Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

this is false.

don't get me wrong, it's rare, but don't pull "impossible, full stop" when it's not

its not impossible but you can't count on it happening. ever. so might as well act like it's impossible anyhow and be aware of the high probability of your boss lying about it to your face, cuz that's a routine dealio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
gently caress all bosses.scumbags also i need to write a proposal anyone have a good template? lmzo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

barkbell posted:

gently caress all bosses.scumbags also i need to write a proposal anyone have a good template? lmzo

send the proposal to both your boss and the recruiter

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Captain Foo posted:

send the proposal to both your boss and the recruiter

hell ya

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a modest proposal

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
In addition to moving across the country starting my first FAANG job around 1.5 months ago I'm also prepping to go back to school and get a master's while working :shepface:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Decided to post the following set of questions I've been using for more recent interviews and which served me relatively well:
  • What fraction of the team works remotely? (if you want to be remote in non-covid time, aim for 50% or more)
  • Are you aiming for sustainability, acquisition, or making it rich in an IPO? (this impacts how far in the future they see. Also if they remain private and offer equity, do they do buybacks? )
  • What can you tell me about how you build teams? Any objectives for diversity or culture? Do you hire juniors, seniors, specific proportions?
  • Is your department perceived as a cost center or as a revenue center?
  • What was a recent project your team was part of that failed, and what lessons did you collectively draw from it?
  • Do you generally feel this is a high or low trust environment? (better asked to lower level employees vs. how management treats em)
  • how do you strike a balance between usual product concerns (going fast, shipping things) and engineering concerns (refactoring, tech debt, handling)
  • What are the current challenges you see for your company / team? (I like to ask about inflection points in company size if they're hiring because they're growing their team fast)
  • Which role and what expectations would you have for this position / someone like me?
  • What are opportunities for growth in the position or learning/mentoring that are available?
  • What's the pager burden like? How are the rotations organized?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MononcQc posted:

Decided to post the following set of questions I've been using for more recent interviews and which served me relatively well:
  • What fraction of the team works remotely? (if you want to be remote in non-covid time, aim for 50% or more)
  • Are you aiming for sustainability, acquisition, or making it rich in an IPO? (this impacts how far in the future they see. Also if they remain private and offer equity, do they do buybacks? )
  • What can you tell me about how you build teams? Any objectives for diversity or culture? Do you hire juniors, seniors, specific proportions?
  • Is your department perceived as a cost center or as a revenue center?
  • What was a recent project your team was part of that failed, and what lessons did you collectively draw from it?
  • Do you generally feel this is a high or low trust environment? (better asked to lower level employees vs. how management treats em)
  • how do you strike a balance between usual product concerns (going fast, shipping things) and engineering concerns (refactoring, tech debt, handling)
  • What are the current challenges you see for your company / team? (I like to ask about inflection points in company size if they're hiring because they're growing their team fast)
  • Which role and what expectations would you have for this position / someone like me?
  • What are opportunities for growth in the position or learning/mentoring that are available?
  • What's the pager burden like? How are the rotations organized?

:emptyquote:

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

thanks for the reality check, as i expected posting here just confirmed what friends have been telling me. now i just have to actually take action, but at least i've got some reassurance now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

just finished interviewing with 3 companies for the past week, waiting to hear back now - wish me luck and all that

I'm always a bit pessimistic b/c who would want to employ me but I'm giving it 50% chance I'll get an offer

prolly should fire off a couple more cvs tomorrow, even though it's a bit too close to christmas

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
literally cannot imagine being in a position to make a dozen demands of the sort of company i should work for

only "do you QA the drat software before releasing it on the world," I always ask that one and the results can be enlightening

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Gazpacho posted:

literally cannot imagine being in a position to make a dozen demands of the sort of company i should work for

only "do you QA the drat software before releasing it on the world," I always ask that one and the results can be enlightening

this is a really toxic attitude that is probably hurting you in interviews. You are not at the interviewer's mercy, they are at yours. They need your labor and you could work anywhere.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

this is a really toxic attitude that is probably hurting you in interviews. You are not at the interviewer's mercy, they are at yours. They need your labor and you could work anywhere.

this is absolutely true, unless youre desperate

thats why you dont job search when youre desperate, you do it when youre already employed and can tell the company youre interviewing with to go gently caress themselves without risking your ability to eat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Corla Plankun posted:

MononcQc can work anywhere. employers do not react to my history the way they react to his.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my award letter today. equity and bonus were good, salary bump was less than last year despite higher ratings. I assume that that's because I went from below market reference point to above, but still a bit disappointing. overall the numbers are good though

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

got my award letter today. equity and bonus were good, salary bump was less than last year despite higher ratings. I assume that that's because I went from below market reference point to above, but still a bit disappointing. overall the numbers are good though

goog?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

MononcQc can work anywhere. employers do not react to my history the way they react to his.

sure, but no one said you could work EVERYWHERE — given what you’re describing, you’re right that you probably wont get hired by a FAANG before Christmas. but you can work ANYWHERE. no given employer has a hold over you. they need you as much as you need them, even if the way that need manifests is completely different.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yep

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

well I can work in places that care for remote workers and are willing to deal with canadians but I get your point.

