Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

indigi posted:

can you try one of those lamp alarms that slowly gets brighter over half an hour?

I've had one for years and I still appreciate it. Waking up softly is a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Another day, another "thanks for applying, go gently caress yourself because you don't have a college degree and credentialism is the path, the way, and the light" email.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I got hit with a psychosis diagnosis, can’t really complain about anything now that I have semi-regular therapy and medicine, and I really hope the best to all goons sitewide forever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

drjuggalo posted:

I got hit with a psychosis diagnosis, can’t really complain about anything now that I have semi-regular therapy and medicine, and I really hope the best to all goons sitewide forever

hell yeah

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

drjuggalo posted:

Good luck on your journey, sorry about your brain :(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
stay safe juggalo ghost.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gods_Butthole posted:

Good luck on your journey, sorry about your brain :(

uber_stoat posted:

stay safe juggalo ghost.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

i got a psychosis diagnosis about a year ago. took six weeks of awful meds and then felt better and got off them. been in weekly therapy and practicing mindfulness since then and felt okay, cautiously optimistic i won't have another episode. your journey may be different but don't feel like you're screwed forever.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I’m honestly pretty zen’d out right now. gonna try going to Africa for a vacation this summer but other than that it is what it is. for real though shoutouts to C-SPAM this place made me a leftist and a half

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drjuggalo posted:

I’m honestly pretty zen’d out right now. gonna try going to Africa for a vacation this summer but other than that it is what it is. for real though shoutouts to C-SPAM this place made me a leftist and a half

what part?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

indigi posted:

what part?

the regional threads and actively making GBS threads on liberalism

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

drjuggalo posted:

i read the question as which part of africa and am also interested in hearing your africa trip plans (to steal them for myself, later)

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Somalia lol, my bad. visit some family and then pay some nomads and try to fish or herd camel for a month away from civilization is my current plan

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

drjuggalo posted:

Somalia lol, my bad. visit some family and then pay some nomads and try to fish or herd camel for a month away from civilization is my current plan

That sounds cool, I hope you enjoy it :keke:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

i got a psychosis diagnosis about a year ago. took six weeks of awful meds and then felt better and got off them. been in weekly therapy and practicing mindfulness since then and felt okay, cautiously optimistic i won't have another episode. your journey may be different but don't feel like you're screwed forever.

As someone with OCD, mindfulness has been unbelievably helpful to me in noticing when I'm losing control and helping me steer back towards stability in a way that medication was never able to. I cannot recommend it enough.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
At first, mindfulness felt like a mean trick my therapist was playing on me because I thought it was supposed to be like a 30 minute meditation session. That's really hard to do!

After she helped me understand it, it's become a tool I lean on almost daily when I start to get overwhelmed. The learn curve was pretty tough for me, admittedly, but once you figure out what works it's pretty great.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

drjuggalo posted:

Maybe this is :thejoke: but I'm pretty sure they meant which part of Africa :v:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The past isn't feeling any better but the present is more tolerable. This has taken 3 months of drugs and therapy and I'm still far from fine.

Keep trying

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

not exactly mental health but I finally got my sleep study results back and I have sleep apnea like a mother fucker.

I feel very validated and hope good sleep is within my grasp. apparently I was having 91 apnea events per hour which seems loving bad.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Consummate Professional posted:

not exactly mental health but I finally got my sleep study results back and I have sleep apnea like a mother fucker.

I feel very validated and hope good sleep is within my grasp. apparently I was having 91 apnea events per hour which seems loving bad.

drat, I thought my 57 events an hour was bad. A cpap machine will make your life and sleep exceptionally better.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I really hope so. at this point the only way I think my sleep could be worse is if I was back in Afghanistan.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

Yes, that ... is sub optimal.

