Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

No Wave posted:

THREE NEW RELEVANT REDEMPTION CODES FOR NA (~100 primos each):
5KVEIBSXDUU
and
G3TQQ6TOQME
and
eATDgIXLD56

Awesome! Also, these are valid for EU as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

uh, I assume this is related to the zhong quest (which I've stopped doing until Paimon gets VA for it :colbert:) but still it shocked the hell out of me.

lol dropped nothing but a zhonger voice line. i'll take it.

kater fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 11, 2020

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tsyni posted:

Is this a joke or a for real thing? Do we know Albedo's banner?

No Wave posted:

It's a joke about Ganyu's desirability

yeah sorry i probably should've made that clearer

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I want Ganyu though :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Everyone does

kater
Nov 16, 2010

a sucrose/bennett banner would be ahhhhh ahhhh real good.

actually after looking they both have some kinda questionable constellations. but holy crap gimme more xiangling, these all seem awesome. and Fischl's c6 seems a good way to just break the game.

kater fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 11, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Ganyu will be good if you don't mind quick sniping. Less so if you're on a phone or use a controller.

Personally, she seems like she might be kind of absurd if you have the right bow. Before I got Tartaglia Viri I used that one 4 star bow that boosts damage for around 10s on a weak point hit. He was doing bonkers amounts of damage and he wasn't even properly geared. It also almost made his sniping damage comparable to his melee damage at the time.

Her being a cyro sniper that can take advantage of that could finally help plug the cyro hole a bunch of people have when it comes to DPS. Which is keeping a lot of people from moving on past some of the floors of the Abyss.

And in case someone suggests it: No, Kaeya doesn't count. He sucks. Dude gets one tiny splurt of cyro damage that requires him to get close up to things that really want him close by so they can squish him. And that one splurt of damage doesn't even reliably drop a shield all the way (Or even halfway in some cases.). Meaning unless you want to hang around the very dangerous mob (Looking at you, lightning fatui hammer guys.) with his burst up while potentially having a frontal AOE cyro user or worse spamming damage at Kaeya you're stuck waiting for it to drop the hammer guy's shields.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 11, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
To clarify, I just want Ganyu because of her character design and voice acting. Just like Zhongli! I can already tell this is gonna go great.

Although I am on PC, mouse+kb, so if she actually gets good with the sick MLG headshotz that's even better!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
depending on her internal cooldown, ganyu's ult will be somewhere between incredibly mediocre and xingqiu++ level busted as a support for klee/diluc/benny too.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also c1 kaeya absolutely is not going to suck in 1.2 with a freeze composition, the new artifact set will make it easy for him to achieve 100% crit rate against frozen targets with a black sword, allowing him to output horseshit autoattack numbers while by the way keeping his victim near permanently disabled

he'll probably need either c2 or chongyun support to keep targets frozen though, and the composition is literally useless in abyss 12

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I am a bit annoyed that bows aren't getting a new craftable. They've released Venti, Tartaglia, Diona, and Ganyu (half of the new characters released will have been bow users) and yet bows are the only weapon type that doesn't get a new craftable option - and their current craftables are the worst in the game. How did they make that decision?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 11, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

No Wave posted:

I am a bit annoyed that bows aren't getting a new craftable. They've released Venti, Tartaglia, Diona, and Ganyu (half of the new characters released will have been bow users) and yet bows are the only weapon type that doesn't get a new craftable option? When their current craftables are the worst in the game? How did they make that decision?

It may just be me, but aren't there a few more bows than almost every other weapon type? Also, their weapons are almost unilaterally good to excellent in some way, even if it's limited to a concept for some of them.

I've gotten so many of them and catalysts that i'm actively hurting for something in another category. Like spears. Which appear to not even have that many options outside of craftables and that five star that i'm not whaling to get.

That reminds me, how good is Zhongli's 5 star gacha spear for him?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For 4*s gacha has 4 swords, 2 spears, 4 claymores, 4 catalyst, 4 bows. Every weapon has two 5*s.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

No Wave posted:

I am a bit annoyed that bows aren't getting a new craftable. They've released Venti, Tartaglia, Diona, and Ganyu (half of the new characters released will have been bow users) and yet bows are the only weapon type that doesn't get a new craftable option? When their current craftables are the worst in the game? How did they make that decision?

