButterSkeleton posted:

Eh, all I can really say is I distrust cis white dudes with anything to do with publishing work on groups of people. It's impersonal, it's mildly exploitative, and it's not hitting anyone or taking advantage of privelege. At best it's using people's feeling of wanting to be understood to get another dude paid.
you're a dipshit lol

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Which take is worse: Being mad at Patrick Klepek for following the basic tasks of his job, or calling Mia Mulder bougie for complaining about being woken up by jackhammers in the morning?

There's a funny side that goons, possibly including me, used to get mad at Patrick for being a lovely journalist who barely reached out to experts or do anything but navel gaze.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its healthy to question the motives of anyone writing about a disadvantaged minority they don't belong to but like a Gay Trans Aboriginee would also not have any idea about epilepsy without talking to people with actual experience of the condition.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

Its healthy to question the motives of anyone writing about a disadvantaged minority they don't belong to but like a Gay Trans Aboriginee would also not have any idea about epilepsy without talking to people with actual experience of the condition.

Well put. My error entirely on connecting my personal issue with this specific situation at hand.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sarcopenia posted:

Broey Deschanel made a neat video on Miyazaki and Romanticism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbJeGN0SbM

This is really great, and it's part of a collective playlists project themed around making video essays on different movie directors!

Here's the whole playlist for Miyazaki: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_XBsckzagj23_rA59PO3i1AcIb2Igv0I

Broey Deschanel also did a great video on the Baz Luhrmann Romeo + Juliet movie and accessible Shakespeare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZgIOje85Q

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1336710426420269058

These days you'll get arrested and thrown in jail just for saying you failed the LSAT.

The absolute loving peak of this whole saga was Destiny forgetting/not knowing how personalized trends on Twitter work and accusing RL of gangstalking him by making LSAT trend.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

How far would Destiny get in an "Internet shitarse" tournament to find the most hated dickhead out there? Got to be a high seed, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

How far would Destiny get in an "Internet shitarse" tournament to find the most hated dickhead out there? Got to be a high seed, surely.

It probably comes down to, what, him and Keemstar who tries to profit off the other dickheads so even they hate him.