Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Yeah, you can use Ryzen Master to test out capping PPT and then go set that in BIOS once you find your personal sweet spot.

sean10mm and I have both produced results showing that capping PPT @ 120W is around a 8-10*C drop in peak and average CPU temps with a 2-3% penalty on multicore performance.

e:

Make sure you have it in "Advanced Mode" in Settings, then you can switch a profile to Precision Boost Overdrive, manually enter a PPT value, then hit apply.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

You almost certainly have an option under bios somewhere as well probably under pbo but can depend on your vendor once you find a value you like.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I jumped to DDR4 in early 2016 and that was about the right time to do it. Got 4 sticks of DDR4-3000 C15 (fairly good stuff at the time) for $126 total and put them on a 5820K, thing owned. And yes it ran them all at full speed.

then prices like quadrupled in 2017. At that point I started to regret not loading 'er up with 8 sticks, would have been another $126 well-spent.

so basically, aim for like the second generation, or maybe third. It's going to improve across the whole lifespan but you have to jump in at some point, and that gets you past the worst of the jank.

or I guess compare the difference between the first Ryzen memory controller on Zen1/Zen+ and Zen2. Zen1/Zen+ were janky as gently caress considering the kits available at the time, 3200 was pretty much it. Zen2 was fine. Zen3 didn't really get you anything more.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 10, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sipher posted:

Despite getting my fan curves fixed, Cyberpunk is driving my 5800x to 90c.

I can use Ryzen Master and set it at 4.6ghz and 1.25v and that keeps it in the low 70s with no performance impact, but then the CPU stops idling/clocking down when I'm not using it for gaming. Any way to undervolt and still maintain stock boost behavior?

That's interesting. I've got a 5800x and it was averaging 73-75 while playing Cyberpunk. That's with stock settings though, no overclocks. I also have a pretty conservative fan curve on the CPU, I could probably max the fans and push it below 70.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dramicus posted:

That's interesting. I've got a 5800x and it was averaging 73-75 while playing Cyberpunk. That's with stock settings though, no overclocks. I also have a pretty conservative fan curve on the CPU, I could probably max the fans and push it below 70.

You guys could be using very different coolers and have cases with very different airflow situations.

Also possible they've got a problem with mounting pressure or paste application, though I'd expect that to manifest itself immediately with just about any benchmark.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I have a 3090 FE that dumps it's hot exhaust DIRECTLY into the CPU cooler, which is causing temps 10c higher than Prime95

Appreciate all the help. I set PBO to 120, took out the DVD drive and cage I wasn't using anyway and zip tied a 120 mil fan directly in front of the CPU, and opened the front door of the case (Define R5). Staying stable in the high 70s/low 80s now, and zero game performance difference.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 10, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Sipher posted:

I have a 3090 FE that dumps it's hot exhaust DIRECTLY into the CPU cooler

You really should have mentioned this in the beginning. Your original post made it sound like you had no idea what might have been causing your CPU temps to be so abnormally high in certain circumstances. No one can do a good job of root cause analysis when you neglect to mention that you have put a 350W space heater on top of the processor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

VorpalFish posted:

You guys could be using very different coolers and have cases with very different airflow situations.

Yeah, I've got an NH-D15 with pretty direct access to cool air from outside the case, and while my 1080ti is dumping quite a bit of heat into the case, it's not directly blowing it up into the cpu cooler.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amazon has been restocking zen 3 every morning this week around 2-3am pst. Might be worth setting alerts for.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm looking at building a new desktop here in the next couple of weeks after being pretty out of following desktop hardware the last few years and coming back to be pleasantly surprised AMD is worth a poo poo again. I did pick up on the caveat that if I do a Zen3 chip on a B550 or a X570 that there is some inherent jank with firmware updates. Are there some boards people like that are relatively easy to flash to zen3 capability (or are zen3 capable out of the box) without a lot of hassle? Looking at something primarily gaming focused for a mid - high end enthusiast build. Been looking at a Ryzen 9 5900 and a RTX 3070 and will build out from there as I can budget and source parts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got my 5800x from AntOnline and since I already saw horror stories about bent pins I did the most painstakingly slow and careful process ever (pick straight up from edges right out of the plastic box it comes in and lay it flat down into the socket, lining up the corner arrow and making sure the lever was all the way up. Lightly trying to settle the chip in I noticed it wasn't seating flat with a light wiggle, so I took it back out to check:

Yes, it had one single pin pre-bent for me for some reason. It 100% wasn't me lol, I never exerted anything remotely considered pressure on this chip.

