Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

so a normal night out for Hing, I assume

It was a wild stream even by Hing standards. There were some off-camera talks between the cast during the mid-stream break.

I don't know why Dave thought having Hing play NPCs was a good idea!!

(I highly suggest everyone watch the Beef Babe streams. They are incredible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8sd0TfHS8

Speaking of Hing

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

This is very funny.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Zerot posted:

This is very funny.

It is 40 minutes well spent because Hing is incompetent and took forever to realise that he was being hosed with

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Testekill posted:

It is 40 minutes well spent because Hing is incompetent and took forever to realise that he was being hosed with

I think it's a purposeful bit on Hing's part, but his general obliviousness makes that not a guarantee!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mark bonanno calling him and explaining that it's actually impossible to look at chat lmao

Zerot posted:

I think it's a purposeful bit on Hing's part, but his general obliviousness makes that not a guarantee!

i agree with tom in the chat, hing is not a good enough actor to have been in on this

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 22, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Zerot posted:

It is 1000% not a bit, that's just Hing being Hing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I happened to glance at twitch for the last 10 minutes or so of that and i was just as confused as he was; watching it from the beginning, this is incredibly funny, yes

I think he quickly becomes aware that a bit is happening, and tries to join in on it to some extent, but like a small dog trying to hold a grapefruit he can't quite get all the way around it and keeps slipping back into being the butt of the joke

also lol that his reaction to naomi trying to call him 20x in a row is "i'll message mark [her boyfriend] and see if something's wrong"

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The season final was very good. And I’m glad that the dragon friends are two-for-two on climactic Strahd battles flinging them through time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tom's got a new gig, let's take a look at it---

oh

crunk
Feb 1, 2019
just binged through all of the podcast, now going through the twitch streams. subscribed to the patreon too, cos god knows they're putting in the work to keep me entertained while stuck at my desk.

i've been loving bobby turning all grimdark, it actually made some of the scenes in season six so much funnier. its a tough role, being the straight man of the group, but i've found simon to be really quite funny and charming (any scene were bobby is v. patience and sweet to philge makes me smiles for miles).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

crunk posted:

just binged through all of the podcast, now going through the twitch streams. subscribed to the patreon too, cos god knows they're putting in the work to keep me entertained while stuck at my desk.

i've been loving bobby turning all grimdark, it actually made some of the scenes in season six so much funnier. its a tough role, being the straight man of the group, but i've found simon to be really quite funny and charming (any scene were bobby is v. patience and sweet to philge makes me smiles for miles).

I think there were a couple moments where he pushed the grimdark thing a little too far I'm specifically thinking of the one where he slits some unarmed woman's throat to stop her from being a witness or something, i forget the exact cirucmstances and it kind of clashed with the general vibe of the episode, but he reined it back in pretty quickly. I wonder if maybe they had a chat backstage after, some of the audience seemed a little put off too.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Undercourt....suck me off

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So now that I'm caught up on the main podcast, where can I go for the side streams and see them in their entirety? And in what order should I be listening to them?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hughlander posted:

So now that I'm caught up on the main podcast, where can I go for the side streams and see them in their entirety? And in what order should I be listening to them?

The best place to find draggo content is their website which they recently(?) revamped to make it easier to navigate and find their content.

There's two streaming series of note--first is Tomb of Annihilation, which is a side campaign featuring the Dragon Friends running the Tomb of Annihiliation module.

The other is the Beef Babes, which is a parallel campaign to the main adventure, which chronicles what happens to Freezo after Season 4, and featuring new characters from the rest of the group. Currently in its second season.

I imagine ToA would be the one to start with since they made it first (and there's fewer eps to catch up on than the beef babes) but it's not too important, watch whatever strikes your fancy!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The other is the Beef Babes, which is a parallel campaign to the main adventure, which chronicles what happens to Freezo after Season 4, and featuring new characters from the rest of the group. Currently in its second season.

I imagine ToA would be the one to start with since they made it first (and there's fewer eps to catch up on than the beef babes) but it's not too important, watch whatever strikes your fancy!

BB is actually done with it's second season, and they'll be starting up an entirely different campaign next year. (They're slowly reuploading the videos to youtube, but the streams in their entirety are on their twitch channel archive, which probably amount to like 60 podcast-episode lengths ish.
Has 1 solid arc that they finished up last week.