I'm trying to get back to using mine. It's really difficult because I have nocturia and when I feel the need to get up and down I instead feel strapped to the bed. Not great!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m glad CPAP machines are a miracle for some people, but mine hasn’t changed my life even a little bit. I feel just as fatigued as I did before I got it when I was having 30+ apnea events per hour. I still use it every night hoping it’s having other health benefits for me, but I’ve felt no change in my perceived level of tiredness :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

indigi posted:

I’m glad CPAP machines are a miracle for some people, but mine hasn’t changed my life even a little bit. I feel just as fatigued as I did before I got it when I was having 30+ apnea events per hour. I still use it every night hoping it’s having other health benefits for me, but I’ve felt no change in my perceived level of tiredness :(

Is your air pressure set right? I had the same problem, and it turned out I needed to have the level cranked up. Might be worth talking to your doctor about.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Merry Christmas, y'all. We just might make it out of Hell Year.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

how do you go about getting a sleep test? i've never had a doctor even remotely mention anything like that, it's just been low level sleeping pills that aren't really that useful

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CODChimera posted:

how do you go about getting a sleep test? i've never had a doctor even remotely mention anything like that, it's just been low level sleeping pills that aren't really that useful

For me it was just a referral from my general practitioner. But in some cases they are run by ENTs or pulmonologists, it just depends on what your local doctors do.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

CODChimera posted:

i just saw my doctor and told him i wanted to do a sleep study because i feel tired during the day and i don't feel like i'm sleeping well and he made a referral to the sleep medicine dept

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hey man, it's Christmas.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Dongicus posted:

Hey man, it's Christmas.

merry Christmas

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Reposting from E/N, about my sibling who is still on opiates for "pain" and got off anti-psychotic medications.

I have a sibling who is both profoundly smart and intensely delusional. They have been off psychiatric medications since last year, tried to get off opiates, and just went through a divorce. They have basically been dependent on my parents for their entire life, and was essentially codependent with our mother who was basically their caregiver/caretaker since forever, always validating every single thing they said and believed, agreeing with them every step of the way, because talking to this person is like walking on broken glass.

They no longer believe themself to be ill, referring to their ailment as a result of "trauma" rather than psychosis. They believe they were falsely diagnosed with schizophrenia. After they went off their meds, they started to rave about how they weren't safe out in the open, how there were basically white supremacists around every corner, and related multiple unrealistic incidents that happened to them. They also brought up "traumatic" incidents involving our parents which have varying degrees of plausibility, all of which contribute to their inability to reconcile with them. Moreover, they quitting therapy, bashing doctors, and even firing their caretakers.

They are now 100% convinced that they are "free" of all outside influences and that the world is responsible for their inability to take care of themself. They both want constant outside assistance from their family but also shun it. Suggestions in the direction of therapy are met with hostility, and they insist that it is our parents, not them, who need it.

There are just so many layers upon layers of denial about how much they need psychiatric help, whether it's quitting opiates or going back on anti-psychotic medication. This is why they have entered into the rabbit hole of internet trauma discourse and self-diagnosis.

I'm at the stage where I'm considering staging an intervention with their ex-partner (who they are still close to) and best friend. I have already talked to them about it. My fear is that it's a sink or swim kind of deal as they have attempted suicide in the past. I worry that such a decision would alienate them even further from everyone in their life, but on the other hand maybe they need to hear it from the people who they love and trust the most. The status quo right now is unsustainable as gently caress because they are backsliding right now, but I feel like the alternative could easily backfire. I have also worried that this person might have symptoms of Borderline/Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I'm just at a loving loss and our parents are too old and dealing with too many health problems to have any energy or drive to do anything.

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 09:13 on Dec 27, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Reposting from E/N, about my sibling who is still on opiates for "pain" and got off anti-psychotic medications.

I have a sibling who is both profoundly smart and intensely delusional. They have been off psychiatric medications since last year, tried to get off opiates, and just went through a divorce. They have basically been dependent on my parents for their entire life, and was essentially codependent with our mother who was basically their caregiver/caretaker since forever, always validating every single thing they said and believed, agreeing with them every step of the way, because talking to this person is like walking on broken glass.

They no longer believe themself to be ill, referring to their ailment as a result of "trauma" rather than psychosis. They believe they were falsely diagnosed with schizophrenia. After they went off their meds, they started to rave about how they weren't safe out in the open, how there were basically white supremacists around every corner, and related multiple unrealistic incidents that happened to them. They also brought up "traumatic" incidents involving our parents which have varying degrees of plausibility, all of which contribute to their inability to reconcile with them. Moreover, they quitting therapy, bashing doctors, and even firing their caretakers.

They are now 100% convinced that they are "free" of all outside influences and that the world is responsible for their inability to take care of themself. They both want constant outside assistance from their family but also shun it. Suggestions in the direction of therapy are met with hostility, and they insist that it is our parents, not them, who need it.

