Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if most of the praise in the comments are a variable split between him complimenting himself on separate accounts and people who compliment him because they want to be passively involved in his (and probably others') deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

lol amazing

e: nope it's still there

I don't see it either so I assume he has to manually approve comments and currently only the author (you) can see it. I think that's a setting you can have on YouTube?

I do see your reply to the post I screenshotted so let's see if he actually lets yours in, lol

e: this one's such a softball I feel like "Steve Eastwood" is his own sock puppet. Hey Jerry was that apparent screw-up intentional? Oh yes, it was, thank you for asking

big Elon Musk energy tbh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 12, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

I don't see it either so I assume he has to manually approve comments and currently only the author (you) can see it. I think that's a setting you can have on YouTube?

I do see your reply to the post I screenshotted so let's see if he actually lets yours in, lol

I’ll edit that post with my other post if it doesn't show up eventually.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 12, 2020

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I see your comment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey so random fun fact you can look up historical traces for nearly any N-number in the USA on adsbexchange

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ab1774&lat=38.373&lon=-121.963&zoom=14.3&showTrace=2020-12-07

So here you can see that fun 180 base-to-final turn and correction. And you can also look at his very cool pattern entry which would probably be considered a runway incursion if it were a controlled airport.

For extra fun click on the track and read the Spatial tab on the side to get his (transponder-reported) altitude at different points in the flight. Points of interest:

- KVCB field elevation is 120'
- Pattern altitude is field + 1000, so 1120'
- Those berms just in front of the runway peak at about 240'

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

a patagonian cavy posted:

shout out to the 3.5% who start up and immediately taxi into a parked car

3.5% of the time this keeps happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNfBGpAC90

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Hey so random fun fact you can look up historical traces for nearly any N-number in the USA on adsbexchange

So many people are going to get busted by the FAA if they ever automate reviewing ADS-B logs. A RV6A/7A has been buzzing the lake next to my house recently, and they've got ADS-B out. A friend was up flying at the same time, and overflew the lake at 1000 feet, and saw the RV indicated at 1000' below him going 200mph in Foreflight. Anyone can look it up!

I have ADS-B out, and feel leaving it enabled and not hidden is valuable in case I ever have an accident in unpopulated terrain, but knowing how easy it is to look up tail numbers from flight paths, and figure out who just flew over your house makes me a little nervous. Some people get really mad about airplane noise and maneuvering.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The crazy thing is I've seen Jerry do exactly that thing on base/downwind to final because he's obviously flying too tight a circuit in an airplane that's too fast, and then doing the least safe thing to fix his own fuckup. What an absolute disgrace of a pilot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I really hope he reaches out to me, this is the first time I’ve seen him do something that’d genuinely get him killed vs just “haha Jerry bent metal finally” :unsmith:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

He's more doomed than the raptor guy, because he truly believes he's hot poo poo, gods gift to the skies. Which is really wild.

Hope he does it solo in the desert at least, and doesn't take some poor schlubs on the ground with him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

e.pilot posted:

I really hope he reaches out to me, this is the first time I’ve seen him do something that’d genuinely get him killed vs just “haha Jerry bent metal finally” :unsmith:

The dive out of the clouds could easily have killed him if they’d been a little bit lower or his disorientation had resulted in a little more roll or vertical speed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

The dive out of the clouds could easily have killed him if they’d been a little bit lower or his disorientation had resulted in a little more roll or vertical speed.

Well yeah I mean there’s been numerous times that had things not lined up correctly and he had a little less luck that’d result in a CFIT. This is like do not pass go uncontrolled flight into the ground.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kruger-Dunning escalation

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

wrt ADS-B out, do private owners not ever just form a trust to own the aircraft? It seems like a minor hurdle to avoid randos from looking you up.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah a lot of people will put the plane under an LLC

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Loucks posted:

wrt ADS-B out, do private owners not ever just form a trust to own the aircraft? It seems like a minor hurdle to avoid randos from looking you up.

Routinely. Delaware-registered LLCs also.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Loucks posted:

Operators of jet or turboprop aircraft can also use a service from fltplan.com that issues them a random "dotcom" callsign for each flight, which also makes the aircraft difficult to identify or track.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Kesper North posted:

Routinely. Delaware-registered LLCs also.

That's often an attempt to dodge sales tax, or to avoid liability for accidents. It's really easy for states to notice aircraft sales due to the federal registry of owners, and plenty of owners try to avoid paying sales tax anyhow. The LLC tax avoidance trick is pretty well known by most states now, and I'm under the impression that you'll often get busted if you try to get away with it. Using a LLC can make you fall afoul of the extra regulations around regulation of commercial operations vs private operations, so I've heard that it's worth being really careful if you go the route of setting up a commercial company for a private plane. Much of what I wrote is second hand from aviation lawyers, no one wants to write on the internet how they are avoiding taxes or what the FAA has gone after them for.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Operators of jet or turboprop aircraft can also use a service from fltplan.com that issues them a random "dotcom" callsign for each flight, which also makes the aircraft difficult to identify or track.

This only works for FlightAware and Flightradar24, though; ADSBX shows everyone broadcasting along with their tail numbers.

Though honestly, why FR24 blocks bizjets is beyond me; once I see a tail number with my own eyes/camera, I just trace back where the generic icon came from.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This only works for FlightAware and Flightradar24, though; ADSBX shows everyone broadcasting along with their tail numbers.

Though honestly, why FR24 blocks bizjets is beyond me; once I see a tail number with my own eyes/camera, I just trace back where the generic icon came from.

