Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve definitely encountered whole praeger u videos as ads before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yeah, I've seen it with PragerU, with some "comedy" channel that was apparently making their entire videos ads for some reason (hoping they'd go viral? inflating view count?), and weirdly enough with some iron-forging show once. They always have the skip option but it's annoying when your phone or whatever is out of arm's reach and you have to get up to get back to the regular video. I finally bit the bullet and got Youtube Premium, as it seemed that the ads have been getting worse and worse over the last year. (I also have a sneaking suspicion that youtube knows when you're using an ad blocker on your browser and thus increases the amount of ads you see when using their app.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, they like to do that a lot to try and trick people into watching their garbage. I've also seem some networks put entire first episodes of new shows up as ads.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc wasn't the main face/organizer like 18 but everyone else was a 30 year old there to cynically take idiots money?

I don't think she was the main organizer, but from videos on the debacle it's clear she was the only one making an attempt at actually running a convention.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
From what I can tell, when you pay to promote a video in the algorithm, it tends to just toss it into the ad rotation regardless of what (or how long) it actually is.

The one I remember (rather than angrily skipping before seeing what it was) was the first episode of Picard that CBS put on their channel.

It kinda comes and goes at least. Like right now I've seen a bunch (or more likely, probably the same goddamned one) but it was the first time it's happened in months.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Stop showing me ads for the ~Joe Rogan Experience~ youtube please and thank you

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Liberty Biberty.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, I've seen it with PragerU, with some "comedy" channel that was apparently making their entire videos ads for some reason (hoping they'd go viral? inflating view count?), and weirdly enough with some iron-forging show once. They always have the skip option but it's annoying when your phone or whatever is out of arm's reach and you have to get up to get back to the regular video. I finally bit the bullet and got Youtube Premium, as it seemed that the ads have been getting worse and worse over the last year. (I also have a sneaking suspicion that youtube knows when you're using an ad blocker on your browser and thus increases the amount of ads you see when using their app.)

Syenite posted:

Stop showing me ads for the ~Joe Rogan Experience~ youtube please and thank you

i only get poo poo like state farm boring tv ads.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I just use Firefox on my phone and use ublock. Haven't seen a youtube ad in years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I had to stop using my chromecast for Youtube because it apparently bypassed my adblocker somehow and I started getting a bunch of garbage videos as ads.

Honestly in the age of Patreon I feel more than justified in running an adblocker 99% of the time and kicking a bit of money to creators I like directly.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Seeing what youtube is like without an ad blocker makes me wonder how the site is popular at all. poo poo sucks man.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

New Shaun vid just dropped Dropping the Bomb: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

That's everyone's Friday sorted.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr Phillby posted:

Tumblr is just incredible at generating the most insane drama I loving love it where else would you find callout posts about people selling human bones or find people happily handing thousands of dollars over to literal teenagers to organize conventions or create animated TV shows without question?

To be fair, the vast majority of the big conventions you see now started as a bunch of teens (or pretty close to it) 10-20 years ago running conventions in hotel basements. The problem isn't kids wanting to run events, it's kids wanting to run giant conventions year 1 without realizing almost all of those events ran as small events first, and the ones that didn't succeeded in spite of a huge crowd the first year, not because of it. People either don't want to do the legwork of building a crowd or are simply unaware that's how it usually goes.

Cons have been around for decades but the behemoth media-everything-con has now been around long enough so that for younger folks (or folks just newer to the scene), those cons have just always been there and they're unaware of how these things evolved and grew. The additional problem now is younger attendees are now used to only the mega-cons, so any startup con has an uphill battle with people asking "Why didn't land the entire cast of The Avengers to your first year event?!?! I'm not going!".

If Dashcon had been competent, it could have been a nice 300-600 person event at a Best Western with a couple "community" (i.e. not famous anywhere outside of Tumblr) guests who got comped for their travel and a merch table, maybe one industry guest (not a band - those make costs skyrocket) and could have been a stepping stone to a bigger event the year after. Instead they got greedy.

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like YouTube now endlessly flogging their premium and also opening the floodgates to even shittier ads is not an unrelated set of events.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

stillvisions posted:

I feel like YouTube now endlessly flogging their premium and also opening the floodgates to even shittier ads is not an unrelated set of events.

Definitely, turns out the best way to get people to buy your no-ads service is to make sure the ads you have are as obnoxious and intrusive as possible.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Especially with what feels like a shift to all those 5-10 second ads you can't skip followed up by a 30-second ad you have to separately skip. For a little bit I kept getting music videos that some new wannabe artist was peddling.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sydin posted:

Definitely, turns out the best way to get people to buy your no-ads service is to make sure the ads you have are as obnoxious and intrusive as possible.

For a while, creators were saying that YT Red/Premium benefits them a lot more than general ad revenue ever did, and I wonder what the specifics of that are.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Takoluka posted:

For a while, creators were saying that YT Red/Premium benefits them a lot more than general ad revenue ever did, and I wonder what the specifics of that are.

