Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

OK I bit the bullet and ordered a MiSTer and some components from the US. I'm in Australia. What's the power cord like on the Nano? Do I just need a different plug, or have to order a whole new power adaptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

More updates on the PSX core:

https://twitter.com/Laxer3A/status/1321797593693933570

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm in Australia. What's the power cord like on the Nano?

It's American. In Europe you need a new adapter or a converter. I imagine it will be the same down under.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dishwasherlove posted:

OK I bit the bullet and ordered a MiSTer and some components from the US. I'm in Australia. What's the power cord like on the Nano? Do I just need a different plug, or have to order a whole new power adaptor?

The power socket on the DE10-Nano takes 5 volts DC over a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm barrel plug so it shouldn't be hard to find an appropriate replacement with the correct wall connector.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks all. I have a step down converter in the meantime.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Quick update on my quest to get jotego CPS1 games working:
I have ordered a wireless dongle from Mister-Addons to get the updater script working on my machine, and couldn't get that damned thing to work. It seems like despite running appropriate scripts Mister wont recognize the dongle. So I took my box to wire it directly to the router to do the updates, and the updater script is rather... comprehensive. Most of my CPS1 games work now with few exceptions (Captain Commando is one of them unfortunately) , but also I found that now I am a proud owner of all the other arcade cores which inexplicably also contain all the proper roms. Not that I am complaining.
For people having trouble setting Mister up, listen to the thread and run the script, even if it is inconvenient.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Anyone keeping up to date on the Jaguar core? What happened with that? Felt like the people who seem to be in the know about MiSTer stuff was hinting at it 6+ months ago. I guess there was a beta core for it, did anyone try it out and if so how was it?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

katkillad2 posted:

Anyone keeping up to date on the Jaguar core? What happened with that? Felt like the people who seem to be in the know about MiSTer stuff was hinting at it 6+ months ago. I guess there was a beta core for it, did anyone try it out and if so how was it?

Seems like it hasn't seen public work since February: https://github.com/ElectronAsh/Jaguar_MiSTer_new

Discussion here seems to indicate some titles are playable but it's far from reliable: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=342

Keep in mind that as noted in that thread due to both technical challenges and lack of interest there aren't even complete software emulators and AFAIK there are some parts of the system that remain undocumented black boxes, so it'll be a lot more work to complete a usable core for Jaguar than for more mainstream systems.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 30, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I built a mister and am slowing setting it up. I just noticed the IO board has a 2nd SD slot. What is the point of this one? I mean, I can see having extra storage, of course. Does it show up as a different card in the OS? I put a 128 in the main one.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I think it was used for floppy emulation in some cores but is now obsolete? Can't remember.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Waltzing Along posted:

I built a mister and am slowing setting it up. I just noticed the IO board has a 2nd SD slot. What is the point of this one? I mean, I can see having extra storage, of course. Does it show up as a different card in the OS? I put a 128 in the main one.

It's used as the hard drive in some of the computer cores (though that's slowly been replaced with image files on the regular microSD card rather than having to devote an entire card in the secondary slot for a single HD). If you don't have a specific use for it that you know abut, you probably aren't going to use it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

rather than spend a bunch of money on a flash cart as is my usual christmas tradition this year I will be building a mister.

what's the current hotness for the microcontroller board and such? immediate playing plans will be sega cd and pcecd as those are the last 2 consoles from the 8/16 bit era I need to flashcarticize.

I'll need vga out (so I can convert it to s-video) and I'll need so of those controller adapter dongle things so I can use sega and pce controllers.

so I need an i/o board, anything else?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

The Voice of Labor posted:

rather than spend a bunch of money on a flash cart as is my usual christmas tradition this year I will be building a mister.

what's the current hotness for the microcontroller board and such? immediate playing plans will be sega cd and pcecd as those are the last 2 consoles from the 8/16 bit era I need to flashcarticize.