There are just so many layers upon layers of denial about how much they need psychiatric help, whether it's quitting opiates or going back on anti-psychotic medication. This is why they have entered into the rabbit hole of internet trauma discourse and self-diagnosis.

I'm at the stage where I'm considering staging an intervention with their ex-partner (who they are still close to) and best friend. I have already talked to them about it. My fear is that it's a sink or swim kind of deal as they have attempted suicide in the past. I worry that such a decision would alienate them even further from everyone in their life, but on the other hand maybe they need to hear it from the people who they love and trust the most. The status quo right now is unsustainable as gently caress because they are backsliding right now, but I feel like the alternative could easily backfire. I have also worried that this person might have symptoms of Borderline/Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I'm just at a loving loss and our parents are too old and dealing with too many health problems to have any energy or drive to do anything.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if they're not willing to get help. Unless they're an immediate danger to themselves or others, you can't (and extremely well shouldn't) put them on involuntary.

I like the idea of an intervention, and if you can get through to them, you might want to nudge them towards DBT. It's made specifically for treatment resistant things like BPD where the patient often abandons therapy. More than anything else, though, they need a p-doc. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that, but still.

Like I said, though, they have to do the work. If they won't... :smith:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if they're not willing to get help. Unless they're an immediate danger to themselves or others, you can't (and extremely well shouldn't) put them on involuntary.

I like the idea of an intervention, and if you can get through to them, you might want to nudge them towards DBT. It's made specifically for treatment resistant things like BPD where the patient often abandons therapy. More than anything else, though, they need a p-doc. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that, but still.

Like I said, though, they have to do the work. If they won't... :smith:

One of the hardest parts of mental health is watching someone else fall and not being able to help them.

I spent some time in inpatient treatment, and one of the senior staff members there had a mantra "You can't save them all".

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Yossarian-22 posted:

1) My alarm bells are tingling.
2) I think your sibling is probably right in a few areas. The way you minimize their trauma makes me think it's a part of the family doctrine.
3) I doubt an intervention is a good idea but maybe.
4) I empathize with you being stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they have attempted suicide before your window of options narrows.
5) If they don't want to change you can't force them to change.
6) Imo FAMILY therapy with the 4 of you sounds like it would be one of the more effective and lasting options but I'm guessing there will be a lot of push back from your parents there. What do you think they would say to that idea?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

"2) I think your sibling is probably right in a few areas. The way you minimize their trauma makes me think it's a part of the family doctrine."

My sibling refers to just about everything in terms of trauma: the trauma of COVID, the trauma of living in an imperialist state, the trauma of the Trump "dictatorship," the trauma of our father not liking the music they like and thinking that some of it was harmful (he had a weird cultural conservative streak back then), the trauma of somebody making a joke that they misinterpreted. They also refer to everything as "abuse" even if it's something like my parents paying her rent (financial "abuse") or reminding me to pay my healthcare bills which they help me pay (also "financial abuse"). An intervention might in fact be interpreted as such an "abuse." They believe themself to be traumatized on behalf of the entire world and have an enormous martyr complex. They believe themself to be infallible and do not take criticism very well, continually berating my parents for saying things that even slightly differ from their interpretations of things. They also do not allow other people to get a word in edgewise.

Again, that's not to say there's nothing there and the fact that talking to them is emotionally exhausting doesn't mean I discount their pain or the very real traumas they have gone through, some of which my parents might absolutely be at fault for. But this only started happening after they got off their anti-psychotic medication. Delusions affect both present thoughts and memories. They accuse me of things I haven't done and believe that Proud Boys roam the streets at every corner. This is entirely different from the past 10-12 years of them being on medication.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cpt_Obvious posted:

One of the hardest parts of mental health is watching someone else fall and not being able to help them.

I spent some time in inpatient treatment, and one of the senior staff members there had a mantra "You can't save them all".

Yep. It is the worst thing I experienced in my life. Spent three years watching my younger sister go from having a great job she loved to living on the streets and dying from a heroin overdose.

We tried everything for her, drug court, rehab, detox attempts, inpatient psych. Nothing worked. Her BPD + addiction made it all impossible. I hope she is at peace.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Yossarian-22 posted:

"2) I think your sibling is probably right in a few areas. The way you minimize their trauma makes me think it's a part of the family doctrine."

