Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Omnicrom posted:

I wonder if she's saving money to put out her own bounty on the whereabouts of her family.

poo poo, I hadn't thought about that. That actually seems likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Larryb posted:

If you think about it, the Corpse Dealer is technically the closest thing Moroha has to a father figure unless you want to count Myoga. Though whether he actually gives two shits about her outside of her debt to him I’m not entirely sure.

Given how he's working with Riku, he seems really sketchy to me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

starbucks hermit posted:

Part of me says that it's like the case with Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, where you are saddled with an incredible debt from childhood that can never be paid off, due to a decision that you likely had no choice in making. If that's the case, then Moroha (once she's older and wiser) could renegotiate the terms to keep the obligation in good faith or ignore the debt entirely.

Other pro demon hunters have shown the best way to deal with childhood debt is to murder everyone responsible for it.

Moroha's even part dog demon, so she's got the qualifications.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad filler episode this week. I forget, is the Venom Serpent/Drifting Pond another holdover from the Inuyasha manga or was it something original to this series?

Next Week: Towa experiences one of Inuyasha’s common problems (and by the same logic Setsuna and Moroha should go through this at some point as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 12, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Setsuna's ice cold, leaving her sister hanging like that.

I hope this gets another season because the main characters are fun enough that while I want the plot to progress, the filler eps are still enjoyable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Setsuna's ice cold, leaving her sister hanging like that.

I hope this gets another season because the main characters are fun enough that while I want the plot to progress, the filler eps are still enjoyable.

She almost went for it though which is a sign that she’s at least starting to warm up to her a bit (and she did recover some flashes of memory last week).

The mere fact that they’re even doing filler in a 24 episode show makes me think this is getting another season (if not more), unless they really start cranking the plot out fast in the next few episodes that is.

Though that said, even if they do somehow wrap this up in time they could always still start another story arc or something.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 12, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just want an episode where they're just hanging out in the present and Moroha gets to eat delicious crepes. If plain pancakes blew her mind like that, could you even imagine how she would react if they went to a cafe?

Sure put some demon stuff or something in there like during the school festival in the original I guess. It'd be funny if it turns out that Sesshomaru and Kirinmaru are just tired of all this demon bullshit and want to flip the table and be done with it. Kirinmaru is now an English teacher at a private school and Sesshomaru runs, I dunno, a pension in the countryside or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She does seem to get the hang of things pretty quickly (like credit cards and iPods) so yeah, give us more Moroha antics in the present day (even if it’s just a flashback to the few days she and Setsuna spent there).

Hell, you could even split things up (that is, deal with the whole Dream Butterfly issue this time around and then make season 2 the Moroha Show).

On another note, since Miroku will finally be making his proper return in a few episodes I kind of hope we find out what happened to Sango as well (and possibly Shippo, Inuyasha and Kagome while we’re at it).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I hope she's better at handling her curry than her dad. I bet what he was eating wasn't even the spicy stuff, he just couldn't handle flavours that weren't "charred over a fire".

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I'm still waiting for the twist that Sesshoumaru is still alive in the modern era. He's effectively ageless, after all. That would be an interesting plot to have some Sengoku youkai (:lol:) show up in the present.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

See my spoiler. I'm still trying to figure out what job would be the best fit should that end up being the case, as well as what would be the most entertaining. The answer to both would be math teacher who is also a sports club advisor at the same school Kirinmaru teaches at.

Edit: Maybe also a history teacher

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 12, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Am I the only who thinks that Moroha hasn't really had a whole lot of time to shine in the fight scenes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Am I the only who thinks that Moroha hasn't really had a whole lot of time to shine in the fight scenes?

Agreed, but then again it’s pretty clear that Towa and Setsuna are meant to be the real stars of the show (even though I like Moroha more than both of them).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Agreed, but then again it’s pretty clear that Towa and Setsuna are meant to be the real stars of the show (even though I like Moroha more than both of them).

I think I read an interview somewhere that stated that Moroha wasn't even supposed to be an MC originally

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Willo567 posted:

I think I read an interview somewhere that stated that Moroha wasn't even supposed to be an MC originally

So she just Steve Urkel'd herself into the writers' hearts? Well we know who's gonna run a later season if they get another one.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Rudoku posted:

So she just Steve Urkel'd herself into the writers' hearts? Well we know who's gonna run a later season if they get another one.

