Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

That's a nice low deductible. Mine's 400 but I have the best plan out of the three different ones my company offers. I think the other ones are $1000 and $2500.

Its still early days with regards to the medical insurance covering my car accident but it's pretty likely BCBS will refuse to pay more than ~$1500 of the ~$8,000 worth of ambulance rides because of being out of network.

You look at your policy and see that it says "In case of emergency services out of network services will be billed at in network rates" and you think "Great! That means at most I'll have to pay 20% but really I won't have to pay anything because I'm hitting my OOP maximum so none of it really matters" but then how it actually works out is what I outlined above, getting charged thousands and it doesn't apply to your OOP max.

If I look at my BCBS summary right now it says "You owe these providers a total of $4,000" even though my OOP max is $2500, and I've only used $1,600 of my OOP max so there will be more stuff they expect me to pay to come.

The real fun part seems like it's going to be the life flights. My company benefits coordinator told me life flights are always out of network which means they'll likely tell me I'm on the hook for somewhere well into five figures but I checked what BCBS says and it says life flights can absolutely be in network and in fact that company that flew me is listed as in network, so I shouldn't have to pay more than $800 or so out of what I expect to be a 50 or 60 thousand dollar bill.

Are you in California by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Tl;dr: Insurance and/or agent hosed up and got our car registrations and a license suspended

My husband is an active duty Florida resident with his DL and our car registrations in Florida. We live in Nebraska (I am a licensed Nebraska driver). Florida explicitly says this arrangement is ok for active duty military.

We bought a house a little while ago and changed to an independent agent locally for home and auto because USAA wouldn't give us a homeowner's quote when we bought it due to occupancy. Husband updated address and coverage with Florida DMV.

Our agent waited 2.5 months to send us a letter saying "Nebraska dmv can't find your cars???" We called her immediately and got it squared away (we thought).

Florida DMV suspended his license and our car registrations as of Oct 20 (letter received today) because Nationwide denied we had coverage when they tried to confirm the info we gave. The policy number cited by DMV is the same policy number shown when we log into our Nationwide account.

I'm still going back and forth to the old place and am not comfortable driving a vehicle with suspended registration in the name of someone with a suspended license.

Can I reasonably expect these people to cover a rental for the 10+ days it'll take Florida to sort this out after the agent faxes proof of insurance? What are my next steps besides firing this agent and/or finding other insurance?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Are you in California by chance?

Nope

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

Tl;dr: Insurance and/or agent hosed up and got our car registrations and a license suspended

My husband is an active duty Florida resident with his DL and our car registrations in Florida. We live in Nebraska (I am a licensed Nebraska driver). Florida explicitly says this arrangement is ok for active duty military.

We bought a house a little while ago and changed to an independent agent locally for home and auto because USAA wouldn't give us a homeowner's quote when we bought it due to occupancy. Husband updated address and coverage with Florida DMV.

Our agent waited 2.5 months to send us a letter saying "Nebraska dmv can't find your cars???" We called her immediately and got it squared away (we thought).

Florida DMV suspended his license and our car registrations as of Oct 20 (letter received today) because Nationwide denied we had coverage when they tried to confirm the info we gave. The policy number cited by DMV is the same policy number shown when we log into our Nationwide account.

I'm still going back and forth to the old place and am not comfortable driving a vehicle with suspended registration in the name of someone with a suspended license.

Can I reasonably expect these people to cover a rental for the 10+ days it'll take Florida to sort this out after the agent faxes proof of insurance? What are my next steps besides firing this agent and/or finding other insurance?

Looks like there are a few steps you need to take when you’re a FL resident but stationed in another state.

quote:

All of the following are required:
1. An out-of-state mailing address (which will be shown on the Florida Vehicle Registration Certificate) for the military member.

2. a. A copy of the military orders for all original registrations. This is also acceptable proof for renewals.
or
b. For renewals, the military member’s military ID. If an ID is presented as proof of military assignment, it must not contain the word “retired”. Retired military members living in Florida are considered Florida residents and as such must comply with Florida insurance requirements and have a Florida driver license.
or
c. An affidavit from the military member confirming the member's military assignment to another state and the date of assignment. (See ExhibitF).

and

3. An affidavit stating the vehicle is being maintained in the member's state of military assignment and will not be driven in the state of Florida, except in a transient visitor status (See Exhibit F).

