Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

visual calculus is one of the few skills that i've truly imagined a voice for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Really playing a game of telephone here but someone on reddit says that the devs confirmed on discord that the skills WILL be voiced. If anyone's on there and able to confirm, that would be sweet!

edit: also, drat, so much for the game's relatively slim filesize lol

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Honestly the biggest improvement of all this is just being able to hear more Cuno; everything else is just extra.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doc Hawkins posted:

visual calculus is one of the few skills that i've truly imagined a voice for

Volition, for me. Volition I can hear very clearly in my head whenever I read his lines.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Warad posted:

Honestly the biggest improvement of all this is just being able to hear more Cuno; everything else is just extra.

Yeah, more quality time getting talked down to/yelled at by Cuno is gonna be sweet.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Volition, for me. Volition I can hear very clearly in my head whenever I read his lines.

for some reason I imagined Volition with a feminine voice at first and personally it just works in an amazing way

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

for some reason I imagined Volition with a feminine voice at first and personally it just works in an amazing way

I still read logic as GLADos

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

RudeCat posted:

Yeah, more quality time getting talked down to/yelled at by Cuno is gonna be sweet.

gently caress DOES CUNO CARE

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

There are some absolutely bonkers unvoiced lines in this game, and I can't wait to hear all of them.

Really curious to hear how the super rich guy is gonna sound

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm gonna spend 250 dollars

More like $275 after shipping

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

MrMidnight posted:

More like $275 after shipping

It's like 294 in the US w/ taxes but who's counting really

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'd rather they spent the time making each skill equally worthwhile. Add a few more lines of dialogue here and there for the underused skills. To me that'd really complete the game -- rather than having full voice acting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Somebody in this thread suggested this, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Drama voiced by Wayne June.

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

One of the devs confirmed that the skills are also fully voice acted. This should be interesting. If the voices are nearly as good as your opening thoughts when you're coming out of your bender, it's gonna be good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can't wait to hear about how Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i cant wait to see who they get to voice electrochemistry

i always imagined shivers shoulding like the limbic system

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If one of the big updates is fixing the shivers check being the only way to reach the ending this would be an INSANE improvement on an already great game
You need literally 0 points in Shivers to have a 97% chance to pass that check.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the new release trailer in the game awards thing (that show was awwwful) was the first time i'd seen anything about this game and it looks absolutely perfect for my partner so i think i will buy it for her on the nintombger switch

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 11, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Drewsky posted:

That's really loving cool about the big update.

I havent finished the game yet and I'm really dumb and need a little help. No spoilers really and probably everyone's finished before me but I'm spoilering anyway.

I'm on Day 4 and have seemingly hit a wall at "convince Titus of your authority" or whatever. I've wondered around and done everything that I can find other than that trying to scrounge up XP to put into authority so I can try the check again but can't find anything that's going to get me there. Am I screwed and need to reload to a point before my last skillpoint assignment, am I missing something obvious?

Have you :- [spoilered for general principle, but shouldn't generally be spoilers]
Investigated the back door of the bookshop?
Dealt with some cool kids in a tent?
Helped Mr Evart and Joyce?
Found a cool gross jacket and it's owner?
Run around checking insect traps?
Explored the boardwalk?
Realised you can talk to people you can't walk to, like that strangely charming man smoking on a balcony.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

goferchan posted:

Really playing a game of telephone here but someone on reddit says that the devs confirmed on discord that the skills WILL be voiced. If anyone's on there and able to confirm, that would be sweet!

edit: also, drat, so much for the game's relatively slim filesize lol

Ehh, if they use a new enough codec then even like 100 hours of speech would take less than 5gb (opus does really well at even 48kbps, and thats less than half 5gb for 100h speech)

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Oh no, I hate voice acting in wordy games. I hope you can turn it off. I assume this is driven by the console release, ime console players usually demand full voice acting.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Oh no, I hate voice acting in wordy games. I hope you can turn it off. I assume this is driven by the console release, ime console players usually demand full voice acting.

I'd be really surprised if you couldnt. Can you turn it off in the current edition?

I'm most excited about this new area! I wonder where it is!

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Tylana posted:

Have you :- [spoilered for general principle, but shouldn't generally be spoilers]
Investigated the back door of the bookshop?
Dealt with some cool kids in a tent?
Helped Mr Evart and Joyce?
Found a cool gross jacket and it's owner?
Run around checking insect traps?
Explored the boardwalk?
Realised you can talk to people you can't walk to, like that strangely charming man smoking on a balcony.

Yes I’ve done all that. I guess it was just stupid of me to not put the points I gained from doing those things into authority.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Actually, IIRC the problem is more that you've spent them all. If you fail the test a few times, I believe things progress regardless, but if you can't retry it then that's a problem.

