Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Daily? Wow, that's generous... or so it seems! I wasn't around for this last year, so is this legitimately something to get excited about or is it all shovelware?

The daily giveaways last year were:

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Hello Neighbor
The Talos Principle
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Hyper Light Drifter
Faster Than Light
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Celeste
Ape Out
Little Inferno
Superhot
TowerFall Ascension
Into The Breach

Plenty of good stuff there, hopefully it's as good this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last year's crimbo stuff, in order: Into the Breach, Towerfall Ascension, Superhot, Little Inferno, Ape Out, Celeste (rerun), Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, FTL, Hyper Light Drifter (rerun), Shadow Tactics, Talos Principle, Hello Neighbour, Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair and then Jan 1st was Steep and Darksiders1/2.

All in all it was pretty good.

e: gently caress I should have refreshed

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JustJeff88 posted:

Daily? Wow, that's generous... or so it seems! I wasn't around for this last year, so is this legitimately something to get excited about or is it all shovelware?

2/3 of the games will be good stuff. About half will be stuff that was already on EGS.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Werent they going to give out a pretty decent game last xmas and backed out at the last minute?
I forget, i remember people being mad about it though.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They gave away GTAV not too long ago, not too shabby.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Invalid Validation posted:

They gave away GTAV not too long ago, not too shabby.

I thought that was the Rockstar Games app?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Skwirl posted:

Nah it was definitely via the Epic store, but you need the Rockstar Launcher to actually launch the game iirc. Same deal as when Epic gave away Assassin's Creed Syndicate for free as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

webmeister posted:

Nah it was definitely via the Epic store, but you need the Rockstar Launcher to actually launch the game iirc. Same deal as when Epic gave away Assassin's Creed Syndicate for free as well.

Or Watch Dogs 2. Which involves downloading 40gb to just sit there in your epic folder, even after installing via Ubisoft Connect.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Man they are legit conditioning me to not buy SP games anymore. Obviously with MP games you want in early so you can benefit from a wide player base before the youngins move on to the new hotness.

Pillars and Tyranny been on my wishlist for years now but never had a decent sale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Man they are legit conditioning me to not buy SP games anymore. Obviously with MP games you want in early so you can benefit from a wide player base before the youngins move on to the new hotness.

Pillars and Tyranny been on my wishlist for years now but never had a decent sale.

Pretty sure I bought Pillars for half off when I did end up buying it.

Know that's what I paid for Pillars 2

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

legit, don't buy games unless you're immediately going to play them. they will have sales and giveaways if you wait, guaranteed. simple as that

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Skwirl posted:

It was Epic in April of this year.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This just happened to me and it's almost funny (almost). I just installed Epic Launcher for the first time, because it has "Official Integration" with GOG Galaxy and I didn't think that I needed it specifically. Now it tells me that it's not compatible with my perfectly ordinary video card. Kind of glad that I've never actually payed for an Epic game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
are you sure you downloaded the right thing

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Epic game store just does that. I got, installed, and played Subnautica completely when it was first free.

Tried to play it again a year latter with no system changes and It refused to run saying my video card is insufficient. Try to install it after getting a better video card and it would error out saying my system has insufficient authorization. Which was only fixed by changing the install path from the default /Program Files/ to /Program Files (86)/.

For me, Epic giving free games just hasn't incentivizing making purchases with them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

E. Revenant posted:

Epic game store just does that. I got, installed, and played Subnautica completely when it was first free.

Tried to play it again a year latter with no system changes and It refused to run saying my video card is insufficient. Try to install it after getting a better video card and it would error out saying my system has insufficient authorization. Which was only fixed by changing the install path from the default /Program Files/ to /Program Files (86)/.

For me, Epic giving free games just hasn't incentivizing making purchases with them.

Luckily, you can just run the Subnautica exe and not even open Epic

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
One good thing about EGS is that their DRM seems to be opt-in rather than opt-out like Steam is.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
As a comparison, I installed the Epic client on my Win10 laptop and it didn't work there either, but with different symptoms. I sent an e-mail to tech support and they asked for roughly six different dianostic files, but I don't know if I am going to bother creating and sending all of them. I didn't pay a penny for literally any of my Epic games, I own almost all of them on at least one other functional platform, and I'm starting to think that they are just staggeringly incompetent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

As a comparison, I installed the Epic client on my Win10 laptop and it didn't work there either, but with different symptoms. I sent an e-mail to tech support and they asked for roughly six different dianostic files, but I don't know if I am going to bother creating and sending all of them. I didn't pay a penny for literally any of my Epic games, I own almost all of them on at least one other functional platform, and I'm starting to think that they are just staggeringly incompetent.

It's been around over a year and still doesn't have a shopping cart, something Amazon had in literally the last millenia.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

It's been around over a year and still doesn't have a shopping cart, something Amazon had in literally the last millenia.

The Switch has been around for what 3?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Len posted:

The Switch has been around for what 3?

Switch doesn't have a shopping cart? Lol.