4. Proof of insurance as described in Verification: A. Acceptable Forms of Proof on pages three and four of this procedure. If proof of insurance is submitted in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a written translation into the English language.

Here’s the affidavit:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/military/milpak.pdf

I wouldn’t expect anyone to offer to cover the rental, but I also don’t think Nebraska cops can see FL vehicle statuses. Don’t quote me on that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That's helpful, thank you.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the feedback on hospital indemnity insurance. My deductible is $2500, OOP personal max $5000, family (me and wife) OOP is $10k, so I'm going to just put the few hundo that the insurance would run into the E-fund. At least there it earns a pittance of interest.

Now I get to do my annual car insurance dance to see if $2400 per year for two adults, two cars, no recent accidents is still a bargain for NJ.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
What's the deal with umbrella insurance? I have it (IMO it's pretty drat cheap for what you get..) but does anyone have anecdotes of people actually using it? Is the lack of use why it's so cheap, or is it because there are a bunch of exclusions and insurance companies get out of it?

I'm just genuinely curious about it. I always hear about folks using car insurance, once in a while home insurance, but never about umbrella.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bank posted:

What's the deal with umbrella insurance? I have it (IMO it's pretty drat cheap for what you get..) but does anyone have anecdotes of people actually using it? Is the lack of use why it's so cheap, or is it because there are a bunch of exclusions and insurance companies get out of it?

I'm just genuinely curious about it. I always hear about folks using car insurance, once in a while home insurance, but never about umbrella.

It's not as common to hear about umbrella insurance being used because it's excess over home and auto liability. Meaning you have to burn through your underlying limits to have the umbrella respond.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bank posted:

It's extremely unlikely that you will have a claim that needs it. It basically just raises the limits on your otherwise valid claim to include the umbrella. So commit a felony? Probably not covered by the underlying policy. Have a really deeply bad day and the young able bodied bread winner of a family of disabled now orphans slips and falls and dies in your house? Good news, that liability policy on your homeowners insurance is limits+a million bucks (or whatever your umbrella is.)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Bank posted:

Like the others have said, it's unlikely you'll need it, but if you do you'll be glad you have it. If you have a pool, trampoline, particularly awesome to climb trees, etc. I would look at it as a necessity.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

13Pandora13 posted:

Like the others have said, it's unlikely you'll need it, but if you do you'll be glad you have it. If you have a pool, trampoline, particularly awesome to climb trees, etc. I would look at it as a necessity.

Or teenagers driving on your policy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Or you’re an old gently caress hauling a horse trailer.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Or you’re an old gently caress hauling a horse trailer.

Aw gently caress that reminds me of a really bad loss I saw on an account once (a horse trailer mfg.). The floor just kind of...gave out, and it went extremely poorly for the horse and several vehicles (and the people in them).

So...yes, concur.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My independent appraiser just emailed me and told me that he and the opposing appraiser have agreed upon a value, and it is nearly $7,000 more than my insurance company offered me.

Eat poo poo Progressive. If you hadn’t been such shitbags you probably could have gotten me to sign off on only 3k more, now you’re out an extra 7 plus both appraisers fees.

This still isn't over but there's some updates.

After agreeing to pay 55k for my truck, which is what both appraisers agreed on (after they gave a value of 56.5k but were told by progressive they were including too much money for aftermarket parts, they reduced their valuation to 55k), Progressive called me and said "lol whoops we told them to include 2k in aftermarket parts which is still too much because your policy only covers 1k so we're giving you 1k less than we told you in 3 different emails plus numerous phone conversations, but just think of it like you're paying your $1000 deductible and not getting screwed out of $1000."

After about 20 minutes of "You told me 55k so many times don't you think you should kinda eat this one since it's your mistake" I ASKED TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER.

After about 20 minutes of the manager making the exact same excuses I said "Listen, I'm having to cover this under my own policy because you sold your customer a policy that is woefully inadequate, how about we cover the truck under my policy and cover the aftermarket parts under his policy." I also said I was going to file a complaint with the Nevada DOI.

So that is now what is happening. So, once again, them being dildos is costing them money, though this time it's only $1500 instead of $7000.

I.e. they tried to give me 49k. Appraiser said lol no its worth 56.5k. Progressive forced them to reduce their appraisal to 55k. I am now getting the full 56.5k.