I'll need vga out (so I can convert it to s-video) and I'll need so of those controller adapter dongle things so I can use sega and pce controllers.

so I need an i/o board, anything else?

The SDRAM board would probably be useful. It's optional for the Genesis/TG16 cores, but required for some others. The 32MB is fine for most cores, but some Neo Geo games need the 128MB.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TVs Ian posted:

The SDRAM board would probably be useful. It's optional for the Genesis/TG16 cores, but required for some others. The 32MB is fine for most cores, but some Neo Geo games need the 128MB.

Isn't the 128 also good in case of future proofing?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't the 128 also good in case of future proofing?

Yeah, not sure what future cores may need more than the 32, I’d suspect PSX and CPS2 would be the likely ones.

I seem to recall hearing about problems with some badly made 128s that didn’t happen with 32s, but as long as you’re getting it from a good seller or making it yourself, the 128 is probably a better option if it fits your budget.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Welp, I finally received my DE-10 nano yesterday and I stayed up until 3AM last night playing it. I've gotta say, I'm in love with it already. I decided to build the SDRAM and analog I/O boards myself (with the generous help of Forseti who is sending me the unpopulated PCBs for both), so I've only used the PC Engine, Genesis, GBA and a few of the arcade cores so far, but once I turned on fast USB polling and turned off vsync it became really obvious really fast that this beats the absolute poo poo out of using Android emulators on my Shield TV. My TV isn't the fastest thing around lag wise and I'm currently using a Retro-Bit 2.4ghz Saturn controller, but it just feels so much more like playing original hardware in a way that's hard to describe. I think I'd read somewhere that PC Engine CD games require the SDRAM module, but I just tried Rondo and was pleasantly surprised that it works perfectly.

Anyone have any suggestions on cool, under the radar things to do with this that don't require the SDRAM upgrade? I've really been enjoying playing PCE stuff since that's one of the few consoles of the era that I don't own, but I can't wait to build the RAM especially so that I can explore the NeoGeo and do some head to head comparisons with the NES and SNES. I can typically beat NES Ninja Gaiden on 1-3 lives in about 20 minutes, so I'm really excited to see how well the MiSTer stacks up against a real NES on that game in particular.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/AzumFpg/status/1326172025518428161

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What does that mean?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waltzing Along posted:

What does that mean?

It's a cart Nintendo used to make sure GBAs were working as they came off the production line IIRC, so it means the FPGA core is very very accurate. As per the video and TCRF, no emulator currently can complete the test except for Nanoboy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's pretty cool. Is this a test that is run on other cores, too?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm not sure of any 'real' diagnostic ones off the top of my head, but there are some similar things - like the Titan demoscene..demo for Mega Drive that a lot of emulators choke on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jadius posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on cool, under the radar things to do with this that don't require the SDRAM upgrade?
Under the radar is hard to say because most of the supported platforms were pretty popular, but personally I spent most of my time while waiting on the SDRAM module messing with old computer games that I played as a kid since most of the computer cores work fine without it. Also I installed Windows 3.11 when I got really bored.

Waltzing Along posted:

That test in particular is GBA-specific, but there are both official and unofficial test ROMs available for most popular platforms. The official ones are usually similar to this one and were originally used either in the factory or in repair centers to test hardware, the unofficial ones are typically from the emulator scene and are generally a collection of test cases for various bugs that have affected emulators in the past.

Like kirbysuperstar said Demoscene content is often pretty good for testing because they tend to push the limits of the hardware in interesting ways. If an emulator or FPGA core can run an advanced demo properly that's a pretty good sign that it's correct or very close to it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a MSU-1 SNES core in development? I don't see it listed as one of the chipsets it supports.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a MSU-1 SNES core in development? I don't see it listed as one of the chipsets it supports.
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=120

tl;dr: One person has tinkered with it and has some parts working, but there are significant challenges and it's believed that supporting it fully would increase the complexity of the SNES core massively so it's unlikely it'd ever be brought in to the mainline project.

