Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

i say swears online posted:

interstellar was about gently caress-all about as far as i can tell

this can't be definitively disputed because no one's actually made it to the end of interstellar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i say swears online posted:

halfway through my first viewing of avatar and i am at peace with the fact that the navi are smokin' hot

Terminal autist posted:

I'm really bored with the scifi or fantasy trope where they use magic poo poo as a standin to discuss racism because nerds are awful, its even loving stupider in district 9 when its set in south africa staring an afrikaner and directed by an afrikaner. Just make a sci fi movie and not some dumbass boring rascism is bad 101 trash.

so many people telling on themselves itt today

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Interstellar owns

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Wolfsheim posted:

this can't be definitively disputed because no one's actually made it to the end of interstellar

I did mushrooms once and came up right as they went through the wormhole and visited the tidal wave planet, it was a lot of fun

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lol, getting mad at believing in the power of love

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Victory Position posted:

the original Solaris?

original Solaris is steeped in politics you crazy?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The_Rob posted:

original Solaris is steeped in politics you crazy?

I honestly must have forgotten something then since I remembered it as an existential movie about the soul in face of the horrors of the unknown

that and the effects of extreme isolation on people, so yeah, I must be missing something here

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i have deduced that christopher nolan sucks, and my hypotheses has been consistently been confirmed by data collected from his movies and analyzed with the science of neurosuckology that has unlocked the mysteries of nolan's brain itself: it's a big wet puddle

but nolan fans... don't worry. sometimes, great work stands the test of time. other times, reputations become so universal and stupefying that mediocrities go echoing down through the centuries like the tolling of great big bells

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i love the idea of torpedoing an anti-imperialism read on a blockbuster movie because of "cultural appropriation" discourse, liberals vs leftists if anything right there

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i have deduced that christopher nolan sucks, and my hypotheses has been consistently been confirmed by data collected from his movies and analyzed with the science of neurosuckology that has unlocked the mysteries of nolan's brain itself: it's a big wet puddle

but nolan fans... don't worry. sometimes, great work stands the test of time. other times, reputations become so universal and stupefying that mediocrities go echoing down through the centuries like the tolling of great big bells

i still like memento and saw it in theaters. prestige was also ok

but holy moly everything after has sucked. tenet was a joke (you can pirate a high quality dvd copy now)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xaris posted:

i still like memento and saw it in theaters. prestige was also ok

but holy moly everything after has sucked. tenet was a joke (you can pirate a high quality dvd copy now)

Prestige and Dark Knight are excellent. I love Prestige because Michael Caine has affected the way I say that word now IRL I can only say it in a cockney accent, emphasis on the first syllable.

"The third part, the hardest part...is the PWEH-steej."

e: I'm never gonna see Tenet, though, that poo poo looks boring.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I dunno I thought Dunkirk was good. I like most of his movies actually but they're definitely guilty of feigning depth and meaning that isn't actually there - Inception is the best example of this. Dunkirk is the exception because it's historical drama, and the Batman movies (though to a lesser extent) because he still had subject matter he had to stick to. When left completely to his own devices though, he just jumps ten feet up his own rear end in a top hat.

He's no James Cameron, that's for sure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Majorian posted:

e: I'm never gonna see Tenet, though, that poo poo looks boring.

yeah it was bad. i think what gets me is they aren't even good popcorn action flicks. like the "big shootout" at the end of tenet is just some guys color-coded in team fortress 2 skins and shooting at empty cars and empty buildings, there's... nothing there. it's supposed to be some grand finale but it's a huge nothinburger to watch. the opera start is the most action and it's mostly just a few door kicks and a couple of shots. inception also had really bad action. it's ok to be dumb, but have some good aciton and just go crazy with backwards shooting or warping or whatever.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

agreed that the prequels are ridiculously political but the ot is definitely not vietnam and if you want to argue that point you have to actually argue it

star wars came about because lucas was originally hired to direct apocalypse now but kept insisting on making the viet cong ewoks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

star wars came about because lucas was originally hired to direct apocalypse now but kept insisting on making the viet cong ewoks

lol that would have been epic

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

someone is buying a shitload of crappy avatars with weak burns

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey francis? john? instead of little guys in black pajamas running around the jungle how about we get some cute litttle fuzzy bears who can rig up punji spike traps and talk in a different funny language