Probably, anyway. The liability release they sent me to sign was objectively wrong because they tried to make it seem like their client's insurance paid out the entire amount when it has actually mostly been paid out by my own policy (which is also Progressive, if you've been following along). So I haven't gotten the last 2500 they owe me, but I have gotten the rest of it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Insurance options through my wife's employer are making my head spin this morning. Our insurance through my job (which I don't have anymore) had a family deductible of $4,000 with us paying 20% coinsurance after that. We're about to have a baby, so we'll have some large expenses early next year for delivery/hospital fees.

Our options for next year are:

1. 2700 individual/ 8100 family deductible, with 40% coinsurance after that (most expensive), 4000/12000 out of pocket max
2. 6600 individual/ 13,200 family with 20% coinsurance after that (slightly less expensive), 8550, 17100 out of pocket max
3. 6900 individual/ 13,800 family with insurance paying 100% after deductible is met. (least expensive with HSA), out of pocket max is same as deductible

Option 1 has a lower overall deductibles, but paying 40% after doesn't sound like a great deal, especially compared to my plan from earlier this year that had a lower deductible and lower coinsurance payments.

Option 2 has a higher deductible to hit but then it's 20% from then on. The deductible is only $300/600 less than the "high deductible" plan that pays 100% after our deductible is met.

Option 3 has the highest deductible but the out of pocket max is the deductible.

I'm finding that none of these plans seems all that great compared to my plan from earlier this year. Doing the math on out of pocket max plus premiums, for individual, the out of pocket max on 1 is the least, while for Fam Option 3 is the least. I'm thinking Option 1 is our best bet because she'll have the pregnancy costs and she has more regular doctor visits throughout the year so her individual out of pocket will likely get hit early on. Sure am glad that planning for medical care is such an easy undertaking. Am I overlooking anything important here?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jolo posted:

Insurance options through my wife's employer are making my head spin this morning. Our insurance through my job (which I don't have anymore) had a family deductible of $4,000 with us paying 20% coinsurance after that. We're about to have a baby, so we'll have some large expenses early next year for delivery/hospital fees.

Our options for next year are:

1. 2700 individual/ 8100 family deductible, with 40% coinsurance after that (most expensive), 4000/12000 out of pocket max
2. 6600 individual/ 13,200 family with 20% coinsurance after that (slightly less expensive), 8550, 17100 out of pocket max
3. 6900 individual/ 13,800 family with insurance paying 100% after deductible is met. (least expensive with HSA), out of pocket max is same as deductible

Option 1 has a lower overall deductibles, but paying 40% after doesn't sound like a great deal, especially compared to my plan from earlier this year that had a lower deductible and lower coinsurance payments.

Option 2 has a higher deductible to hit but then it's 20% from then on. The deductible is only $300/600 less than the "high deductible" plan that pays 100% after our deductible is met.

Option 3 has the highest deductible but the out of pocket max is the deductible.

I'm finding that none of these plans seems all that great compared to my plan from earlier this year. Doing the math on out of pocket max plus premiums, for individual, the out of pocket max on 1 is the least, while for Fam Option 3 is the least. I'm thinking Option 1 is our best bet because she'll have the pregnancy costs and she has more regular doctor visits throughout the year so her individual out of pocket will likely get hit early on. Sure am glad that planning for medical care is such an easy undertaking. Am I overlooking anything important here?

1 and 3 seem like the obvious choices. What I love about health insurance is this is all couched in "of covered expenses." Do they cover your procedure? Only one way to find out! These are missing the employee contribution for the premium and any employer contribution to the HSA to make the math work out, but I bet that Option 1 is the winner for the year given an uncomplicated hospital birth is still going to rack up thousands in bills for your wife alone. One thing to do is literally call your wife's OB and ask about the plan (know its exact name or group number) and the expected billing for an "uncomplicated pregnancy, and uncomplicated vaginal birth at hospital X." For example, my rando cigna plan they just said it was all batch billed for the pregnancy+birth as a whole, so there weren't per-visit copays. They just collected my deductible on the initial intake visit and that was the last I heard from the OB for money. I believe she got paid $4000 by the insurance.

Another thing that you will be hit with are the babies bills, which immediately go onto its own $2700 deductible.