Just speculating here, but maybe they're deliberately trying to make archery underpowered, because of how impossible it is to balance between controller and mouse+kb. People would be unhappy if the new abyss meta required mouse aiming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If bows are a mechanic they want to move away from why would 4/8 of the new characters since the game released use bows? And why would Ganyu be focused around charged shots? Idk what they're up to and we'll get a new craftable bow eventually but it's just strange to give us a new craftable spear for the two spear users in the game (when both spear craftables are already excellent).

I'll get by, it just means picking up Viridescent Hunt next month. But it's the weapon type that needed a new craftable the most. (Sword getting Festering Fang is amazing and is exactly what sword needed)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 11, 2020

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
It's a pretty obvious business decision not to drop Ganyu at the same time they are about to give out a ton of free summons, since she's obviously the moneymaker of 1.2. But it's still incredibly stupid that they drop 2 mediocre Geo characters in a row. Unless Albedo is actually really strong, it's going to get people riled up again. There's about a 100% chance that Bennett is on Albedo's banner, because that's the only way they are going to bait people into rolling on Albedo's banner.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ashenai posted:

Just speculating here, but maybe they're deliberately trying to make archery underpowered, because of how impossible it is to balance between controller and mouse+kb. People would be unhappy if the new abyss meta required mouse aiming.

I mean, we literally have only one upcoming character focused around sniping. I feel like that's fair given that Fischl is a reaction builder with her skill, Tartaglia is just about putting out absolutely lol amounts of skill and burst damage in melee, Amber is Amber, etc, etc.

Having at least one character that makes use of the sniping mechanic seems wise if they don't want it relegated to being useless outside of gimmicks mobs use.

And I have to disagree with the idea that they're making archery underpowered. One of the craftable bows is in fact absurdly good if you know how to use it.

Prototype Crescent rewards you for scoring headshots and weak point hits with a 36% damage increase and 10% movement speed (Which doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize that it boosts speed enough to be at least somewhat trivial to dodge attacks from many types of mobs while staying in snipe mode.) increase per hit for 10s with no cd on reapplying it at rank 1. At rank five it gives a whopping 72% attack increase and 10% movement speed increase at max rank.

And it doesn't stop there. It keeps stacking damage in other ways.

It also has attack% as it's substat, boosting the damage numbers even higher. Meaning it's also excellent for DPS characters that have the normal attack skills to brawl or put down skills and bursts between sniping/a single snipe to buff themselves up for using other abilities.

Given the sheer amount of attack it stacks on a character you can eventually one shot smaller mobs and rapidly spam absurd amounts of damage on large and elite ones between their attack phases as well. Stack crit and crit damage on top of that and you potentially start getting insane damage numbers that can rival or even exceed some bursts. This goes even further if you have other skills that increase physical damage or reduce physical resistance (Xinyan is good for this. So is a Dragonslayer for spike dps.). Only you don't need to wait for a recharge to use the bow.

As a side note, once you realize how to quickly cancel out of and re-enter snipe mode you can also easily dodge attacks and apply a snipe on the side of an enemy's head too. Meaning you can literally use snipe mode as a melee attack. It's even entirely doable to do this for the giant Hilichurl's.

It's more apt to say that many of the current bows that people have access too are all niche to certain playstyles in some way. And one of the best easily obtainable 4 star bows we currently have is at least partially snipe focused. However, if you actually use it that way it can be absurdly strong with the right build.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 11, 2020

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't say anything about mobile but using a bow with a controller is really not difficult

they make a bunch of new characters bow users and don't give you good craftable bows so you have to roll for them or buy the battle pass

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
let's gooooooo

kinda bummed i golded them all because i want to do more gliding challenges now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Trihugger posted:

There's about a 100% chance that Bennett is on Albedo's banner, because that's the only way they are going to bait people into rolling on Albedo's banner.

They're gonna roll because new Lancer waifu, most people don't know Bennet is mechanically good

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's gonna be really hard not to pull since my next pull will literally be a 5*... I want Ganyu but if Bennett is on the next banner, that's where the real challenge is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Preliminary polling results:

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

They're gonna roll because new Lancer waifu, most people don't know Bennet is mechanically good

Don't think the new 4* is on the Al banner.