The 2 seasons of ToA are absolutely a good place to pop by, they're noncanon, but are supposed to happen roughly in the middle of S3.
There's also a handful of other bonus stuff which as Ainsley points out, should all be findable on their site.
(A bunch of one-offs, and special streams for comedy festivals, that sort of stuff.)

Order really doesn't matter, as long as you've finished s4 there's no spoilers or anything.
I guess If I were to do them now... maybe a couple of the oneoffs, then a season of ToA, then a couple more oneoffs, second season of ToA. And then BB.

Honestly, with their twitch stuff spinning into gear they're making enough content that they could update the podcast weekly, year round. Even more so if they ever hit their patreon goal and double up the main seasons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still kind of amazed that they keep getting sponsored to do WotC stuff after ToA. It got so blue, so fast, I can't imagine that's the kind of vibe wizards is aiming for with D&D. #sorrygreg

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they do and I hope they get many more sponsored adventures to come, I'm just a bit surprised is all. But then again I don't listen to too many other D&D podcasts, maybe they all turn into frogs sucking each other off on a long enough timeline

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I mean, unless they do something politically disastrous, I imagine streamers etc get a pretty wide margin of leniency, because it's so separated from the material they actually present.
Anything coarse is just blamed on the people presenting it, as opposed to the material itself. And they get some additional leniency due to australians being expected to be a bit more coarse than americans.

I also suspect they have a big bonus in being one of few english-speaking groups that can do streams and etc in their respective timezones, letting DnD populate their twitch around the clock, even when US or EU streamers might not be able to.

Additionally, due to the whole satanism hysteria in the US ages ago, I feel like DnD as a brand can afford to have some coarseness, since anyone morally offended by it (overlap with anyone who would avoid a product due to a coarse presentation online.) would already be avoiding it.
(While the real fact is that they should be avoided because they're a lovely company that shelters and enables terrible fuckin' people.)

I guess that is one thing I kinda wish for: That they'd dip their toes more into other systems. But I can understand the unwillingness to do so when they've got WotC sponsor money at their back. (And a worry that the players would take ages to learn those systems as well.)

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Greg Tito keeps advertising Dragon Friends so I'm pretty sure WotC just wants them to keep those frogs sucking.

https://twitter.com/Gregtito/status/1336453285880811521

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SubNat posted:

I mean, unless they do something politically disastrous, I imagine streamers etc get a pretty wide margin of leniency, because it's so separated from the material they actually present.
Anything coarse is just blamed on the people presenting it, as opposed to the material itself. And they get some additional leniency due to australians being expected to be a bit more coarse than americans.

I also suspect they have a big bonus in being one of few english-speaking groups that can do streams and etc in their respective timezones, letting DnD populate their twitch around the clock, even when US or EU streamers might not be able to.

Additionally, due to the whole satanism hysteria in the US ages ago, I feel like DnD as a brand can afford to have some coarseness, since anyone morally offended by it (overlap with anyone who would avoid a product due to a coarse presentation online.) would already be avoiding it.
(While the real fact is that they should be avoided because they're a lovely company that shelters and enables terrible fuckin' people.)

I guess that is one thing I kinda wish for: That they'd dip their toes more into other systems. But I can understand the unwillingness to do so when they've got WotC sponsor money at their back. (And a worry that the players would take ages to learn those systems as well.)

Arguably they still do not know how to play d&d (I still can’t get over Simon asking what a sneak attack is in season 6, and he’s probably the best of them) so training them on a new system could be a challenge.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Dragon Friends moving to another system would lose the very important trope of "Hing tries to rules lawyer something without having any idea of what he's talking about an invariably getting owned as a result"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I can't imagine how frustrated Dave would be with everybody besides maybe Ben if they switched systems, because they have staunchly refused to learn what they are doing since the beginning. Dave made the mistake of trying to give Philge Shadowrun stuff to do in Neo Tokyo, and I don't think he'll be making it again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I can't imagine how frustrated Dave would be with everybody besides maybe Ben if they switched systems, because they have staunchly refused to learn what they are doing since the beginning. Dave made the mistake of trying to give Philge Shadowrun stuff to do in Neo Tokyo, and I don't think he'll be making it again.