They can get away with it because they have Mario and Zelda and never do big sales I guess. I'm just thinking about when Steam used to have huge gently caress off sales with (older) insanely popular games for 75-90% off. My steam library would probably be a quarter the size it is if they hadn't had a shopping cart.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The iOS App Store has never had a shopping cart.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seripuspost: you don't need to have a shopping cart in a system where you only sign in to get one or two "free" games every week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seripuspost: you don't need to have a shopping cart in a system where you only sign in to get one or two "free" games every week.

I have to click twice as much when they have two free games at the same time. And if they actually want to be a store that sells things for money they should probably have feature parity with Steam, GOG, and Humble in terms of making it easy to buy things. Nintendo and Apple don't have to worry about that, because short of piracy it's not like you have an alternative when it comes to apps.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Buying stuff on iOS is like one button tap and doesn't navigate you away from your current page or mess up your history.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's a psyop from China to see how much effort Americans will put into something

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Well, I managed to fix both issues. For my Win7 dektop, it turns out that I had not installed an optional patch from Windows Update. For my Win10 laptop, I had to add a very bizarre command-line argument that I found on reddit. Not memetic at all, so I made a note of it.

I never thought of the update thing because Windows 7 hasn't seen many updates lately, and I had a similar problem recently that was much more clearly explained. I bought the Halo collection on Steam when it went on sale around US Thanksgiving. They had just released the last game in the sextet and ~$28 for the lot is a very good dead for all that. However, when I tried to run it the first time it very explicitly told me that I was missing a vital update to make the game(s) run. Turns out that it was a security update that I had uninstalled due to it interfering with a bit of old software, and the matter was swiftly resolves.

Skwirl posted:

They can get away with it because they have Mario and Zelda and never do big sales I guess. I'm just thinking about when Steam used to have huge gently caress off sales with (older) insanely popular games for 75-90% off. My steam library would probably be a quarter the size it is if they hadn't had a shopping cart.

Exactly correct. Buying more than one thing on Switch is very ponderous, one has to re-authenticate between purchases and Nintendo does indeed have lovely sales. They might be even more pretentious than Blizzard, if you can imagine such a thing.

Skwirl posted:

I have to click twice as much when they have two free games at the same time. And if they actually want to be a store that sells things for money they should probably have feature parity with Steam, GOG, and Humble in terms of making it easy to buy things. Nintendo and Apple don't have to worry about that, because short of piracy it's not like you have an alternative when it comes to apps.

Epic supposedly has an official integration with GOG Galaxy (Uplay, Origin and Steam are community integrations, apparently), but I am not sure what it's in aid of as one still has to install the Epic client to download and install games. That's why I had never tried the Epic launcher before, because I genuinely thought that "official integration" meant that GOG would replace the Epic launcher and I have no desire to have even more annoying gateways than I already do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You know Windows 7 has been EOL for nearly a year right? Things are going to break more and more as you try to run them on a deprecated operating system

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

please stop using windows 7

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kirbysuperstar posted:

please stop using windows 7

They could upgrade to Windows 10 for "free" but you have to give Microsoft your email, the highest cost of all.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

JustJeff88 posted:

Win7 dektop

Does your software cure cancer and only run on Win 7? If not, you can give no good reason as to why this is still a thing. It's probably part of some Russian botnet as we speak.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's to make nerds real mad.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's working, too. The reactions are making me laugh!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm furious Jerry!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

joining a botnet to own the nerds

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Epic supposedly has an official integration with GOG Galaxy (Uplay, Origin and Steam are community integrations, apparently), but I am not sure what it's in aid of as one still has to install the Epic client to download and install games. That's why I had never tried the Epic launcher before, because I genuinely thought that "official integration" meant that GOG would replace the Epic launcher and I have no desire to have even more annoying gateways than I already do.

You can launch Epic games through GOG Galaxy (though Epic still needs to be running on your computer at the same time), you can not purchase games from the Epic store through GOG.

If all of your clients (I've got Steam GOG and Epic, If' I'd played an Ubisoft or Rockstar game on my computer in the last year I'd probably have there's also auto launch at start. It's probably more convenient to launch Epic games through GOG if most of your other games are there, and it's nice to see all your games on the same list, but that's the extent of the integration.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 13, 2020

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

repiv posted:

You know Windows 7 has been EOL for nearly a year right? Things are going to break more and more as you try to run them on a deprecated operating system

my entire 10k+ employee organization still uses 7 for everything with literally no plan in sight of replacement or upgrading.
e: that is to say some russians are probably going to use it to get a bunch of "free" games when they get paid the ransom

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

my entire 10k+ employee organization still uses 7 for everything with literally no plan in sight of replacement or upgrading.
e: that is to say some russians are probably going to use it to get a bunch of "free" games when they get paid the ransom

My company is smaller but still used xp and win 7 until February when we got hacked and held ransom

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Skwirl posted:

And when they do, you don't get an email if you have a game wishlisted. Like, what is the point of to have game on wishlist even? (It also doesn't pop off the list once you buy it, if I remember correctly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BirdOfPlay posted:

And when they do, you don't get an email if you have a game wishlisted. Like, what is the point of to have game on wishlist even?

they do send an email?