Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't get how huge Starship is until a few months ago so it's worth mentioning that with some creative cutting to fit the wings and stabilizer into the fairing, it would be able to launch the shuttle orbiter as internal payload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1336877322784419842

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

What happens when a high-ranking government official gets Alzheimer's bad enough to the point where it's impossible to cover up anymore? If it were the president, in a perfect world presumably the 25th amendment would be activated, but what about a senator or something?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

What happens when a high-ranking government official gets Alzheimer's bad enough to the point where it's impossible to cover up anymore? If it were the president, in a perfect world presumably the 25th amendment would be activated, but what about a senator or something?

Basically nothing can be forced on a senator, they have to resign or die to be replaced unless 66 other senators agree it’s time for them to go.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
She evidently had a few good days when she remembered to profit off of classified COVID briefings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

His juiced-up SCUD-Bs could've made a real mess of Southern Italy, ~80% of Greece, and could've *barely* hit Israel if he'd launched them practically on the border with Egypt.

How juiced were they?

I’m seeing news articles saying three hundred to eight hundred kilometres (lol), but it would take nine hundred to more like a thousand to hit Israel or Macedonia.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Spoggerific posted:

It's already happened. And nothing was done.

Reagans brain was full on cheese for years before he left.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

How juiced were they?

I’m seeing news articles saying three hundred to eight hundred kilometres (lol), but it would take nine hundred to more like a thousand to hit Israel or Macedonia.

1000km theoretical. That's why I said he'd pretty much have to launch from as far east as he could get.

Supposedly after the Lampedusa incident they practiced duck and cover drills at Sigonella (and Comiso, when it was still open), since Sicily is a bigger and easier target to hit.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 10, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Spoggerific posted:

I saw her speak at an event back in 2016. She was rambling and had like 6 handlers and it was obvious she was in decline then. Everyone in the audience knew and asked the very-nice-very-simple questions because it was obvious anything else would be cruel.

It's a loving crime that she didn't retire for this last election cycle.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just when you thought 2020 was done serving up, it gives a bit more

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/us/northern-lights-display-wednesday-night-scn/index.html

quote:

A spectacular display of the northern lights is possible Wednesday night as far south as Pennsylvania and Oregon.
Communication disruptions could come, as well.
The sun just released the equivalent of a massive solar belch, sending highly charged coronal matter across the solar system. Some of the sun's energy will reach our atmosphere Wednesday night and Thursday, motivating stargazers to look toward the night sky in anticipation of the colorful, shimmering northern lights.

If your favorite radio station crackles with static or your GPS strays by a few yards, it's not just another byproduct of a crazy year. The incoming solar weather can actually cause communication disruptions such as GPS positioning errors and interference within our power grid. NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center says that the potential exists for strong storm levels "if the magnetic field carried with the CME connects well with Earth's magnetosphere."

oh and the sacramento area is offering 8600 per week (412k/yr) for nurses due to huge shortages

ded fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 10, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the bright side cyberpunk 2077 is loving amazing. I’m playing at using GeForce Now, Nvidia’s streaming service and it’s so so so good. Yeah it’s got some goofy rear end bugs, but unlike say fallout 76 the game is actually fun and worth it. GFN unlike stadia just uses the game that you buy off of GoG or Steam, so no worries about losing your purchase when Google kills off Stadia.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

ded posted:

It's already happened. And nothing was done.

Reagans brain was full on cheese for years before he left.

Any world where Reagan became president is not a perfect world. :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/us/northern-lights-display-wednesday-night-scn/index.html

Blew out my satellite radio signal about a half hour ago near DC!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

ded posted:

This seems like a bit of scaremongering from CNN. These kinds of events are fairly common during periods of solar activity which occur on a roughly decade-long cycle, though the sun has been on the quiet side of the cycle until recently. For comparison during one of the last solar maximums I was able to see the northern lights quite strongly from Missouri/Kansas and one solar storm in the 80s knocked out power in parts of Canada.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
when was the last time we had a particularly powerful sun fart, anyway? sounds like it's been a while if we're only just now pulling back up into a more active cycle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It amuses me that American tourists fly to Scandinavia to see the northern lights when the geomagnetic anomaly brings the show much farther south on their home continent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

when was the last time we had a particularly powerful sun fart, anyway? sounds like it's been a while if we're only just now pulling back up into a more active cycle.

https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/images/55580/biggest-solar-flare-on-record

And this'un, which missed us by over a week: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_2012

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 10, 2020

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

The Carrington Event, which occurred in 1859, was likely the strongest geomagnetic storm ever recorded. If it had hit the Earth in modern times, after the advent of widespread electronics, well...

