Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

codo27 posted:

Haven't played much the last week and in my mind I was still in the bog but I just remembered I'm up to the PvP summon boss. Like always, just about won the first try but all subsequent tries were worse. I really gotta get this finished before christmas. How much further is left to the DLC? I forget

e: apparently not very much. I wonder how many weeks I'll be stuck on Gael and Midir.

Heres a q for everyone. How do you pronounce Havel?

For Gael: bring a shield. For Midir: fight solo, learn the tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Did the cathedral before farron keep, and the cathedral invasions were pretty close, about 60% in my favor when invaded, 70% theirs when invading. But farron keep has been sad, getting hit by invaders who either have never hear of Vigor or are just way underleveled compared to me and die in 3 hits. Only 1 loss so far.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Decided to screw around with a couple questlines on my current run and realized I've never actually healed my dark sigil and killed Yuria. I already know how to play that whole line out with marrying Anri but this is where I am so far:

Have not killed the Pontiff
Have progressed Anri to the Church
Killed the pilgrim assassin in the corner
Healed my dark sigil
Killed Yuria

I got the bow gesture from Yuria when she first showed up and killing her I got her sword and ashes, but didn't realize I could also buy her armor set from the old lady, so that's good.

Am I missing out on anything else? I know I locked myself out of her ending (the Good ending :colbert:) but any major items that I've completely spaced on?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

started my first playthrough and im loving it. so far the highlight of my game was being chased through a swamp by 2 giant crabs and 2 npc guys i could barely damage and baiting both of the npc guys into falling to their deaths in the pit leading to the farron keep bonfire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ASenileAnimal posted:

started my first playthrough and im loving it. so far the highlight of my game was being chased through a swamp by 2 giant crabs and 2 npc guys i could barely damage and baiting both of the npc guys into falling to their deaths in the pit leading to the farron keep bonfire.

By far the best way to defeat those guys, I do it every time

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I got to Sister Friede today. I read in this thread that phase3 was a pain so I knew it was going to be painful. I still wanted to learn the fight so I did lots of tries. Managed to get to phase3 several times once I understood the fight but yeah... Overall I think it's a good boss fight but it's a bit bullshit that after all the work to get to phase 3 you don't get to do many errors. In the end I said gently caress it and summoned a couple of sunlight bros, the fight was a breeze then. Same thing with nameless, I nearly got him down several times but I lost patience and summoned a bro to help me. I guess my dark soul street cred is in the shitter but I didn't have patience to get the fight perfectly down.

I upgraded Gundyr's halberd, love this thing. What are other weapons worth looking into besides Hollowslayer, Lothric SS, Astora's and Gundyr which I already have. Are some dual sword worth using? Those thing looks cool.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

skasion posted:

By far the best way to defeat those guys, I do it every time

it was hilarious. i was sure i was going to die but i randomly found the ladder leading to the bonfire. i climbed back up thinking they would reset but they were waiting for me at the top. after backstabbing one of them for barely any damage i decided they had to take the plunge.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Cinders mod makes the farron keep hole goobers actually smart enough to climb the ladder. Still real easy to cheese, but still funny because it had to be intentional.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

ASenileAnimal posted:

Farron Keep pit, undefeated since 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Le0 posted:

I upgraded Gundyr's halberd, love this thing. What are other weapons worth looking into besides Hollowslayer, Lothric SS, Astora's and Gundyr which I already have. Are some dual sword worth using? Those thing looks cool.

Dragonslayer Greataxe and Vordt's Hammer are both awesome if you love flattening stuff. Gotthard Twin Swords are good, and if you care to farm them the Dual Axes from winged knights are really good.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Black Knight Greatsword hits like a truck.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

And Tyler Too! posted:

if you care to farm them the Dual Axes from winged knights are really good.

This. I didn't use these for ages (mostly because I hate farming for a rare drop), but once I got them I had a blast spinning around like a maniac. "I'm just gonna hold my arms like this...and spin around...and anyone who gets in the way, it's THEIR problem!"

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Dragonslayer Greataxe and Vordt's Hammer are both awesome if you love flattening stuff. Gotthard Twin Swords are good, and if you care to farm them the Dual Axes from winged knights are really good.

Vordt's HammerThe Crab Smasher is great, even on things which are resistant to frost.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Chalupa Joe posted:

Vordt's HammerThe Crab Smasher is great, even on things which are resistant to frost.