Anyhoo, I carefully nudged the pin back with my fingernail and now it seats perfectly. But seriously, what the gently caress. This is what I get for screwing with AMD CPUs for the first time since like 2002.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

I got my 5800x from AntOnline and since I already saw horror stories about bent pins I did the most painstakingly slow and careful process ever (pick straight up from edges right out of the plastic box it comes in and lay it flat down into the socket, lining up the corner arrow and making sure the lever was all the way up. Lightly trying to settle the chip in I noticed it wasn't seating flat with a light wiggle, so I took it back out to check:

Yes, it had one single pin pre-bent for me for some reason. It 100% wasn't me lol, I never exerted anything remotely considered pressure on this chip.

Anyhoo, I carefully nudged the pin back with my fingernail and now it seats perfectly. But seriously, what the gently caress. This is what I get for screwing with AMD CPUs for the first time since like 2002.

Hang in there. Pins are not the worst thing ever. just be glad it wasn't folded over. These cpus really have balls so.. probably worth it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Any bent pin situation is not ideal, but I think I'd rather deal with the pins on the cpu rather than the intel pins on the motherboard. That looks like a complete nightmare to try to fix manually.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

mdxi posted:

You really should have mentioned this in the beginning. Your original post made it sound like you had no idea what might have been causing your CPU temps to be so abnormally high in certain circumstances. No one can do a good job of root cause analysis when you neglect to mention that you have put a 350W space heater on top of the processor.

:confused: I didn't ask for an RCA, I just asked how to lower my CPU temps via undervolting and I got some great replies and fixed the problem.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
IIRC Gamers Nexus found that the OMG FE COOLER BLOWS ON CPU effect was pretty limited anyway.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Yeah the pass through vs traditional cooler wasn't found to impact tower coolers differently in a meaningful way.

What COULD impact CPU temps is having a gpu pushing 320w+ in the case at all, regardless of downdraft vs passthrough design.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

VorpalFish posted:

Yeah the pass through vs traditional cooler wasn't found to impact tower coolers differently in a meaningful way.

What COULD impact CPU temps is having a gpu pushing 320w+ in the case at all, regardless of downdraft vs passthrough design.

Yeah the real problem is the sheer heat output from any high end GPU, which dwarfs the CPU itself.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Any bent pin situation is not ideal, but I think I'd rather deal with the pins on the cpu rather than the intel pins on the motherboard. That looks like a complete nightmare to try to fix manually.

Oh, it can be. I've had to fix bent pins on several motherboards and a couple of AMD CPUs and the CPUs are much easier to deal with.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Still loving around with my Asrock Rack X570D4I-2T and can't get video to appear. When I touch the power button pins, the CPU and GPU fans spin up and stay that way but no video feed.

I've tried:

- onboard motherboard VGA
- different monitors
- with and without the RTX 3080 hooked up
- memory in different slots (using the guide of approved placements
- different brand of ram
- with and without SSD installed

The power light on the motherboard is solid green and the BMC heartbeat LED blinks like it is supposed to

Please don't tell me I need some way to install the beta BIOS before I can get the BIOS to appear with a 5800x installed?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zero VGS posted:

The power light on the motherboard is solid green and the BMC heartbeat LED blinks like it is supposed to

Please don't tell me I need some way to install the beta BIOS before I can get the BIOS to appear with a 5800x installed?

yeah you do. welcome to zen3. is there a quickflash USB port? a fair amount of mobos have a way to USB flash without having it boot up.

AMD has a cpu loaner program I think. Or order a Zen1/2 from Amazon and return it.

e: Note third generation isn't Zen 3. it's the 3000 series. and yeah you need the beta bios:

quote:

Version Date Update BIOS Under Size Description Download From
2.08a 12/11/2020 Instant Flash 16.62MB
1. Update AGESA ComboV2 to 1.1.0.0
2. Support Ryzen 5000 series CPU

We should probably get a mod to change the title of this thread because it;'s such a common problem.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 11, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Most of the Gigabyte/MSI boards have a utility that lets you flash the bios with a USB drive without the CPU/RAM

Asus does on their B550 boards, but surprisingly not on their TuF X570 boards. Haven't seen many ASR rock boards with the feature, it's usually a small button on the back panel

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Still loving around with my Asrock Rack X570D4I-2T and can't get video to appear. When I touch the power button pins, the CPU and GPU fans spin up and stay that way but no video feed.

I've tried:

- onboard motherboard VGA
- different monitors
- with and without the RTX 3080 hooked up
- memory in different slots (using the guide of approved placements
- different brand of ram
- with and without SSD installed

Does ASRock Rack Instant Flash do BIOS updates without a CPU?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Does ASRock Rack Instant Flash do BIOS updates without a CPU?

