Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1336750771791138821

Another brexit success story! Eagerly awaiting angry pieces in the papers on 2nd january about how eurocrats spoiled people's new year holidays to Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ronya posted:

in the long term I'd get a laser - cheap inkjets that are infrequently used will dry up; cheap inkjets that are frequently used should just be a known CISS-compatible purchase (which a microchipped, region-locked PIXMA certainly isn't), and the wedge of suitability in between is perilously narrow
My Brother laser mono is now eight years old. I've changed the toner once (cheap third-party not OEM) and literally had just one paper jam event. It's otherwise been flawless. I also know it'll be ready to print within about ten seconds of turning it on. There's zero chance I would ever look at another inkjet for a regular printer. Too many people get hung up on wanting to print colour when that benefit is swamped by the trail of unhappiness that inkjets leave behind...

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Printer wise, I've actually been pretty happy with HP's instant ink service.

It's subscription based, with the lowest tier being £1.99 a month. For that you have an allowance of 50 pages of whatever you want to print. Unused allowance rolls over into subsequent months. Doesn't matter how much ink goes on the page, it's the number of pages that matter.

The printer checks ink levels and if you are running low, HP send you another one. There's no delivery charge for the boxes. They also have it so that you always have a spare ready to go.

I'm honestly very impressed with the service. I've used it to print off entire RPG manuals and board game rule books.

Also, when you first buy the printer, you get several months free, so you can use one of the highest tiers and print to your wildest dreams.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

serious gaylord posted:

Looks like Nick Clegg has had his first taste of success over at Facebook

https://twitter.com/JamesClayton5/status/1336759989986213888

Meanwhile the CEO of Google unplugs his phone. Turns off all the lights and hides under his bed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Meanwhile the CEO of Google unplugs his phone. Turns off all the lights and hides under his bed.

Its weird how this has happened within 3 months of Facebook actually enforcing rules against the right wingers lol.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Piracy is a tad harder now than the glory days of torrent sites but there will always be ways around it.

No its still pretty easy tbh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

My Brother laser mono is now eight years old. I've changed the toner once (cheap third-party not OEM) and literally had just one paper jam event. It's otherwise been flawless. I also know it'll be ready to print within about ten seconds of turning it on. There's zero chance I would ever look at another inkjet for a regular printer. Too many people get hung up on wanting to print colour when that benefit is swamped by the trail of unhappiness that inkjets leave behind...

I similarly have a Samsung b&w laser which is great which replaced a maddening HP colour inkjet.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ndroidApp_Other

loving hell... I wonder if, in a different year, this would be bigger news.

Kingspan hired political lobbyists and created rigged product tests after grenfell to try and create the impression that rival products were just as unsafe as its own.

Senior execs, including the CEO, are copied into emails implicating them in this. They must be dreading their slap on the wrist.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They owners have sold up 100s of millions of shares, they know what's coming.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'd be investing in this if they got what ought to be coming.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1336750771791138821

Another brexit success story! Eagerly awaiting angry pieces in the papers on 2nd january about how eurocrats spoiled people's new year holidays to Europe
"This is simly beyond the pale! Forget the food riots going on outside my office window, why am I not able to go on my jollybobs Mr Corbyn?" (Who's fault it somehow inexplicably is)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Vigil for Virgil posted:

DOJ opened a suit against Google for antitrust violations back in October

quote:

Today, the Department of Justice — along with eleven state Attorneys General — filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to stop Google from unlawfully maintaining monopolies through anticompetitive and exclusionary practices in the search and search advertising markets and to remedy the competitive harms. The participating state Attorneys General offices represent Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, South Carolina, and Texas.

In particular, the Complaint alleges that Google has unlawfully maintained monopolies in search and search advertising by:

Entering into exclusivity agreements that forbid preinstallation of any competing search service.
Entering into tying and other arrangements that force preinstallation of its search applications in prime locations on mobile devices and make them undeletable, regardless of consumer preference.
Entering into long-term agreements with Apple that require Google to be the default – and de facto exclusive – general search engine on Apple’s popular Safari browser and other Apple search tools.
Generally using monopoly profits to buy preferential treatment for its search engine on devices, web browsers, and other search access points, creating a continuous and self-reinforcing cycle of monopolization.
These and other anticompetitive practices harm competition and consumers, reducing the ability of innovative new companies to develop, compete, and discipline Google’s behavior.

