Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am sorry you can't conceive that the writer who chose to make Deathstroke have a sexual relationship with a teenager might have other gross things in his body of work, but you can defend what you feel. I don't know Wolfmans motivation, and don't either, but this isn't a court of law so I don't have to prove poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Siegkrow posted:

Uhhh..
Is there something wrong in specific about Luke Cage marrying a white woman?

There's probably a general cultural criticism to be made about how fictional interracial couples in pop culture are almost always a white person and a not white person, but since Bendis' most famous character that he created is half Black half Puerto Rican it'd be an odd one to level at him specifically.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

I know this is supposed to be a snarky joke but the implication, even humorously, about Bendis secretly wanting to be African American is really skivvy considering his personal life.
You might almost say the general random "self insert" projections about characters/creators tends to be pretty lovely and full of projections?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's probably a general cultural criticism to be made about how fictional interracial couples in pop culture are almost always a white person and a not white person, but since Bendis' most famous character that he created is half Black half Puerto Rican it'd be an odd one to level at him specifically.

Oh absolutely, I am unclear why Bendis was even brought up in this at all.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't like the Marv Wolfman Teen Titans much at all, I just think the fixation on self-inserts that comics fans have latched on to is not an especially useful or interesting way of engaging with a text. I think every author puts a little bit of themselves in what they write, in both subtle and blatant ways, and "oh, this character is secretly the writer's weird libidinal boil on the surface of the text, got 'im" feels deeply unsatisfying. It's a way of reading I'm invested in discouraging because I think it's lazy and almost never makes the text richer or stranger. There are better ways to try to find out the fingerprints of autobiography or confession.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Luke Cage marrying a white woman is like the story my friend told where he went to a Talib Kweli concert and talked about black pride and then he caught Talib macking up 6/10 white woman at the bar after the show.

Nothing wrong with interracial relationships but given what the character stands for it's pretty hilarious.

This but in comic book form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxIeO_9Mxo

loving :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Luke Cage marrying a white woman is like the story my friend told where he went to a Talib Kweli concert and talked about black pride and then he caught Talib macking up 6/10 white woman at the bar after the show.

Nothing wrong with interracial relationships but given what the character stands for it's pretty hilarious.

Luke Cage's best friend is a walking pile of cultural appropriation, and that predates anything Bendis wrote about him by several decades.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am sorry you can't conceive that the writer who chose to make Deathstroke have a sexual relationship with a teenager might have other gross things in his body of work, but you can defend what you feel. I don't know Wolfmans motivation, and don't either, but this isn't a court of law so I don't have to prove poo poo.
Deathstroke is not a good guy but if this were a court of law I would concede the point that Marv Wolfman is gross and his comics are gross and if you like them you are gross and self-inserting yourself into some gross poo poo. Dracula and Trigon alone are two huge black marks, what kind of sicko would want to write about literal demons? I wouldn't want to leave someone who read one of those books alone with my kids, I'm just saying!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I don't know what this is but it is 100% not where I was going and since people seem to be confused my basic point was "there are about as many biographical/biological similarities between Brian Michael Bendis and Luke Cage as there are between Marv Wolfman and Terry Long, and in both cases the writer chose to tell a story where the character 'gets' to marry the heroine and one of these is (apparently) a deep look into the twisted mind of a creep, and the other is just a comic book what are you going on about?"

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Skwirl posted:

Luke Cage's best friend is a walking pile of cultural appropriation, and that predates anything Bendis wrote about him by several decades.

Don't care about any of that. Doesn't change he was put in prison for a crime he didn't commit and experimented on without one shred of respect for his humanity. The call back to black exploitation is embedded in the character so the criticism still sticks, cultural appropriated friend or not.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The strongest evidence that Terry Long was a self insert was how doggedly Wolfman kept that relationship going despite everyone in the world hating it and thinking it sucked. Any other superhero relationship gets blasted a couple years in (hello every other Donna Troy Relationship) but Terry Long just hangs around. And the only possible reason I can imagine is Wolfman was really, really into that relationship for some reason and was on the book forever.

It feels like a self insert for all the creepy stuff in it. And I'd say a lot of the pseudo-pedo and straight up pedo relationships in comics history are likely knocking on a similar door.

