Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I was looking for the nodding head and finger emoji code....and is the McNally one actually McNally? :lol:

:hmmyes:
The others
:hmmno:
:hmmwrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man just accepting that poo poo as collateral damage and therefore acceptable is loving gross anyway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

:hmmyes:
The others
:hmmno:
:hmmwrong:

Thanks! It's always a pain trying to figure out the code, which is often drastically different then the image itself.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man just accepting that poo poo as collateral damage and therefore acceptable is loving gross anyway.

Collateral damage is bad and I'm opposed to drone strikes and the death penalty (at least as they're practiced). I just find someone with an Uncle Billy gangtag making the argument that traitors deserve prosecution instead of lethal force kinda funny.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
To answer the question, yes it is McNally.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks! It's always a pain trying to figure out the code, which is often drastically different then the image itself.

If you’re on a browser a search bar is now on the smilie page, and several of us went through and labeled the smilies with descriptions so you can search for words like “frog” or “red” and get all the smilies that have that tag. Not sure if that search is available on phone apps yet.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

If you’re on a browser a search bar is now on the smilie page, and several of us went through and labeled the smilies with descriptions so you can search for words like “frog” or “red” and get all the smilies that have that tag. Not sure if that search is available on phone apps yet.

That is a really cool, honestly I only use Awful App normally, and recently due to a WFH change the browser, so I'never seen that before. That would be an awesome option for the phone, instead of it just being a keyboard which really isn't that useful.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Collateral damage is bad and I'm opposed to drone strikes and the death penalty (at least as they're practiced). I just find someone with an Uncle Billy gangtag making the argument that traitors deserve prosecution instead of lethal force kinda funny.

Oh yea I was saying that wrt what MazelTovCocktail had said, shoulda quoted him sorry.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh okay then that is very different, I thought he or another kid was riding in the car with him. Hence my comments on collateral damage. Yeah I mean I can't understand the military utility or logic in whacking him.

No, you got it mostly right. The kid was riding in a car with a member of AQ leadership who was the target of the strike. He was collateral damage in that strike not in the strike that killed his father.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's almost like killing the people from the sky just gives you more people to kill from the sky.

I would rather risk troops to do hits rather than producing the next seven generations of 'terrorists' against us.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Drone warfare is the biggest boon to the MIC since Vietnam.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What the gently caress does MIC mean? Military intelligence corps?

Blowing people out of their lovely sedans after saying "gently caress america all day" isn't intelligence, it's murder that begets more murder.

Basically I'm not saying anything new here but I think we're the baddies.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Wasabi the J posted:

Blowing people out of their lovely sedans after saying "gently caress america all day" isn't intelligence, it's murder that begets more murder.

Military industrial complex

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Wasabi the J posted:

Military-industrial Complex, the incestuous self-licking ice cream Cone of things like Lockheed and the USAF, etc. Unless you knew that and are joking in which case :pseudo:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

we have to accept that a certain number of nearby people will die when we assassinate the leaders of organizations we funded and armed to commit acts of terrorism in order to assist our economic hegemony, there's simply nothing we can do about it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower%27s_farewell_address

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

we have to accept that a certain number of nearby people will die when we assassinate the leaders of organizations we funded and armed to commit acts of terrorism in order to assist our economic hegemony, there's simply nothing we can do about it

We never funded Bin Laden, or Al Qaeda, nor did wr ever give them financial support. This trope / myth needs to die.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-jvHynP9Y

For folks, it really is worth watching the whole speech but if you want the quick portion, spend 3mins watching this

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Generally, people have a bigger deal with the CIA drone-striking his minor son.

Yeah, I have a problem with that, too. If I remember correctly, that was a second / separate strike.

PeterCat posted:

He was 16 years old you rear end in a top hat.

The father, Anwar al Awlaki, was not 16. You yourself posted the kid's name, dude. Either you were being disingenuous in this post, or you simply forgot the dad's name, or maybe you just skimmed my post.

Raerlynn posted:

Let's make this simple. Every family has a gently caress up. Are you seriously endorsing that everyone who happens to have the bad luck of standing near said gently caress up should consider their lives forfeit, regardless of whether or not they knew of or supported said gently caress up?
Not every family has a violent, actively traitorous "fuckup" who has blood on their hands, though.

And of course their lives aren't forfeit. I'm not endorsing it, and it's horrible when innocents die. That's a huge part of the reason why I have issues with the drone strike program, especially signature strikes. But sometimes you only get one window to take out a bad guy, and I understand the calculus of taking that shot when they have it on a high value target.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 11, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah, I have a problem with that, too. If I remember correctly, that was a second / separate strike.

The father, Anwar al Awlaki, was not 16. You yourself posted the kid's name, dude. Either you were being disingenuous in this post, or you simply forgot the dad's name, or maybe you just skimmed my post.

