Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Trying to paint a terminator in darkness lit only by the muzzle flash by his gun.

Dunno if it's working, but it looks alright.

I don't have something to compare it to but I do know that it looks dope. You must now setup a finished shot in a space hulk corridor with some advancing genestealers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Geisladisk posted:

Trying to paint a terminator in darkness lit only by the muzzle flash by his gun.

Honestly, this is the kind of OSL I can get behind. I think its a mistake when someone paints up a mini that appears to be in daylight, but has fire or plasma glow cast on them, etc. It doesn't make sense. Like, I get its stylized and all that but still. This is exactly how I imagine OSL SHOULD look. If I were to offer any kind of suggestion, maybe make the barrel of the cannon more intensely lit? And perhaps make the drop off in light more dramatic around his right shoulder pad (his right, not the right side of the photo).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Geisladisk posted:

I love this much lower key OSL. But I think you could maybe reinforce the gun barrel a little bit - it's very close to the source, it's metal and hard angles, I feel it should catch more of the light.

Furism fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 9, 2020

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
This has probably been asked several times and I'm sure the answer going to be "personal preference" but...

What are peoples recommendations for fine detail brushes? I use W&N Series 7 normally, but the last set I bought the quality wasn't the normal standard I expected for such expensive brushes. I watch lots of mini painting YouTube videos and they all have brushes with the most amazing points, I just want to be able to paint some buttons without having to guess where my brush will actually land

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geisladisk posted:

I'll echo the other posters and say that I really like it.

Personally I think even more contrast could work, the back obviously can't get much more black than plain flat black. But maybe the front could be even more lit, to the point of almost blowing out. For the gun, I would make the muzzle flash much brighter, almost white, and make especially the front of the gun more brightly lit. Boost the contrast almost to a level of too much.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

grobbendonk posted:

This has probably been asked several times and I'm sure the answer going to be "personal preference" but...

What are peoples recommendations for fine detail brushes? I use W&N Series 7 normally, but the last set I bought the quality wasn't the normal standard I expected for such expensive brushes. I watch lots of mini painting YouTube videos and they all have brushes with the most amazing points, I just want to be able to paint some buttons without having to guess where my brush will actually land

I got a Raphael 8404 #2 and it's been my favorite brush so far. I ordered a rosemary and company of roughly equal size and it's coming soon so I'll see how it compares.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've boughtsome Raphaels and W&Ns in the past few years and the quality control on both seems to be super hit or miss. Last brush I bought was a Raphael from Blick and it just came loose in an envelope without even a bristle guard. It was miraculously not ruined, but still, yikes. W&N come in those plastic tubes so at least you won't have to worry about them being ruined in transit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got a Raphael 8404 #2 and it's been my favorite brush so far. I ordered a rosemary and company of roughly equal size and it's coming soon so I'll see how it compares.

I have a 1 and a 0 and I absolutely love em

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love big brushes and I cannot lie. The other bristles just get too dry. When a ferrule walks in with an itty bitty point and a kolinsky hair in my face I get sprung

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love big brushes and I cannot lie. The other bristles just get too dry. When a ferrule walks in with an itty bitty point and a kolinsky hair in my face I get sprung

:hmmyes:

My W&N Series 7s have lasted years and been great workhorses but they actually had stray hairs and not the best tips from the moment I got them. I guess QC wasn't great but they've been durable enough to not degrade much at all over time and I can still work them into good points.

I just got some Raphael 8404s and I love them so far but the larger overall sizing has been challenging to get used to.

I also got some Abteilung 502s at the start of pandemic, and while I get a lot of work out of my #2 I can't recommend them at all. The shape of my #2 looks and feels carved, the bristles don't taper so much as the outer bristles just kind end long before the tip, if that makes sense. The #0 I got from the same set has no point at all, it's just a club.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Buying brushes online feels like such a crapshoot. I wish I had a good art store somewhere near me so I can be a turbonerd and spend an hour finding the perfect brush out of the pile.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got four Rosemary & Co.s I ordered last year, in my brush cup, still in the bag they came in because I haven't worked up the nerve to start using them :ohdear:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Buying brushes online feels like such a crapshoot. I wish I had a good art store somewhere near me so I can be a turbonerd and spend an hour finding the perfect brush out of the pile.

