Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I honestly had no idea what I was looking at until I remembered the weird door handle thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Looks like there's finally a EV wagon!

The MG 5 EV, looks delightfully practical... too bad it's not coming to the US. Sigh

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The MG 5 EV, looks delightfully practical... too bad it's not coming to the US. Sigh

It's a FORD MACH-E

NOTE: Malibu is in California which I believe is still in the USA :-)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They're adding a ~$230 yearly registration fee on all EVs in Norway starting from 2021. Or so I think, the final budget hasn't been approved yet :v:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

It's a FORD MACH-E

NOTE: Malibu is in California which I believe is still in the USA :-)

Yea, but it's got a proper wagon rear end, none of that slopped hatch business.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

VideoGameVet posted:

Spotted in Malibu today (he was a tester):

That actually looks pretty dang nice, that black roof bulge is doing some heavy lifting but otherwise....

Do these have tow ratings yet? Because when I'm done with the house I'm looking to go full EV, and that+a medium trailer would be nice.

E:

Wibla posted:

They're adding a ~$230 yearly registration fee on all EVs in Norway starting from 2021. Or so I think, the final budget hasn't been approved yet :v:

Yeah, but with Norwegian gas prices you make that up in like two trips.

E2: goddamnit just put regular loving door handles obv your car, ffs

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 9, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

God I just want them to make an actual EV Mustang. I know why they went with the crossover but DAMNIT I want the real deal

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Interesting new scientific news on battery tech:
https://phys.org/news/2020-12-fluorine-substitute-lithium-rechargeable-batteries.html

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

My State (WA) is $150 a year, and they're trying to raise it to $300.

There's also a $75/year tax on hybrids, even non-PHEVs, to build charging stations.

Very good and sensible.

Tax my truck so I get rid of it instead you fucks.

Yeah this is BS, but we did get the sales tax discount, so for my purchase, I'll still be in the black for a few years yet. Not forgiving them tho - this is a backwards policy.

Also, I just starting looking at used Bolts, and it seems that some are down to $15-16K.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I want a honda e so bad based only on looks. Alas.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MrLogan posted:

lol, Tesla just said that they decided not to let customers keep their SRECs. So they should be able to keep mine with no compensation.

Like, I'm not sure where to even begin.

Wibla posted:

Get a lawyer.

gwrtheyrn posted:

That being said, when lawyers get involved, both parties lose. I'm sure they're counting on people thinking it's not worth suing to get away with it

How much are the SRECs worth? There's probably an arbitration clause that complicates things

*edit*
Toyota launching solid state batteries in 2021, but in small quantities so they'll only have prototypes next year

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Still waiting on a call back from Tesla. They said they escalated the issue and I should hear back from them this week (I won't).

Here's how it seems their grift works:

1) Create a new contract and initial on the customers behalf that says the customer is selling Tesla the SRECs for well below the market value of the SRECs
2) Never send this new contract to anyone
3) When customer complains/finds out, deny creating a new contract; blame finance arm for giving you too big of a loan (because they have the original contract that doesn't have a discount for selling Tesla SRECs)
4) Assume customer won't do anything because lawyers are too expensive

Right now, MD SRECs are $79/each. My system generates 10/year.

I'm not sure why they think I'd sell them something worth $790/year for $1,300. Even if the SRECs decrease in value, the payback period is less than two years and I don't think they'd decline that quickly. Google indicates that I could sell the rights for the SRECs for $300/each upfront on the open market if I don't want to deal with selling them every year.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MomJeans420 posted:

How much are the SRECs worth? There's probably an arbitration clause that complicates things

*edit*
Toyota launching solid state batteries in 2021, but in small quantities so they'll only have prototypes next year

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

This is welcome news. I'm a loyal Toyota owner who really wanted a Toyota EV but leased a Kia instead.

So maybe in 2023 I can get one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a bit skeptical of any fancy new battery technology that's supposed to fix all our problems. Somebody put solid state batteries on a city bus and it wasn't actually any better than the LiIon. But maybe Toyota can make it work.

In the meantime, remember the tiny Citroen EV quad/car thing? It's out: https://youtu.be/uUEKtOGmpVI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm a bit skeptical of any fancy new battery technology that's supposed to fix all our problems. Somebody put solid state batteries on a city bus and it wasn't actually any better than the LiIon. But maybe Toyota can make it work.

I'm still waiting for the promised carbon nanotube revolution we were supposed to get.

But every incremental improvement brings us closer to mass adoption, and that's good.

Toyota and Subaru, Honda and others really need to step up their widescale full EV game. They've only made compliance / micro-market vehicles so far. Mazda too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm sad that Lexus are only doing some CUV poo poo for their first EV. I'd love one of their sedans as an EV.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

it is good looking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ZCxIbnb90

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mobby_6kl posted:

In the meantime, remember the tiny Citroen EV quad/car thing? It's out: https://youtu.be/uUEKtOGmpVI

I enjoyed the conversation about "France has so many winos that lost their licenses so there is a considerable market for quadricycles that don't need one"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles posted:

Toyota and Subaru, Honda and others really need to step up their widescale full EV game. They've only made compliance / micro-market vehicles so far. Mazda too.

