Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Thanks, I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the path to enlightenment is asceticism for everyone except me

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

If you meet a dark buddhist on the road, kill them. They will respect your rational self-interest.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
To be charitable re folx, if it started on Twitter, it may have been a way to shave off a character in your tweet.

I don't know why I'm trying to be charitable, the stupidest answer usually wins.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh holy hell. I had to know how these could possibly fit together.

Dark Buddhism Website posted:

Buddhism supplied a necessary piece of the puzzle but, as an Objectivist, I simply could not accept the selflessness the Buddha taught. This is selflessness in both senses of the word: first a life of compassion toward others, and second a dissolution of the ego, becoming without self. The latter is the more familiar concept that "we are all one" or "everything in the universe is interconnected." Buddhism is not supposed to have any particular moral codes or ethics, like a religion, yet the teachings regarding compassionate living seemed to be just that. In Dark Buddhism these are all personal choices, not morality as dictated by others. It slowly dawned on me that I could take what seemed rational and "right" from Zen Buddhism, excise the parts that were inconsistent with my values, and then do the same with Objectivist epistemology and merge the two together. The psychology of self-esteem is the glue that binds the two together, and the result is Dark Buddhism, a logically consistent whole.

Bolding mine. Basically this idiot came to the realisation that Objectivism is implicitly flawed and cannot work, so they've patched up what they see as holes by using Buddhist thought to accept that bad things sometimes happen, while actively ignoring the whole "be nice to other people" thing because they don't believe that they should have to. They just find meditation helpful but also want to sneer at poor people.

It's some sort of selfishness singularity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xtal posted:

White culture isn't boring, then lists the second and third most boring of them
What's first? Please note there are no right answers here

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So basically Dark Buddhism is prevailing religious philosophy from Kill Six Billion Demons, but uncool.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if Irish and Scottish are second and third most boring, number one is logically English

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hawowanlawow posted:

if Irish and Scottish are second and third most boring, number one is logically English
But that places Welsh as less boring than something and quite frankly that's disgusting

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There are regional cultures, but what makes you an idiot is if you don’t like your dull Caucasian regional traditions and get in on one from a culture that was decimated by your own, and this is why white people should stick to square dancing your honour.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah. I think "white people have no culture," which is a completely asinine statement, is just something that was misconstrued out of "there's no such thing as 'white culture.'"

They could easily be confused for equivalent statements, but they're really not.

But white people don't have a culture, Germans do, English do, Welsh do, French do... and all those cultures include a bunch of nonwhite people..

Why aren't those statements equivalent?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

learnincurve posted:

There are regional cultures, but what makes you an idiot is if you don’t like your dull Caucasian regional traditions and get in on one from a culture that was decimated by your own, and this is why white people should stick to square dancing your honour.

Square dancing is the perfect choice here, because it was promoted by the vocal antisemite Henry Ford as an alternative to jazz, because jazz involved both Black and Jewish culture and he hated both.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooman posted:

But white people don't have a culture, Germans do, English do, Welsh do, French do... and all those cultures include a bunch of nonwhite people..

Try parsing it as "a white person does not have a culture" instead, then pluralize it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If you've had an armed anti-colonialist campaign within living memory I think you get a pass on boringness.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hooman posted:

What is the culture of a white Frenchman?

Any answer other than "none" contradicts the statement "white people have no culture."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Soylent Pudding posted:

The ways I've always heard it seriously argued is that "white people are what you get when ethnic groups trade their heritage for access to white supremacy." It's why white pride conveys something very different than say Irish pride or German pride.

This is exactly accurate:the trading of Individual ethnic status for some amorphosus "white" status. Like german, belgian ,French, irish populations have anything at all in anything except basic skin colour.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lot of gammons out there don’t know the difference between history and culture though. Within the British isles Celtic nations have managed to keep hold of a lot of the culture - clothing, music and the like but the vast majority of England just has a lot of history - the Norman conquest and then the reformation of the church by Henry VIII stamped out local culture hard

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Splicer posted:

But that places Welsh as less boring than something and quite frankly that's disgusting

Me, reading this crime of a post:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zakharov posted:

If you've had an armed anti-colonialist campaign within living memory I think you get a pass on boringness.