I have also had this exact thought recently :(

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TheBigAristotle posted:

I have a 1 and a 0 and I absolutely love em

You sound like an adorable little computer.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I ended up not using the other two Rosemary brushes I ordered with another size 0 brush. :v: Partially because I'm afraid of ruining them and partially because they're more wash brushes than general paint brushes so I forget to switch over whenever I work.
Although I think I might've been a bit too heavy handed with my size 0 as it's already lost its tip a bit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got four Rosemary & Co.s I ordered last year, in my brush cup, still in the bag they came in because I haven't worked up the nerve to start using them :ohdear:

Stop painting this instant and take them out of the bag. The next thing you paint you gotta use them. Going from crap citadel brushes to my rosemary brushes was a huge step up.

Get some brush soap and perhaps vallejo brush cleaner and clean as needed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aside from the mcmasters puck, what else idea worth using for cleaning brushes? I just run mine through that when I'm done painting and make sure to not let paint dry on the brush while painting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just give 'em a nice long rinse under the tap. I'm currently on year four of the same set of winsor and newtons so that seems to work alright.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Brush talk.

I've used W&N #7, Da Vinci, Raphael, GW, Army Painter, Dick Blick house brand(real and syntetics) and recently picked up some Bomb Wick Igniters from monument.

A real Series 7 is the best I've used, but there are two caveats, first they're often counterfeited so you need to make sure you're getting them from a reputable source and second there was some sort of ban on importing the hair they use in their brushes recently so new brushed are using existing stock of hair or something so they might not be as good.
Da Vinci and Raphael were both very good substitutes, and used to be less than half the cost of a Series 7, but now that they're almost the same price I'm not as excited about them.
GW were acceptable, but really pricey for what you're getting
Army Painter were crappy, would not use again
Dick Blick sable brushes are cheap and good for things that you don't need high quality brushes, i bought a dozen of their "Hobby and scholastic" grade natural hair brushes and they're good for dry brushing, mixing paints or whatever.
Dick Blick Golden Taklon brushes are really good, but I don't dig the feel of synthetic fibers.
I haven't broken out the Bomb Wicks yet but I plan to over the holiday.

E: For cleaning I use a brush tank, it's got a metal spiral inside to agitate the water, and a screw on cap to keep it from spilling when not in use.
https://www.dickblick.com/products/silicoil-brush-cleaning-tank/

Spanish Manlove posted:

I used to work with a well known artist who insisted on buying all his brushes in person so he could lick them beforehand, it was important to him that they tasted right.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 9, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You sound like an adorable little computer.
lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm building a Deathwatch army and I'm considering ways to create a variety of Chapter insignias if I don't want to keep buying bits or Shapeways. One of the methods I thought about was making my own water slide decals.

But it seems like a slightly daunting task that requires some planning and equipment.

Does anyone have any good tips/videos/tutorials handy?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Stop painting this instant and take them out of the bag. The next thing you paint you gotta use them. Going from crap citadel brushes to my rosemary brushes was a huge step up.

Get some brush soap and perhaps vallejo brush cleaner and clean as needed.

This is awesome to read as I recently just ordered a couple of kolinksy sable Rosemary and Co brushes from their website along with some brush soap. I'm stoked to use some quality brushes for once.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 9, 2020

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I tried to buy the parts to assemble my own spray booth but it turns out the fan I bought needs to be wired into the light switch, which I can't do as I rent. Seems like this is quite common in the UK, so I'm looking into a ready made one. Does anyone have any experience of this type of spray booth : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Spray-Booth-Spray-Booth-Model-Spray-Booth-Spray-Booths-UK-Business-/153822257791 or any cheap alternatives?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Mugsbaloney posted:

I tried to buy the parts to assemble my own spray booth but it turns out the fan I bought needs to be wired into the light switch, which I can't do as I rent. Seems like this is quite common in the UK, so I'm looking into a ready made one. Does anyone have any experience of this type of spray booth : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Spray-Booth-Spray-Booth-Model-Spray-Booth-Spray-Booths-UK-Business-/153822257791 or any cheap alternatives?

I have one that looks almost exactly like that except the tubing vent is made of black plastic. I think they're all made in China and sold through different distributors. I've only used it a few times since I'm new to airbrushing but it folds nice and compactly. I use it in a small apartment with the balcony door slightly ajar for the vent and it works great. The fan is a little loud though, way louder than my air compressor so if you have thin walls that might be an issue. It sounds like mini vacuum cleaner when the fan is on but at least I know its working properly and sucking out the particles. Also, mine didn't come with LED light strips but I've read that some other models include them. It hasn't been an issue for me though since I move my swivel lamp to cover it.

Lasting Damage posted:

I love that guy! He's from the excellent Black Reach box set (rip those amazing deffkoptas, never got a separate sculpt).

