Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Schadenboner posted:

And there are non-COVID cases who will die but might have lived if ICU beds were available if we had flattened the curve by wearing the loving mask.

And there are people who have died, who didn't need the ICU, but avoided the hospital due to COVID concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamn vendor systems pissing me off.

We've got some Linux boxes in a new lab, they control important parts of the process. We want them to mount some NFS shares. Cool. I mention this to my team's expert on how we do Linux and learn where to route a Jira ticket to get them exported for these hosts. I also put in a ticket with Perimeter Protection so the Lab network can talk to the BFS shares. One thing I don't know yet is that they've configured each box as their own DNS server, with 8.8.8.8 as the upstream. They know nothing about our internal resources.

I get a little pushback about the NFS shares because I'm asking for IP addresses, not hostnames. Nobody had put in DNS requests so I work out a naming scheme
with the lab manager and open a ticket for that. The storage people are okay if confused with IP addresses, so that's done.

After Thanksgiving I am reminded that we haven't heard from the firewall people. It's been two weeks (and they're in Europe so no holiday excuse) so I put a request for an update on the ticket. A couple of days later a note appears on the ticket that sounds an alarming amount like the firewall tech has opened NFS outbound to the entire Internet. I try mounting an NFS share and put in a comment, with IPs in the subnets I specified in the request, that it still isn't working.

A week passes.

We've got someone from networking local and involved with the setup for this lab, so I shoot him an email to ask him to rattle cages on his side. I also cc the lab manager and the lab IT architect because we're in CYA territory. The next morning I find a SNOW survey in my in box, for the firewall request, which is now marked "Closed Completed". Yup. Closed-complete, no further action or communication. I kick that over to our friendly, neighborhood networking guy. I slap one star on the survey and send it off.

A few hours later one of the on-campus perimeter team, JR, reaches out. He's actually responsible and I get a screenshot of firewall rules allowing the traffic I need. He goes off to handle the "teachable moment" that is opening NFS outbound to the world in response to a request specifying specific source and destination subnets.

NFS share mounts still time out. I bang on that for a day and a half, with moral support from my team's Linux guy. My local perimeter guy follows up (!) and we do some live work with me trying to mount NFS shares and him looking at Splunk as it happens. He catches my mistake. Remember that these machines have a hosed up DNS setup ? I'm forced to mount a storage cluster as a single IP, not hostname. And there's a typo in the address in my fstab.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Fix that and the share mounts right up. JR is seeing some timeouts and goes off to look into those, I report back to the lab team that the first machine has mounted NFS shares. I need to buy JR a bottle of something very nice. At the very least I have a reminder on for the morning to give him a nod in our employee recognition system.

Goddamn vendor systems. You never make any box its own primary responder. poo poo breaks bad and weird if anything goes wrong. There's no way I'd have missed the typo in an 8-character hostname for as long as I did with an IP address (xx.xxx.xZx.xx). I've got a support ticket in with them to make one of our DNS servers the upstream resolver for those machines.

And that's the story of how I learned to mount NFS shares in Linux.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We were a bit late to the mask party, a while ago, we started just wearing them in high risk pinch point areas, but that lasted about a week until it was just mandatory PPE to wear a mask all the time across site - i.e. you can't bring in your own, you must wear our special masks, which has been fine.

Another manager was telling me a dude claimed he had asthma to try and get out of it but the company are apparently saying tough get a doctors note so that didn't work. He then claimed anxiety and was asked to give wearing a mask a go, which was ok in the end and now he is claiming that because we are providing 2 varieties of masks one causes him an allergic reaction but his manager told me he has never come in and actually shown him the supposed skin reaction the mask is causing so he thinks this is just more fluff to get out of wearing a mask.

It sounds like someone needs to sit him down and say "look, no one likes wearing a mask, get on with it" but his manager seems a bit reluctant to take on the allergy fight as it's then a medical issue.. apparently it's been referred so I'm sure it will be sorted properly.

but Christ, how hard is it man

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I spent a while trying to push for us to get on a unified communications platform. 1/3 of us used personal Skype, 1/3 used Slack, and 1/3 used MS Teams through out O365. During our company yearly dinner our CEO asked if we had any feed back on the year and I yelled at him that we need to get on one platform. A couple days later he sent a company email saying to use MS Teams. All was good. Now though I have so many group chats I want to hang myself.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am not sure why but " i hear windows is bad" is cracking me up this morning.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain why Speedtest.net doesn't match up with 'numbers the ISP gave us'

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Bob Morales posted:

If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain why Speedtest.net doesn't match up with 'numbers the ISP gave us'

"ISP always lies. "

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Honestly, I don't trust speedtest.net or any speed test where the company owning the site is an ISP

https://fast.com/ been my go-to, Netflix has a stake in not obfuscating the results when people who use your main service use your testing service.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Honestly, I don't trust speedtest.net or any speed test where the company owning the site is an ISP

https://fast.com/ been my go-to, Netflix has a stake in not obfuscating the results when people who use your main service use your testing service.