The reality is, the EU’s legislation has forced automakers to move in substantial ways. Japan hasn’t had that - yet.

The other issue is fast charging is really trailing behind in Japan - unsure if it’ll get to 100 kW/hr soon, never mind the 350 kW/hr level expected in parts of Europe soon. And the regulations appear to cap voltage too.

There’s a reason more development has been on hydrogen to start with...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
VW still intends to make a wagon but it's delayed to '23 now, so I'm still doubtful

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a34757971/heres-when-well-see-the-first-ev-station-wagon/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

harperdc posted:

The reality is, the EU’s legislation has forced automakers to move in substantial ways. Japan hasn’t had that - yet.

The other issue is fast charging is really trailing behind in Japan - unsure if it’ll get to 100 kW/hr soon, never mind the 350 kW/hr level expected in parts of Europe soon. And the regulations appear to cap voltage too.

There’s a reason more development has been on hydrogen to start with...

Disagree. Europe's diesel obsession was largely driven by legislation but was generally ignored everywhere else. You just had to make, or more often partner with someone who made diesel engines to play competitively in their pool. Japan went another way, incentivizing petrol hybrids, which pretty much set the tone for the Japanese domestic (and I think Korean as well) market.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Qwijib0 posted:

VW still intends to make a wagon but it's delayed to '23 now, so I'm still doubtful

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a34757971/heres-when-well-see-the-first-ev-station-wagon/

they are absolutely going to make a wagon since the long Golf and related still sells decently well in Europe, but i am highly doubtful that it will come to the USA

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Finger Prince posted:

Disagree. Europe's diesel obsession was largely driven by legislation but was generally ignored everywhere else. You just had to make, or more often partner with someone who made diesel engines to play competitively in their pool. Japan went another way, incentivizing petrol hybrids, which pretty much set the tone for the Japanese domestic (and I think Korean as well) market.

Toyota is not a passive participant in the setting of Japanese regulation of automobiles and the choice to pursue hybrids and hydrogen cells to the exclusion of other alternatives.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

keseph posted:

Toyota is not a passive participant in the setting of Japanese regulation of automobiles and the choice to pursue hybrids and hydrogen cells to the exclusion of other alternatives.

The same can be said for Volkswagen in Europe.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I think if anyone can pull it off, Toyota can. I suspect they are a bit more thorough in their planning of long term supply chain issues than certain other BEV manufacturers. But charging in 10 minutes would be a game changer, especially because it wouldn't require nearly the build out of chargers that the current technology requires.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

keseph posted:

Toyota is a founder of something called the Japan Hydrogen Association, along with other huge corporations, including the one behind the largest petrol station chain in the country.

Even a few years ago there were Japanese government-published targets of getting hydrogen prices down to $2/kg in the next decade from the current $10/kg.

Don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I won't believe any new battery tech / manufacturing methods until it's in a product. The number of new battery techs i've read about over the last 10 year that have made it into real products is basically the same as the number i've read about total.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
But Quantumscape stock is so hot!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh man, y'all remember when ultracapacitors with insane energy densities and unlimited charge discharge rates were just around the corner?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Oh man, y'all remember when ultracapacitors with insane energy densities and unlimited charge discharge rates were just around the corner?

remember graphene

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

What’s going to be the EV version of “They made a car that can run on water, but it’s all being covered up, man!” ?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They made a car that got megawatts per tank of gasoline but they covered it up and made us use batteries

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Any day now carbon nanotube polymer graphite solid state super capacitor silicon paper batteries will come along and overturn the energy industry!

Or more likely these technologies will lead to small improvements over time, so 10+ years down the road batteries will be moderately superior in most ways, but mostly just more affordable, easier to manufacture, and more sustainable.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 12, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Any day now carbon nanotube polymer graphite solid state super capacitor silicon paper batteries will come along and overturn the energy industry!

Or more likely these technologies will lead to small improvements over time, so 10+ years down the road batteries will be moderately superior in most ways, but mostly just more affordable, easier to manufacture, and more sustainable.

The system works!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Now there's a new layer of "AI helped us test new materials faster to discover new thing." I think that just means that AI is helping them develop these pie in the sky BATTERY BREAKTHROUGH stories faster.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I know it was mentioned in the last thread, but has anyone used a Dryer Buddy to switch between dryer and evse? Place I'm looking to move has a NEMA 10-30 in the garage, and that seems like an easy fix.