I'm not even sure why they wouldn't make the child of the previous main characters an important character, even if she isn't the main focus and they wanted a different type of protagonist for the sequel.

At this point I'm frustrated, because in episodes 2 and 5, Moroha looked to be a pretty kick rear end fighter despite being a 1/4 demon, and it helped to continue a major theme of the original anime/manga, that just because you have less/more demon or human blood doesn't make you inferior to either (Inuyasha beating that dragon yokai that killed his dad, Shirori being able to adjust her barrier despite her Yokai grandfather being unable to do so himself).

It should have continued with her still being able to keep up and match with Towa and Setsuna IMO. Instead, Moroha is treated like a joke, and the show treats Towa and Setsuna like they're the most amazing people on the planet because their father is a daiyokai.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 16, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

I'm not even sure why they wouldn't make the child of the previous main characters an important character, even if she isn't the main focus and they wanted a different type of protagonist for the sequel.

At this point I'm frustrated, because in episodes 2 and 5, Moroha looked to be a pretty kick rear end fighter despite being a 1/4 demon, and it helped to continue a major theme of the original anime/manga, that just because you have less/more demon or human blood doesn't make you inferior to either (Inuyasha beating that dragon yokai that killed his dad, Shirori being able to adjust her barrier despite her Yokai grandfather being unable to do so himself).

It should have continued with her still being able to keep up and match with Towa and Setsuna IMO. Instead, Moroha is treated like a joke, and the show treats Towa and Setsuna like they're the most amazing people on the planet because their father is a daiyokai.

I think it's more of avoiding the Miroku solution. We have a character that is generally known to be incredibly powerful, and we can't have this lovable gremlin solve every issue or else there is no tension. But the writing is better (as in - lower immunity to poison, knocking away her rouge, having her conveniently absent, etc) than just bringing out the poisonous bees.

Also, as the audience stand-in (or whatnot), Towa will likely get top billing among the three, and she has only one priority - getting her sister to dream again. I think Moroha will only be written in if the plot allows it.

But I hope she's included a lot more, since she's my favorite character as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even if they do somehow manage to wrap everything up in time I kind of want a second season regardless, this time focused on Moroha. Not sure if it’s going to happen though.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

starbucks hermit posted:

I think it's more of avoiding the Miroku solution. We have a character that is generally known to be incredibly powerful, and we can't have this lovable gremlin solve every issue or else there is no tension. But the writing is better (as in - lower immunity to poison, knocking away her rouge, having her conveniently absent, etc) than just bringing out the poisonous bees.

Also, as the audience stand-in (or whatnot), Towa will likely get top billing among the three, and she has only one priority - getting her sister to dream again. I think Moroha will only be written in if the plot allows it.

But I hope she's included a lot more, since she's my favorite character as well.

The difference is that unlike Miroku, Moroha's powers aren't game breaking

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

The difference is that unlike Miroku, Moroha's powers aren't game breaking

She has about a minute of pretty limitless power. And even without that, she can use purifying arrows.

So maybe not 100% gamebreaking but she has held her own for quite a long time.

So, this is a bit of a difference of interpretation. I think her demon percentage bloodline doesn't factor into how other people view her or her actual power (beyond speculation) or her prevalence in the plot. I think her involvement in any episode is primarily linked to how it can be relevant to Towa's story. And I agree that the current writing leaves Moroha's character development shortchanged.

I can certainly be wrong, but it's how I see it for now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I’m kind of curious how she learned all that stuff considering she was sent away as an infant.

I like that Moroha is absolutely her father’s daughter but has just enough Kagome in her to keep her somewhat grounded.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

starbucks hermit posted:

She has about a minute of pretty limitless power. And even without that, she can use purifying arrows.

So maybe not 100% gamebreaking but she has held her own for quite a long time.

So, this is a bit of a difference of interpretation. I think her demon percentage bloodline doesn't factor into how other people view her or her actual power (beyond speculation) or her prevalence in the plot. I think her involvement in any episode is primarily linked to how it can be relevant to Towa's story. And I agree that the current writing leaves Moroha's character development shortchanged.