Years ago there was a Titans companion that had interviews with editors talking about how much editorial just wanted Terry Long gone and Marv stuck besides that conviction stronger than anything. And at the time, whatever Marv said went for Teen Titans. That's probably the closest thing anyone's ever going to get for "evidence," I suppose.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At the end of the day I think we can all safely say that Teen Titans Go is the best version of the Titans.

Also looking back at that era of DC George Perez really knocked it out of the park.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jupiter Jazz posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this might have been the most ill-considered post i've seen in a very long time

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sadly, as Wally and Dick have proven, the best version of the Titans is when they have nothing to do with the Titans.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Despite aging weird I'm still reading New Teen Titans in conjunction with Batman. Almost to Death In the Family!

Sorry for using the scale to rate. I use it for both men and women. I didn't realize it was considered that offensive and I apologize. I'll take it out of my language.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

To be fair that's a list of the Greatest Teen Titans comic books ever, so your reaction to this may be less an indictment of Wolfman/Perez and more of the Teen Titans comic franchise, because this run is probably as good as it gets.

It's true. Name five Titans stories that aren't Judas Contract or Terror of Trigon. (You could start with what feels like endless iterations of Who Is Donna Troy but it's not a super deep well, well-regarded Titans stories.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. Name five Titans stories that aren't Judas Contract or Terror of Trigon. (You could start with what feels like endless iterations of Who Is Donna Troy but it's not a super deep well, well-regarded Titans stories.)

The one where A TITAN DIES!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was really rather fond of Geoff Johns Teen Titans at the time. I was sixteen or seventeen, and just starting to get into monthly comics that weren’t Batman, Spider-Man, or X-Men. The art was really good as well. I hadn’t seen Superboy since Reign of the Supermen, so the Lex Luthor revelation seemed really clever and exciting. And I only knew Impulse from Wizard magazine, so I was just happy to see the iconic Kid Flash costume make a comeback.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

When I was a kid I got a random issue of Team Titans in one of those gas-station "5 comics for $1" packs that involved Deathwing, the alternate reality Dick Grayson who is both a vampire and a rapist, and it was such an unlikeable and ugly comic that I just had no interest in DC comics, let alone Titans comics, for many years. I eventually read the original New Teen Titans run in high-school since at the time it would still pop up in a lot of "best runs of all time"/"best arcs of all time" lists and I was trying to just read as broadly as I could. I really didn't like it very much.

I'm an enormous fan of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men and I guess I respect Wolfman for trying to reverse engineer something similar for DC. But Claremont is more than just horniness and byzantine subplots, and that substance was just never there for Wolfman in my opinion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

1) The one where a dog eats a Superfriends gag character
2) The one where the Face suggests Miss Martian turn into a giant vulva so he can perform oral sex on her
3) Uh
4) ?
5) Nah

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

1) The one where a dog eats a Superfriends gag character
2) The one where the Face suggests Miss Martian turn into a giant vulva so he can perform oral sex on her
3) Uh
4) ?
5) Nah

In this Issue... A Titan Dies!

Titans from the future... who are evil!

Titans from another coast... who are evil!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wolfman also had a fairly extensive arc where future Titan Mirage disguised herself as Starfire and banged Nightwing a bunch of times as well as posing nude as Starfire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Wolfman also had a fairly extensive arc where future Titan Mirage disguised herself as Starfire and banged Nightwing a bunch of times as well as posing nude as Starfire.

Why the gently caress are there multiple arcs from multiple titles that boil down to "Dick Greyson gets raped"?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

1. The Teen Titans engage in peaceful protest and are the co-leads of the BATMAN DIGS THIS DAY! issue of Brave and the Bold
2. This is a pretty cool cover by Nick Cardy that spooked me out when I found it in my dad's comic collection. The story isn't very good but I like the idea both of Dog Island and that the Teen Titans were nearly felled by Dog Island.
3. If you count "The Rise of Arsenal" and subsequent Titans book as part of the Teen Titans canon, the scene where he freebases heroin off of an iPad and tries to kill Batman with a dead cat is pretty funny, and Eric Wallace's Titans run where Arsenal is basically one of those cartoon characters who immediately gets hypnotized and floats off smelling delicious food, except instead of food it's drugs is also funny.
4. I really loved the original Static run of comics, and one of the only places the character Static has appeared in the past 20+ years is in some Teen Titans comics. The comics themselves weren't good, but Static is great.
5. The Mad Mod is a pretty cool villain. Maybe cooler than Ding Dong Daddy. Definitely modder.