I assume by “had” you mean “as the colonized side”

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That weird creepy horse is 100% the best thing about welsh culture, isnt it the "grey horse and extremely dead and also threatening? welsh is so odd with it's consonent/vowel thing, so different from irish or scots gallic

Edit:
not fair to judge welshness by shallow values, welsh as a spoken language has has has a remarkable resurgance and its in the face of strong opposition.

gently caress the UK, go on the welsh.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Dec 11, 2020

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Try parsing it as "a white person does not have a culture" instead, then pluralize it.

I agree with the statement of "a white person does not have a culture" though? Their whiteness does not tell you anything about their culture.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What is the culture of a white Frenchman?

Any answer other than "none" contradicts the statement "white people have no culture."

They're presumably culturally French. That contradicts the statement "white people are incapable of having culture"

What is the culture of a white?

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just not sure how you get the reading of "white people are incapable of culture" from "white people have no culture".

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The governor of Oregon wished her constituents a happy Hanukkah last night.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Everything the white french think of as their culture was stolen from Islam during the crusades lol so no the french have no culture of their own - you have to go through European areas individually with this one.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

hooman posted:

I agree with the statement of "a white person does not have a culture" though? Their whiteness does not tell you anything about their culture.

They're presumably culturally French. That contradicts the statement "white people are incapable of having culture"

What is the culture of a white?

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just not sure how you get the reading of "white people are incapable of culture" from "white people have no culture".

That's already been answered. There is no white culture, but white people have cultures, which they may share with non-white people. The original statement that started this chain said that since white people don't have culture, they must absorb it from others who are not white, implying not that white people come from many cultures, but that white people are acultural, and that non-white origin cultures are somehow more pure and true, which is exotification and otherizing. No one denies that there is no vast, unifying white culture.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

learnincurve posted:

Everything the white french think of as their culture was stolen from Islam during the crusades lol so no the french have no culture of their own - you have to go through European areas individually with this one.

Also, this is not true.

That's the Spanish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Lot of gammons out there don’t know the difference between history and culture though. Within the British isles Celtic nations have managed to keep hold of a lot of the culture - clothing, music and the like but the vast majority of England just has a lot of history - the Norman conquest and then the reformation of the church by Henry VIII stamped out local culture hard

We still have rolling cheese down a hill and then trying to beat it to the bottom, gurning, and shin kicking.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Everything the white french think of as their culture was stolen from Islam during the crusades lol

Bonster posted:

Also, this is not true.

That's the Spanish.

And all three four of those just stole from the Greeks. :agesilaus:

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Dec 11, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
being really into polish culture in poland is basically shorthand for being white supremacist nowadays. which sucks! a thousand years of history and cool regionalisms and it’s all coopted by nazis now

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

goblin week posted:

being really into polish culture in poland is basically shorthand for being white supremacist nowadays. which sucks! a thousand years of history and cool regionalisms and it’s all coopted by nazis now

Which makes no sense to me, because the Nazis thought the Slavs were subhuman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It turns out that everyone can do a nationalism where the only thing the nazis did wrong was pick the wrong ethnicity.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
the plural of folk should be folka

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooman posted:

A white Frenchman has a French culture, thus they are a white person with a culture, but that doesn't mean that "white culture" is a thing that exists. That's exactly the point.

You just cleared up your own confusion in a single post and then somehow continued to be confused about it :psyduck:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

christmas boots posted:

the plural of folk should be folka

Folken.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The plural of folk is folk though?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Goon culture is nerdy shrieking about poo poo for pages after anyone stopped reading.

https://twitter.com/TessaJeanMiller/status/1337118987604389894?s=20

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
that sign is actually saying that dad fills a diva cup with jizz in just three pumps

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pookah posted:

That weird creepy horse is 100% the best thing

The Mabinogion is amazing, and if you like legends at all you should read it. My favorite bit is when our questing heroes have to get hair plucked from the beard of a living giant. They dig a pit trap. The next line is "And then they busied themselves making tweezers" which is the most sensible thing I have ever seen in a quest.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Goon culture is nerdy shrieking about poo poo for pages after anyone stopped reading.

https://twitter.com/TessaJeanMiller/status/1337118987604389894?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mak0rz posted:

A white Frenchman has a French culture, thus they are a white person with a culture, but that doesn't mean that "white culture" is a thing that exists. That's exactly the point.

You just cleared up your own confusion in a single post and then somehow continued to be confused about it :psyduck:

Couldn't you argue the same about black culture though? Cos when people talk about it they almost always mean African American culture.