Discourages the lowest effort, which as it turns out filters out a lot of nuisance harassment.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Midjack posted:

Discourages the lowest effort, which as it turns out filters out a lot of nuisance harassment.

I'm confused, harassment for what/by whom?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'm confused, harassment for what/by whom?

Sending hate mail and phone calls to every plane owner that lands after 5pm and/or overflies some nimby’s house, for starters.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

At least on the airplane I fly, the ADS-B output can be changed via the FMS, so I assume other airplanes can do something similar.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Bit late, but I've just watched that Jerry vid and...jeez. I think it's the first time I've genuinely made the :catstare: face (as he made that turn onto final and I was thinking "gonna see the runway pop out of the left margin of the screen...now.....now...any time now......now....NOW??!!") followed by the :stonk: when the stall warning chirped as he sagged to port in the final stage of that turn.

I'm not sure which is scarier - Jerry's flying or the comments underneath going "ride 'em cowboy!" and "great flight, Jerry :thumbsup:". Nice to see e.pilot at least getting some sense on record for others, if not into Jerry's skull.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Yep, his first mistake ever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The only mistake Jerry has ever made ( because it's the only time he's ever made a mea culpa video admitting to one) is when he turned around on the runway at Auburn and taxied onto the blast pad in order to "use the entire length." He says as he's doing it that it's fine because he saw a citation jet do it once.

Yes, you can take off from the displaced threshold and the displaced threshold and the blast pad both have arrow shaped markings on them. But they look quite different from one another and are two different colors. Again this is private pilot 101 stuff; you'd fail your pre-solo phase check for not knowing the difference

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I mean technically in the 414 and 421 he is a private pilot

Also looks like he hasn’t had a training event since 2006, yikes

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The only mistake Jerry has ever made ( because it's the only time he's ever made a mea culpa video admitting to one) is when he turned around on the runway at Auburn and taxied onto the blast pad in order to "use the entire length." He says as he's doing it that it's fine because he saw a citation jet do it once.

Yes, you can take off from the displaced threshold and the displaced threshold and the blast pad both have arrow shaped markings on them. But they look quite different from one another and are two different colors. Again this is private pilot 101 stuff; you'd fail your pre-solo phase check for not knowing the difference

I hadn't heard this one, and had to look it up because my memory (20 years ago when I did my pre-solo Air Law exam) was that displaced thresholds had white centreline arrows and a blastway has yellow chevrons from edge to edge. And are thus very obviously different. Turns out I was remembering right and Jerry is a dangerous idiot.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

e.pilot posted:

I mean technically in the 414 and 421 he is a private pilot

Also looks like he hasn’t had a training event since 2006, yikes

He may have had his PPL ME addon more recently than 2006- the date of issue is just for any commercial certificate or rating.

I don’t know why you’d add on PPL AMEL, but that’s not my department

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume that he wanted to buy a twin and felt that, as the world's greatest pilot, there was nothing in the commercial training he could learn, so why bother?

I really want to know where he got his money. I used to assume he was part of some stupid dot-com 1.0 tech company and cashed out, but these days I'm leaning more towards plain old landlord.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

I assume that he wanted to buy a twin and felt that, as the world's greatest pilot, there was nothing in the commercial training he could learn, so why bother?

I really want to know where he got his money. I used to assume he was part of some stupid dot-com 1.0 tech company and cashed out, but these days I'm leaning more towards plain old landlord.

He seems way too clueless about his avionics to be a techbro.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

technical knowledge of any kind was not required to make money in web 1.0 days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah in 1999 all you had to do was pick a word from the dictionary and add "on the web" and people would dump cash on your lawn. you didn't even have to own a computer; just hire some nerds from the local college to set all that stuff up.

it's much harder today because you have to pick a word from the dictionary and add "with neural networks" and those words are harder to spell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anyway here's some more positive Aeronautical Insanity instead of just more jerry poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/wIn9K80.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YmFHAFYwmY

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway here's some more positive Aeronautical Insanity instead of just more jerry poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/wIn9K80.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YmFHAFYwmY

I hate the stupid SFX on that video. You got a MD500 2 feet away and yet the only thing we hear is the electric arcing sound?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's also inaccurate, there's never "500,000 volts flowing through the faraday suit" there's a small amount of potential that is discharged through the probe, similar to a really nasty jolt of static electricity. The conductive Nomex suit is an added safety precaution.

Here's an undramatized video of the same thing.

https://youtu.be/6_NEAEGeFIw

E, here's some idiot doing the same thing in a hoodie with his bare hand.
https://youtu.be/6MXMJ_7mGxQ

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 13, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Here's some more cool MD500 stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9luXGLutq0

Now, if you want insanity, then it's aerial mustering in Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBEJbqPjDY&t=97s

I bet these guys aren't helping the R22's already high fatality rate.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Elviscat posted:

It's also inaccurate, there's never "500,000 volts flowing through the faraday suit" there's a small amount of potential that is discharged through the probe, similar to a really nasty jolt of static electricity. The conductive Nomex suit is an added safety precaution.

Here's an undramatized video of the same thing.

https://youtu.be/6_NEAEGeFIw

E, here's some idiot doing the same thing in a hoodie with his bare hand.
https://youtu.be/6MXMJ_7mGxQ

It’s the same thing as birds landing on power lines, the circuit has to be completed for it to be dangerous.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Now, if you want insanity, then it's aerial mustering in Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBEJbqPjDY&t=97s

I bet these guys aren't helping the R22's already high fatality rate.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, define aerobatic flight? (Kinda serious question..I asked at my flight school and there was no clear definition of it).