If your wife or baby are at some kind of high risk for a complicated birth or a NICU stay (and I hope you are not, deeply), option 3 will immediately become the clear winner - because you WILL hit your out of pocket max if the baby winds up in the nicu.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also at least some of the time in the hospital after birth is going to be "billed" to the baby as well so you'll also have his/her deducible in addition to your wifes.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond. We are expecting a normal pregnancy but you never know what life will throw at you. The total out of pocket max plus annual premiums for option 1 ends up being $600 more than option 3 so even if we end up with a lot of bills due to nicu or some other reason the difference paid is not much more.

Her office contributes the same amount to whichever policy is chosen and doesn't contribute to an HSA if we have one.

Thanks again for the help, hope you're both doing well.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

This is a very basic question, to the point where it may have already been answered, but I didn't see anything in the past few pages. I think what I really want is a "[Tell] me about a time your house burnt down" thread or something.

I'm a relatively new homeowner, cross shopping hazard insurance, and when setting limits, it occurred to me that I'm pretty naïve as to the actual mechanics of how all this works, having really never had an auto or home insured loss.

How exactly does homeowners insurance pay out in the case of a catastrophic loss? Lets say I own a SFH that is insured against fire (or earthquake, whatever), which then occurs, and everyone involved agrees the house and contents are a complete loss (no injury though, just stuff).

How does the house get built back? I assume they don't try to rebuild the exact same house/layout/etc, so is there just a set amount of what that particular house would cost to rebuild and then you're on your own to find a builder and rebuild it? Or do you just get a check for that amount? Or do they send out their contracted builders and reimburse them? What if you want to make changes to the rebuilding plans?

What about stuff inside the house? I'm replacement value insured, so I assume in this case I produce a list of stuff that was in the house (and receipts and such if possible) and then what? They cut a check? I get a giant Amazon box from my insurance company? Or is there some formula to determine the value of stuff inside a house? I feel like, even with a list of possessions, I'm not going to have an inventory of every random thing I have in my house.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Assuming you're not in a really wonky situation, your home (specifically the "structure") is insured to replacement cost. However if you choose to cash out, your insurance company will likely only pay you the Actual Cash Value. Contents coverage works similarly. Usually your insurance company will issue you a check up front for the ACV, then will reimburse you the rest up to the replacement cost (subject to any applicable policy limits) once you provide proof of actually replacing the item. You'll need to send them an itemized list of what you lost to get the ball rolling.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One big thing to check about the contents of your house is there's limits on practically everything. If you have any guns, jewelry, precious metals, collectibles, more than the bare minimum of electronics, etc, it won't be covered or will barely be covered.

The other is choosing whether you want replacement cost or ACV.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
How likely is it for a medical billing department to not notice that you've done a debit card chargeback on them?

So far the urgent care chain in question has not noticed -- I called this other day and they reported that I simply have a zero balance with them. So what happens next? Will it take until they tabulate all their numbers at the end of the month or something to notice that something is off?

How likely is it that they never notice, if they're a sketchy urgent care chain in the first place, one apparently in the habit of issuing hosed up charges to see which patients don't fight back?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Happy Thread posted:

How likely is it for a medical billing department to not notice that you've done a debit card chargeback on them?

So far the urgent care chain in question has not noticed -- I called this other day and they reported that I simply have a zero balance with them. So what happens next? Will it take until they tabulate all their numbers at the end of the month or something to notice that something is off?

How likely is it that they never notice, if they're a sketchy urgent care chain in the first place, one apparently in the habit of issuing hosed up charges to see which patients don't fight back?
Approximately 0%. It might take them many months to notice, but they will eventually.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Any reason in particular to not wait it out to stall for time? Wouldn't they have to send me some warning, perhaps a new invoice since the first charge failed, before sending it to collections? whenever it is they get around to noticing

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Charge backs aren't just a negative adjustment on their statement from the bank. It's a whole thing where they are given a chance to refute your claim. They will do this with ease given you saw them in person and have signed paperwork. The bank will then give them your money and send you a bill for it.

If you are alleging they billed you for services not rendered you should be preparing for a small claims lawsuit.

What does your insurance say? Do you have a coded bill? Demand one from the urgent care place.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Insurance says that clinic is out of network. The clinic promised me they weren't before I went in, and I trusted them. Insurance says it was on them to be truthful about that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Happy Thread posted:

Insurance says that clinic is out of network. The clinic promised me they weren't before I went in, and I trusted them. Insurance says it was on them to be truthful about that.

That's a you probablem unfortunately. Unless you have in writing that they were in network for your exact plan that conversation never happened. Does your health plan website say they are in network. Had you worked with the urgent care on the bill it likely would have been negotiable but unfortunately you've played your hand too soon and they have a better one. (Your signed financial responsibility form.)