I remember going into Dragonslayer Armor thinking I had to be careful, then I was legit trading with him and winning in spots. Barely had to heal because it was so good at solving him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just shy of 68 hours. I'm at Gael. I said "gently caress this, he isn't going to rule me this time. I'm killing him first try". I'm initially shocked at what gimp damage I'm doing to him, and get killed at about 80% health. I know his first phase is easy, my timing is just real off tonight, such that I wonder how I ever beat Sekiro. I'll get him and Midir done the weekend.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
goin back a page or two to blue chat -

GodFish posted:

I was getting invaded literally as soon as the timer reset my entire way through the undead settlement, but the frequency dropped off even at the Road of Sacrifices. You might have more luck with a very low level build.

Kind of correct conclusion, just the wrong reasoning though. You can't be invaded or even co-op in the Road of Sacrifices, there is just no multiplayer in that section. It doesn't start again until you get into the Halfway fortress bonfire and the PvP hotspot that is Watchdogs in the Crux Woods after that (~SL20+2 to SL30+2).

The reason you get tend to get a bit luckier with getting blue summons at lower levels is almost entirely that a larger portion of players will have limited covenant options, so more people will have Way of Blue still on. If you rock a very low level blue build be prepared for dealing with more of the uber twink invaders in High Wall/Undead Settlement, otherwise I'd recommend doing something from SL30+3 to like SL45+4.

Harrow posted:

I was getting summoned a ton with Blue Sentinels on a couple days ago, around SL 30-40, so that range was definitely active.

Back when the game was new, I got summoned a lot in Irithyll as a Darkmoon, too, but I remember a ton of people never getting summoned at all. Really not sure why it worked so consistently for me. I'll try using Blue Sentinels in Irithyll today since I just got there on this playthrough and see if it still works I guess.

Yeah SL50-60 +6 is still like the Irithyll hotspot range and outside of meta, probably the most naturally active range for PvP. It can be good to do this range as a Blue because killing an Aldritch gets you the double ear item you can redeem for 2 - although you do not get summoned to a world if only an Aldritch/Watchdog has invaded, a red or purple has to have invaded first for you to be auto-summoned.

You'd still might notice fewer auto-summons at the range though, just because you are still reliant on Hosts there wearing Way of Blue and you're still competing with lots of people queued up to be blues.

Max Wilco posted:

Something else I read also said that it was more prominent at lower levels. Of course, I'm around Level 70 or so now (don't remember exactly, don't have time to check right now), and I don't think there's any way for me to drop my level to do that. It sounds like you'd have to do a low-level run up all the way to Anor Londo, which sounds like it would be hard to do. Plus, since my aim is to get the covenant rewards to get all the spells, I'd have to start from scratch again if I did that.

I dunno. I guess I can stay Darkmoon and hang around Anor Londo, grinding Silver Knights and waiting to get matched. That's sort of what I was doing last night, though I didn't get a single Concord drop in the five-or-six rounds that I did. I think you need an absurdly high luck level for it drop somewhat reliably.

Awful as it sounds, I wish the game had a item dupe trick like in Demon's Souls Classic. Then again, I imagine doing that would get you banned.

EDIT: I suppose I could hit up the SA FromSoft Discord and see if anybody's willing to share a password to help out with that.

Covenant items can't be dropped, and passwords don't work for blue matchmaking. Only way to get Proofs is by auto-summons, farming, or cheating them in.

SL70 should be okay actually for the Irithyll/Gank City range since the blue range is very generous, what might matter more is your weapon level (or more accurately, the highest upgraded level equip your character has ever held, boss/special weapons that only go to +5 count as double). Even +8 could be acceptable though since that can match down to +6.

It's still an awful wait. At best during even peak hours you are lucky to get 1-3 summons an hour I'd say, and it's pretty random.

Max Wilco posted:

Someone actually said that in one of the replies. It did make me wonder if there was a way to view the current item drop values in something like Cheat Engine in order to determine how likely it was to drop, without actually editing anything. Like, yeah, it's based off a dice roll, but I wish there was a way to see how close you are to actually getting it.

It's still a poo poo drop rate and a mind-numbing farm, even with all the item stacking stuff (offhand crystal sage rapier, Mimic's head, Covetous gold Ring +3, and crushing rusted/gold coins). I don't think anyone's managed to truly figure out the drop rate, but with all item discovery stuff I believe I averaged 2-3 an hour for the few that I needed to farm. I also did the quit out of the game thing every time I got one, although I am unclear if that actually helped or not.