My sibling refers to just about everything in terms of trauma: the trauma of COVID, the trauma of living in an imperialist state, the trauma of the Trump "dictatorship," the trauma of our father not liking the music they like and thinking that some of it was harmful (he had a weird cultural conservative streak back then), the trauma of somebody making a joke that they misinterpreted. They also refer to everything as "abuse" even if it's something like my parents paying her rent (financial "abuse") or reminding me to pay my healthcare bills which they help me pay (also "financial abuse"). An intervention might in fact be interpreted as such an "abuse." They believe themself to be traumatized on behalf of the entire world and have an enormous martyr complex. They believe themself to be infallible and do not take criticism very well, continually berating my parents for saying things that even slightly differ from their interpretations of things. They also do not allow other people to get a word in edgewise.

Again, that's not to say there's nothing there and the fact that talking to them is emotionally exhausting doesn't mean I discount their pain or the very real traumas they have gone through, some of which my parents might absolutely be at fault for. But this only started happening after they got off their anti-psychotic medication. Delusions affect both present thoughts and memories. They accuse me of things I haven't done and believe that Proud Boys roam the streets at every corner. This is entirely different from the past 10-12 years of them being on medication.

I'm trying to be gentle here but you minimized again. What criteria do you have for deciding what trauma is "abuse" and what isn't? Or which traumas have some purchase in your mind and which don't? Is it that they became more visible once she stopped taking her medication? Depending on the medication it probably dulled her to the point where she was manageable for the family but those issues were never resolved.

Look I get the impossible position you're in. It sucks. I'm pushing back a bit and I hope that's okay. As a few posters said there's a limit to what you can do and none of the options seem great. You love your sister and want to help her but it's a lot of chaos and frustration with her in the house in her current state. I'm going to leave you with a few challenging ideas:

A) In every family there are many roles. Two central roles are the Hero and the Absorber/Scapegoat. The Hero is meant to succeed and elevate the family with their accomplishments although no matter how successful they are, the family never elevates. The Absorber/Scapegoat holds on to the family's poo poo, the secrets, the psychic diseases and the true status of the family rises and falls with this person. Which role are you, which role is your sister? What part do you and your parents play in enforcing those roles?

B) All mental illness is a family illness. 100% of it. For example in AA you will hear a beautiful mantra, "I'm not responsible for my disease but I am responsible for my recovery." Meaning alcoholism is a family disease and it was developed in the family, because of the family. (The second part of 'being responsible for my recovery' is important but isn't as related to what I'm getting at.) If you want to understand more and want to understand more about your sister I would read up on Family Systems.

C) What about the family therapy piece, #6?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think that if someone is obsessed with trauma and abuse, then there is a place in their life for trauma and abuse. Maybe it's not being acknowledged by their family, maybe they're too ashamed to tell anyone about it, but the fact that they turn everything into a discussion about it means that they believe trauma and abuse have had a big impact on their lives.

This isn't to blame you or your family. People with serious mental health issues can be very difficult to understand and help.

And a word about medication: In my experience, medication doesn't really solve any problems, it just files off the edges so that you can function better. Perhaps getting them back to being medicated is an important step, but at some point they have to address the underlying issue as to why they feel so victimized. And, really, the only thing you can do is listen and acknowledge their pain.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

thehandtruck posted:

I'm trying to be gentle here but you minimized again. What criteria do you have for deciding what trauma is "abuse" and what isn't? Or which traumas have some purchase in your mind and which don't? Is it that they became more visible once she stopped taking her medication? Depending on the medication it probably dulled her to the point where she was manageable for the family but those issues were never resolved.

Look I get the impossible position you're in. It sucks. I'm pushing back a bit and I hope that's okay. As a few posters said there's a limit to what you can do and none of the options seem great. You love your sister and want to help her but it's a lot of chaos and frustration with her in the house in her current state. I'm going to leave you with a few challenging ideas:

A) In every family there are many roles. Two central roles are the Hero and the Absorber/Scapegoat. The Hero is meant to succeed and elevate the family with their accomplishments although no matter how successful they are, the family never elevates. The Absorber/Scapegoat holds on to the family's poo poo, the secrets, the psychic diseases and the true status of the family rises and falls with this person. Which role are you, which role is your sister? What part do you and your parents play in enforcing those roles?