Get a coded bill from them and ask for their cash price list. Compare and contrast and mea culpa.

I am not passing judgment on health care in America here, just stating facts as they exist.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Happy Thread posted:

Any reason in particular to not wait it out to stall for time? Wouldn't they have to send me some warning, perhaps a new invoice since the first charge failed, before sending it to collections? whenever it is they get around to noticing
They're just as likely to refer the whole matter to collections as they are to deal with re-invoicing you. It's much, much easier for you to deal with the original creditor (the clinic) than a collections agency. If it's a couple hundred bucks, it's unlikely they'll come after you for the money, but it will tank your credit for several years.

You're best off dealing with it proactively by negotiating with the clinic and settling your bill. Call the clinic and tell them the bill is too high and you don't think you need to pay that much. Repeat until they offer something you can afford. Pay that and put the matter behind you.

Is it fair to you? No. It isn't. It sucks and I'm sorry this bullshit happened to you. It's a painful life lesson. If it makes you feel any better, posting about it here probably helps out at least one goon from getting shafted like you did.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I was signing on for benefits with my agency on contract, I didn't realize until I put 2 and 2 together that there were taking out $880 a month for health insurance! I'm totally healthy, I haven't been sick in a really long time and don't take any medications. What the HELL. I have to take at least 3 weeks vacation to qualify for open enrollment. Isn't that some bullshit? It was lovely health insurance too, like bronze level. Anyway, for some one in early mid 30s with no health problems how much should i pay as an american?

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

I just had a strange call with my health insurance company and maybe someone that knows about this stuff can help me understand why.

Last week I had a biopsy that was (obviously) from a referral and approved for payment and all that. Yesterday a woman called and said she was with my health insurer, and told me she was providing verbal notice my biopsy was approved, and gave me a 7-digit authorization number telling me it was valid for six weeks. Then she seemed in a hurry to get off the phone before I thought to ask what I needed that for or why she was calling.

I've obviously gone to the doctor before, but never had anyone call with an authorization number before. Does anyone know why she would call to provide that number? I don't see a scam angle because there wasn't any personal info asked for or anything. But I woke up today feeling like this is a hustle or something, just because it was so weird. Medicaid, and in WA state if that matters.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

follow that camel!! posted:

I just had a strange call with my health insurance company and maybe someone that knows about this stuff can help me understand why.

Last week I had a biopsy that was (obviously) from a referral and approved for payment and all that. Yesterday a woman called and said she was with my health insurer, and told me she was providing verbal notice my biopsy was approved, and gave me a 7-digit authorization number telling me it was valid for six weeks. Then she seemed in a hurry to get off the phone before I thought to ask what I needed that for or why she was calling.

I've obviously gone to the doctor before, but never had anyone call with an authorization number before. Does anyone know why she would call to provide that number? I don't see a scam angle because there wasn't any personal info asked for or anything. But I woke up today feeling like this is a hustle or something, just because it was so weird. Medicaid, and in WA state if that matters.

Call the number on your card and ask. If they're confused ask if anyone has accessed your account recently, as you're concerned about identity theft. Then call the doctors office and ask for the billing department. It's probably just someone was supposed to give you that number and forgot.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

I was signing on for benefits with my agency on contract, I didn't realize until I put 2 and 2 together that there were taking out $880 a month for health insurance! I'm totally healthy, I haven't been sick in a really long time and don't take any medications. What the HELL. I have to take at least 3 weeks vacation to qualify for open enrollment. Isn't that some bullshit? It was lovely health insurance too, like bronze level. Anyway, for some one in early mid 30s with no health problems how much should i pay as an american?

That sounds in the ballpark for sticker price but it sounds like your employer isn't subsidizing your premium at all. Are they small or are you not full time?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

That sounds in the ballpark for sticker price but it sounds like your employer isn't subsidizing your premium at all. Are they small or are you not full time?
OP is a contract employee. No health insurance needed, regardless of size.

Best advice is to find W2 work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you are a 1099 you should definitely explore options in the exchanges.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Thanatosian posted:

OP is a contract employee. No health insurance needed, regardless of size.

Best advice is to find W2 work.

W2 work would be a massive paycut. Yea part of my income is 1099. I was going to call United Healthcare after my 3 weeks off to qualify for open enrollment begin. Blue Cross seems like it's always very high. These agencies seem to the lion's share out of my check to pay for healthcare I never use.

