Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Swedish cookbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Who What Now posted:

You know if you just put your 10mm socket back in it's proper place when not in use you won't lose it.

Is this implying that you have a 10mm socket in a readily identifiable location?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today in pyf: Jerry Cotton invents the Robertson screw

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I have like 20 10mm sockets.

Peasants.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

OwlFancier posted:

I mean yes hodmadods and bishy barnabees are entirely normal things with entirely normal names.

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1188454867842539521?s=19

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I have like 20 10mm sockets.

Peasants.

Yeah, sure. I bet most of them are just 3/8th or 7/16th sockets and you just don't let people use them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The zebra crossing is black and white stripes, like a zebra. The crossing guard has a big lollipop stick to wave at the traffic/final destination people who don't stop, and is usually a lady.

Perfectly normal, wait until she hears about pelican and puffin crossings too. And the other bird related one that I can't remember but is for horses.

E: pegasus crossing, which is basically a bird and also begins with P.

E2: wait no there is another bird one it's a toucan.

Pelican, puffin, and toucan are all actually perfectly sensible names once they explain it to you.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Dec 10, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

It’s a novel that started with an unfinished forum game that had reused the setting from an MMORPG that was never produced.

Shed’s death really was a player’s character being written out, but I don’t know about Holden being the DMPC. It makes sense, but it’s not explicitly stated in this article.

Miller was the co‐author’s character.

Well, that explains why it's so bland and cliched. I read the first book and just don't get why everyone's jizzing their pants over it. Even the plot twist is zombies, again, for gently caress's sake.

The setting was interesting, though. Just terrible characters and terrible plot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The zebra crossing line about the question of the existence of god from HGttG is even more hilarious and abstract when you are an American teenager who does not know about the British meaning and takes the line literally

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They call popsicles "Ice lollies", which is the stupidest thing you can call something

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

oldpainless posted:

What if it is? What are you gonna do about it?

im gonna make fun of the dumb morons who are scared of hispanic people but want to bang them and / or watch their wife or husband get banged by one.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

zoux posted:

They call popsicles "Ice lollies", which is the stupidest thing you can call something

They call ice lollies "popsicles", which is the stupidest thing you can call something

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Who What Now posted:

You know if you just put your 10mm socket back in it's proper place when not in use you won't lose it.

How dare you deny the 10mm socket's free spirited nature!?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Call them by their Christian name, coldcocks

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Absolute primtickle that the Brits expect to be taken seriously when they call poo poo dandyqueen follop and froggytart and gollywhicket.

Just speak normal. Chim chimbley chimchimcharoo and all that, guv.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
A popsicle, or ice lolly if you will, is an essentially frivolous food and should have a frivolous name.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Absolute primtickle that the Brits expect to be taken seriously when they call poo poo dandyqueen follop and froggytart and gollywhicket.

Just speak normal. Chim chimbley chimchimcharoo and all that, guv.

Is this gobshite loving mugging us right off mush? He's having a bubble with this kind of carry on

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Can confirm, live in SC, literally know an attractive 34 year old grandma.

a lot of people have really odd ideas about the south in general, and SC in particular

anywho, the two hot grandmas I know are 43 and 46

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

The zebra crossing line about the question of the existence of god from HGttG is even more hilarious and abstract when you are an American teenager who does not know about the British meaning and takes the line literally

Exactly the line that the phrase expanded into in my brain just now. Except layered with my additional discovery of, "wait, that's how they pronounce zebra??"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

I have it on good authority they call it 'cold on a cob'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I have it on good authority they call it 'cold on a cob'

Blimey

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Exactly the line that the phrase expanded into in my brain just now. Except layered with my additional discovery of, "wait, that's how they pronounce zebra??"

All of the other letters in the word are pronounced lowercase so the E should be too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Bogmonster posted:

Is this gobshite loving mugging us right off mush? He's having a bubble with this kind of carry on

Look Cobba, if I wasn't so cooked from the servo kebab and in me loving tracky dacks I'd grab some grog from the bottle-o and smash youse upside the head

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

All of the other letters in the word are pronounced lowercase so the E should be too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jestery posted:

Look Cobba, if I wasn't so cooked from the servo kebab and in me loving tracky dacks I'd grab some grog from the bottle-o and smash youse upside the head

grouse

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Americans can say Zeebra
English must say Zedbra

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

American people talk like this and British people talk like this

ha ha!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phy posted:

Americans can say Zeebra
English must say Zedbra

Zed is capital Z pronunciation, lowercase z is just zzz

E: There is actually a proper word for the difference between the way you name a letter in the alphabet and the way you actually say it in a word but I couldn't figure out how to explain that to google.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Dec 10, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

What fricking noise does "X" even make?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jestery posted:

yeah nah

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jestery posted:

'sword'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jestery posted:

Either the same as z or "ks" depending on contekst.

German is a much better language than English in some respects because it has an almost entirely descriptive written form. Even if you can't understand it it's very easy to learn to read words out loud off the page.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Dec 10, 2020

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Jestery posted:

Impost(e)r! No Aussie has ever said "upside the head". It's "bash yer noggin" or something

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

While I have this soapbox

gently caress the letter C

Does it make an "s" sound or a "K" sound? C is dang redundant

Don't even get me started on the word "scent" silent "s" or silent "C" ?

That l you for listening to my Ted talk

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Chrpno posted:

Impost(e)r! No Aussie has ever said "upside the head". It's "bash yer noggin" or something

It's an Alderley expression

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jestery posted:

Ecks. As in "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Jestery posted:

While I have this soapbox

gently caress the letter C

Does it make an "s" sound or a "K" sound? C is dang redundant

Don't even get me started on the word "scent" silent "s" or silent "C" ?

That l you for listening to my Ted talk

Norwegian doesn't have a C essentially for this reason. It's not that the letter is useless, though, IIRC languages like Polish, Czech and Turkish use it to denote a unique phoneme all on its own.

English spelling is just uniquely horrible, and Anglos (whether Americans or British) making fun of "weird words" are kind of like a guy who just shat his own pants but is trying to make fun of someone who just farted.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Spice Girls said "zee" and they were British so I just assume all other British people are confused

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Spice Girls said "zee" and they were British so I just assume all other British people are confused

they were speaking in lowercase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Next time...on Dragonball Zed