Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fame Douglas posted:

I assume to have any interest in Perfect Dark you had to have been a console player in the 90s?

*Looks at thread title*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fame Douglas posted:

I assume to have any interest in Perfect Dark you had to have been a console player in the 90s?

I suppose. It's so easy to play it now with mouse + keyboard and 60fps.

PD is so fucken cool, I've wanted a proper sequel for years. Rare was working on a third game, Perfect Dark Core, in the mid-2000's but the head of Xbox game division at the time said "we don't need another sci-fi franchise" because Halo and Gears of War were at their peak.

gently caress yeah gimme eco-punk spy-fi. If it doesn't come to PC for whatever reason I will absolutely buy a god drat console for it lmao.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Graven’s combat would be immensely improved with some kind of block/parry that eats stamina and a dash mechanic like double tapping a direction dashes. You know... Dark Messiah combat! As it is the primary enemies all have a rushing leap attack so the best melee strategy is to just rush them and eat the hit.

Everything else the graphics, world, gibs, sound design it’s all set up like a game I would’ve devour circa 2001 but it feels hollow. Like it feels like one of those early 2000s Eurojank action RPGs, Die by the Sword or Enclave(?) which was fine two decades ago but those games had their own gimmicks.

Also what’s up with the rats worshipping a big green rat, is that a reference to something or set dressing?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

site posted:

Well at least if it's on xbox that means it's on windows too right
MS studio games are all on game pass now as a way to sell the service

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

I think Graven’s combat would be immensely improved with some kind of block/parry that eats stamina and a dash mechanic like double tapping a direction dashes. You know... Dark Messiah combat! As it is the primary enemies all have a rushing leap attack so the best melee strategy is to just rush them and eat the hit.

Everything else the graphics, world, gibs, sound design it’s all set up like a game I would’ve devour circa 2001 but it feels hollow. Like it feels like one of those early 2000s Eurojank action RPGs, Die by the Sword or Enclave(?) which was fine two decades ago but those games had their own gimmicks.

Also what’s up with the rats worshipping a big green rat, is that a reference to something or set dressing?

You can bait the jump and side-step, then smash them. It feels not so great in the sewers but feels a lot better when you get the sword (250 gold from the smith in the town), and even better once you get the flail.

There's a lot of good ideas there, but I can definitely see why people are feeling that it's hollow right at the beginning.

The smith's items suggest there's maybe a block mechanic anyway, with the shield you can't buy in the demo and all that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hot take: Perfect Dark starts incredibly strong and then just increasingly shits the bed. I blame Elvis.

I've basically always wanted a game to take the feel of the first 3 levels and extrapolate them into a full game, so if this new one comes anywhere close to that I'm happy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

John Murdoch posted:

Hot take: Perfect Dark starts incredibly strong and then just increasingly shits the bed. I blame Elvis.

I've basically always wanted a game to take the feel of the first 3 levels and extrapolate them into a full game, so if this new one comes anywhere close to that I'm happy.

I think most agree that Goldeneye has a stronger campaign throughout. I remember not enjoying it as much later in the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Perfect dark gets real bad when the aliens show up. I just want to shoot up cyberpunk corporate environs not get lost in a grey spaceships.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl I do not like the sunken green all over space ship or the final level

On the plus side it has all those multiplayer bot missions you can switch to

site fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My ideal Perfect Dark is firmly rooted in turn of the century future aesthetic. It should still look like Ghost in the Shell/The Matrix.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

drrockso20 posted:

We also got a successor to Left 4 Dead announced as well that looks pretty tight

yeah for the record it's basically left 4 dead 3 but with the name filed off, but if anyone has the legitimacy to do that it's...literally the people who made both l4d and l4d2 before splitting off from valve.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Arivia posted:

You can bait the jump and side-step, then smash them. It feels not so great in the sewers but feels a lot better when you get the sword (250 gold from the smith in the town), and even better once you get the flail.

There's a lot of good ideas there, but I can definitely see why people are feeling that it's hollow right at the beginning.

The smith's items suggest there's maybe a block mechanic anyway, with the shield you can't buy in the demo and all that.

The sword can block, straight up, without the shield.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
My biggest issues with Graven are spells costing too much mana to feel worthwhile and movement being too slow. It feels like it's trying to be an immersive sim but isn't really committing to it. Adding a proper dash or dodge or just increasing the movement speed to be faster would make it feel better IMHO. I thought all of the weapons were really satisfying to use, and the combat had a really chunky feel that I liked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kind of surprised you think the game is slow, the default move speed felt fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nothing to really go on, but Flying Wild Hog's making a cowboy vampire hunting game, which is a concept I'm all about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjMjH_j0fM

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mordja posted:

Nothing to really go on, but Flying Wild Hog's making a cowboy vampire hunting game, which is a concept I'm all about.