"disingenuous" is how I would describe your original post.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe
I was talking about the terrorist, not the kid, in my post.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

We never funded Bin Laden, or Al Qaeda, nor did wr ever give them financial support. This trope / myth needs to die.

We gave the ISI fat stacks of cash, but we were not allowed to control disbursement of said cash, or knew where it went once it passed into Pakistani hands. It is possible that the cash infusion from the US to the ISI to fight the proxy war vs the Soviets gave Bin Laden some scratch, indirectly.

He did not receive CIA training or whatever else the loons on the internet claim, but it is entirely possible that a couple pallets of greenbacks came his way. Plausible deniability, as it were, because the CIA was so terrified of being blamed for another gently caress up that they intentionally weren't paying attention to what the Pakistanis were doing with the cash, and the Soviets were getting their asses beat so back slaps and congratulations all around.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

orange juche posted:

We gave the ISI fat stacks of cash, but we were not allowed to control disbursement of said cash, or knew where it went once it passed into Pakistani hands. It is possible that the cash infusion from the US to the ISI to fight the proxy war vs the Soviets gave Bin Laden some scratch, indirectly.

Bin Laden was more a less self-funded. ISI gave money that we gave them to a lot of lovely people, but Bin Laden and his group weren't amongst them.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, all those Saudis and Afghanis pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps, America has nothing to do with their material position in the world.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the morality of a weapon is dependent upon the war that its being used in. there is nothing wrong with drones, just our wars

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Military-industrial Complex, the incestuous self-licking ice cream Cone of things like Lockheed and the USAF, etc. Unless you knew that and are joking in which case :pseudo:

It should honestly be the MIIC now, with one I for Information.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He also wasn't just slaughtering POWs or Confederate who didn't resist, so its kind of a weird comparison.

He also didn't specifically kill Civilians. Burn down their cities? Sure.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

He also wasn't just slaughtering POWs or Confederate who didn't resist, so its kind of a weird comparison.

He also didn't specifically kill Civilians. Burn down their cities? Sure.

Actually that part gets exaggerated by Neo-Confederates and Lost Cause people. Atlanta was mostly the fault of the Confederates themselves.

I mean we do it ourselves...but we're making a joke, not a historical argument.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Actually that part gets exaggerated by Neo-Confederates and Lost Cause people. Atlanta was mostly the fault of the Confederates themselves.

I mean we do it ourselves...but we're making a joke, not a historical argument.

Yes, I'm aware. But some parts were burned by Sherman. The Confederates did a great job spreading the fire.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

He did enact a scorched earth policy on the surrounds though, including ripping up the railways to make neckties.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It should honestly be the MIIC now, with one I for Information.

I’ve seen some instances of “military-industrial-intelligence-entertainment complex” which is maybe reaching a little.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He did enact a scorched earth policy on the surrounds though, including ripping up the railways to make neckties.

Well I think you can argue that's legit military targets...especially by 1860s standards.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Bin Laden was more a less self-funded. ISI gave money that we gave them to a lot of lovely people, but Bin Laden and his group weren't amongst them.

The accounting balance sheet is really irrelevant. the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan made Bin Laden's reputation in the right-wing Islamist community, and the US (and other countries who hated USSR at the time) helped create the stage for that to happen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well I think you can argue that's legit military targets...especially by 1860s standards.

oh i didn't mean it as a negative

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

oh i didn't mean it as a negative

Ah cool my bad.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, all those Saudis and Afghanis pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps, America has nothing to do with their material position in the world.

what even is this post

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's almost like killing the people from the sky just gives you more people to kill from the sky.

I would rather risk troops to do hits rather than producing the next seven generations of 'terrorists' against us.

I'm not calling you out on this, but through personal experience, the myriad articles and investigations (most recently Aussie SAS), and myriad anecdotes I've read in GiP (Shim's puppy stealing tale for one), I'm not convinced "surgical raids on HVI's" are any different and could be far worse in terms of traumatizing whole villages. Every raid I went on "jokes" were made about establishing job security, because if we kill everyone what needs a-killin' who on Earth are we going to kill? JPEL was an aberrant failure both in theory and practice.

Lastly, those good old American troops getting wounded and killed in the conduct of our raids have led to a lot of units on those tiers going full on berserker for the remainder of there deployments and transmitting that attitude to whomever they RIPed out with. Additionally their sacrifice ostensibly in the name of our nation and constitution provides ample and factually true anecdotes to serve the chicken hawks among us in their propagandistic efforts. Entropy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

she'll get right on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anything that requires Pelosi to raise her voice is :hmmno: and a violation of :decorum:.

She's like the black lady from the Police Academy movies without the angry shouting voice.