Honestly though, if you are just doing it for Darkmoon Blade and the trophy, just go grab the Honest Merchant mod now and bypass the need to get proofs entirely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

Honestly though, if you are just doing it for Darkmoon Blade and the trophy, just go grab the Honest Merchant mod now and bypass the need to get proofs entirely.

How do mods like this work with online play? I assume I can't play online with a mod installed, but would it work to use the mod offline, then uninstall it before going online again? Or is that risking a ban too?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can use Honest Merchant online no problem. You can also spawn in items with cheat engine or drop items and transmute them into other items no problem, as long as the items are not impossible items(like unreachable upgrade levels or impossible infusions) or progression items. souls games have very minimal anticheat

also anyone who plays on PC and invades should use wex dust. lets you get invasions much faster and in more varied areas than you would normally find invasions in, since you wouldn't normally search areas that have a low chance to have people since it would be a waste of your time-but it searches everywhere at once, with the other matchmaking restrictions that there normally would be(level/weapon level, more chance of groups, priority to dried finger hosts)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 10, 2020

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Harrow posted:

How do mods like this work with online play? I assume I can't play online with a mod installed, but would it work to use the mod offline, then uninstall it before going online again? Or is that risking a ban too?

Anything gameplay changing mod will most likely get your account banned to the cheaters server eventually - especially the big overhaul stuff like Cinders, Champion's Ashes, etc.

You technically use any mod at your own risk.

But several are known to be completely safe, and have been used regularly by many people for long periods of time. Wex dust is safe, PVP Watchdog or PyreProtecc are safe, Souls Unsqueezed is safe (only the older version v0.4.0 though).

Honest Merchant has been out since July, and just enables you to buy any item in the game for 1 soul apiece. There are no substantiated examples of people being banned for using it, I used it to make a build or two with no issues while connected online a few months ago. If you are very unsure and want to minimize risk, just install it while your game is only in offline mode, get the bits you need, quit out, and simply uninstall the mod files before going back online. Your character will still have all the items you acquired through the mod, and none of them will flag you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay this Honest Merchant mod sounds fantastic. I'm up to about 10 concords just from Blue summons but I'm starting to find it less fun to chase down invaders in Irithyll so I have no issue just buying myself a Darkmoon Blade spell and calling it a day. I'll probably still keep the Darkmoon covenant on pretty often because it's fun every once in a while but it'll be nice to not have to worry about proofs while I'm doing it.

Also I feel less guilty about "cheating" because I got Darkmoon Blade on my old character back in 2016 and I could just play him if I hadn't lost my save so :v:

Side note: I haven't played this since 2016 and have posted plenty about my lingering negative feelings about the game from then. But I'm so glad I came back for another try. Playing this concurrently with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 really highlights the things each game does well, and I'm finding Dark Souls 3 really refreshing in a lot of ways. I remember finding the abundance of aggressive, high-poise enemies annoying/exhausting the first time I played through but I'm having much more fun fighting them this time. I also just really like what DS3 does with the lore of the Dark Souls series and I think it makes for a really satisfying conclusion, which is something I liked back in 2016, too, but it's really nice to experience it again. This is a real good game.

I never got around to playing the DLC before so I'm excited to play the last Dark Souls content I've never played before.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Logan 5 posted:

Covenant items can't be dropped, and passwords don't work for blue matchmaking. Only way to get Proofs is by auto-summons, farming, or cheating them in.

SL70 should be okay actually for the Irithyll/Gank City range since the blue range is very generous, what might matter more is your weapon level (or more accurately, the highest upgraded level equip your character has ever held, boss/special weapons that only go to +5 count as double). Even +8 could be acceptable though since that can match down to +6.

It's still an awful wait. At best during even peak hours you are lucky to get 1-3 summons an hour I'd say, and it's pretty random.

It's still a poo poo drop rate and a mind-numbing farm, even with all the item stacking stuff (offhand crystal sage rapier, Mimic's head, Covetous gold Ring +3, and crushing rusted/gold coins). I don't think anyone's managed to truly figure out the drop rate, but with all item discovery stuff I believe I averaged 2-3 an hour for the few that I needed to farm. I also did the quit out of the game thing every time I got one, although I am unclear if that actually helped or not.