It looks like maybe a cut down audio-only version may be more practical but that's far from certain.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is it able to run on a SNES Everdrive but not the mister? Isn't the everdrive just a weaker FPGA?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Why is it able to run on a SNES Everdrive but not the mister? Isn't the everdrive just a weaker FPGA?

The everdrive isn't also running the SNES CPU/SPU/etc at the same time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah...that makes sense. I wonder if someone will make an add-on for the mister that will do it. I know there are some open ports that could be used.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
As I understand it, and I'm willing to be way wrong here:

The DE-10 provides the equivalent SNES hardware but it is not currently capable of also providing the MSU-1 chip capability.

The SD2SNES then has an additional FPGA on it which allows it to provide the MSU-1 capability.

E: beaten but I think I'm on the right track at least

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah...that makes sense. I wonder if someone will make an add-on for the mister that will do it. I know there are some open ports that could be used.
One of the problems for full functionality is bandwidth between the ARM system where the storage is connected and the FPGA. The developer who worked on it noted that even opening the on-screen display would entirely break any FMVs. There have been some experiments with a different method of communication between the two sides, but that would require entirely rearchitecting the project as a whole so it will not happen unless there were benefits offered across the board.

It'd probably be possible to solve this using additional hardware attached to the second set of high speed I/O pins, but that'd be a lot of work for something that would only be useful for a single platform (or maybe two, if the similar-seeming "MD+" for Genesis could also use the same hardware) and would not be compatible with the analog I/O board that a significant number of users have. Since the MSU-1 isn't actually a real chip that means your board would need to have another FPGA and thus would likely not be particularly cheap either.

Using external hardware would also require that the MSU-1 specific data to either be transferred over to the addon when loading the ROM (significantly increasing load times) or the use of separate storage which you'd then have to manually keep in sync with your main ROM collection.

It's certainly not impossible, but any implementation that works on a DE10-Nano is going to be noticeably worse than a flash cart implementation in some way. Based on Soerglig's responses in the thread it likely wouldn't get pulled in to mainline MiSTer either unless it had little to no impact on the rest of the core so even then you'd likely be limited to unofficial core modifications like the BlisSTer folks.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 14, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How well is the X68000 core running? I never configured that one and I remember it's one of those few that requires a secondary SD card and I just found a small 4GB one, which should work. Should I bother, though?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

nice. should've ordered a second snac. up and running. just waiting on an vga->s-video converter and the plug things for the snac. I also need to find a stereo minijack to dual rca splitter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/alanswx/status/1331666774115364865

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/CoCo2_MiSTer

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Time Pilot '84 has been released.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Contra and Street Fighter too

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/user/status/1337476964064620550

CPS 1.5 stable release. It's got a couple of minor issues, but it's otherwise the cycle accurate Punisher arcade experience at home.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What do they mean “while you can” :ohdear:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
God I love The Punisher

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm too dumb and lazy to set up a linux environment and a compiling tool chain. is there an updater script anywhere that will grab .rgbs for that? I guess I could just wait for the retrodriven script to be updated.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

https://www.patreon.com/posts/44945379

Retrodriven updater to wind up in Jan due to real life.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I love scanlines but have never been completely satisfied with them on MiSTer. No matter how many settings I tweak or what resolution I use they always soften the image too much for my taste.

I'm finally going to run everything through my OSSC, and maybe get my hands on a PVM one day. The IO board is the obvious solution but I'm cheap and saw that zerohimself sells a $9 HDMI to DVI dongle. I just ordered that, a VGA cable, audio cable, and inline power switch for $30. My setup will be a bit messy but I plan to cram everything into a hollowed-out Super Famicom or Neo Geo X dock station one day.

I'll check in with my thoughts when everything shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
FWIW I found the audio out of the IO Board very crappy. Apparently you can use optical audio with it though?
I want to try an HDMI to VGA adapter and split the audio out that way and see if I like it more.