Through filing the lawsuit, the Department seeks to stop Google’s anticompetitive conduct and restore competition for American consumers, advertisers, and all companies now reliant on the internet economy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lungboy posted:

If you're not anti Amazon you can buy multipacks of compatible cartridges for the same price as a single standard ink.
I got a multipack of laser printer toner carts (I think five) for less than half the price of a single official HP cart. They’re not as good... but they’re good enough. And when one craps out I’ve got more in the box.

(That said, I once took a new unofficial cart from its pack only to have it literally fall to bits in my hand. You get what you pay for.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

You get what you pay for.
National Printing Service

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I picked up an old Epson printer/scanner for £5 from a charity shop and it works great with cheap refilled carts from Amazon. Last few I had were HP and they were complete garbage, expensive and unreliable.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SpicePro posted:

I don't think that's a good analogy. You might get more e-waste from disposable DVDs because they can't be rented out again but it's not like normal DVDs are any better at being recycled, unlike glass. Clearly the answer is glass DVDs.

Yeah but the volume would have been literally be orders of magnitude more

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

So we'll finally know what Brexit means on Sunday.

lol jking it's no deal, Boris probably showed up drunk to the dinner and insulted everyone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What's a good cheap laser printer I can "buy my parents as a christmas present" that is really a way to save money in their business (of which I'm a thirsty, dividend-drawing leech) because my dad wants a paper record of every email and buying ink is harming my bottom line?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

namesake posted:

lol jking it's no deal, Boris probably showed up drunk to the dinner and insulted everyone.

They've been pushing this meme that it's a 'slim deal', which technically isn't no deal, so presumably it's just no deal but we're still doing security arrangements?

It would loving rule if Boris played hardball with that and in a coked-up blaze of glory decided the perfidious EU had overstepped and the UK will in fact be suffering significantly more terrorist attacks thank you very much.

Honestly it would hardly be the dumbest move politically, there is exactly one exception to the rule that terror attacks in the west support the incumbent and the right wing (corbs responded to the london bridge attack absolutely perfectly and proved there was a space in the public mindscape for nuance) you couldn't blame Boris for thinking more islamist attacks would be good actually, he gets to look tough in the moment and down the line might get to rally the base against the ongoing awful brown people threat too it's win win.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The HP LaserJet 4+ will never die. The world will run out of paper and carbon powder and someone somewhere will be living in a shack writing updated drivers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

What's a good cheap laser printer I can "buy my parents as a christmas present" that is really a way to save money in their business (of which I'm a thirsty, dividend-drawing leech) because my dad wants a paper record of every email and buying ink is harming my bottom line?

If you're printing gigantic amounts of poo poo would a thermal printer be more useful? They don't use ink they use thermal paper instead, which the printer just heats to form the image. The paper as far as I know is pretty generic other than some label printers being calibrated for specific sizes.

It's what supermarkets use to print shelf edge labels, though they are more normally used for things like shipping labels etc, rather than A4 printouts. I think you can get them in A4 though.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"This is simly beyond the pale! Forget the food riots going on outside my office window, why am I not able to go on my jollybobs Mr Corbyn?" (Who's fault it somehow inexplicably is)

ehhhh... wintering in Gstaad is obviously not even remotely on the same level as food insecurity and anyone who's JUST realised Brexit is bad actually because of that, well OK, fair enough. But we *are* losing something with not being able to travel, and everything that freedom of movement brought *however* unlikely it was to be accessible to most people, which I would argue was its own problem. What I mean is, this isn't just about middle class holidays.

You know that thing about "anyone who says they had to suffer as kids and they turned out OK, so other people should suffer too, actually DIDN'T turn out OK"? Being at least theoretically able to get off the island is another ladder pulled up by eliitist pricks that would watch us all drown, and that affects everyone. There's no joy in it just cos Barnaby and Cressida are drowning too. We're all drowning.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you're printing gigantic amounts of poo poo would a thermal printer be more useful? They don't use ink they use thermal paper instead, which the printer just heats to form the image. The paper as far as I know is pretty generic other than some label printers being calibrated for specific sizes.

It's what supermarkets use to print shelf edge labels, though they are more normally used for things like shipping labels etc, rather than A4 printouts. I think you can get them in A4 though.