Honest Merchant sounds like the ticket, and knowing that it won't get you banned for using it makes it even better. I'm probably going to wait until I get through the rest of the game and DLC before I install it, though.

Harrow posted:

Side note: I haven't played this since 2016 and have posted plenty about my lingering negative feelings about the game from then. But I'm so glad I came back for another try. Playing this concurrently with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 really highlights the things each game does well, and I'm finding Dark Souls 3 really refreshing in a lot of ways. I remember finding the abundance of aggressive, high-poise enemies annoying/exhausting the first time I played through but I'm having much more fun fighting them this time. I also just really like what DS3 does with the lore of the Dark Souls series and I think it makes for a really satisfying conclusion, which is something I liked back in 2016, too, but it's really nice to experience it again. This is a real good game.

I never got around to playing the DLC before so I'm excited to play the last Dark Souls content I've never played before.

I was planning on going back to Dark Souls 1 (technically DS: Remastered) after finishing DS3, because I'd also like to get all the trophies for it. Plus, the first time I played it, I never did the Artorias of the Abyss DLC stuff, or visited the Painted World.

I actually booted up Demon's Souls Classic to fight False King Allant again on NG+. With DesSouls, I admit I used the item duping trick to get the platinum for it. It was still tough because I had to beat a lot of the bosses again because I I already used some of the boss souls in NG (not to mention a share of other quirks with DesSouls). Even though I just picked it up again briefly, you can really tell how rough it is compared to DS3. DS3 (compared to the other Soulsborne games I've played) honestly seems pretty lenient, especially in terms of bonfires. There have been a few times playing DS3 where I found a bonfire and went, "Didn't I just find a bonfire like two minutes ago?" I actually completely missed the one in Crucifixion Woods, so every time I went to fight Crystal Sage, I started from the Halfway Fortress.

-

I fought Dancer of the Boreale Valley last night with co-op help, and then I put down summons signs to help a few people. I have to say that out of all the bosses I've fought so far, it's the one that feels pretty difficult. Granted with one or two summons, it takes some heat off, but the Dancer seems to tank damage pretty well (at least with the unbuffed +6 Claymore), and that multiple-spin attack is nerve-wracking when you're trying to dodge away or through it. The most frustrating thing was that I'd try to get a hit in, but whiff it, because I'd come short of one of the legs.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 10, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dodging the spin attack is likely to fail. Better to just run far away and then run back in to get a few hits as she pauses after spinning out.

Dancer is one of the few bosses I don’t recommend summoning for. You can make it work of course, but unlike a lot of bosses, she can easily hit multiple players at once with her sweeping attacks, and the extra health means that you have to hold out for longer against her dangerous second phase. Lag can also cause some fairly goofy things to happen against her, case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EYThhbRww

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

skasion posted:

Dodging the spin attack is likely to fail. Better to just run far away and then run back in to get a few hits as she pauses after spinning out.

Dancer is one of the few bosses I don’t recommend summoning for. You can make it work of course, but unlike a lot of bosses, she can easily hit multiple players at once with her sweeping attacks, and the extra health means that you have to hold out for longer against her dangerous second phase. Lag can also cause some fairly goofy things to happen against her, case in point:

Oh yeah, I forgot that bosses get a buff with summons.

Something I thought I'd share: a Steam guide covering the best weapon infusions. One of the more interesting comments I found in was in the section covering shields, saying that the Lothric Knight Shield with a Lightning Infusion works well against the Nameless King. I've not gotten to that point yet, but I got the impression Nameless King was one of the more difficult bosses.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Max Wilco posted:

Lothric Knight Shield with a Lightning Infusion works well against the Nameless King. I've not gotten to that point yet, but I got the impression Nameless King was one of the more difficult bosses.
He is and I friggin' hate him. Cool arena though.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

oh god the homing grenade skeletons in the catacombs :frogsiren:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I've not gotten to that point yet, but I got the impression Nameless King was one of the more difficult bosses.

He was by far the hardest fight my first time through the game. Not sure how he stacks up to the DLC end bosses, but in the base game, he's definitely one of the hardest fights.

