Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Catalina posted:

When searching the internet for a solution, there was all sorts of terrible advice, like to blow a hot hair dryer for 10 minutes, or even to put a wet PC part in the oven on the lowest setting.

sebmojo posted:

You could put it in a warm (50 degrees c) oven to dry it out for an hour or so, I wouldn't think that would hurt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GCKFZXS/

How good is Teamgroup?

$180 for 2tb 2.5" SSD sounds like a deal

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh, I missed that. :blush: Well, the lowest setting on my oven is 150°F, so...

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How good is Teamgroup?

You can spend another :10bux: and get a Crucial MX500, so it's not really that much of a deal.

It's probably fine, though.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Catalina posted:

Oh, I missed that. :blush: Well, the lowest setting on my oven is 150°F, so...

... so you should throw it in the microwave instead!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Are Western Digital Blues still the go-to for platter drives? My old games-and-poo poo drive started throwing errors yesterday, and I need a replacement.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Helter Skelter posted:

I've been keeping an eye on the ATR stock notifications while hunting for a 3070 (which I finally managed to order the other day). The 5900x and 5950x seem have the least frequent drops, followed by the 5600x. The 5800x actually seems to be getting the most frequent stock notifications, and is incidentally also the only one that seems to ever have any active third party listings on amazon.

Kinda getting the feeling that AMD's just pumping out the 5800x in (relative) quantity to make that sweet margin while they can.

The fab output quality might just be good enough that they are binning a lot more intact 8-core CCXs used in the 5800x versus the 6-out-of-8-core CCXs used in the 5600x and the 5900x

And yeah it is definitely higher margin

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bieeanshee posted:

Are Western Digital Blues still the go-to for platter drives? My old games-and-poo poo drive started throwing errors yesterday, and I need a replacement.

You can get a 1TB SSD for $100. Is there a reason you need a HDD?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

You can get a 1TB SSD for $100. Is there a reason you need a HDD?

It's a 2TB drive I'm replacing, it's already half full, and I'm really not going to be seeing much performance benefit from a SSD.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

It's a 2TB drive I'm replacing, it's already half full, and I'm really not going to be seeing much performance benefit from a SSD.

If it’s for gaming a solid-state drive absolutely dramatically improves how fast everything loads.

Depending on what game you play that might not be very often or it could be every loving time you enter a door.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HDD to SSD is the most significant upgrade to PCs in a long time. Up there with going from single core to dual core.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bieeanshee posted:

This is almost literally never true lmao, SSDs are basically magic vs a HDD

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Just answer my question, please.

I have two SSDs in the machine.

This is a data drive.

Stop loving second guessing me already.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 10, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bieeanshee posted:

Sometimes answering technical questions involves a question. Sorry if that bothers you.

Buy whatever HDD you want. Go wild. WD Blue will treat you great. Enjoy.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

This is a data drive.

There is no "go to platter" if we are just talking a basic 2 TB spinning disk. They are all very similar and slow.

Just buy the size you need if speed is not part of the equation.

Get a green disk if its just for holding old data.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It was crazy how much putting an SSD in changed things when it came to basic computing, and its kind of wild to think that only now is this something that games consoles are incorporating. I hope this means games going forward are finally going to make better use of SSDs - I'm sure the things we're hearing about load times being non-existant on PS5 should be technically possible on a PC, right?

I think the only "I didn't expect how much this would change things" upgrade for me has been going to a 144hz monitor. Even moving the mouse feels amazing.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Sometimes answering technical questions involves a question. Sorry if that bothers you.

Buy whatever HDD you want. Go wild. WD Blue will treat you great. Enjoy.

exactly

If someone comes in here and wants to know the fastest core 2 quad they can buy I'm not going to "just answer the question."

I'm going to try to catch them up to speed.

The reason no one here knows anything about spinning disks is that they are all hot piles of trash compared to even a poo poo SSD unless you must hold like 8 TB of data in small space.

On top of that SSDs went from luxury cost to weirdly affordable over the last 10 years.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

It was crazy how much putting an SSD in changed things when it came to basic computing, and its kind of wild to think that only now is this something that games consoles are incorporating. I hope this means games going forward are finally going to make better use of SSDs - I'm sure the things we're hearing about load times being non-existant on PS5 should be technically possible on a PC, right?

I think the only "I didn't expect how much this would change things" upgrade for me has been going to a 144hz monitor. Even moving the mouse feels amazing.

I shared both of those but there was one other: When I took my 2.4ghz core2duo to 3.6ghz and booted windows. (50% overclock)

Even on a spinning platter it was way way faster to boot lol

I totally agree that having a 144hz display makes me even want to do teacher work on it vs the 60hz next to it. The windows move so smooth!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bieeanshee posted:

This is a data drive.

Weird attitude to have when you’re asking for free help from people who don’t owe you poo poo. Especially when you said you wanted it for games and buying a HDD for games is stupid as hell.

Buy anything that’s cheap from a brand you recognize. Doesn’t matter much other wise.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I asked about platter drives, you butthurt cretins.

The first question was valid.

The circlejerking was not.

Now toddle off and go gently caress yourselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

I asked about platter drives, you butthurt cretins.

The first question was valid.

The circlejerking was not.

Now toddle off and go gently caress yourselves.

I am not going to leave the thread, you gently caress off sir.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

WD Raptor drives imo

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

taqueso posted:

WD Raptor drives imo

I removed mine from my system last year lol. I had a 250ghg one for my OS way back when they came out. Then it became a game disk. Then just a extra space disk.

I spent so much on it back in the day I cant throw it out! It also faster* then a regular disk! 10,000 RPMS!