I can certainly be wrong, but it's how I see it for now.

That's the thing, it's not just Moroha. I was also excited for the show because from the promotional video, I thought that Hisui and Kohaku would also play a good role in it, but so far, all they've done is tell Towa and Setsuna about the MOTW. I know that Hisui will be playing a large role in next week's episode, but it's really weird that the show decided to wait 13 episodes for him to do anything.

poo poo, we've seen more of Takechiyo than Hisui, the child of two major characters in the previous series. I was kinda also hoping we'd see an adult Shippo, and see how he's changed within the 15 year time skip

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad episode this week, seems like since her dad was already a half demon Moroha doesn’t have enough demon blood in her to be affected by the new moon and thanks to the Dream Butterfly Setsuna also seems immune (which seems convenient but ok), Towa seemed a little OP after regaining her powers though

Next time: Miroku finally returns, and more importantly so does Sango

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 19, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Not a bad episode this week, seems like since her dad was already a half demon Moroha doesn’t have enough demon blood in her to be affected by the new moon and thanks to the Dream Butterfly Setsuna also seems immune (which seems convenient but ok), Towa seemed a little OP after regaining her powers as well

Next time: Miroku finally returns, and more importantly so does Sango

Also, one of Miroku/Sango's twins also show up... and Sango is kneeling in front of a grave. Plus, according to a cast list online, only Gyukuto shows up

I'm very worried

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 19, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Also, one of Miroku/Sango's twins also show up... and Sango is kneeling in front of a grave. Plus, according to a cast list online, only Gyukuto shows up

I'm very worried

The other one is likely dead, which sucks but at least we now know Sango’s ok (I’m assuming she’s retired now considering that both Hiraikotsu and Kirara are currently in the hands of the Demon Slayers). That just leaves Shippo, Inuyasha, and Kagome unaccounted for at this point

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

The other one is likely dead, which sucks but at least we now know Sango’s ok (I’m assuming she’s retired now considering that both Hiraikotsu and Kirara are currently in the hands of the Demon Slayers). That just leaves Shippo, Inuyasha, and Kagome unaccounted for at this point

I'm going to be honest, I'm really not a fan of sequels that pretty much makes everything the original characters went through worthless in the end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad episode and it was nice to finally see Miroku and Sango again (even if the latter only appeared in two scenes), sucks that the other twin sister is likely dead though. Also it seems like while she can’t become human Setsuna can apparently become a full demon at times like Inuyasha occasionally did. It also sucks that Moroha barely appeared this time around.

Next time the plot returns with a vengeance as we learn why Towa and Setsuna were separated in the first place.

Will there be an episode next week or is this show on break for New Year’s as well?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Not a bad episode and it was nice to finally see Miroku and Sango again (even if the latter only appeared in two scenes), sucks that the other twin sister is likely dead though. Also it seems like while she can’t become human Setsuna can apparently become a full demon at times like Inuyasha occasionally did. It also sucks that Moroha barely appeared this time around.

Next time the plot returns with a vengeance as we learn why Towa and Setsuna were separated in the first place.

Will there be an episode next week or is this show on break for New Year’s as well?

It's going to be on break for a week. I hope Moroha will appear in it more, and that they start to do stuff with her soon. It feels like a waste, just because she's so fun, and the mystery of what the gently caress happened to her parents is a lot more intriguing than this butterfly stuff

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So has anyone heard any insane fan theories about this show since we haven't really been given a whole lot of information on what's happening?

The worst I heard was this poo poo theory called parallel pasts

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Next episode description came out, and holy poo poo, it's a big one

Riku talks… about what exactly happened to Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha’s parents, Sesshomaru, Inuyasha, and Kagome. It began 18 years ago, on the day the second generation Housenki came to deliver the black pearl to Inuyasha. 4 years later, sisters Towa and Setsuna were born. However, when Sesshomaru takes the twins away, he seals them within a barrier and hides them. That’s because there was someone who was after the twins life. The name of the one who despises half-demons is Kokoro (??), Kirinmaru’s older sister. It was prophesized that the one who would defeat Kirinmaru was an existence that was neither human nor demon.

Cast List

Inuyasha: Yamaguchi Kappei

Kagome: Yukino Satsuki

Sesshomaru: Narita Ken

Jaken: Cho

Rin: Noto Mamiko

Kirinmaru: Hosoya Yoshimasa

Riku: Fukuyama Jun

Housenki: Saitou Shirou

Kokoro (??): Sakamoto Maaya

Jyoka: Kojima Sachiko

Sango: Kuwashima Houko

Kaede: Kyouda Hisako

Kin’u: Gomazuru Aya

Gyokuto: Ueda Hitomi

Rikichi: Saizen Tadahisa

Higurashi Towa: Matsumoto Sara

Setsuna: Komatsu Mikako

Homura: Gotou Kousuke

Please let them air this before the rest of the episodes get delayed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is this for the episode that’s supposed to air this week? Also, why would the episodes get delayed?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Is this for the episode that’s supposed to air this week? Also, why would the episodes get delayed?

It's next weeks episode.

Japan on Thursday declared a State of Emergency for Tokyo and a few other prefectures. The last time this happened, a bunch of series like Boruto got put on hold for a few months.

My guess is that since they updated the schedule next week with this episode, they're still planning to air it. Anything goes after that.

Also, an anime magazine came out with some more episode titles,

16: The Sword of Moroha
17: The Trap of the Two Demons
18: Sesshomaru and Kirinmaru

The most hosed up thing is that apparently, according to the description for 16, Moroha herself isn't in debt; her teacher is, and sold her to the corpse dealers. She's a literal slave.

Makes that scene in 8 where Towa plans on stealing her bounty even more hosed up now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I see, what happened in Japan recently for them to do something like this?

Episodes sound interesting at least though I’m still curious if they’re going to finish this up in the allotted time or if we’re getting a second season (I’d still kind of like one regardless, maybe this time more focused on Moroha, but we’ll see)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

I see, what happened in Japan recently for them to do something like this?

Episodes sound interesting at least though I’m still curious if they’re going to finish this up in the allotted time or if we’re getting a second season (I’d still kind of like one regardless, maybe this time more focused on Moroha, but we’ll see)

COVID-19. The cases in Tokyo have been getting pretty bad there lately (though still not as bad as a lot of the world).

Also, at this rate I think we'll be getting another season, but I don't expect anything else beyond that.

I'm glad that the show looks like it's finally picking up. I just wish it would have done so sooner

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

COVID-19. The cases in Tokyo have been getting pretty bad there lately (though still not as bad as a lot of the world)

Ah, I was under the impression that following the hiatus a few months ago they had things a little more under control now. Makes sense then.

Also has there been any word yet as to who’s replacing Kirby Morrow as Miroku in the dub?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 8, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Ah, I was under the impression that following the hiatus a few months ago they had things a little more under control now. Makes sense then.

Also has there been any word yet as to who’s replacing Kirby Morrow as Miroku in the dub?

The SOE was in April of 2020, and lasted until around the end of May. They had a spike in cases during the Summer, but they were able to get the cases down without another SOE. It's different this time due to the fact that the weather is colder, meaning that more people are likely indoors together without great ventilation, which allows the virus to spread. That's probably the reason for the surge we're seeing now.

Also, there's no word yet on a replacement. To be honest, I really don't follow dubs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense, hopefully that won’t result in another mass hiatus for a lot of shows like before but they gotta do what they gotta do I guess.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, hopefully that won’t result in another mass hiatus for a lot of shows like before but they gotta do what they gotta do I guess.

Last time it happened, the hiatuses lasted around 2-3 months. It may be a bit longer this time due to the fact there's more cases, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Only thing I was really looking forward to this season anyways was ZLS Revenge, so it won't be the end of the world

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad episode this week with a lot of good plot stuff (and more on the way next time). Plus, it’s now confirmed thanks to the preview that Rin is indeed Towa and Setsuna’s mother.

Also we finally got a new OP and ED.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Not a bad episode this week with a lot of good plot stuff (and more on the way next time). Plus, it’s now confirmed thanks to the preview that Rin is indeed Towa and Setsuna’s mother.

Also we finally got a new OP and ED.

I remember reading a bunch of ridiculous theories that Kagura was somehow the twins mother due to her reincarnating, and another theory that claimed that Towa and Setsuna weren't twins, but were half-sisters