Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Hate to break it to you Slavvy, but those aren't fisher price bullshit. They work loving great for low voltage accessory wiring, which is what they're targeted for, and they're simple enough to use that people who couldn't make a decent crimp to save their rear end in hell can make a good connection with them.

I'd rather see a Posi-Lock in the middle of a wiring harness than a poo poo solder job or loose butt crimp because they're incredibly easy to un-gently caress if the installer had an IQ low enough to gently caress them up in the first place. Posi-Taps are also WAY loving better than a standard vampire tap as far as solid connections, and they also mean a PO doesn't have to cut/splice/split the factory harness to run whatever abomination they've decided to wire up, so I again can easily un-gently caress whatever they might have done.

If someone knows what they're doing, then absolutely, they should use decent crimp connections/bullet connectors/etc. as appropriate. I'm sure you're all too well aware, there are vanishingly few people who know their rear end from their elbows when it comes to wiring. Look at this poo poo the guy who made my sidecar sent me as an example of how to tap the turn/brake signal wiring on my bike (this is from a German!).

I mean, this is just a long way of saying doing things clumsy and ugly, but functional, is better than doing them like an absolute raging muppet on pcp which, yeah no arguments there.

But if you want to do things properly you use crimps, they are neither expensive nor complicated and anyone reading this thread has both the brains and resources to do it. Ratcheting crimping pliers are $15 on aliexpress if you're really skint, I've got both that kind and the very fancy narva kind and switch between them on a per-terminal basis because they're different sizes but they're both equally well made and functional.

Sagebrush posted:

Soldering is real and good and strong and my friend but it has to be done correctly and used in appropriate places. It is totally appropriate to make a soldered splice in a place where the wires carry a reasonable amount of current, do not need to flex at the joint, and do not need to be disassembled. A lineman's splice is strong, permanent, and no larger than the wires themselves.

However, you wouldn't do something like solder a new lamp directly into your wiring harness, or use those vampire connectors, because you're not an rear end in a top hat. You would of course splice in a pigtail with crimped bullet connectors (or similar) on the ends, and use that to connect the new device.

Yeah soldering rules if you want to repair a harness or lengthen something and you don't want any bigger profile than the wire, it looks a treat and is super handy for doing stuff like internal handlebar wiring. Using it on an actual component is either lunacy or electronics repair depending on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Soldering is real and good and strong and my friend

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I don't need this overpriced crap, I have a crimping tool already! Just never got around to buying more than a handful of spade terminals.

e/ I guess I shouldn't dunk on soldering too hard, because it is good when done right, and I do enjoy doing it! I just had this moment yesterday afternoon where I realised my half remembered process from getting taught soldering in school 20 years ago has almost completely left my head. I don't know why I'm doing any of the things I'm doing, my technique sucks, it takes ages because I'm out of practice and it's a miracle that I can make something even approaching a functional joint.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 30, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Yeah soldering rules if you want to repair a harness or lengthen something and you don't want any bigger profile than the wire

Sagebrush posted:

A lineman's splice is strong, permanent, and no larger than the wires themselves.

See this is how I know I suck and need to go back to school because this does not describe my splices at all

They're strong enough to work and aren't in a position where they'll come apart or be subject to flex, but pretty they ain't.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

See this is how I know I suck and need to go back to school because this does not describe my splices at all

They're strong enough to work and aren't in a position where they'll come apart or be subject to flex, but pretty they ain't.

Same. They are definitely fatter than the original wire and don't look aesthetically pleasing, but they are strong and watertight.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I bought a crimping tool with removable teeth for different connector styles, and it came with a great stripper.

I tried loads of different connectors but the brass bullet style in different sizes with optional insulation, properly crimped and finished with cloth electrical tape, are absolutely excellent.

All of the above in a quantity enough for a whole bike can be had on eBay for <£30.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know poo poo about wiring but CA recommended bullet connectors and I got this crimper, which worked out really well. I used it for the lights on my fairings because they got disconnected any time I'm doing anything on the bike, but I found other uses for them like making various attachments to my spare bike battery. I attach a cigarette lighter then use it to air up tires without having to start the car.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just give the wires a little twist and a dollop of hot glue and send it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, the “vintage video game console” method

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

dollop of hot glue

Do I look like I'm made of money?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gorson posted:

Do I look like I'm made of money?