Its its now in drawer. I still cant throw it out. I have a problem.

*it hasn't been the fastest anything for a long time

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Mine is even a lil 74G one, but it's special. Can't just throw it out but also no one wants it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

spunkshui posted:

I removed mine from my system last year lol. I had a 250ghg one for my OS way back when they came out. Then it became a game disk. Then just a extra space disk.

I spent so much on it back in the day I cant throw it out! It also faster* then a regular disk! 10,000 RPMS!

*it hasn't been the fastest anything for a long time

If it isn't about to die or something I would take it, seriously

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I went through this with my build. The thread will almost never recommend platter drives, because the thread oeuvre is ~Performance Per Dollar~ and you can get orders of magnitude more performance from a basic SSD than from a platter.

So, if you have less than 4TB of data on your machine, the consensus will always be to go with an SSD, or preferably an NVMe drive. If you have more than 4TB of data, then the thread is going to tell you that anything important should be backed up in multiple locations, making the platter drive irrelvant.

If, like me, you want local access to large media files in addition to the backups, then you may be able to squeeze out a recommendation for a WD Gold or Blue drive, but I can't imagine anything tell someone to spend actual dollars on a :airquote: performance :airquote: platter drive.

This gold drive is the one that I use. I really wouldn't suggest getting a platter smaller than 4TB, as you could get a much better SSD below that size.

taqueso posted:

WD Raptor drives imo

In days of old,
When goons were bold,
And SSDs weren't invented,
We arrayed our drives,
To speed our lives,
And data loss was never prevented...

taqueso posted:

Mine is even a lil 74G one, but it's special. Can't just throw it out but also no one wants it.

The 74GB Raptor was the end-all-be-all of drives for years! It's a museum piece!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Farecoal posted:

If it isn't about to die or something I would take it, seriously

Its literally from 2009 lol

Oh god people are still buying it!

“On that note, defragments nearly instantly, you'd swear it was an SSD even with my motherboard's technology capping it's potential.
- Fits right in the bay it was designed for, no struggle.
- For gaming, it even helps the games FPS improve a little. At least stability and load times have increased quite a bit, definitely recommend this for gaming.
- Will make a great Windows OS hard drive.”

-2018 review

:ohdear:

Edit: this thing is literally slower than current 7200 RPM drives. 10 years is a long time for tech.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 10, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

drives just don't make noise like that anymore though

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For movies and music n crap the speed of a platter drive doesn't really matter, they're fine for media / file storage; for games and other applications SSDs are very much the way to go.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How good is Teamgroup?

Getting a NVME drive like Muskin Pilot-e or Crucial P1/P2 would be 3-5x as fast in benchmarks with slight but noticeable difference in things like lightroom or running software that uses a database on disk. For gaming there would be no real difference except in load and install times between sata and nvme. If your motherboard supports nvme I would consider that.

But the Team group drive has trim, with the larger capacity drives it doesn't really matter if it has dram. It's a good price for what it is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just want to remind everyone that if you have a 144hz monitor, you probably won't be able to utilize the enhanced refresh rate with an HDMI cable.

I've had a 144 monitor for a long time and was certain I set it up correctly but nope. Gotta grab a Display Port cable and monkey around with some settings.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Inzombiac posted:

I just want to remind everyone that if you have a 144hz monitor, you probably won't be able to utilize the enhanced refresh rate with an HDMI cable.

I've had a 144 monitor for a long time and was certain I set it up correctly but nope. Gotta grab a Display Port cable and monkey around with some settings.

actually good to know, thanks!

edit: ah my cable is the good one (by accident). still good to know.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you want hard drive recs, this thread will actually have them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
What Motherboard do you lucky fuckers who've been able to get an AMD Zen3 like? I've not paid much attention to PC hardware for a few years and am trying to get back up to speed for a desktop build I'm hoping to shoot for in January. I know the B550 and X570s may require firmware flashing an such before they work with the new processors. I'd guess that any B550 or X570 you buy now will more or less work out of the box with limited hassle?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a B550-M and it didn't need much work to use with a Ryzen 7.
It was mostly me having to learn new terms since I hadn't build anything in many years.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DeathSandwich posted:

What Motherboard do you lucky fuckers who've been able to get an AMD Zen3 like? I've not paid much attention to PC hardware for a few years and am trying to get back up to speed for a desktop build I'm hoping to shoot for in January. I know the B550 and X570s may require firmware flashing an such before they work with the new processors. I'd guess that any B550 or X570 you buy now will more or less work out of the box with limited hassle?

They all probably need a BIOS flash to use Zen 3, but a bunch of them have a piss-easy way to do it now without a CPU where you just connect the PSU, stick a USB stick with the BIOS file in a slot labeled BIOS and then press a button.

Like just about every B550 board comes with it (called BIOS Flashback or Q Flash Plus) standard.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Very happy with my Asus Strix X570-I, thankful for the IO when I need to connect 5 devices to my machine in addition to the KB+M, headset, webcam, etc.

Was able to grab a second one for my partner last week that had a "AMD RYZEN 5000X DESKTOP READY" sticker on it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I copped out and ended up getting a budget 1440p 75hz screen, and wow, even Hearthstone is much smoother with those 15 extra frames.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Newegg updated its combo return policy today and on some combo deals all items need to be returned for a refund. It's apparently active on all 3000 series gpus. So be careful when buying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ShowTime posted:

Newegg updated its combo return policy today and on some combo deals all items need to be returned for a refund. It's apparently active on all 3000 series gpus. So be careful when buying!

Wow, looks like I got in just under the wire then. Enjoy your Oloy RAM, shipping department!