While I understand and agree in general with this stance, in my case it's not quite true: I have gigabit fiber, and downloads usually get in the 90MB/s range (mostly from usenet but even from other sources). Speedtest reports 900+ Mb/s easily. Fast.com never goes past 200 Mbps. I don't know what's the issue here, but overall my internet works pretty much as expected.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

While I understand and agree in general with this stance, in my case it's not quite true: I have gigabit fiber, and downloads usually get in the 90MB/s range (mostly from usenet but even from other sources). Speedtest reports 900+ Mb/s easily. Fast.com never goes past 200 Mbps. I don't know what's the issue here, but overall my internet works pretty much as expected.

A lot of ISPs speed up connections to speedtest.net to make your speeds look faster than it is. Most ISPs will not speed up your connection to Netflix to make it look faster than it is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's been two loving days and the only reply I've received for my SEV 1 ticket is, "what is your availability?" to which I responded, "24/7. This is the most critical application in our entire org."
I guess they're just leaning more towards the 7 rather than the 24.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, if someone raises a sev 1 at my work and calls up the major incident management team as per procedure, if SRT meetings aren't called within 30 minutes, heads are gonna roll.

This is for internal applications, of course.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 11, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's been two loving days and the only reply I've received for my SEV 1 ticket is, "what is your availability?" to which I responded, "24/7. This is the most critical application in our entire org."
I guess they're just leaning more towards the 7 rather than the 24.

24 days a month, 7 months a year.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanatosian posted:

A lot of ISPs speed up connections to speedtest.net to make your speeds look faster than it is. Most ISPs will not speed up your connection to Netflix to make it look faster than it is.

I have read that speed test.net has deals with isps to prioritize your traffic or also make the test appear slower for advertising competitors as a faster alternative, but I believe that is nonsense.

However, I believe that fast.com uses netflix's cdns and there's no way for an ISP to throttle netflix and not throttle fast.com tests so it a much better and honest response to how bad your ISP is*

*Hint they are all bad

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have read that speed test.net has deals with isps to prioritize your traffic or also make the test appear slower for advertising competitors as a faster alternative, but I believe that is nonsense.

However, I believe that fast.com uses netflix's cdns and there's no way for an ISP to throttle netflix and not throttle fast.com tests so it a much better and honest response to how bad your ISP is*

*Hint they are all bad

Speedtest.net usually has ISPs that host the server themselves so it never leaves their network. You want to use fast.com for real world measurements on application performance, and you want to use your ISP's speedtest server just to check there's no congestion on the street right outside.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

my personal fave is testmy.net, but yeah 100% agree. (due to features such as tracking history, automatically mailing results if you sign up, and being able to track your performance over itme or scheduling tests. the big one is making its traffic seem like normal one, so its caught in your isp's usual traffic shaping(throttling))

Google's speed test tends to be conservative and its nice to double-check

But yeah there's a definite class of speed tests that are given traffic prioritiy , those show the maximum theoretical speed, and others that try to show everyday use cases.

I tend not to trust fast.com because there's a longstanding agreement between my isp(comcast) and netflix wherein netflix pays for fast network speeds over their network.
That is, its a good test of how fast comcast could be all the time with net neutrality, and when speeds are lower, its a sign its intentional.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
one of our departments homebrewed an internal ticketing system
using an access database

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope you left a cartoon style dust cloud as you wound up to run away from any hints of having to support it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I understand that, but that's not the "internet" connection, is the Netflix connection. If the internet as a whole (my downloads) works as expected at the expected speeds ... we're golden.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The only way to properly test your internet speed is to download the entire internet.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A ticket came in (to myself)

Internet started acting up around 4Pm or so. I was thinking the oncoming storm was interfering with T-mobiles LTE network.
I am in a spot where there is cable internet like 1/4th mile either direction, but they won't finish running it, to service 2 houses. Been stuck on ATT DSL 1.5 Mega bit for over a decade.

Anyway, turns out the internet has been fine all evening. Went into Firefox settings and changed the setting to "No Proxy", and everything works now!
A setting I have, literally, never touched before, and is suddenly causing problems. Why and how? I don't bloody know.

I can't believe I am currently nostalgic for IRQ conflicts.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 12, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

klosterdev posted:

using an access database

A former employer rolled their own ticketing system. Priority of a ticket could be set from 1 to 5. The tech support manager felt it would be obvious what the highest priority would be. He was wrong.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't really miss the era of boot diskettes, CONFIG.SYS, MSCDEX/EMM386.EXE and SET BLASTER=220, but goddamn 11 year old me proud when I got enough memory squirreled away so we could play Fleet Defender and fly our F-14 Tomcats around.

quote:

:nice:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

A former employer rolled their own ticketing system. Priority of a ticket could be set from 1 to 5. The tech support manager felt it would be obvious what the highest priority would be. He was wrong.

It's 3

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:nice:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This is the Comcast WiFi provided as part of the room I rent in Memphis, TN.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

klosterdev posted:

using an access database

I got in to a huge fight with a fellow engineer at my last job above this. He created his own FileMaker database of tickets and was using that on his own. It was stupid since we had a ticket database but he wanted to use his own. He kept trying to get the company to use it, but I was the solutions architect and I wouldn't let the company adopt it. We fought about it for weeks.

