Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I haven't fought all the bosses yet, but Nameless king was one where I had the most trouble to figure out his timing on the rolls, I think he has many different types of attacks with a lot of different timings making it harder than the others. Also I never really managed to find out how not being hit by his lightning attack when he's on the dragon. I always got hit by this one. Of course phase2 gets even harder..

Regarding covenants, is there any good newb covenant or shouldn't I really care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Le0 posted:

Regarding covenants, is there any good newb covenant or shouldn't I really care?

Really depends entirely on what you want to do and/or if there are any kind of rewards you want for your build. If you just want a default covenant to have on all the time, Way of Blue is good because you'll get some help if you get invaded (and Blue Sentinels/Darkmoons will thank you).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Le0 posted:

I haven't fought all the bosses yet, but Nameless king was one where I had the most trouble to figure out his timing on the rolls, I think he has many different types of attacks with a lot of different timings making it harder than the others. Also I never really managed to find out how not being hit by his lightning attack when he's on the dragon. I always got hit by this one. Of course phase2 gets even harder..

Nameless King is designed to punish rollspamming, fight the urge to abuse that dodge button. When you beat on him enough he'll stagger and you can get a free critical, so pack a hornet ring and your favorite dagger. Also bring some carthus rouge, he's super weak to bleed effects. If you're running a FTH build you can cheese him by keeping your distance and spamming Dorhy's Gnawing.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 10, 2020

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

The easiest way to beat nameless king is to keep your distance from him, to bait him into his attacks where he jumps or lunges at you. These are easy to dodge and leave a huge opening for you to get a hit or two in. Requires a bit of patience but it's easier than trying to learn his close range combos, which have a lot of weird timing and variants that make it hard to tell when it's safe to attack him.

It's also a good idea to stack lightning absorption, and take a shield that can block lightning. The spirit tree crest shield is a good choice. I usually play without one but for this fight I always take it. I've never been good at dodging some of his lightning attacks in his last phase, but it's not necessary when you can simply block them. You can even block his lightning bolt attack that comes down from the sky. It'll almost certainly guard break you, but he doesn't have any followups to punish that.

As for his first phase you just need to learn how to control the camera properly. Better not to lock on, at least when he's flying around. His attacks have really obvious patterns and timings, so there isn't really much to it. The one where the throws a lightning bolt tends to damage you a little even if you dodge it, but that's fine because it always leaves a big opening for you to attack. Just don't get hit directly by it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hosed up and Siegward got killed during the Yhorm fight :negative: Turns out you really shouldn't stop to fish around your too-crowded inventory to find Storm Ruler if you want him not to die in the most depressing way possible!

My motivation to keep playing today is pretty much shot now :smith:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 10, 2020

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Gully Foyle posted:

That Irithyll outrider is honestly more difficult than many bosses for some builds, especially the first time you face him.

I never beat one of those guys. I think there are 3 in the game? The fist one went down the elevator shaft, the second one I lured out to the balcony with the dragon so the dragon could kill it and I just plain old "noped" out of the last one.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Harrow posted:

I hosed up and Siegward got killed during the Yhorm fight :negative: Turns out you really shouldn't stop to fish around your too-crowded inventory to find Storm Ruler if you want him not to die in the most depressing way possible!

My motivation to keep playing today is pretty much shot now :smith:

Legitimately heartbreaking, my goondolences

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

trying out the farron greatsword moveset for the first time and i start mashing the l1 button :vince:

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Yates posted:

I never beat one of those guys. I think there are 3 in the game? The fist one went down the elevator shaft, the second one I lured out to the balcony with the dragon so the dragon could kill it and I just plain old "noped" out of the last one.

There are only 3, and the other two are in optional side rooms. Although lore-wise vordt and dancer are outrider knights, and so were the irthyll beasts (e.g. the one you fight on the bridge).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Explored Lothric Castle today, and fought Oceiros and Champion Gundyr.

I summoned Hawkwood to fight Ocerios, as I thought it was a requirement for his questline. Oceiros doesn't seem like a super-hard fight on its own, so having a summon along might have made the fight take longer.

I followed the path from there and ended up in the Untended Graves. Despite it being what seems like a dark copy of the starting tutorial area with mostly the same areas, I had a bit of trouble with it. I fought Champion Gundyr solo, and he pissed me off with that drat back-kick of his, but it only took like three tries before I beat him.

Something I want to ask about, regarding ending choices: I found the Eyes of the Firekeeper, and I know that's a requirement for one of the endings, but is it for the 'Good' ending? I know that's similar to how Bloodborne was, where you had to get three items to get the best (or most complete) ending. However, the item description for the Eyes of the Firekeepr made it sound like it giving it to the Firekeeper would affect her negatively.

I found the Sunlight Altar, but I'm short 7 medals for a total of thirty. There were a bunch of summon signs outside the boss fog nearby.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

In Dark Souls all of the endings are bad endings.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

In Dark Souls all of the endings are bad endings.