Now I'm remembering the part in Season 4 where he made up mechanics for a space battle, and the players failed to figure them out so hard that he just ragequit and let them skip it

in their defense though, a stage in front of a live audience is an extremely high-pressure place to learn the rules of a new game for the first time (and if it was an even-numbered episode, they were likely plastered)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SpacePig posted:

On the flip side, I bet Dave's toyed with the idea of completely switching systems on them and seeing how long it takes for anyone to notice

It could very well take several seasons

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's an incredibly fun episode just over halfway through season two of Beef Babes where they finally learn about attacks of opportunity.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I'm remembering the part in Season 4 where he made up mechanics for a space battle, and the players failed to figure them out so hard that he just ragequit and let them skip it

in their defense though, a stage in front of a live audience is an extremely high-pressure place to learn the rules of a new game for the first time (and if it was an even-numbered episode, they were likely plastered)

And remember, the one that was given the space battle stuff was Simon, who typically is the one who pays attention to the rules and is the closest to knowing how to play. If they ever switch, they'll have to do it in private before doing it in a show, or on stream where stakes are lower.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

SpacePig posted:

And remember, the one that was given the space battle stuff was Simon, who typically is the one who pays attention to the rules and is the closest to knowing how to play. If they ever switch, they'll have to do it in private before doing it in a show, or on stream where stakes are lower.

They have played both Edge Of The Empire and Monster Of The Week.

But they play the same as the D&D episodes because they don’t use the rules much anyway, so no sense losing the big brand I suppose.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

They managed to livesteam the Freezmas christmas special, by the way.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/840332790

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SubNat posted:

They managed to livesteam the Freezmas christmas special, by the way.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/840332790

lmao i did not realize this was a written musical

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Simon: "I feel like Lin Manuel Miranda!"
Alex: "You shouldn't."
:lmao:

That was excellent. Happy Yulemas, everyone!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
holy poo poo I just now watched it and it was good.

"No, Hing, what are Simon's children's names?"

"...I don't think it's appropriate to doxx children"

e: also I forgot to mention, Dungeon Dave has like a genuinely good singing voice, that was a pleasant surprise.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 20, 2020

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just finished the Yulemas special, and holy poo poo that was a banger. I was surprised by their chops at musical improv all around, but Dave stole the show with his song to open the intermission

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dave clearly has at least consumed a lot of musical theater because "I've been found a key and that key is 'g'' is some classic musical cutesy line bullshit that he delivered very well.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Dave clearly has at least consumed a lot of musical theater because "I've been found a key and that key is 'g'' is some classic musical cutesy line bullshit that he delivered very well.

Dave streams on twitch three nights a week now and at the end of every stream does Musical Chat where he shows off and commentates musical clips. He spent hours painstakingly creating starlight express fancams stitching together bootleg footage with soundtrack audio so that he could properly share his love of the godforsaken train musical.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

Dave streams on twitch three nights a week now and at the end of every stream does Musical Chat where he shows off and commentates musical clips. He spent hours painstakingly creating starlight express fancams stitching together bootleg footage with soundtrack audio so that he could properly share his love of the godforsaken train musical.

oh my god i've seen dave stream with tom/demi but i have to look this up lmao

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

It's funny because at the outset, he said he didn't think starlight was a good musical, he was just strangely obsessed with it, but he's spent so much time on it that he's now come around to genuinely enjoying it. You love to see it.

eke out posted:

oh my god i've seen dave stream with tom/demi but i have to look this up lmao

His channel is https://twitch.tv/itmedave, he keeps vods if you ever want to check out the backlog.

It's a chill stream, and it's a strict "no bullying" zone, so it's nice to see him be able to do his thing without anyone trying to derail him. Not that I don't enjoy the bullying, but I like that he gets to have a safe space too

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a chill stream, and it's a strict "no bullying" zone, so it's nice to see him be able to do his thing without anyone trying to derail him. Not that I don't enjoy the bullying, but I like that he gets to have a safe space too

that's good, bullying dave should be left to the professionals

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I was against Dave bullying until I saw how he behaves on every single non-DF stream and now I am bullying agnostic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Dave needs bullies, but those bullies need to be his friends and not internet randos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I just started the Christmas episode and holy gently caress this rocks lmao