Cool as hell, though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

skasion posted:

Hell no, dodge the spin attack! Miyazaki gave us the fastest, most spammable roll in a Souls game, and IIRC only Pontiff and Dancer actually require you to dodge more than twice in a row. Play the rhythm game, it's fun.
Honorable mention: NK seems to have perfect timing to catch panic rolls.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Logan 5 posted:

goin back a page or two to blue chat -

Kind of correct conclusion, just the wrong reasoning though. You can't be invaded or even co-op in the Road of Sacrifices, there is just no multiplayer in that section. It doesn't start again until you get into the Halfway fortress bonfire and the PvP hotspot that is Watchdogs in the Crux Woods after that (~SL20+2 to SL30+2).

The reason you get tend to get a bit luckier with getting blue summons at lower levels is almost entirely that a larger portion of players will have limited covenant options, so more people will have Way of Blue still on. If you rock a very low level blue build be prepared for dealing with more of the uber twink invaders in High Wall/Undead Settlement, otherwise I'd recommend doing something from SL30+3 to like SL45+4.

You're right but I was accidentally referring to the whole swampy lake area as the road of sacrifices. Even with the wolf boys invading I got significantly less hits there than in undead settlement from any type of invader.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

for a first playthrough whats a good point to stop leveling your damage stat? was thinking of stopping at 30 like i did in ds1. i started out leveling str and dex equally to meet equipment requirements but leaning more towards dex now. also can i stick sharp on a str weapon like the mace and have it scale with dex instead?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

for a first playthrough whats a good point to stop leveling your damage stat? was thinking of stopping at 30 like i did in ds1. i started out leveling str and dex equally to meet equipment requirements but leaning more towards dex now. also can i stick sharp on a str weapon like the mace and have it scale with dex instead?

40 for STR or DEX, 60 for INT or FTH.

You can make a sharp mace, it may or may not have better damage that way depending on your build. The physical infusions in this game have been fiddled with in a couple of different patches and can yield kind of eccentric results.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

Damage stats hit their first soft cap at 40 so if you can go to that, it's usually worth it.

You can indeed use a Sharp Gem on a Mace and have it scale more with Dexterity, but it's worth noting that not all weapons are equally good with each infusion. The basic Mace, for example, only gets B Dexterity scaling at Sharp +10, which isn't great for a +10 Sharp weapon.

I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast rule, but I think a good general guideline is that if a weapon strongly leans towards one stat or the other before it's infused, using the other stat's infusion gem on it will only be okay, and it's better to lean into the direction it's already going if you really want to make it shine. A weapon that already skews towards Dexterity can really shine if it's Sharp, while something that's already big on Strength scaling does best when it's Heavy, that kind of thing. But if you have a pure Dex build and you really, really want to use a Mace on that build, then infusing it with a Sharp Gem will probably be better than just leaving it default, if nothing else.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

You can stick a Sharp Gem on a Mace (which I find funny), but the Mace actually gets really good scaling from having a Refined Gem. A Sharp Gem gives the Mace D/B in scaling (STR/DEX respectively), a Heavy Gem gives an A/- (removes DEX scaling), but Refined gives it B/B scaling. With 40 in both STR and DEX, it does 454 in Physical Damage.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

thanks! i ended up putting sharp on my spear because ive been using it for most of the game along with the cool irithyll sword i got from sniping that ice guy to death with arrows like a coward.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

thanks! i ended up putting sharp on my spear because ive been using it for most of the game along with the cool irithyll sword i got from sniping that ice guy to death with arrows like a coward.

That Irithyll outrider is honestly more difficult than many bosses for some builds, especially the first time you face him.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Gully Foyle posted:

That Irithyll outrider is honestly more difficult than many bosses for some builds, especially the first time you face him.

ive finished ds1 and bloodborne and i dont think ive ever faced an enemy in a souls game that clowned on me as hard as that guy did.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You mean the cat on the bridge straight out of Attack of the Clones?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

You mean the cat on the bridge straight out of Attack of the Clones?

Naw, the frost dude on the bottom of the tower when you go to Road of Sacrifices.
I definitely feel like the windows to attack or heal are shorter for him than for any other enemy type in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This fucker has so little windows, he runs on macOS

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The columns in the room can prevent it from closing the gap and getting back on top of you immediately, so I ran around those when I needed to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dancer's Spin2Win goes in a fixed direction and doesn't follow you. Dodge into it and then try to get past her. Alternatively delay your rolls slightly because there's a rhythm to her spin and if you hammer your dodge button she'll start roll catching you.