1 he had a pirated copy of FileMaker
2 he was running it off his own laptop
3 we had no internal server to run it on
4 it was not capable of dr and he had no backup

Sure. We will give up our cloud based MS dynamics crm that ties into salesforce and our invoice system that we use to bill for your locally hosted FileMaker.

But it's so much simpler!

Uh just take the hour like I asked and tell me what ticket fields you want and I'll update the crm pages and it's done. Why did you spend 40 hours not working customer support to write this? Idiot.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Why did you spend 40 hours not working customer support to write this?

I think the answer is in the question here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

A ticket came in (to myself)

Internet started acting up around 4Pm or so. I was thinking the oncoming storm was interfering with T-mobiles LTE network.
I am in a spot where there is cable internet like 1/4th mile either direction, but they won't finish running it, to service 2 houses. Been stuck on ATT DSL 1.5 Mega bit for over a decade.

Anyway, turns out the internet has been fine all evening. Went into Firefox settings and changed the setting to "No Proxy", and everything works now!
A setting I have, literally, never touched before, and is suddenly causing problems. Why and how? I don't bloody know.

It's not *likely*, but a lot of malware will turn on proxy server settings in internet browsers. Might want to at least run a scan.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I think the answer is in the question here.

This wasn't my first or last run in with this guy. I took a message from a customer for him once on his day off and sent him an email to remind him to call them the next day when he was back. He filed a complaint with me for bossing him around.

For a message to call someone back.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TBF if all you sent was "hey call X back" with no other supporting information I'd probably also be pissed off. Not enough to complain about it because I'm a conflict-adverse baby, but that absolutely could've been an email from the original caller or you getting some sort of actual useful information.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I've managed to get rid of almost all the Win7 machines at work. But one that's been giving me trouble is a computer that's attached to a infrared camera that has a firewire connection.
I've tried various firewire PCIe and PCI cards in Windows 10 machines and I can't get the damned thing to work in Win10.
In a moment of desperation I even got a firewire to usb converter. Which are hilarious scams. These are just a USB connector on one end. A firewire connector on the other. And hot glue in between. Nothing else.

Meanwhile I've also been trying to get a response from Flir's techsupport for months. I've finally gotten a mail back that just said "Keeping using Windows 7".:negative: At least the guy wrote he was sorry he didn't have a better answer for me.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 15, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kyrosiris posted:

TBF if all you sent was "hey call X back" with no other supporting information I'd probably also be pissed off. Not enough to complain about it because I'm a conflict-adverse baby, but that absolutely could've been an email from the original caller or you getting some sort of actual useful information.

Just to be clear on the situation, a client called asking for him. I offered to help and they said "no we can wait until he is back tomorrow so tell him to call us then" so I sent him an email with that exact information.

Also for more clarity (check my post history for more juice) they had just fired our manager and had asked me to step up and be team leader until they sorted out the details and gave me the manager's position.

Turns out they had also told that guy the same thing, that they wanted him to step up and become manager, (with out telling each of us or the five guys we managed) and were going to wait and see who stepped up and did a better job and were actually going to promote whoever won this weird competition.

I gave my notice as soon as soon as I learned that nugget of info. Which I found out during an HR conflict resolution session stemming from the email incident.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Manager sends me an IM first thing this morning:

"Hey, I'm running a PowerShell command on the Exchange server..."

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's going to end well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

That's going to end well.

He won't show me the script but keeps asking how to fix it.

"Help me fix it"

Isolate the line that fails, see what the actual error is and try to narrow it down from there. Or wrap it in a try-catch block and just keep going if it gets an error.

Wait...whatever you did, Exchange server did not like.

He's looping through every email in every mailbox to check for a subject line and then trying to delete the message. It keeps bombing out on the mailbox of a Chinese student.

We've been having intermittent exchange 'pauses' this morning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like someone regrets sending those dick pics.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Sounds like someone regrets sending those dick pics.

Actually it was a list of everyone at the facility who's tested positive during the current testing period.

Every day we get an email "COVID summary for 12/14/2020", listing each department and how many people/patients:

2 staff members in xx department
1 staff member in xx department
2 patients in xx department

testing will be on the following days:

blah blah blah

employee health will reach out to anyone who may have had potential exposuer

Well, at the bottom of this particular email was the chain of emails with everyone's names that tested positive during that period. Oops.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You work for an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

Actually it was a list of everyone at the facility who's tested positive during the current testing period.

Every day we get an email "COVID summary for 12/14/2020", listing each department and how many people/patients:

2 staff members in xx department
1 staff member in xx department
2 patients in xx department

testing will be on the following days:

blah blah blah

employee health will reach out to anyone who may have had potential exposuer

Well, at the bottom of this particular email was the chain of emails with everyone's names that tested positive during that period. Oops.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't think of any harder proof that you should wear the loving mask, Bob.