Wikipedia posted:

In June 2013, a joint venture from researchers at Lloyd's of London and Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) in the United States used data from the Carrington Event to estimate the cost of a similar event in the present to the U.S. alone at $0.6–2.6 trillion, which at the time equated to roughly 3.6% to 15.5% of annual GDP.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Spoggerific posted:

In June 2013, a joint venture from researchers at Lloyd's of London and Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) in the United States used data from the Carrington Event to estimate the cost of a similar event in the present to the U.S. alone at $0.6–2.6 trillion, which at the time equated to roughly 3.6% to 15.5% of annual GDP.

Apparently that study also estimated a recovery time of 4 to 10 years.

:staredog:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus, imagine that hitting in the middle of the rona.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Jesus, imagine that hitting in the middle of the rona.

Knocking industrial capacity offline just as the first batches of vaccine were about to roll off the end of the production lines. The coup de grace to topple the United States forever. :allears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Apparently our entire electrical grid is held together with duck tape and rubber bands and we are no poo poo insanely vulnerable to all threats natural and manmade. I think someone mentioned some component that I don't really remember that we just plain don't have enough of and if they were to all get fried it'd be a long and lethal road back to semi functional.

On an unrelated note, if you work from home, it's never too early to start drinking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The world only needs so many larger transformers built in a typical year.

If for whatever reason we needed many more, we’d have to retool facilities on a scale not seen since the Second World War, and after a bad magnetic storm, we’d have to do it with our systems already broken.

Once they’re built, just moving and installing them isn’t easy.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Apparently our entire electrical grid is held together with duck tape and rubber bands and we are no poo poo insanely vulnerable to all threats natural and manmade. I think someone mentioned some component that I don't really remember that we just plain don't have enough of and if they were to all get fried it'd be a long and lethal road back to semi functional.

Looks like it's transformers. I took a look at that study that Wikipedia cited in my quote (PDF), and it mentioned transformers as being a bottleneck in several places.

quote:

The total U.S. population at risk of extended power outage from a Carrington-level storm is between 20-40 million, with durations of 16 days to 1-2 years. The duration of outages will depend largely on the availability of spare replacement transformers. If new transformers need to be ordered, the lead-time is likely to be a minimum of five months. The total economic cost for such a scenario is estimated at $0.6-2.6 trillion USD (see Appendix).

Storms weaker than Carrington-level could result in a small number of damaged transformers (around 10-20), but the potential damage to densely populated regions along the Atlantic coast is significant. The total number of damaged transformers is less relevant for prolonged power outage than their concentration. The failure of a small number of transformers serving a highly populated area is enough to create a situation of prolonged outage.

Large transformer repairs/replacements occur on the timescale of weeks to months, and could result in long-term widespread blackouts.

They also appear to rate risk area by density of transformers at the county level.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

To make a rebuild even more complicated, certain systems even around North America are running on older electrical power standards that are wholly incompatible with the 60 Hz grid. IIRC New Orleans' hurricane drainage pumps are powered by four turbines that run on 25 Hz AC; they're patterned after the 25 Hz AC generators developed in the late 19th century and installed at Niagara Falls by Westinghouse. Mechanically converting between 60 Hz and 25 Hz is a pain, and building new systems that can spit out an archaic power standard while you're trying to rebuild a whole power grid running on another standard would be basically something I'd imagine would be immediately considered not worth the effort by manufacturers.

Imagine the combination of pandemic + global electrical grid failure + 2020 levels of climate change hurricanes.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Back in the tail end of the cold war there were plans to standardize designs for grid transmission equipment and then slowly convert things over while stockpiling spares for if the Soviets attacked, but the cold war ended and nothing was implemented, though there's been some recent movement as of 2015 with the creation of the Grid Assurance program after the cyber attack on Ukraine's electrical grid which is sort of a industry-run spares/reserve pool of long lead time equipment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Surprising at all that reagan would give a poo poo about the grid

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Milo and POTUS posted:

:smith:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

:golfclap:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Porfiriato posted:

This seems like a bit of scaremongering from CNN. These kinds of events are fairly common during periods of solar activity which occur on a roughly decade-long cycle, though the sun has been on the quiet side of the cycle until recently. For comparison during one of the last solar maximums I was able to see the northern lights quite strongly from Missouri/Kansas and one solar storm in the 80s knocked out power in parts of Canada.