I gotta join in on all the good Orkpostin':

I got the Warboss second hand and had to salvage a messy construction + paint job which is why he doesn't have those cables leading to the power claw and some of the texture is a little rough. I love the model as well and I just had to have him even though I have other Warboss models in the waiting.

Thems some good Orks.

yum fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 9, 2020

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I'm building a Deathwatch army and I'm considering ways to create a variety of Chapter insignias if I don't want to keep buying bits or Shapeways. One of the methods I thought about was making my own water slide decals.

But it seems like a slightly daunting task that requires some planning and equipment.

Does anyone have any good tips/videos/tutorials handy?

I'm planning on printing off some of my own custom decals for the first time tomorrow and will get back to you with a more detailed post if everything goes smoothly.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

OSL Termie turned out well.

Also painted a genestealer for him to shoot in the same style.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 10, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Owns.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nice.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm planning on printing off some of my own custom decals for the first time tomorrow and will get back to you with a more detailed post if everything goes smoothly.

Rad! Looking forward to it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Geisladisk posted:

Hell yeah, that looks great.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Communist Walrus posted:

I've got some of these I haven't used yet and am INTENSELY curious as to your findings.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FSF69RM/

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

yum posted:

I have one that looks almost exactly like that except the tubing vent is made of black plastic. I think they're all made in China and sold through different distributors. I've only used it a few times since I'm new to airbrushing but it folds nice and compactly. I use it in a small apartment with the balcony door slightly ajar for the vent and it works great. The fan is a little loud though, way louder than my air compressor so if you have thin walls that might be an issue. It sounds like mini vacuum cleaner when the fan is on but at least I know its working properly and sucking out the particles. Also, mine didn't come with LED light strips but I've read that some other models include them. It hasn't been an issue for me though since I move my swivel lamp to cover it.

I got the Warboss second hand and had to salvage a messy construction + paint job which is why he doesn't have those cables leading to the power claw and some of the texture is a little rough. I love the model as well and I just had to have him even though I have other Warboss models in the waiting.

Thems some good Orks.

Thanks, appreciate it. Torn between paying for an electrician/ doing it myself / caving and buying the off the shelf option.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

This owns.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Geisladisk posted:

Rad

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I can't convince my son to get anything else than the W40K starter kit for Christmas. Since he's 6 he lacks some of the fine motor skills to properly paint minis. Would splashing them in Contrast color give an okay result? What can I do to make painting feel good for a small kid?

I usually let him paint the Reaper figurines I don't care about, but for this one I think it'd be great to aim for a higher "standard" !

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think contrast would be pretty foolproof on something that doesn’t have many flat surfaces like a space wolf or some nurgle thing or whatever but a marine can look like a miserable pile of tide marks if you’re careless with contrasts (source: first time i used them)

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Get and paint them together with him. Sounds like a fun time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Furism posted:

I can't convince my son to get anything else than the W40K starter kit for Christmas. Since he's 6 he lacks some of the fine motor skills to properly paint minis. Would splashing them in Contrast color give an okay result? What can I do to make painting feel good for a small kid?

I usually let him paint the Reaper figurines I don't care about, but for this one I think it'd be great to aim for a higher "standard" !

I wouldn't worry too much, a 6 year old is probably perfectly capable of producing a result a 6 year old will be pleased with, whether you use contrast or normal paints.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
My son (5) did a couple marines and a terminator. Looks like hell, but he loves them and so do I.

I let him use bases. I wouldn't give him contrast paints, mainly because he lacks the comprehension of "too much" paint on a brush and because of how contrast paints work, he'd probably think it wasn't working right and slab them on.

The bases obviously work better for this.

In addition, for the actual development of the skills, I think bases would be better. It would allow him to see where the brush is touching, etc. And though I'm not saying it's making my son the next Bob Ross of mini-paints, its setting the ground work, whether he realizes it or not.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, a 6 year old is probably perfectly capable of producing a result a 6 year old will be pleased with, whether you use contrast or normal paints.

I'd go with this. My daughter is thrilled she can finally paint faces. How are faces painted? First you cover the head in blue, then you paint the nose orange and lastly you dab two circles of bright green where you feel the eyes belong.

She's proud, and it's okay that the werewolves look like they're auditioning for clown college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
after more than a month of struggling with it, I finally managed to get my badger 105 properly disassembled after their factory gorilla overtightened one part so bad it apparently jumped the thread: i guess it might have helped my airbrushing experience if it had been making a proper seal.

this is a good airbrush but you have to take it apart, lubricate all the parts, and put it back together correctly, because Badger will not do those things for you, and I guess that's what you get for buying american

truly, though, if anyone is just considering getting into airbrushing: start with iwata