So that's five more things to add to the list of Greatest Titans stories!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Technis imperative
Titans hunt
Attack of the Amazons, technically? Tho this was the 2003 teen titans
Insiders
Terra Incognito

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

How Wonderful! posted:

When I was a kid I got a random issue of Team Titans in one of those gas-station "5 comics for $1" packs that involved Deathwing, the alternate reality Dick Grayson who is both a vampire and a rapist, and it was such an unlikeable and ugly comic that I just had no interest in DC comics, let alone Titans comics, for many years. I eventually read the original New Teen Titans run in high-school since at the time it would still pop up in a lot of "best runs of all time"/"best arcs of all time" lists and I was trying to just read as broadly as I could. I really didn't like it very much.

I'm an enormous fan of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men and I guess I respect Wolfman for trying to reverse engineer something similar for DC. But Claremont is more than just horniness and byzantine subplots, and that substance was just never there for Wolfman in my opinion.

Enter: Deathwing!
Exit: The Readers!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dawgstar posted:

The Titans are so hard up for quality stories that Judas Contract has been adapted like...four or five times now into other media.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So is the rare case where the cartoon (Teen Titans 03) is better than the source material?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The New Teen Titans ran out of steam a lot earlier than Claremont's run did, yet somehow they kept the book going for even longer and it became convoluted to the point of absurdity in its final few years.

That said, I think the book worked pretty well for its day and age, especially the art and the soap opera angle. Just doesn't have the same staying power of the classic Uncanny X-Men arcs.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The writing in those teen titans panels is really bad, but I love that art style. Simple but conveys everything so it's impactful. And I don't know why but all the characters look like they're two inches high living in a miniworld.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

stratdax posted:

The writing in those teen titans panels is really bad, but I love that art style. Simple but conveys everything so it's impactful. And I don't know why but all the characters look like they're two inches high living in a miniworld.

The dialogue in Teen Titans is pretty dated--it's not stylized in a way that hits the spot (and therefore endures) like Claremont's, but a lot of the characterization, ideas and storytelling is pretty strong.
The art is also very good, it's definitely superhero art but the characters are appealing in a way that precedes "sexy teens because they're played by adults" tv dramas.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

By the standards of "It it as good as Uncanny X-Men?" New Teen Titans falls short, but then, so do a lot of comics. If you're looking just to read some good comics as a beginner, then yeah, there's better stuff to read. I think the run is still a worthwhile read up until it gets dreadful in the late 80s, but not one I'd recommend somebody just getting into comics.

It is good though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm not entirely new to comics but I also haven't gone deep into DC either. Kind of a half step.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Roth posted:

By the standards of "It it as good as Uncanny X-Men?" New Teen Titans falls short, but then, so do a lot of comics. If you're looking just to read some good comics as a beginner, then yeah, there's better stuff to read. I think the run is still a worthwhile read up until it gets dreadful in the late 80s, but not one I'd recommend somebody just getting into comics.

It is good though.

That's an edit.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That's an edit.

Really? Given the writing in New Teen Titans I figured it'd be real.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Rhyno posted:

Didn't someone in that comic call Nightwing a slut even though he was the victim?

It wasn't a good comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jupiter Jazz posted:

So is the rare case where the cartoon (Teen Titans 03) is better than the source material?

Teen Titans did have a better Terror of Trigon* and Judas Contract, it's true.

*Although even that one is a bit skeevy with teenage Raven getting her costume torn up. Some inappropriate horniness is probably inescapable when Bruce Timm's on the scene, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Remember when one year later had the teen titans gain 20+ new and interesting members including The Face and the writers spent the next year killing the characters or making them evil. Hell yeah.

It was just teen titans bullshit turned to the max and condensed into one stupid yeaf.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Here's a comparison I found:

from The New Teen Titans #18

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is the mandela effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember when one year later had the teen titans gain 20+ new and interesting members including The Face and the writers spent the next year killing the characters or making them evil. Hell yeah.

It was just teen titans bullshit turned to the max and condensed into one stupid yeaf.

Wasn’t there a Crime Syndicate universe Tim Drake named Talon?