Yeah... :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Something I want to ask about, regarding ending choices: I found the Eyes of the Firekeeper, and I know that's a requirement for one of the endings, but is it for the 'Good' ending? I know that's similar to how Bloodborne was, where you had to get three items to get the best (or most complete) ending. However, the item description for the Eyes of the Firekeepr made it sound like it giving it to the Firekeeper would affect her negatively.

FWIW that item unlocks the ending I like the best.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I think it's the ending that makes the most sense narratively, especially when combined with the DLC ending

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gully Foyle posted:

That Irithyll outrider is honestly more difficult than many bosses for some builds, especially the first time you face him.

Send Siegwards elevator up, poke the outrider knight and run back to the elevator and the outrider will fall down the shaft like a chump.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Max Wilco posted:

Something I want to ask about, regarding ending choices: I found the Eyes of the Firekeeper, and I know that's a requirement for one of the endings, but is it for the 'Good' ending?

It’s a requirement for an ending - two of the four seem to be classic bad endings and don’t require what you found and the rest...maybe good? The real ending is the DLC tho but play that after the main game.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Send Siegwards elevator up, poke the outrider knight and run back to the elevator and the outrider will fall down the shaft like a chump.

Do you still get the ice sword with that method?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Max Wilco posted:

It is the only ending with an easily observable net positive for the lore-described world in the entire soulsborne franchise.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Of course, it also doesn't actually matter- the DLC makes it clear that the Link the Fire ending is the canon ending, and always has been; the others are more weird what-ifs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

Of course, it also doesn't actually matter- the DLC makes it clear that the Link the Fire ending is the canon ending, and always has been; the others are more weird what-ifs.

How so? Can't you do them before the ending?

I sort of figured that there's no real canon ending, with the Ringed City's ending (with a new painted world being made from the blood of the dark soul) being able to work regardless of what happens in the outside world. I might be unaware of something that makes it explicit that Ringed City takes place after the ending of DS3, though in that case if you Linked the Fire, how are you traveling anywhere at all and not just sitting there being tiny, ineffectual kindling?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 11, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

goblin week posted:

It is the only ending with an easily observable net positive for the lore-described world in the entire soulsborne franchise.

That sort of what I gleaned from the brief description/walkthrough.

Going back to gameplay, I've got the Path of the Dragon emote, which I think lets me go to Archdragon Peak, and I think there's an Ash you can give to the Shrine Handmaiden, which will let you buy Twinkling Titanite, Titanite Chunks, and Titanite Scales. What I'm wondering is, now that I'm this late into the game, I should just go all-out and smith my weapons up to +9 or +10.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Max Wilco posted:

That sort of what I gleaned from the brief description/walkthrough.

Going back to gameplay, I've got the Path of the Dragon emote, which I think lets me go to Archdragon Peak, and I think there's an Ash you can give to the Shrine Handmaiden, which will let you buy Twinkling Titanite, Titanite Chunks, and Titanite Scales. What I'm wondering is, now that I'm this late into the game, I should just go all-out and smith my weapons up to +9 or +10.

I'd you're headed to Archdragon Peak then definitely.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

You should be at +10 already if you're doing archdragon peak. If you run out of slabs then upgrade to +9. If you're using a weapon upgrade it as far as it can go, being stingy with weapon upgrades is one of the worst mistakes you can make in this game.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im at ithryll boreal valley now is there are a good source of large titanite shards coming up soon? my highest weapon is a +5 spear and the ithyrll ice sword at 3 or 4 i think. these enemies are brutal and i want to kill them as fast as possible.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

im at ithryll boreal valley now is there are a good source of large titanite shards coming up soon? my highest weapon is a +5 spear and the ithyrll ice sword at 3 or 4 i think. these enemies are brutal and i want to kill them as fast as possible.

Have you been to Smouldering lake? A lot of stuff there drops large shards.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is there a glitch that lets invaders go through boss fog doors or is it a hack

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Chalupa Joe posted:

Have you been to Smouldering lake? A lot of stuff there drops large shards.

on my way there! i ran away from the giant fire demon. he chased me and glitched through the doorway and fell to his death. lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feeling very proud of myself because Champion Gundyr was super hard for me my first time playing the game back in 2016 and I just beat him first try on this run :smuggo:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

How so? Can't you do them before the ending?

I sort of figured that there's no real canon ending, with the Ringed City's ending (with a new painted world being made from the blood of the dark soul) being able to work regardless of what happens in the outside world. I might be unaware of something that makes it explicit that Ringed City takes place after the ending of DS3, though in that case if you Linked the Fire, how are you traveling anywhere at all and not just sitting there being tiny, ineffectual kindling?