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1336546388985999360?s=19

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you scoff but lucas' idea for indiana jones and the last crusade was indy and his dad get chased around a haunted castle by ghosts

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Speaking of that Robert Zemeckis Jim Carey Christmas Carol movie, I did like that it kept the part about Ignorance and Want in. So many adaptations leave that out

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Tenet is sort of impressive in how well planned out certain bits are and how much work they must have been to pull off, and how little cgi there is, but also, super boring. I watched it with my girlfriend and spent the entire time organizing various things in my room instead of paying attention.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you scoff but lucas' idea for indiana jones and the last crusade was indy and his dad get chased around a haunted castle by ghosts

a spooky Knights Templar castle? if it weren't for the 7th Guest, this could have been a good dumb ghost LucasArts game

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Victory Position posted:

I honestly must have forgotten something then since I remembered it as an existential movie about the soul in face of the horrors of the unknown

that and the effects of extreme isolation on people, so yeah, I must be missing something here

The uncaring unknown / space / fate-controlling superintelligence is the Soviet Union, and isolation is alienation. This is made explicit where rather than show the ship traveling through space they just drive around drab Moscow in a lovely car for a very long time.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

i agree with marianne. start the third impact

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

thotsky posted:

The uncaring unknown / space / fate-controlling superintelligence is the Soviet Union, and isolation is alienation. This is made explicit where rather than show the ship traveling through space they just drive around drab Moscow in a lovely car for a very long time.

makes enough sense, I got really tied up with the alienation and being drunk while watching it

definitely sounds like it's time for a second watch

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dumper Humper posted:

Tenet is sort of impressive in how well planned out certain bits are and how much work they must have been to pull off, and how little cgi there is, but also, super boring. I watched it with my girlfriend and spent the entire time organizing various things in my room instead of paying attention.

someone should help nolan when shooting a fight, theres a couple of good shots in the hallway scuffle but a lot of the rewind choreography looks kinda boring despite how interesting the challenge was.
he should just do war movies since he clearly doesnt care about dialog on a level of what's being said, for him it's just white noise and bond like thrillers need some funny lines here and there

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Victory Position posted:

succ forum for sure

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

thotsky posted:

district 9 was really boring i sort of dozed off at multiple points in the theater but if i remember it correctly its like alien refugees gives a white hipster dude herpes that turns his arm into a megaman arm-cannon then he runs around a lot until he dies from sadness

yeah man it’s the best movie ever

the only way anyone could like it is if they are literally one of the bug people depicted in the film

Doc Hawkins posted:

so many people telling on themselves itt today
:allears: :ironicat:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

nolan is the worst living big-budget director. michael bay at least isn’t fooling himself or others

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Their entire riff about the tentacle sex was based on a false premise. The original theatrical release did not have it. A later theatrical re-release included it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

zegermans posted:

Their entire riff about the tentacle sex was based on a false premise. The original theatrical release did not have it. A later theatrical re-release included it.

email virgil to let him know

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

marriane, i like you, but that is NOT what imaginal means. please stop you're hurting entomologists

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Hooplah posted:

marriane, i like you, but that is NOT what imaginal means. please stop you're hurting entomologists

etymologists :colbert:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

lol, yes, those too

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Victory Position posted:

Purge the pulps imo. With them all looking the same they make it difficult to know exactly which poster has the bad opinion

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Hooplah posted:

she's half quoting a Catholic theologian iirc
peter thiel likes the guy a bunch too

if anyone remembers his name, please reply

fake edit: Teilhard de Chardin?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
also doesn't the caterpillar die as part of the process, as in it's brain is liquified and a new one grown?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zedhe Khoja posted:

also doesn't the caterpillar die as part of the process, as in it's brain is liquified and a new one grown?

You think the brain is the seat of the soul?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

brains don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hey francis? john? instead of little guys in black pajamas running around the jungle how about we get some cute litttle fuzzy bears who can rig up punji spike traps and talk in a different funny language

lol oh no, i heard this in the We Hate Movies Lucas-voice(s)