Nah, it's the name for their update utility from the BIOS.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fyi avoid the Asus Prime pro x570 piece of poo poo motherboard even though the design is amazing.

Also there seems to be conflicting information about the voltage. Is 1.4v not too high for a 5800x? Some people say its normally.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ulio posted:

Fyi avoid the Asus Prime pro x570 piece of poo poo motherboard even though the design is amazing.

What sucks about it?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ulio posted:

Also there seems to be conflicting information about the voltage. Is 1.4v not too high for a 5800x? Some people say its normally.
If it's managing its own voltage and not ocd I wouldn't worry about.

If you are messing with offsets or setting it yourself then 1.4 is likely too high.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've got the Asus Prime X570-P and I haven't had any problems with it. The default fan curves were... odd... but easy to change.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Argh what the gently caress is up with this bullshit, I just bought a Ryzen 3200g from Microcenter and put that in and the PC still won't output with the motherboard VGA to one monitor or 3080 Displayport to a different monitor. Fans spin up but nothing.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Zero VGS posted:

Argh what the gently caress is up with this bullshit, I just bought a Ryzen 3200g from Microcenter and put that in and the PC still won't output with the motherboard VGA to one monitor or 3080 Displayport to a different monitor. Fans spin up but nothing.

Short? CPU/socket issue? Those were the symptoms of my dead b450 board FWIW

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

Try taking both RAM sticks out and putting back only one of them, and then letting it turn on and run for 5+ minutes. Some of these boards seem real wonky with RAM, and forcing a re-detection of it like that sometimes helps.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
AMD 5600X $300 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08166SLDF. Ships Feb 2021
You might have a couple minutes.
e: Window was about 6 min total.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2020

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Hey, anyone on an msi board with bios flashback? I have a b550 tomahawk and the flashback led keeps flashing for over 20 minutes now. The cpu is on the board the ram aswell but both the hdd's are disconnected. Ive read that its ok to update with the cpu installed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

What sucks about it?

CPU socket's lever is super finnicky, no bluetooth/wifi. I feel like I should have spend way more on the mobo. On my intel setup I had the most expensive mobo(ASUS Rog) but barely made any use of it's features. Feels like this time I went too low end.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RocketSurgeon posted:

Hey, anyone on an msi board with bios flashback? I have a b550 tomahawk and the flashback led keeps flashing for over 20 minutes now. The cpu is on the board the ram aswell but both the hdd's are disconnected. Ive read that its ok to update with the cpu installed.

Dunno if they changed things but I'd be surprised if they did and on the b450 it was supposed to all be empty. Though it was a solid light on the failed flashes so idk what constant flashing means.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

RocketSurgeon posted:

I flashed my MSI MEG Unify without a cpu or ram installed. Took maybe five minutes, flashing LED stopped when it was done.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

Try taking both RAM sticks out and putting back only one of them, and then letting it turn on and run for 5+ minutes. Some of these boards seem real wonky with RAM, and forcing a re-detection of it like that sometimes helps.

I did this and took out the BIOS battery for 10 minutes as well.

Am Asrock support guy suggested I check the "IPMI Web Gui" but the asrock pdf guide doesn't say what the default IPMI IP address would be. Guess I'll try the usual suspects?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

I did this and took out the BIOS battery for 10 minutes as well.

Am Asrock support guy suggested I check the "IPMI Web Gui" but the asrock pdf guide doesn't say what the default IPMI IP address would be. Guess I'll try the usual suspects?

I don't think there is one--it should be DHCP by default.

IIRC ASRock's IPMI is the same implementation as Supermicro, so you can try using IPMI View to scan your network for it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ulio posted:

CPU socket's lever is super finnicky, no bluetooth/wifi. I feel like I should have spend way more on the mobo. On my intel setup I had the most expensive mobo(ASUS Rog) but barely made any use of it's features. Feels like this time I went too low end.

Personally I don't want Bluetooth/wifi on my mobo, and would rather run them as discrete parts. It just strikes me as one more possible point of failure, and would rather pick and choose my wireless components.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ulio posted:

I think everyone is using the same Foxconn sockets on their AM4 boards (at least the boards with metal arms), and Asus sells a version with wifi/bt?

e: actually i guess they dont have a pro wifi version for x570, ASUS constantly changing product segmentation and aesthetics are very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Can you update a motherboards bios with processor etc connected? I reviewed the manual for my motherboard and it says it's just as simple as putting it on a UDB and pushing a button but don't want to gently caress it up