EDIT : If you haven't Ask Evrart to tell them to help you, it's a boost and might reopen the check. but I'm guessing you already have.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 11, 2020

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Yes exactly, I can’t retry the check without spending points to authority and I’ve sort of expended every way to get points currently? Seems to be what’s going on. Idk I’ll wonder around the world some more tonight probably and see if I can figure something out other than loading an old save.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Could also look into just hacking some extra points into your save file. I think it's not toooo hard? But not done it myself. C:\Users\[USER NAME HERE]\AppData\LocalLow\ZAUM Studio\Disco Elysium\SaveGames has them and it's a file in a zip you can open with a text editor as it's a json. Skill Points and Money are next to each other, or so some googling suggests.

But yeah, while this is an amazing game, regular rotating saves can be a big help against frustration.

EDIT : This is also one reason why I kind of wish the game just reopened white checks every morning. A fresh day, a fresh perspective.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Tylana posted:

EDIT : This is also one reason why I kind of wish the game just reopened white checks every morning. A fresh day, a fresh perspective.

Totally agree. Thanks for the help

It’s mostly my fault since I knew what I needed but I ran around and did all the side quests and follow ups because I thought there would be an alternative open up, I hadn’t hit a hard lock like this before in the game so didn’t imagine it would happen. Wish I would have discovered I was stuck and reloaded before I finished all the side quests in the west lol

Drewsky fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 11, 2020

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Drewsky posted:

Totally agree. Thanks for the help

It’s mostly my fault since I knew what I needed but I ran around and did all the side quests and follow ups because I thought there would be an alternative open up, I hadn’t hit a hard lock like this before in the game so didn’t imagine it would happen. Wish I would have discovered I was stuck and reloaded before I finished all the side quests in the west lol

You might want to see what dialogue you can exhaust too. I had a few spots where I thought I was stuck but then found a new conversation tree to go down and eventually scrape enough experience to get a level. The casebook is good for that if you haven't already completely cleaned out its dialogue

That check is one that you should have a guaranteed way to get past, Kim should be able to help you get past it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I feel like the only way to voice the skills right is to get one versatile voice actor and have them do all of the skills in different styles.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm glad this game got so much attention and appreciation. It really really deserves it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Oh no, I hate voice acting in wordy games. I hope you can turn it off.

Disco Pope posted:

I'd be really surprised if you couldnt. Can you turn it off in the current edition?

you can, that's how i played most of the game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Consumeristically* A little bit let down by the merch store. But I do want to see how hideous the thought cabinet shirt is in reality

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I can't believe they're not selling the tie. It's iconic and a conversation starter!

:gonk:: "What is that hideous piece of cloth hanging from your neck?"

Fortunately, I found one on Etsy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can't believe they're not selling the tie.

They’re probably worried about being held liable for starting fires.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

voices that nailed it

Mike Goodman - Ancient Reptilian Brain / Limbic System / Spinal Cord / Bird's Nest Roy / The Deserter / Ruud Hoenkloeven / Idiot Doom Spiral / Don't Call Abigail (voice)

well gently caress this guy got range, bravo

Jullian Champenois - Kim Kitsuragi

searching about it just found out they specifically looked out for a native french speaker that was fluent in japanese, nice touch

Dizzy Dros - Measurehead

...They got a Moroccan hip hop superstar to do this and it was amazing, I loved how he used the french words instead of the english ones when they were similar ("YOU GAVE THE WORLD ELECTRICITÉ")

Dot Major - Cuno / Jean Vicquemare

lmao, I only found it right now: this is the drummer and keyboard from London Grammar and wouldn't believe at first that he did these two voices himself?!?!?!

Tegen Hitchens - Joyce Messier / Working Class Woman / De Paule / Netpicker / The Pigs (voice)

killed it particularly with Joyce, but a pity that they seemed to have recorded too early or something because the quality of the audio oscillates a bunch, she totally deserves to re-record given how important the character is

Tariq Khan - Evrart Claire / Tomas the Sponsor / Egg Head / Andre (voice)

honestly I loved Evrart's delivery a lot and it was one of the most understated ones, brilliant job by the guy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Tariq Khan - Evrart Claire / Tomas the Sponsor / Egg Head / Andre (voice)

honestly I loved Evrart's delivery a lot and it was one of the most understated ones, brilliant job by the guy

same but Egg Head

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Who?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If they have one person for all the skills I expect it would be Goodman. Wish him luck if so, that sounds like a loving crazy hard job

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rich guy made of light, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dizzy Dros deserves so many accolades for somehow getting through Measurehead's lines without breaking down in laughter. I know he did on quite a few takes during the making of thing, but he really made Measurehead more memorable.