Not sure if this is changed, but the model they liked was it was dividing the money by minutes of videos watched, so it encouraged longer videos and didn't force them to have ads every 10 minutes to make as much cash as a ten minute clickbait video per view.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My conspiracy theory is that YouTube is actively airing multiple obnoxious ads in a row to inspire users to pay for premium. They keep showing me some grifter lifestyle guru's 45 minute ads before whichever 5 minute video I clicked on.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

grittyreboot posted:

My conspiracy theory is that YouTube is actively airing multiple obnoxious ads in a row to inspire users to pay for premium. They keep showing me some grifter lifestyle guru's 45 minute ads before whichever 5 minute video I clicked on.

I mean, on the one hand I would expect exactly that kind of shady business practice from Youtube. But on the other hand I wouldn't trust Youtube to be able to tell which ads are obnoxious and which aren't.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
you guys see ads??? i only accidentally see them when i push the video to my tv while im making dinner or smth

e: no wait this reminded me of seeing a super long ad once on my boyfriends tablet after he fell asleep watching something. i just sort of dumbfoundedly turned it off for him filled with amazement someone would do that. i forgot about this entrirely until now.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 11, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dr Christmas posted:

Liberty Biberty.

Hey, we’re root...

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

I'm not sure if that's actually a "conspiracy theory" if it's just what they're doing now. There absolutely were not this many ads prior to premium being a thing.

I'm honestly curious what the algorithmically calculated "maximum ad tolerance" is for the the average user, because once I started getting multiple back-to-back ads on mobile, I just switched over to newpipe because gently caress that.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I did just randomly get an ad in the middle of a youtube video out of nowhere despite my blocker.
Maybe I shouldnt have left the tab open.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

iirc, adblockers have a tough time with youtube because a lot of the ads are hosted directly on youtube's main servers, so adblockers can't stop them without just stopping all playback entirely.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
FWIW I've never seen a YouTube ad get past uBlock Origin on Firefox.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, uBlock is great, highly recommend.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

I've only ever seen white blank panels where an ad should be with the skip ad button. Though this is just a signal that I need to update filters and then those stop showing up too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr.Radar posted:

Same, and it's only recently that it wasn't enough for twitch, too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've also been using this Chrome extension to block ads on Twitch since they made the switch that circumvents uBlock Origin and so far it seems to work great.

e. Same extension but for Firefox.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

No, I was just using the youtube app on my phone but regardless, 1hr long ad is obscene.

To get around that I use Newpipe to access the youtube app on my phone. Its open source, blocks adds, gets past most region blockers and comes with all the features youtube premium is touting for free. Also can be used for soundcloud and peertube too.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I never gotten ads on twitch and I'm using ublock, how come you guys are getting them?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kamrat posted:

I never gotten ads on twitch and I'm using ublock, how come you guys are getting them?

when's the last time you watched twitch, they've been putting ads on non-partner channels and working overtime to make sure they get through u-block origin

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Last time I watched twitch was today

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Not only have ads on Twitch gotten worse (ads playing whenever you switch to another channel, or in the middle of streams regardless of whether the host is running an ad break or not), but they've seemingly made it harder to get bits from voluntarily watching ads. I think I've only succeeded in getting bits once in the last ten times I've tried

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I usually have multiple adblockers running on whatever browser I'm using atm. Whenever the powers that be figure out how to circumvent one I just go shopping around for whatever the new hotness is and add that to my collection. Think the last one I started using is uBlock and I haven't had any ad problems since. I'm honestly not sure if it makes much of a difference but I feel better knowing I have a bunch of different ways to filter poo poo out instead of just one, especially since there's a non-zero chance it'll just stop working one day once YouTube or whoever figures out how to circumvent it.

On that note, someone out there must be making a loving killing figuring out new and more efficient ways to gently caress over adblockers. I don't even want to think about how much money YouTube must have invested into making sure as many people as absolutely possible watch their lovely ads.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

To get around that I use Newpipe to access the youtube app on my phone. Its open source, blocks adds, gets past most region blockers and comes with all the features youtube premium is touting for free. Also can be used for soundcloud and peertube too.

Huh, neat. I've got some adblocker browser available on my phone too but I just tend to pick youtube because I messed with the settings too much and now I can't get the thing back into mobile instead of being stuck in desktop mode.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1337568733930291200

Good thread by Sawyer criticizing the practice of tying dev bonuses to a game's metacritic score.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I didn't even know that twitter had ads until I used it on my phone and then it was a disaster.

Thankfully just blocking the ads will (in my case) eventually lead to an ad free experience. Maybe I'm just a really bad demographic.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Blocking every single company on Twitter will eventually get you some buckwild promoted tweets, which is amusing. Some random dude paid $15 to promote his 13 like tweet saying "sunday funday!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sankara posted:

Blocking every single company on Twitter will eventually get you some buckwild promoted tweets, which is amusing. Some random dude paid $15 to promote his 13 like tweet saying "sunday funday!!"

Oh yeah, I used one of those blocklists with thousands of corporate accounts years ago when twitter just let you import a huge list. Since then I've only unblocked a couple of them.