B) All mental illness is a family illness. 100% of it. For example in AA you will hear a beautiful mantra, "I'm not responsible for my disease but I am responsible for my recovery." Meaning alcoholism is a family disease and it was developed in the family, because of the family. (The second part of 'being responsible for my recovery' is important but isn't as related to what I'm getting at.) If you want to understand more and want to understand more about your sister I would read up on Family Systems.

C) What about the family therapy piece, #6?

This is a lot to address so I'll just say that they have been a genuine victim of trauma and abuse at many points in their life, regardless of what are and aren't genuine instances of that from our parents in particular. It's also possible that our parents are hiding things from me, and my father in particular has a poor memory of what did and didn't happen, which means he might be trying to suppress different poo poo. He reacted angrily to my sibling cutting and made them remove some clothes to see just how bad it was. My sister remembers this as "he forced me to strip down." This is but one of many examples where it could easily be that he crossed a line in terms of how he handled things, and he has wept and apologized for his more authoritarian parenting and anger issues in the past (that's not to say that he's repented adequately for what he may or may not have done).

My sibling was the golden child and I was the "secret" at an early age, and then we more or less switched roles after they started to see demons, attempted suicide and were diagnosed with schizophrenia. That's also complicated things for both of us.

Another weird thing: when they were going through a divorce, my sibling believed that they had COVID in early early March. They believed that COVID was a joke, but then suddenly our parents didn't want them in the house because of how much their volunteer work put them in proximity of people who were more at risk of getting it. They had a scare and quarantined for two weeks, but our parents continued to limit their access to the house because they weren't sure if it was psychosomatic (my sibling later confirmed that they had Epstein-Barr, but still believes they had COVID too and feels hurt for being doubted) even though they insisted that this episode meant that they were now immune and being in the house maskless was fine. This was also partially because of the constant berating, and our father just had a heart attack.

The issue with therapy is that my sibling needs to talk 99% of the time in any interaction with them, and will likely be dissatisfied with the therapist if they don't cater exactly to what they want to get out of it. In their ideal scenario, our parents wouldn't have any time to speak themselves or process their own very real traumas. They would berate them further, my parents would apologize, and the cycle would repeat itself. Our father just had a heart attack and he feels that these stresses may have led to it. This argumentative pattern has gone on ever since they stopped taking antipsychotics, and they are still taking oxy/fentanyl for nerve pain.

So yeah, there's a whole lot of poo poo to dig into. I've confronted my parents one on one, talked to her one on one, and the bottom line is that my sibling needs help. Now they believe they never had psychosis to begin with, but I am almost positive that they are not in their right mind at present regardless of the real traumas and abuse they have gone through. I don't blame anyone for their situation and they aren't at fault either. But they need help. Period.

P.S. The pronouns are probably confusing and I've let a couple of she/hers slip. That's because my sibling has been questioning their gender identity for a few months and now prefers they/them.

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

This is a lot to address

First, this whole situation really sucks and I feel for you. It weighs heavy on anyone with a conscience, so take whatever means of self care you can.

I grew up with a mentally ill sibling, who while being awful growing up, in early adulthood became much more severely ill and cruel and abusive. It has lead to a great deal of my own issues, and honestly I found learning about trauma to be extremely helpful for beginning to move past my own issues as well as making more sense of my family. I think one important thing about trauma is that it's the psychic reaction to an event more than the event itself. People who have trauma are more likely to be retraumatized by events that to most people would be something manageable, if upsetting. This isn't to say unfair accusations of abuse or delusions are acceptable, but it's why recovery from the larger/initial traumas is important. Having a chronically angry parent is damaging to a child, the stress of overexpectant parenting is damaging, but your sibling can't seem to do the internal work to move past, for their own sake.

Family therapy may be helpful in at least starting a dialog, or it may not be, but it may help your sibling in time and it seems likeone of your few options. You started to describe how you imagine a session would go and while it's tempting to say you don't know, I bet you're correct, at least mostly. What I think you should consider though is that the therapist would see what's going on, and if they're good, know how to handle it. It can be frustrating to hear someone say things you know or feel aren't true, but if it's out in the open it can be moved past. You don't have to take your sibling's perception or a therapist's as being anything more than that, their perception, but by being aware of them you can find your own way to move forward and hopefully provide an opportunity for your sibling to do the same.