The thing is that most interviews have a period of time where you can ask questions, usually near the end. I don't run through all of them, but I made a go-to list to go through when they give time for questions and there's one or two you might ask. If you get through a painful slog with like 5-6 interviews or interviewers, it becomes easier to get answers from the whole list, or to get responses from various people to contrast and compare.

If you really care hard about agile or whatever, it's legit to ask about how they run project management. If you're gonna be a on-call, do ask about the call rotation, what it's looking like, what they think their challenges are, etc.

You're entitled to information if you're gonna work there and that continuously hopping jobs look bad on your resume. In fact, if they are annoyed at you asking questions about the job they might pay you to do when it comes to poo poo like "what are your expectations of someone in that role" or asking about growth opportunities, that's a super good red flag to heed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
fwiw from the interviewer side, asking questions that make it sound like you care about things like code quality and team cohesion and working-smarter-not-harder makes you look better as a prospective hire than if you give the impression of not giving a gently caress because a job's a job.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i have said yes to hiring people based primarily on the questions they asked

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ditto

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve only ever hired interns but I have definitely passed over the ones who didn’t seem engaged, and not asking questions (or at mentioning things they would have asked if I hadn’t already answered them) is a great way to seem unengaged

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if that's what gave me the edge over my former coworker, who apparently also applied for my current job and was just about as overqualified for it as I am

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah i learned it’s important as an interviewee, if they bring something up that you intended to ask, make sure you say “oh I’m glad you mentioned that, I was going to ask if” whatever

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I got a rejection from one of the jobs I was interviewing for, to be fair the technical interview was a bit of a trainwreck - lots of questions about unity, c# and android when the job was advertised as C++ with some C and Python

Compared with the other interviews it was a lot more chaotic so, well, maybe I dodged a bullet there? Still sucks, they're in a good location and the pay was good too.

e: and no I don't have professional experience with c# or unity and my android experience is fairly limited which I've been clear on from the start

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 10, 2020

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Private Speech posted:

I got a rejection from one of the jobs I was interviewing for, to be fair the technical interview was a bit of a trainwreck - lots of questions about unity, c# and android when the job was advertised as C++ with some C and Python

Compared with the other interviews it was a lot more chaotic so, well, maybe I dodged a bullet there? Still sucks, they're in a good location and the pay was good too.

e: and no I don't have professional experience with c# or unity and my android experience is fairly limited which I've been clear on from the start

sounds like you dodged a game shaped bullet there

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

game-adjacent

they did offer a decent salary though

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My favorite pretending I'm interested question is "what's piece of work have you done here are you most proud of?" and it's also a dead giveaway if the work is hyper-boring.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a bunch of questions written down in a notebook when i interview and I write down the answers they give to them. it lets me compare companies really well and makes you look very prepared even though it's no more work than just reading the OP of this thread

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

also same

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ugh, even the second set of interviews hasn't worked out, and this time there was no issue from the company side (except maybe the unix command thing I guess)

sucks because that was a set of 5 interviews and a coding exercise and that's a fair amount of time, especially with 4 more for the other position

feedback said I was an impressive candidate on a very strong shortlist and that they'll try to stay in touch about other opportunities

ah well

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 11, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have to think that the test of the fifth interview was to hire only the people sensible enough to tell them to poo poo or get off the pot already when called.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have to think that the test of the fifth interview was to hire only the people sensible enough to tell them to poo poo or get off the pot already when called.

"You have how many steps? Yeah that's me out"

Incidently I had a talk with a hiring manager who casually said the interview had four steps:

Talk to recruiter (20 min) ->
Talk to technical hiring manager (1h) ->
Take home (2h) ->
Technical interview with five people including a live coding thing (5h) ->
Interview with CTO (1h)

I just can't

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

pretty much every interview for me within the past 6 mo or so has been like this. i feel like the interview process is just getting longer across the board

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The whole thing's a garbage fire race to the bottom vicious circle. No one knows how to interview, so they focus on the things they can measure, which include difficulty and the amount of effort involved. That's fine for FAANG companies cause they have an effectively infinite candidate pool, but everyone else would just shooting themselves in the foot if tech weren't the only way a lot of people can get decently paid in our capitalist hellworld.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Incidently I had a talk with a hiring manager who casually said the interview had four steps:

Take home (2h) ->
Interview with CTO (1h)

I just can't

this is pretty normal and seems fine, except for live coding

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Plorkyeran posted:

Add me to this pile of people.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Take home (2h) ->
Interview with CTO (1h)

I just can't

I've had to repeatedly go through these steps even at companies that knew me and reached out to me to do that stuff.

Even being friends with people there and having a company reach out to you has similar steps. They might omit the take home and maybe give you a simpler technical interview (i.e. they lob a soft ball live coding exercise, or replace it with more interviews to talk to people), but being on a short list with people you know has mostly been helpful to skip the resume line to that interview process and avoid the recruiter talk more than anything.

Now that poo poo is remote though, they all seem very content to break up the 5h session over many days or whatever so you don't need to take time off. My last round of interview required 4 days off and coordinating travel with 3 different companies to avoid having to fly to the bay area 3 separate times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Take home (2h) ->
Interview with CTO (1h)

I just can't

what's the actual problem here? i'd push back against the takehome if it is "build this thing, it should take x hours" because i don't trust companies not to waste my time, but if they want to do a screen share or timed hackerrank thing or whatever as a screening step that's fine