By 'the exchanges' are you referring to 'the market?' I just am very tired of going through these companies for insurance for huge sums, and get it on my own.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am likely about to change jobs, and my new employer offers a choice of a Kaiser plan, or two Regence plans; one of the Regence plans is better for in-network, the other for out-of-network, but the Kaiser plan seems waaaaayyyy better than either. Is Kaiser good? I know I'm stuck using Kaiser doctors; I'm in Washington state, and walking distance from a couple of their hospitals/medical centers.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thanatosian posted:

I am likely about to change jobs, and my new employer offers a choice of a Kaiser plan, or two Regence plans; one of the Regence plans is better for in-network, the other for out-of-network, but the Kaiser plan seems waaaaayyyy better than either. Is Kaiser good? I know I'm stuck using Kaiser doctors; I'm in Washington state, and walking distance from a couple of their hospitals/medical centers.

People on Kaiser seem to love or hate it. It seems like the quality of care is great for the price you pay. Some negatives I’ve read about are that the doctors are over scheduled so they don’t have much time to spend with you and that Kaiser can be super picky to sending you to specialists outside of the Kaiser network.

Take that with a grain of salt though since those are just my second hand observations. I’ve also read the Kaiser is very regional so you’re best bet is to try to find someone who has Kaiser in your state to talk about it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This still isn't over but there's some updates.

After agreeing to pay 55k for my truck, which is what both appraisers agreed on (after they gave a value of 56.5k but were told by progressive they were including too much money for aftermarket parts, they reduced their valuation to 55k), Progressive called me and said "lol whoops we told them to include 2k in aftermarket parts which is still too much because your policy only covers 1k so we're giving you 1k less than we told you in 3 different emails plus numerous phone conversations, but just think of it like you're paying your $1000 deductible and not getting screwed out of $1000."

After about 20 minutes of "You told me 55k so many times don't you think you should kinda eat this one since it's your mistake" I ASKED TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER.

After about 20 minutes of the manager making the exact same excuses I said "Listen, I'm having to cover this under my own policy because you sold your customer a policy that is woefully inadequate, how about we cover the truck under my policy and cover the aftermarket parts under his policy." I also said I was going to file a complaint with the Nevada DOI.

So that is now what is happening. So, once again, them being dildos is costing them money, though this time it's only $1500 instead of $7000.

I.e. they tried to give me 49k. Appraiser said lol no its worth 56.5k. Progressive forced them to reduce their appraisal to 55k. I am now getting the full 56.5k.

Probably, anyway. The liability release they sent me to sign was objectively wrong because they tried to make it seem like their client's insurance paid out the entire amount when it has actually mostly been paid out by my own policy (which is also Progressive, if you've been following along). So I haven't gotten the last 2500 they owe me, but I have gotten the rest of it.

This is now over (the property damage part, the injury part will likely not be over for a very long time), and I got compensated for the full amount for the truck & modifications plus replacement cost for the many, many, many thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment damaged/destroyed in the crash. Plus repair cost for my phone screen that was shattered. Plus the dash cam that was destroyed in the process of recording the crash.

They were surprisingly acquiescent on the personal property damage stuff. I sent them pictures of the damage and the receipts for what I paid and they coughed up 100%. Some of the stuff was totally loving destroyed and obviously they're gonna have to pay out on that but some of it is (I think) repairable or even still useable (with cosmetic damage and likely a vastly reduced lifespan) and still has value.

I really wonder if Progressive tries to consistently lowball people or if this was just because my truck was an unusual combination of being uncommon/in pristine condition/being well & significantly modified. Normally I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was the latter but the fact that they wouldn't remove an obvious outlier from their comps makes me lean towards the former.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My sister's family has Kaiser and loves it but the regional thing previously mentioned may come into play, they live in the bay area where Kaiser is based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hello all! I was pointed to this thread, and just wanted to ask a quick question. Do any of you have or consider Hanover insurance to be decent? I've currently had Allstate for 20+ years and I found out that I'm paying way more for car insurance than I should be.

My new insurance agent (who works with multiple companies) recommended Hanover for my auto and home. In the end combined it would be about $800 cheaper a year.

From what I can see it seems to be legit, I just don't want to buy super cut-rate insurance and get bitten by it later.

Thanks!