Used for till receipts too. Which you should never use in a pinch if you've run out of rolling papers and on a cig break.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

It's not gigantic amounts. Just more than an inkjet should really be used for. A mono laser printer/copier would probably pay for itself within a few months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Used for till receipts too. Which you should never use in a pinch if you've run out of rolling papers and on a cig break.

:lmao:

Yeah it's weird stuff, the paper. It's surprisingly sensitive too, I've marked it by holding the tickets in my teeth before, or if you leave them in direct sunlight sometimes they turn black.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Thermal paper fades after a couple of years though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thermal paper fades after a couple of years though.

True, it does yellow quite fast though I'm not sure if that is just because we use particularly cheap paper.

But consider that a hard limit on the amount of paper they can hoard :v:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sassassin posted:

It's not gigantic amounts. Just more than an inkjet should really be used for. A mono laser printer/copier would probably pay for itself within a few months.

I've got a Samsung laser (monochrome) I bought maybe 3 years ago for about £50. Cartridges are expensive but last forever.
Mine doesn't talk to wireless or ethernet though so I have to trail a cable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

True, it does yellow quite fast though I'm not sure if that is just because we use particularly cheap paper.

But consider that a hard limit on the amount of paper they can hoard :v:

If it's for business use though they probably want/need to keep papers for 6-7 years in case Herr Taxman decides to do an audit.

Receipts I have from just 2-3 years ago on thermal paper are virtually illegible now. Older than that forget it. I usually bin receipts after a year but not for capital expenditure.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think anyone's made a home thermal printer since the 8-bit days. They get used for till receipts and stuff because of the outright speed of printing and ease of maintenance (no ink/toner to replace, just top up the paper, only moving part is the paper feed) - I'm 99.9% certain that the actual price per page is considerably higher than conventional inkjet/laser.

Also don't forget that thermal paper is not even vaguely archival - even in absolutely perfect conditions it only lasts a couple of years at most. Most businesses that are printing things out are doing it because they need it for record-keeping processes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was assuming "print out all your emails" was more of a "my parents are old and do not understant computor" thing.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Payndz posted:

Iofficial HP cart

I’ve just entered the world of fake HP carts. Retail box complete with hologram seal, but the QR code o n the seal goes to http://www.8-hp.com instead of https://www8.hp.com - that and the cartridge serial number reported by the printer are the only differences I can see.

Perhaps if they were not so ridiculously expensive, there would be no market for fakes? Shocking suggestion, I know. hashtag-capitalism

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 10, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I was assuming "print out all your emails" was more of a "my parents are old and do not understant computor" thing.

The government can't read your emails if you print them and then delete them

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Epson printers have cheaper ink, and don't seem to care as much about cheap knock off ink cartridges like HP do.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I recently got myself a Brother colour laser (A L3230 wireless) and its been great.

Inkjets are fine for little but often printing (or they need to do a cleaning cycle each time you switch them on), but if you're a high volume or sporadic printer laser is better.

Other benefit that Inkjets have are for photoprinting, especially if you go really highend and get one with 6 colour cartridges (they might do ones with more now?)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think anyone's made a home thermal printer since the 8-bit days. They get used for till receipts and stuff because of the outright speed of printing and ease of maintenance (no ink/toner to replace, just top up the paper, only moving part is the paper feed) - I'm 99.9% certain that the actual price per page is considerably higher than conventional inkjet/laser.

Also don't forget that thermal paper is not even vaguely archival - even in absolutely perfect conditions it only lasts a couple of years at most. Most businesses that are printing things out are doing it because they need it for record-keeping processes.

you can get longer lasting stuff (like 20+ years just from a quick google) but I presume its more expensive, and I imagine that is still heavily dependent on storage conditions

the company I used to work for sold lots of stuff to the pharma industry and most of that had thermal printers because it's really old/cheap (once something is validated, good luck getting them to drop it even if it's completely outdated/illogical), and they need the records to be legible for however many years afterwards for the regulators

think they're trying to move to impact printers though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The only possible defence to that appalling charity notice is that parties might be limited by law as to what they can spend funds on. But I don't know enough about the regulations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I use a printer maybe five times a year and i went through four gummed up ink jets before switching to a Brother laser printer... the damned thing just works. :eng101:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This seems bad

https://twitter.com/ukdecrimnow/status/1336697734938710016?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I bought one of these for fun with some sticker paper and for the price I'm impressed with the general build and functionality

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018656983.html

Little bit janky in the app but the hardware is solid.