Eh most of the time it is minor poo poo like making ham radios not work too well. I kind of wish this one was a little stronger so the lights would come south enough for me to see.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Months ago during the height of quarantine I was researching Coronal Mass Ejections like the Carrington event for a novel I might write.

Apparently, there's a lot of debate on whether it would really act like a nuclear EMP, i.e. whether it would take out all electronics, especially cars. I read somewhere that it wouldn't be powerful enough to completely fry cars, but that they might sputter, or shut down, and require you to turn your keys back and turn it back on again.

Anyone here have any clue on that question? What about generators and stuff?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well actually it was a big part of the factors in nuclear warfare an-- ... oh... ohhhhhh drat

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not an engineer so grain of salt on this. My understanding is the power grid is especially vulnerable under these conditions because it has hundred/thousands of miles of antennas just ready and waiting to gather up that energy in the form of power lines, where a car is a discrete object only able to gather so much of the radiated energy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/providing-police-military-gear-reduce-crime-protect-officers/story

quote:

Two independent studies have drawn the same conclusions: billions of dollars in surplus military equipment, including armored vehicles and high-powered rifles, that have been transferred by the federal government to thousands of U.S. police departments have not reduced crime or increased officer safety.

[sic]

"The collective assessment of the two studies is that ... the distribution (of military equipment) to local law enforcement doesn’t seem to affect one way or the other. It doesn’t reduce crime, it doesn’t lead to an increase in crime. It doesn’t seem to reduce officer injuries. It doesn’t seem to increase them either," Clark said.

[sic]

Lowande said he examined 3.8 million archived inventory records for his study and found that much of the equipment sat unused, malfunctioned or was given away to other law enforcement agencies and no longer properly accounted for.

"When you look at those types of police department’s crime rates over time, you don’t see any differences," Lowande said.

He said that after the Obama administration's rollback on the 1033 program -- which he described as mostly "symbolic" -- there was no evidence it impacted the crime rate.

“So, if this equipment was playing a big role in reducing crime in those areas, you would have expected to see crime go up and it just didn’t," Lowande said.

Clark said his team's study found that due to lax record-keeping, it was difficult to determine how much of the equipment was actually being used by police departments.

"Our findings suggest this program, which is roughly 30 years old, isn’t actually contributing to public safety," Clark told ABC News.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

:drat:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

:thurman:

Meanwhile, the State Department is ending 2020 on a very :sad: energy international super spreader note:

quote:

The State Department hosted roughly 200 guests Tuesday night at the presidential guesthouse despite concerns of public health experts and a new positive coronavirus case on the premises since last week, according to two U.S. officials.

A State Department spokesman said the “Holiday Cheer” reception that typically follows the tour was canceled this year because of concerns about spreading the novel coronavirus, but two bars were set up in the guesthouse as the face-shield-wearing catering staff poured drinks into holiday-themed paper cups. Guests unmasked to consume the beverages, causing people to congregate and create occasional choke points, the two officials told The Washington Post.

Amid the poinsettias, chandeliers and meticulously decorated Christmas trees, children on Tuesday night received “Be Best”-branded swag such as backpacks, Frisbees and water bottles from first lady Melania Trump’s signature anti-bullying and wellness initiative. The State Department has a stockpile of “Be Best” merchandise that is often handed out when the first lady travels abroad. In the absence of a second Trump term, officials need to find a home for the surplus gear, one U.S. official said.

“It’s time to get rid of the leftovers,” the official said.

I went to a State Department holiday party and all I got was a Be Best water bottle and the Rona!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...00c2_story.html

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Facebook just had a very bad day.

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1336756976638959617?s=19

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1336757430022234113?s=19

Pretty obviously coordinated between the feds and the states - they're looking to make facebook spinoff instagram/whatsapp/etc. Not seeing much political SECTION 230!!!1!1!1 nonsense from reading the intros/endings.

And just like that, out of the blue Facebook, Messenger and Instagram - platforms which seem to have the sort of uptime that most administrators dream of, suddenly have widespread performance issues today. What an odd coincidence!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/owveMJBTc2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
This will go well.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1337067127455539201