Now if she's on Ganyu's that'll be great because that's what I'm hoarding Paimon dollars for

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The word is she's cryo (despite being red). Unless they change her element she can't be on Ganyu banner. We may be getting no new 4*s this patch.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I should also add onto all those :words: about bows and why Prototype Crescent is so powerful up above that Ganyu is probably going to be incredibly powerful with it equipped as a 4 star alternative. Ganyu supposedly is a cyro character. Which means that that bow is pretty much built for her in multiple ways.

First of all, as a cyro character that means her charged shots are elemental based on top of (assuming the standard for charged shots remains true) having a large multiplier. Cyro slows down mobs in both movement and attack. Meaning that not only is she going to be able to put out more snipe damage before vulnerable weak points disappear behind a shield or an obstacle but that it'll also be much easier score those hits in rapid succession. If the leaks are true that she has an abnormally high charge rate on her snipe mode then that potential for damage gets even more absurd since she can rapidly put shots out that cyro enemies.

In addition to that, since cyro slows enemies down that 10% move speed boost goes even further in making her untouchable. Meaning that aside for massive AOE attacks it ought to be damned near impossible to hit her if you know the attack patterns and are scoring a headshot at least once every 10s.

She sounds a lot like Tartaglia in that she sounds underpowered at first. But like Tartaglia a cursory look at her skills doesn't really show the potential she has. Looking at other aspects of the gameplay suggests that she'll not only make it very beneficial to use snipe mode but also potentially make it easier for phone and controller characters to score hits.

Of course all of this could get changed before she gets released. But as it is her actual use seems to be quite high.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 11, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Aimed shots are a hideously undertuned mechanic and going into them is pain. Ganyu might maybe make charged shots viable because her charged shots deal 2.5 times as much damage as a normal character's (that's how incredibly bad charged shots are at the moment - 2.5 times stronger is a maybe). So atm it has been a 42 base atk weapon with ATK% and no text, which is bad.

Compound bow does everything you want but for a very weak mechanic, bow autos, that everyone wants to get out of asap. Prototype Aminus, Prototype Grudge, Iron Sting, and Mappa Mare would all be way more useful than either of the bow craftables.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

No Wave posted:

Aimed shots are a hideously undertuned mechanic and going into them is pain. Ganyu might maybe make charged shots viable because her charged shots deal 2.5 times as much damage as a normal character's (that's how incredibly bad charged shots are at the moment - 2.5 times stronger is a maybe). So atm it has been a 42 base atk weapon with ATK% and no text, which is bad.

Compound bow does everything you want but for a very weak mechanic, bow autos, that everyone wants to get out of asap. Prototype Aminus, Prototype Grudge, Iron Sting, and Mappa Mare would all be way more useful than either of the bow craftables.

Compound bow isn't the bow i'm talking about though? That gives an entirely different stat that isn't useful at all for sniping (And arguably any sort of DPS at all due to the way it's built.) due to the rate it applies and the miniscule amount of damage it gives both intermittently and as a possible maximum. Which is probably where you're mistaken if you think sniping and bows aren't very powerful.

Compound bow is also not a very good weapon for anything but auto attacks, and even then it's extremely underpowered compared to what a prototype crescent can do. For starters, it gives a very small amount of attack and (only) normal attack speed per hit every .3 (4% at no refine, 8% damage at max refine. You can only get that damage buff every .3s and caps out at 4 stacks no matter what. And it will lose those stacks in 6s. Meaning good luck sustaining it or using it for sniping to good effect.) and caps out at 32% attack damage at max refine. Prototype Crescent almost doubles that damage with a 10s long 72% damage increase for one single hit on an enemy with no cooldown while potentially enabling consistent high damage snipe hits through movement speed buffs.

To put the massive difference in the two bows into perspective, you'd have to be consistently hitting an enemy for 1.2 seconds with a max refine Compound Bow just to get 4% less than the damage buffs one quick snipe from a Prototype Crescent with no refinement whatsoever would do. Also, Compound Bow explicitly limits you to physical damage due to it's substat. Which is garbage for the bow users we have so far. Meanwhile, Prototype Crescent just gives a straight attack% as a substat instead of the physical damage buff that Compound Bow gives. And that's before you even start using Prototype Crescent's special damage buffing ability. Prototype Crescent's stat layout also coincidentally enables crit damage and crit chance builds for even further absurd DPS.

Even for auto attacking Prototype Crescent beats out the Compound bow by a country mile since you could just swap in for a snipe with a Prototype Crescent to start attacking to get more damage quicker, for far longer, with more reliability, and no has downtime to hold your overall DPS back. Also, the way Prototype Crescent works means both it's substat and trait boost that character's elemental skill and burst instead of just auto attack.

Or to put it in a more TL;DR: way: It's Compound Bow that's incredibly bad, not bows. Given the current characters released at the time of this post you should never forge it instead of Prototype Crescent. Given how awful it is compared to Prototype Crescent i'm not even sure why it's there except to screw over people who don't think about how the weapons work when being used.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 11, 2020

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
everyone in the beta that i know of says that a) ganyu is absurdly powerful as a main dps and b) there is an approximately 110% chance that she will be numerically nerfed in some way before release

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have guaranteed banner pity saved for Ganyu so I should be able to get her which is nice. I'm going to grab the Prototype Crescent for her aimed shots and start farming the cryo artifact set for her ASAP.

My planned team comp with Ganyu as main DPS is probably Ganyu/Mona/Kaeya/Noelle and go for freeze + crit build. Mona to set up freeze, Kaeya for cryo resonance + a DPS build in case of fights that need melee, and Noelle for healing + shields + breaking stuff with claymores.

Before you ask, I don't have Xingqiu :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At the rate they are pumping out free primos I'll have more than enough gems to get ganyu. Even if they nerf her numerically, if she can apply cold every second via her Q she'd be useful for me. If you can build her as a hard carry it would be even better.

He'll I'll probably have enough for her and to some pulls on the weapon banner, hopefully we'll get a good one for her.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dom is Here posted:

Don't think the new 4* is on the Al banner.

Two different 4 star lancers were leaked. Hu Tao and Rosario.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

None of which are in the 1.2 preview video, which I guess is why people think they aren't going to be ready for it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Archonex posted:

That reminds me, how good is Zhongli's 5 star gacha spear for him?

it's very good because it's a 5*, but imo it's the worst 5* for him. He doesn't scale super hard with attack, so the substat is not by any means bad but not that useful. Also the passive requires the wielder to be on the field to benefit from the shield strength (sadly, the way it works is the same as bolide -- you lose the 20% as soon as you switch off the wearer) and requires him to be autoing to get the attack buff, but if your John Lee is on the field autoing you will do more damage with Crescent Pike.

PJWS has a better DPS substat (but still probably loses to Crescent Pike) and Spine has an amazing support substat to go with its (almost entirely wasted, if you're support) passive. I'd rather have either one of them.

If VV had HP% substat it would probably be amazing for him, but would probably have sold fewer gacha rolls

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 11, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Diona and Xinyan had their gameplay shown off during the last livestream so I think Rosaria not being playable in 1.2 is a safe assumption. The new leak/rumor is that Hu Tao was promoted to 5* for 1.3 a.) because her design was already popular having barely been leaked and b.) maybe they're taking complaints of too many male banners seriously.

The new event looks like a nightmare on mobile. Pretty good rewards tho.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no new 4* on banner is such a buzzkill 😔

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

dogsicle posted:

no new 4* on banner is such a buzzkill 😔
true

but I'm viewing it as 3 stress free weeks where my rate of gaining XP books, talent books and mora will finally outpace my rate of consumption

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Their 5* banner for christmas is a geo support we haven't met and the weapon banner is rumored to be another terrible set of geo weapons no one wants. I feel like they're leaving some money on the table here.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dom is Here posted:

Apparently you take damage from being frozen now. lol

It's not frozen as an elemental reaction, it's getting too chilly on the mountain area. Basically you will need to replenish your heat regularly while exploring, they showed multiple ways to regain heat, including some craftable one(s?).

No Wave posted:

Their 5* banner for christmas is a geo support we haven't met and the weapon banner is rumored to be another terrible set of geo weapons no one wants. I feel like they're leaving some money on the table here.

It's a christmas present of letting us keep our money ww

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Having no new 4* units is a big bummer. Doesn't make want to roll on the banners at all, except maybe to break my pity if I feel like it (at 70 now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not rolling on poo poo until Venti's on a banner :colbert: