Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

Made the mistake of answering a question on Reddit. Got auto-deleted despite following all the rules. Way to immediately validate my decision to never post there.

What was the question and what was the answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

What was the question and what was the answer?

Oh man this is extra ridiculous

Someone didn't get this:

https://imgur.com/NvmFM9o

I'm passing by this, and it's patently obvious what the joke is. Like come on... So I just say "one bio says friend, the other just says 'roommate'. It's a bit of a slight." Then I see one of their AUTODELETE rules is "put "Answer:" before your answer" which is dumb as gently caress but I do it. And then it gets automodded, and I'm sent a copy of the rules. Which were three rules, all of which I'd followed, one of which was the dumb "Answer:" thing.

Keep in mind this is my second-ever reddit post since making my account years ago, because I pretty much only look at pictures on it. Discussion is best left to goons, who do it so much it's not fun anymore

It's a dumb complaint but why make it so hard to discuss on a discussion forum?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

It's a dumb complaint but why make it so hard to discuss on a discussion forum?

I would assume it's because of rampant spam and botting, and instead of Reddit as a platform/service actually figuring out that issue, individual subreddits just have to try to figure out how to deal with unserious and spam stuff.
Having a bot understand that it has to slap in 'Answer:' at the start of any message on that subreddit probably means they get wiped.

Aka: Another example of platform creators being poo poo at actually making their platform good to use for users, instead of just mashing the 'engagement++' and 'money++' buttons until the site eventually dies.

Another hugely annoying Reddit thing:
Occasionally, rarely, finding that one useful bit of information/answer you were looking for.
Except it got deleted because the person that posted it removed/hid their account and ran a script to mass-edit every single thing they ever posted.
(Which they do because they can't actually delete their own messages, but they can edit everything they've ever posted.)

So you get the great:
Question for something obscure?
[deleted by user]
A bunch of people thanking that user for the great answer, which now doesn't exist anymore.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Brawnfire posted:

My wife: Go take a shower!
Also my wife, while I'm showering: Washer go on! Dishwasher go on! Toilet go flush! :buddy:

hey bud

i think we're married to the same woman :ohdear:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People referring to internet people as "at (username)".

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

was supposed to get a call from a doctor today at noon, was planned a month and a half ago, dude calls me at 10:00 on a private number while im on the toilet so i cant call him back

i dunno why medical stuff isn't done mostly through email or even chat anyway. it's way easier to list off symptoms and just send a picture of something if it's in text form instead of the rushed atmosphere of a hospital and it's way less of a pain in the rear end for both sides im sure

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate smokes two weeks worth of weed in 4 days every drat time she talks to her sister, then insists that there wasn't much weed in the sack, every, drat, time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

was supposed to get a call from a doctor today at noon, was planned a month and a half ago, dude calls me at 10:00 on a private number while im on the toilet so i cant call him back

i dunno why medical stuff isn't done mostly through email or even chat anyway. it's way easier to list off symptoms and just send a picture of something if it's in text form instead of the rushed atmosphere of a hospital and it's way less of a pain in the rear end for both sides im sure

I don’t understand why phone calls are still used in 90% of cases. Or voicemails over text/email. Or, especially, people who pick up the phone mid-actual-conversation and have another conversation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Iron Crowned posted:

My roommate smokes two weeks worth of weed in 4 days every drat time she talks to her sister, then insists that there wasn't much weed in the sack, every, drat, time.

Is this your weed?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oldpainless posted:

Is this your weed?

Half of it. I'm just going to start scooping my half off the top right away to solve the problem. I'm just more annoyed that I have to go get more because I don't want to be around other people right now thanks to COVID.

The other 3 weeks of the month are fine, it's just the block of days leading up to it, she gets stressed and smokes it all, and stresses me out because then it's all gone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s a crime that booze delivery is legal but not weed

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's because drugs are bad whilst alcohol is good.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t understand why phone calls are still used in 90% of cases. Or voicemails over text/email. Or, especially, people who pick up the phone mid-actual-conversation and have another conversation.

Because a back-and-forth audio conversation can accomplish in seconds what would take many minutes of back-and-forth emailing or texting. The bandwidth is so much higher. Tone of voice, immediate feedback (poo poo like "mmhmm" or whatever), and stuff like that makes the communication much smoother, and all the time spent typing and sending adds up quickly. A doctor who's doing phone call consultations absolutely can't afford to spend all day thumb-typing text messages and waiting around for the patients to do the same.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Telemedicine sucks on both sides of the equation and you can’t take vitals and all that, you’re missing senses (there’s a bunch of stuff you can recognize by smell alone- UTI’s and diabetic keto acidosis are the first two that come to mind), and it’s often a frustrating mess as a patient. That last time I had to use it was when I needed a return to work note for a job after I had coronavirus. I got all the way to talking to the NP and she was like “I don’t know why they sent you along this far, we don’t do return to work over telemedicine since we can’t take vitals”. I was volunteering at an ambulance agency while I was on the call, so I was lucky enough to be able to go “hold on, we’re doing this” and hooked myself up to a monitor on camera. For most people that wouldn’t have really been an option.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also why I said “90%” and not “always”

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i guess i also like the idea that an email exchange is more objective and doesnt rely so much on how the patient behaves. like i hate asking for help and being dramatic but i know the doctor is used to a different kind of patient so i always feel dissatisfied when i leave the clinic, i'd prefer it if i could just objectively list symptoms and for him to cross reference it with what he knows and prescribe me something or make me come over if he thinks it's really necessary

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

i guess i also like the idea that an email exchange is more objective and doesnt rely so much on how the patient behaves. like i hate asking for help and being dramatic but i know the doctor is used to a different kind of patient so i always feel dissatisfied when i leave the clinic, i'd prefer it if i could just objectively list symptoms and for him to cross reference it with what he knows and prescribe me something or make me come over if he thinks it's really necessary

Just listing symptoms would give you terrible, terrible diagnoses. Like you may as well just check webmd at that point. How people are acting and a whole lot of little things are huuuge in diagnosing people- “not relying on how the patient behaves” is saying “cut out a ton of context and little bits of information that you can pick up”.

Like, if someone is complaining of photosensitivity and a headache that sounds like a migraine. If someone is complaining of photosensitivity and a headache and also isn’t moving their neck now it sounds like meningitis.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When you get a box of saltine crackers and they all have the one edge brown/overcooked. I don't know how it happens and why they haven't solved the problem yet, but it ruins the flavor (what little there is to begin with) of the cracker. Garbage cracker.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This rag. Firefighters don't deserve to be lumped into this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nothing in TV shows or movies makes me more anxious than when a character says they're going to meet someone at a particular time and then starts doing something that is obviously going to take too long or cause them or oversleep or whatever. Either cancel the appointment or set an alarm for gently caress's sake.

The character could be being hunted by a psychopath in an abandoned amusement park that's on fire but if someone, somewhere else, is waiting for them to arrive for a pre-arranged meeting then it's the being late aspect that's getting to me. The rest of it is trivial by comparison.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't understand why being late is considered the norm. "Meet at 8" means trying to be there around 8, not that 8 is the earliest possible time you plan to be there. If that were the case then say "meet at 8:30."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't understand why being late is considered the norm. "Meet at 8" means trying to be there around 8, not that 8 is the earliest possible time you plan to be there. If that were the case then say "meet at 8:30."

My roommate is almost like this, somehow despite waiting until the last possible minute to be ready, then having to stop to find her Burt's Bees, we only arrive about a minute late (my aggressive driving probably helps). I've learned to just locate the Burt's bees while she's busy getting ready.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I get stressed out by restaurant scenes. Why do they get written so often?

First off, the characters controlling the pace and tension in a restaurant feels unrealistic. Everyone has real-life experiences with restaurants, and it's not like is portrayed. There's a lot of waiting and poo poo that just gets excised. People come in, people leave randomly, nobody pays...

Then they order food sometimes, or whoever was there first "ordered already" but the food showing up is always the END of the scene, or close enough that there's no food eaten. Which pisses me off, at least have a cursory sip or gesture with a fry, but so often there's a plate set down, terse words are exchanged, and now a cup of coffee and a plate of food is just sitting there. I swear I've seen an angry doggy-bag request scene in some comedy or another.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This rag. Firefighters don't deserve to be lumped into this.

Everyone I know with a blue line flag is a firefighter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Everyone I know with a blue line flag is a firefighter.

Ok lump those firefighers in but they count as the blue line for being trash.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Lots of firefighters are chuds and it also makes sense that people who have a close working relationship with police would be more likely to support them. They still have a job that’s actually useful/helpful and can outweigh having bad takes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lots of firefighters are chuds and it also makes sense that people who have a close working relationship with police would be more likely to support them. They still have a job that’s actually useful/helpful and can outweigh having bad takes.

I would say that like 85-90 percent of the firefighters I know are at least chud-adjacent. People really underestimate how right wing a lot of fire departments are. EMS is like...60-40 leaning chud adjacent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would say that like 85-90 percent of the firefighters I know are at least chud-adjacent. People really underestimate how right wing a lot of fire departments are. EMS is like...60-40 leaning chud adjacent.

stop reminding me of Staten Island I just want to imagine firefighters are nice ok

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

All fitted sheets should be required to have “top or bottom” and “side” labels sewn into them. I got a set of really nice linen sheets and they’re great but the fitted sheet is somehow the most difficult sheet I have ever used in my life. All orientations of the sheet look wrong. The first three times I put it on are wrong. Yes I know I should just sew my own labels on it but I shouldn’t have to, okay :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Because a back-and-forth audio conversation can accomplish in seconds what would take many minutes of back-and-forth emailing or texting. The bandwidth is so much higher. Tone of voice, immediate feedback (poo poo like "mmhmm" or whatever), and stuff like that makes the communication much smoother, and all the time spent typing and sending adds up quickly. A doctor who's doing phone call consultations absolutely can't afford to spend all day thumb-typing text messages and waiting around for the patients to do the same.

The reverse of this is also annoying. Somebody insisting on calling you when all I wanted to know was something that she could have answered in a 5 second email.

Like I just wanted a couple clarifications on some instructions she sent me, but she insisted on calling me on Teams and walking me through the whole thing. Except she kept having microphone problems and I couldn't actually hear anything she said, so that took 10 minutes of her repeatedly unplugging and plugging her mic back in before she gave up and just screen shared me and went through the instructions step by step while I watched. poo poo took half an hour, and it wasn't even that hard! The instructions she sent had screencaps of exactly what each step looked like in the program! :argh: I am not some idiot babby, ok lady?! I can loving read!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Then they order food sometimes, or whoever was there first "ordered already" but the food showing up is always the END of the scene, or close enough that there's no food eaten. Which pisses me off, at least have a cursory sip or gesture with a fry, but so often there's a plate set down, terse words are exchanged, and now a cup of coffee and a plate of food is just sitting there. I swear I've seen an angry doggy-bag request scene in some comedy or another.

I've heard that filming scenes where the actors are eating or drinking is deeply unpleasant for everyone involved, because you usually need to get a lot of takes so they have to take that sip of water or bite into that cheeseburger the same way thirty times.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Typically I think actors spit food out if they have to eat during a scene

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Typically I think actors spit food out if they have to eat during a scene

I can't recall who it was, but in some interview an actor flat out said that eating scenes are the worst. You have to put cold food in your mouth and chew, say some lines, and have to wait for "cut" to spit it out, for hours.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I worked on a film this summer which had numerous scenes of the main actor eating, usually fish, so we got a freezer full of whole unprocessed fish which the actor would fillet and cook himself because it was very low budget and he was the only one on set who knew how.

He'd try to portion it so that he and the other actors had just about enough for one take on their plate at any time, but only if you could actually see the dish otherwise you could just reuse whatever was on the plate and not worry about continuity.

However this was partly because it was a film with a lot of very wide and shots with very few or sometimes no cuts within a scene. I imagine it's different for a bigger budget film with more characters and more coverage.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Dec 11, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

So many local TV stations around me are so clearly faking distancing. There's one person talking to another and it's dead loving obvious that they're sitting right next to each other but one side is dropped to 15 FPS to pretend they're on some sort of call.

Care or don't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Why do so many proprietary mouse programs lay out their customization menu like this, with the mouse pointing upward? This is so much harder to mentally picture being in your hand because you never hold a mouse facing this direction.

(quick photoshop)

Laying it horizontally would be so much better. Like yes now the numbers are sideways on this specific model, but they're supposed to be because that way you can read them when looking down at the mouse in your real life hand.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Why do so many proprietary mouse programs lay out their customization menu like this, with the mouse pointing upward? This is so much harder to mentally picture being in your hand because you never hold a mouse facing this direction.

(quick photoshop)

Laying it horizontally would be so much better. Like yes now the numbers are sideways on this specific model, but they're supposed to be because that way you can read them when looking down at the mouse in your real life hand.

When navigating do you prefer a static map or one that rotates as you move, and also, cardinal directions or left/right?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dip Viscous posted:

Care or don't.

This is my attitude about the whole thing. If this thing is so serious, why do so many of the "precautions" seem like Safety Theater?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When the difference between voiced and unvoiced “th” sounds in English is mentioned online and a bunch of idiot monoglot anglophones spill into the place to explain how they definitely don’t have that difference in their local accent.

Really, you’re from Cleveland and you pronounce “thigh” and “thy” identically? No you loving don’t, you just don’t pay attention to the difference because the two sounds are written the same way. It’s like saying you can’t hear the difference between “baby” and “papy”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People sayin "thy" so much they know how they pronounce it in casual conversation