Only thing is we have no indication if this is actually a shooter or not

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mordja posted:

I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic about this because I am a sucker for the premise of "Cowboy vs Monster". Didn't Capcom make a vampire cowboy FPS back on the PS2? Darkwatch or something like that? I remember loving that game in middle school but idk if it holds up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Only thing is we have no indication if this is actually a shooter or not

Says as much on their site: https://flyingwildhog.com/games/evil-west/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

gently caress yes, that sounds loving amazing. I love westerns, and weird westerns especially, and I really wish we got more of them.

Edit: I wish Darkwatch got a PC port, I just can't do FPS's on a controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crowetron posted:

I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic about this because I am a sucker for the premise of "Cowboy vs Monster". Didn't Capcom make a vampire cowboy FPS back on the PS2? Darkwatch or something like that? I remember loving that game in middle school but idk if it holds up.

I remember wanting that game but never getting around it for some reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dark watch wasn’t Capcom but Capcom did lay the foundation for Red Dead Revolver which is a very weird El Topo like boss rush arcade shooter.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crowetron posted:

Yup that's the one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsBVvVsY3o

Ah okay

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Darkwatch is cool as hell and I spent that trailer hoping it was a weird reboot of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

al-azad posted:

Dark watch wasn’t Capcom but Capcom did lay the foundation for Red Dead Revolver which is a very weird El Topo like boss rush arcade shooter.

Yeah, looking it up Capcom just published it but their logo on the box is bigger and brighter than the actual devs so lol. It also apparently didn't get a large print run since used copies of it are still being sold for like 60 bucks, yeesh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

It's Cancer Mouse from civvie's videos.

Agree with you and also someone else said the game felt like it'd be more of an immersive sim with the little town square opening up but the NPCs are just there. But the whole time I was playing the demo I was thinking man I want a first person Dark Souls that looks like this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah for the record it's basically left 4 dead 3 but with the name filed off, but if anyone has the legitimacy to do that it's...literally the people who made both l4d and l4d2 before splitting off from valve.

Holy gently caress, loving finally. I actually kind-of hate Valve for throwing L4D3 under the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQVz0dsd3k8

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's Cancer Mouse from civvie's videos.

Agree with you and also someone else said the game felt like it'd be more of an immersive sim with the little town square opening up but the NPCs are just there. But the whole time I was playing the demo I was thinking man I want a first person Dark Souls that looks like this.

Graven feels like something from 2001 in a way that's good for my nostalgia and probably bad for the game. Also this "immersive sim" poo poo needs to end, the genre is now called "froblikes"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I got it, Graven feels like a bigger budget Hedon but Hedon worked around its limitations a lot better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Graven has exactly all the issues I immedaitely recognized from their first preview video. Putting loot into generic breakables that all look interchangeable and then spamming breakables everywhere is the most obvious one. I think at this point Boomershooters are just a cargo cult and most of them really have no idea what they're doing. Just blindly worshipping the Quake-shaped box that fell from the sky.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

mind the walrus posted:

Holy gently caress, loving finally. I actually kind-of hate Valve for throwing L4D3 under the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQVz0dsd3k8

I hope to high hell they ditch the competitive mode with this game. I just want to shoot zombies.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Graven has exactly all the issues I immedaitely recognized from their first preview video. Putting loot into generic breakables that all look interchangeable and then spamming breakables everywhere is the most obvious one. I think at this point Boomershooters are just a cargo cult and most of them really have no idea what they're doing. Just blindly worshipping the Quake-shaped box that fell from the sky.
But I like breaking things.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

SCheeseman posted:

But I like breaking things.

And if things keep going this way I just might play some FPS tonight

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Did they announce the perfect dark 360 port coming to PC? I just can't get into console shooters they feel bad.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Keiya posted:

Did they announce the perfect dark 360 port coming to PC? I just can't get into console shooters they feel bad.

you can just play that one specialized emulator build if you wanna play perfect dark on pc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's hilarious to me that valve is so hosed up it's easier to get a game made by quitting and going somewhere else

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

site posted:

It's hilarious to me that valve is so hosed up it's easier to get a game made by quitting and going somewhere else

Companies exist to make money, and valve makes way more money by not making games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Steam makes money not valve. Valve hires people and then does nothing with them. Valve could close up so they wouldn't be paying all those employees if that was the goal

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Valve did just released a new HL game and it’s clear from the end of it that they’re at least starting to work on a HL3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was clear from the end of hl2ep2 they were starting work on hl3 too. I'll believe it when it's in my steam library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought HL3 was all but officially canceled and that's why the writer posted a thinly veiled summary of its plot.