You look like you're made of something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A mate just bought a cb1000r predator. He's a reasonably good rider but it's his first stupid fast bike and he's been complaining about the handling for a while, I dismissed it as not being used to big bikes + lovely touring rubber that he's replacing ASAP.

Today I went for a ride with him, I was mounted on my other mate's vfr400. He couldn't keep up at all so I smugly offered to swap bikes and discovered I could barely keep up with him despite being a better rider and on a bike with twice the power. No confidence anywhere, no idea what the wheels were doing, just terrible all around.

Got back to check the setup and sho nuff, the PO had wound the front preload adjusters as hard as they would go, rear preload on double the setting recommend in the manual as a baseline. Ten minutes of fiddling and it's now an absolute weapon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is a cb1000 predator? I mean, I know what the cb1000 part means

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's how they were marketed/badged here so idk, it's the model in this post though:

I use the term often because it differentiates them from the newer neo cafe model that shares the same underpinnings. Also I'm impressed if you made that image.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That's how they were marketed/badged here so idk, it's the model in this post though:

I use the term often because it differentiates them from the newer neo cafe model that shares the same underpinnings. Also I'm impressed if you made that image.

On my phone, with my finger. Ikr! I'm surprised I was even able to do it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

On my phone, with my finger. Ikr! I'm surprised I was even able to do it!

You really ARE a finger prince :aaa:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Listen, when you’re out of room to store your rock salt and barbecue sauce, you have to get creative!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Honey's one weakness- crystallization.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Try smoking it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I didn't know master cylinders could get kidney stones

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is why you gotta fill the bowls with distilled water before putting away for winter. Leave no room for crud.

MomJeans420 posted:

Try smoking it

:okpos:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Try smoking it

It's an 80's interceptor so snorting it would be more appropriate I think.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

hey folks just wanna give a gently caress you shout out to whatever yamaha engineer decided the lovely zinc screws that secure the rubber bits onto my footpegs needed an ounce of threadlocker-and-concrete cocktail, each

I bought a new bike goddammit! I shouldn't need the dremel and a trip to the hardware store :cripes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

hey folks just wanna give a gently caress you shout out to whatever yamaha engineer decided the lovely zinc screws that secure the rubber bits onto my footpegs needed an ounce of threadlocker-and-concrete cocktail, each

I bought a new bike goddammit! I shouldn't need the dremel and a trip to the hardware store :cripes:

Non-JIS screwdriver spotted :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's so weird how much difference it makes. PZ heads too, I can't visually detect any difference from phillips in the bit that actually fits into the screwhead*, but a phillips slips out constantly while a correctly sized PZ doesn't.

*yes I can see the extra little ridges toward the back, but those don't actually engage with anything as far as I can tell

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
breaking news, using right tool for job makes job easier

who could have predicted this!?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

This is why you gotta fill the bowls with distilled water before putting away for winter. Leave no room for crud.

That’s a brake master cylinder.

:mad:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s a brake master cylinder.

:mad:

In that case, don't use distilled water.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've never seen DOT4 do that and I've seen stored gasoline do terrible stuff. That is amazing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

In that case, don't use distilled water.

Mineral water is fine. Sparkling or still. If it was a KTM, you need to use Gasteiner and San Pellegrino or San Benedetto for a Ducati, but because it's a Yamaha you should be fine with whatever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
me dodging the motorcycle tax by ordering compatible bolts from a trade store instead of pro-bolt: haha gently caress yeah!!! yes!!

me having to buy a second set of bolts and pay shipping twice because I ordered the wrong size the first time: well this loving sucks. what the gently caress.

Measuring twice doesn't mean poo poo if you measure wrong both times! :downsgun:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

me, a genius: bolt length doesn't matter when you've got a die grinder :cool:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Galaxy brain: buying a metal lathe to make your own fasteners with.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Universe brain: zip ties

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Transcendant Cosmic Being brain: two part adhesives and speed tape

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

right arm posted:

me, a genius: bolt length doesn't matter when you've got a die grinder :cool:

They were too short :negative: