Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Solitair posted:

this looks like a job for eurus holmes

Junko wishes she were as good at despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012
Also,

Solitair posted:

You don't believe in the power of fiction?

Yeah, doesn't this go against Tumugi's whole shtick up to this point, about real fiction and bringing despair to the real world?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
That was her acting out the Junko "character". This is the "real" Tsumugi talking, I imagine. Or maybe she's just being contrarian.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
'Oh poo poo oh gently caress these losers are actually onto me, how do I talk my way out of this I am so getting fired'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Tsumugi never wanted despair. That's just the role she's playing for the story she's creating. The heroes need a villain to defeat with the power of hope so she gave them one. But now that they're rejecting hope too she's getting more desperate.

If she really was willing to have the game end in despair she could've just let them waste away after Kokichi played his trick when he let them believe he was the mastermind. Instead she wrote a new, rushed Flashback Light about Hope's Peak in order to give them hope again, which worked.

StolenTeeth
Oct 11, 2016

Solitair posted:

this looks like a job for eurus holmes

Despair Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Have your male main character confess his love for another male main character, then immediately throw the confessor down a tube into Super Hell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've seen theories that Tsumugi wanted to write her own plot, but Kaede talking everyone into inaction at the start derailed the plot she had in mind. So she had to commit a murder and kill a returning character, something that Monokuma seems to suggest the audience (or at least the rest of Team Danganronpa) didn't like. But things get back on track for a while, until you have things like Angie breaking the Flashback Lights or Kokichi declaring himself the mastermind.

So ultimately, they just bring back the old plot threads from previous seasons to try and salvage this one since Tsumugi is a hack fraud. :v:

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

StolenTeeth posted:

Have your male main character confess his love for another male main character, then immediately throw the confessor down a tube into Super Hell.

This is both :allears: and :nallears: but for different reasons

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I've seen theories that Tsumugi wanted to write her own plot, but Kaede talking everyone into inaction at the start derailed the plot she had in mind. So she had to commit a murder and kill a returning character, something that Monokuma seems to suggest the audience (or at least the rest of Team Danganronpa) didn't like. But things get back on track for a while, until you have things like Angie breaking the Flashback Lights or Kokichi declaring himself the mastermind.

So ultimately, they just bring back the old plot threads from previous seasons to try and salvage this one since Tsumugi is a hack fraud. :v:

Kaede killing Rantaro would have worked the game fine, Tsumugi just had to step in and course correct once Kaede missed.

The problem is that Monokuma was forced to kick the time limit into play when nobody did anything, which was a crime of boredom.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i could swear that kaito's hair looks like the logo for something, i just can't remember what.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Doc Hawkins posted:

i could swear that kaito's hair looks like the logo for something, i just can't remember what.

Doc Hawkins' Hairpieces and Distillery? :hmmyes:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

StolenTeeth posted:

The killing game was purgatory. Kokichi is now the Ultimate Lumberjack.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

VIDEO: The Last Trial Video

This game is gonna keep going!

And this class trial ain't over yet either!

Come on, even if we keep going back and forth...

I won't let it be Voting Time yet!

We're going to abstain from voting, we don't have to play this rigged game... I'm going to abandon the entire thing... I'm going to end this killing game.

I'm...abandoning this game. I won't play your game anymore, Monokuma.

Now start the vote.

Best Hangman's Gambit ever!

If you're going to complain...perhaps you should just stop watching.

Just give up already and start Voting Time.

All four of us will abstain from voting... So you'll be the only one who survives.

Are you okay with that, Keebo? Is your inner voice telling you that's okay? Does the outside world really want that!? Do they want Danganronpa to end!?

...Hngh!?!?

Keebo...what's wrong?

Haha! That's what I thought.

That...is the outside world's...decision!

...What?

Isn't that right, Keebo?

Keebo!?

Keebo! Get a hold of yourself!

That's not possible. The Keebo you see there isn't the one you know.

It's cuz he did such a silly thing that he's feeling the audience's anger now.

What do you mean? What's happening to Keebo?

Since Keebo kept defying the audience, they took a vote and decided...

His personality was erasedl?

H-How cruel can you guys be? How long are you gonna play with our lives!?

But that's the decision of the outside world.

That's what they said.

So it doesn't matter how much you fight. You can't change the outside world.

Wh-What did you say?

So do you still want to throw your lives away? Even if it changes nothing?

Gh... Nrgh...!

Keebo!

Keebo!?

The audio quality on Keebo's lines is significantly degraded.

D-Don't say that! You survived this far!

I'm...sorry... I could not fight with you...until the end... But...your choice is not wrong... The real...enemy...is...

So, please...use me...t-to change... To change...the...world...

Keebo...

Keebo! Stay with us!

That makes me sad, too, y'know? He was a character I created.

But this is the end. The outside world rejects your decision.

So no matter how you use your lives, it won't change anything.

Keebo gave us this one chance!

If Keebo is doing what the outside world is telling him, we just have to convince him...

...Kh!?

You can even...change the world.

You're going to throw your lives away...for those who have died?

Even if we die, it's not the end!

Our friends who died...gave us their love. And we changed because of that. If we can inspire change in others, then that love will live on.

That's why...I'm going to change the world. As long as I have their love, I will change it!

Th-That's right! We're not gonna just be fiction!

Shuichi, you can change this world. Because...you're Kaito's sidekick.

There's no way...you can persuade them like that.

NEW MUSIC: FINAL A.A.

This is when Mean difficulty stops loving around.

NEW MUSIC: HYPER FINAL A.A.

Maybe, but I don't think Kaede would have gone with the program either.

On this playthrough, this triple-beat formation gets me every single time.

You ever repeat a word so often that it starts to lose its meaning?

Normally it's these couplets that really trip me up, but for some reason I was totally prepared for them this time around.

NEW MUSIC: HYPER FINAL ULTRA A.A.

Even a "no miss" compilation of all the A.A. segments in this game missed in this final part.

At the end, these button-mashing prompts barrage you until the segment ends, one way or the other. You WILL eat poo poo if you've only been mashing one button up 'til now.

What...just happened?

...Keebo?

The outside world won't let Danganronpa end.

Puhuhu... I think hopeful Keebo should vote for despairing Tsumugi, without a doubt!

I don't know if it's possible to vote for someone here, or if it would lead to a bad ending. Maybe if I need more Monocoins I'll give it a shot later.

I-I didn't vote. That was the right thing to do, right?

The three of us might be penalized for abstaining to vote...but what's going to happen to Keebo and Tsumugi?

Then what about Tsumugi?

If she had cast one vote for Keebo, then it would be a tie, but—

Oh, there's no need to worry about that. I didn't vote either.

...What?

That's not it. We're friends, aren't we? There's no way I'd abandon you guys.

Puhuhu... I turned over a new leaf. I'm not lying. It's the truth.

So since the four of us abstained from voting, only Keebo's vote counts...

So in other words, the winner is hope.

But Keebo said earlier that he'd sacrifice himself and take the punishment, right?

Hold it! Why are you punishing Keebo?

If Keebo survives, then there's no need for him to be sacrif—

It doesn't work like that. He needs to follow through on his words.

Th—That's not fair! Are you twisting the rules againl?

Maybe it's a bit forced...but that's fiction for you, right?

Well, since I didn't vote, I'll be killed with you guys...

But I'll accept my death.

Even if it's just fiction, I gave my life to make it.

Hope has won but the lone survivor, Keebo, remains trapped...

Now he'll challenge the killing game anew. Will he be able to grasp true hope...?

Yeah, an ending like that can work, right?

It's plain to see you're a hack.

But...this is bad. At this rate, our deaths will be meaningless!

Well, we already know the outcome, but we should follow protocol...

Solitair fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 2, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If it wasn't obvious, for those 'don't play' segments, the timer is vastly reduced.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Clyp won't let me freeload anymore, so the new music links to someone else's upload of the songs on Youtube right now. Not sure what I'm gonna do about audio stuff in the future.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
"This guy should have died instead of Kaede" is probably my single favourite line in the whole game because it's word for word exactly something I said after chapter 1 and it was like having my own words thrown back at me.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I'm not sure of exactly how many of these made it into the trial videos, but my favourite thing about the scrolling audience comments is the single very dedicated Shuichi fan who periodically says things like this:

I love Shuichi <3
Mmm... Shuichi’s eyes ^q^
Mmm... Shuichi's nose <3
Mmm... Shuichi's despair <3
i wanna protect Shuichi <3
Shuichi, look this way! <3
i wanna see the color of shuichi's blood <3
Shuichi looks yummy <3
Shuichi is mine! <3
i wanna break Shuichi's fingers <3

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
"Together, we're going to end DanganRonpa" is one of the best lines ever from this series.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The fan comments are all extremely on point. The developers/translators really hit the mark there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Reveilled posted:

"This guy should have died instead of Kaede" is probably my single favourite line in the whole game because it's word for word exactly something I said after chapter 1 and it was like having my own words thrown back at me.
Yeah, only two games have ever made me simultaneously laugh and cry during their finales: Nier Automata and DRV3, especially that line.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
They totally knew what they were doing, the self-awareness shown in this chapter is amazing. The Kaede twist in chapter one was like a punch in the gut for me. I felt personally "betrayed" by Spike Chunsoft for their misleading marketing, but I had gotten over it at this point. Then I realized that was completely intentional. Amazing.

And now for something completely different: The demo for this game has a decidedly different feel after playing through the main game. I can't recall any other game I've played where the demo has narrative relevance. I encourage people to take a look at it, it's not very long.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

quote:

I am not that fanatic a fan of anything, but I absolutely felt convinced during this trial in my own playthrough that the devs were sick to death of the franchise and their fans and only did DangV3 so they could take a massive poo poo on not only them but anyone who enjoyed any Danganronpa game during this final trial, while also thourouhly burning any bridges that might lead to more installments in the franchise by others.

It is not many games that directly try to out you as a heartless bastard rear end in a top hat for enjoying it (except obviously the Game That Shall Not be Named)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Koboje posted:

I am not that fanatic a fan of anything, but I absolutely felt convinced during this trial in my own playthrough that the devs were sick to death of the franchise and their fans and only did DangV3 so they could take a massive poo poo on not only them but anyone who enjoyed any Danganronpa game during this final trial, while also thourouhly burning any bridges that might lead to more installments in the franchise by others.

It is not many games that directly try to out you as a heartless bastard rear end in a top hat for enjoying it (except obviously the Game That Shall Not be Named)

Yeah this whole trial is full of "why do you sick freaks want us to keep making the same game about kids killing each other?!". It's amazing.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The moral of this story is that cosplay is evil.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah this whole trial is full of "why do you sick freaks want us to keep making the same game about kids killing each other?!". It's amazing.

"You need to grow up and play Ace Attorney and get your thrills watching adults kill each other!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rith posted:

I'm not sure of exactly how many of these made it into the trial videos, but my favourite thing about the scrolling audience comments is the single very dedicated Shuichi fan who periodically says things like this:

I love Shuichi <3
Mmm... Shuichi’s eyes ^q^
Mmm... Shuichi's nose <3
Mmm... Shuichi's despair <3
i wanna protect Shuichi <3
Shuichi, look this way! <3
i wanna see the color of shuichi's blood <3
Shuichi looks yummy <3
Shuichi is mine! <3
i wanna break Shuichi's fingers <3

I see that /v/ still exists in this fictional future.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Koboje posted:

OK, now you have to name it. I have no idea what game you're talking about.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Undertale, if I had to guess.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

...! posted:

OK, now you have to name it. I have no idea what game you're talking about.

Could also be Spec Ops: The Line.

Really it's kind of weird to Voldemort a game.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Undertale, if I had to guess.

Yeah thats just what instantly came to mind for me about games calling you out, but i am sure many games actually have something to that effect. Also some places/people have REALLY strong feelings about Undertale or its mention. (naturally i should not even have alluded to it)

Koboje fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 11, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Reveilled posted:

Yup. Every time people mentioned this, I was just waiting for this moment. Like, the game is like imagine if you found out there were people that were watching your life, and people were like "drat, why did we get this asocial loser as a protagonist? I wish he/she/they died instead this other one."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Koboje posted:

Yeah thats just what instantly came to mind for me about games calling you out, but i am sure many games actually have something to that effect. Also some places/people have REALLY strong feelings about Undertale or its mention. (naturally i should not even have alluded to it)

Eh, Undertale is (just) an excellent game. Sure, it's Homestuck-poisoned fanbase oversaturated the internet five years ago, but I think we're well past the point where talking about it should cause problems either from obsessive fans or obsessive haters.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wologar posted:

The moral of this story is that cosplay is evil.

:emptyquote: :v:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ah. I just killed a bunch of stuff in Undertale since that's what you do in video games. It wasn't until later that I heard you're not "supposed" to. :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Doing that and finding out along the way that killing things isn't what you're meant to do/that every encounter has a peaceful resolution is the intended experience(and you have to really go out of your way to kill enough stuff to trigger the You're Evil path), it's just that obsessive fans started dogpiling LPers/etc who did it 'wrong' even if they were going in blind.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

It's a well executed :haw: message, but DR and Phoenix Wright were literally the only murder mysteries going and now they're both quiet. It was literally them or nothing.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Arbite posted:

It's a well executed :haw: message, but DR and Phoenix Wright were literally the only murder mysteries going and now they're both quiet. It was literally them or nothing.

If you haven't played Ghost Trick it's a really good murder mystery. With the minor twist that you're the one who got murdered. And a lot of other twists.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh is it murder mystery video game recommendation o' clock? Because let me tell you about Tangle Tower and Paradise Killer, the latter of which being particularly Danganronpa-y in aesthetic, if not quite in procedure. They're both single case games, but they absolutely deliver on the full mystery unravelling experience.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you solve a murder in Disco Elysium :)

several, potentially :) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fedule posted:

Oh is it murder mystery video game recommendation o' clock? Because let me tell you about Tangle Tower and Paradise Killer, the latter of which being particularly Danganronpa-y in aesthetic, if not quite in procedure. They're both single case games, but they absolutely deliver on the full mystery unravelling experience.

Don't forget Murder By Numbers. Think Professor Layton, except all the puzzles are Picross.