Also found something similar called NeoCharge, which happens to be UL certified. Wonder if that's worth an extra ~$100? https://www.getneocharge.com/shop-pages/appliance-smart-splitter-3

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just got my electric gas tax bill. $81, which isn't terrible.
However, $81 divided by our $0.17/gallon gas tax = 476 gallons.
476 gallons * 45mpg (what I get on gas only) = 21420 miles per year, which is 60% more than I drive per year.
States need to base this on annual odometer reading, this is dumb.

e: https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/more-states-hitting-electric-vehicle-owners-with-high-fees/

Looks like every state charges EV owners more tax than ICE owners, and some are looking to bump it to stupid high levels in order to generate revenue without the bad PR of raising gas taxes outright.
This sounds pretty crappy, but I do have questions. I am not sure what you mean by "45mpg (what I get on gas only)", are you driving a hybrid? 45mpg seems higher than I would expect for a non hybrid or electric car.

Your 17 cents per gallon fuel tax, puts you in Missouri, with the second lowest state fuel taxes in the nation. Are you paying the 18 cent per gallon federal fuel tax?

It seems like a lovely deal, and I agree legislators are likely discriminating against "$$$rich Tesla EV owners$$$". It is easier to raise taxes on the minority instead of doing the right thing. In that regard, I can find a state pdf with a chart showing 2 cent per gallon increases every year until 2003 for Kansas (23 cents per gallon) but I can't find the same for Missouri. All I can find for you is a news article from 2018 stating voters are upset over first possible gas tax increase since 1996. In Kansas, I can tell you fuel consumption and tax revenue have decreased almost every year for the past ~20 years.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Westy543 posted:

I know it was mentioned in the last thread, but has anyone used a Dryer Buddy to switch between dryer and evse? Place I'm looking to move has a NEMA 10-30 in the garage, and that seems like an easy fix.

Also found something similar called NeoCharge, which happens to be UL certified. Wonder if that's worth an extra ~$100? https://www.getneocharge.com/shop-pages/appliance-smart-splitter-3

The previous owner of my car used a dryer buddy and said it worked great for her. I've also seen it recommended in the local EV facebook group. No personal experience though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Not Wolverine posted:

This sounds pretty crappy, but I do have questions. I am not sure what you mean by "45mpg (what I get on gas only)", are you driving a hybrid? 45mpg seems higher than I would expect for a non hybrid or electric car.

I get about 45mpg on generator on my Volt.

quote:

Your 17 cents per gallon fuel tax, puts you in Missouri, with the second lowest state fuel taxes in the nation. Are you paying the 18 cent per gallon federal fuel tax?

It seems like a lovely deal, and I agree legislators are likely discriminating against "$$$rich Tesla EV owners$$$". It is easier to raise taxes on the minority instead of doing the right thing. In that regard, I can find a state pdf with a chart showing 2 cent per gallon increases every year until 2003 for Kansas (23 cents per gallon) but I can't find the same for Missouri. All I can find for you is a news article from 2018 stating voters are upset over first possible gas tax increase since 1996. In Kansas, I can tell you fuel consumption and tax revenue have decreased almost every year for the past ~20 years.

Yes, we are a stupid state full of stupid voters who elect stupid politicians to carry out their stupid wishes. And we constantly refuse to raise the gas tax to pay for our crumbling road infrastructure so the politicians have been coming up with other solutions like, as I posted earlier soaking the hippies. And we're not as bad as a lot of states, but the politicians are looking at bumping it up to $250, which would be far more disproportional than any of the states because if you're going to gently caress environmentally conscious people to support your ignorant hillbilly constituents, might as well go all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I get about 45mpg on generator on my Volt.

Yes, we are a stupid state full of stupid voters who elect stupid politicians to carry out their stupid wishes. And we constantly refuse to raise the gas tax to pay for our crumbling road infrastructure so the politicians have been coming up with other solutions like, as I posted earlier soaking the hippies. And we're not as bad as a lot of states, but the politicians are looking at bumping it up to $250, which would be far more disproportional than any of the states because if you're going to gently caress environmentally conscious people to support your ignorant hillbilly constituents, might as well go all the way.
I appreciate you going over it, but in my opinion the problem is more that the fuel taxes need to be increased. I think it's a bit unfair to use your Volt's range since it is a hybrid and not a pure EV, I think a comparable gasoline only car would average maybe 20/30mpg so estimating your taxes based off of 45mpg could be as little as half of what you would pay with a traditional car.

I feel your pain about being surrounded by Trump supporters. Kansas's area code used to be 316 for the whole state, I am surrounded by bible thumping anti-vaxxing Trump supporters. But I am not too offended by the laws here, somehow a lot of the laws in Kansas seem pretty reasonable. Similarly, I am not offended by your EV tax, although my opinion would likely be different if I were paying the tax, or if they bump your taxes up even more (bro truck driving Missouri Trump supporters will vote to increase your EV taxes).