Basically getting to the Ringed City involves time travel, and so did building it. It's why, say Patches can be hanging around in Firelink and also running around trying to cure his hollowing in Dreg Heap at the same time. Also why Lothric Castle is simultaneously still standing in the present and also mashed up into the Dreg Heap.

The ash-desert where you fight Gael is the world's ultimate, inevitable fate, and has been ever since Gwyn created the city and the Darksign.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 12, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

Basically getting to the Ringed City involves time travel, and so did building it. It's why, say Patches can be hanging around in Firelink and also running around trying to cure his hollowing in Dreg Heap at the same time. Also why Lothric Castle is simultaneously still standing in the present and also mashed up into the Dreg Heap.

The ash-desert where you fight Gael is the world's ultimate, inevitable fate, and has been ever since Gwyn created the city and the Darksign.

That makes sense. I think I was interpreting giving the blood of the dark soul to the painter as the "real" ending with everything else immaterial to that (what happens on the outside world doesn't matter to her painting), with each being a possibility but none of them necessarily true. I think it's because I read Dark Souls III as the last cycle no matter what the player chooses at the end, given how weak the flame is even if you link it, but that could be where I'm going wrong.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Harrow posted:

That makes sense. I think I was interpreting giving the blood of the dark soul to the painter as the "real" ending with everything else immaterial to that (what happens on the outside world doesn't matter to her painting), with each being a possibility but none of them necessarily true. I think it's because I read Dark Souls III as the last cycle no matter what the player chooses at the end, given how weak the flame is even if you link it, but that could be where I'm going wrong.

Yeah, I interpreted all the endings as the end of the world in one way or another. Even linking the fire is really pitiful looking and it seems like it's going to sputter out for the last time after this go around. Letting the fire die right there speeds things along and becoming the Lord of Hollows doesn't seem to keep the flame around either.

The painting stuff I view as a rare hopeful spot in the story. I think it actually lines up best with the Usurpation of Fire ending as it's provides a place for the newly empowered humanity to have a chance to control their own fate, though of course they could end up making the same mistakes as Gwyn.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 12, 2020

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
This gottdamn boss took so many attempts.

:feelsgood:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know the Gotthard Twinswords ate a pretty big nerf a few years back but these things still shred and I love them

Sure, I could be doing meaningfully more DPS with the Sellsword Twinblades, but do they have that sick rolling L1 stab? No. Gotthard Twinswords 4 life

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got the first two stages of Gael pretty much down but the last one, jesus gently caress its just a clusterfuck of on screen effects, not to mention the heightened tension from the music and the fact its the finale of the most important gaming IP to come along since, ohhh I dunno, Super Mario. I cant seem to get close enough to him to make contact without getting hosed somehow

e: I did it! By drawing him away from the area you warp to for the second phase, plus knowing I would stagger him every 3 hits (and dying a bunch of times trying to cheat and hoping I'd hit him before he hit me), it was almost easy. Now for Midir.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 13, 2020

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

GodFish posted:

You're right but I was accidentally referring to the whole swampy lake area as the road of sacrifices. Even with the wolf boys invading I got significantly less hits there than in undead settlement from any type of invader.

Ah ok. Honestly it is weird that the Road of Sacrifices is such a little area, feels like they planned more foresty bits before the swamp.

Anyway, the Wolf boys only auto-invade a comparatively small area, the forest/wet parts of the Crucifixion Woods where the big crabs are. If you stay in that area without killing Crystal Sage you should be pretty consistently invaded (barring invasion cooldowns). As soon as you go down that ladder and into the larger Farron swamp area though Watchdogs will not auto-invade at all, despite the name of the covenant.

Technically Watchdogs can follow into the swamp and even all the way to Abyss Watchers, since nothing fogs between those areas for invasions even though the Crux Woods, Swamp, area above the old Wolf, and the Perimeter are all different invasions "zones" I believe. But generally speaking you'll also see waaay fewer reds/purples invading too in Farron since the spawn points suck, it can take ages to find people if they aren't poisoned/moving, and its the swamp.

Harrow posted:

So is there a glitch that lets invaders go through boss fog doors or is it a hack

There used to be, for purples only. They patched that though. There is still a glitch that can leave an invader in the world even after the Host has gone through the fog gate (happens consistently with Pyre). From there the only option through the fog gate for the invader is to use the millwood WA glitch to shoot arrows through the fog.

If an invader has actually gotten into your boss room then yes, they are hacking.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I hope for the next game they get rid of gating invasions/signs dependent upon if the boss is cleared or not, it'd be a lot more fluid and fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

If an invader has actually gotten into your boss room then yes, they are hacking.

Yeah, a red phantom invader followed me into the Oceiros fight when I posted that so I was somewhat surprised :v:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i died so many times on pontiff sulyvahn because i automatically assume boss attacks are unblockable then whooped his rear end on my 2nd try of just being super aggressive and blocking his attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There's nothing wrong with turtle strats. Greatshields can help cheese certain annoying bosses.