Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Time War 2: The Timening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe it’ll all end up causing a brand new Time War. That way Discovery can have their cake and eat it too by staying in the future but still constantly bringing Spock back.

Temporal Agent Spock - now he can be in every show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe it’ll all end up causing a brand new Time War. That way Discovery can have their cake and eat it too by staying in the future but still constantly bringing Spock back.

Temporal Agent Spock - now he can be in every show.

This can be the origin of the siren helmet. It's a time cop helmet.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The now canon Spock helmet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Only three episodes of this season have actually been 'necessary'. All of the others are time wasters or side-stories that don't go anywhere. There's been plenty of time to tell whatever stories the showrunner might have wanted to tell. They made a choice not to.

e: likewise I'd reiterate that the only characters that have been 'necessary' on a recurring basis are Michael, Saru, and the Admiral. The Story of Michael Burnham and The Mystery Burn thus far has only required those characters to appear in more than one episode and would only have required 3 episodes to tell the bits of the story that have been told that are actually important. Everyone else is treading water or doing filler content.

It's only a "waste of time" if you're soley focused on the overarching season mystery or whatever. This is closer to what most people seem to want from Trek, which would be almost entirely self-contained episodes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Yeah, I mean for better or worse it does seem like they may have been trying to address complaints from previous seasons about:

-The lack of self-contained episodes
-The insane life-ending stakes
-Lack of downtime where characters can have character moments

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If I were going to try and fix this season while keeping Michael and Georgiou as the stars, I'd make the Federation and Discovery mutually distrustful and a bit standoffish, to the point that the Federation doesn't let them in their safe space/upgrade them and Discovery doesn't disclose the spore drive.

Starfleet forbids digging into the past and gives Discovery some low-level "prove it" missions and the crew of Discovery, together, does all the stuff Burnham did on the sly while in transit between the mission of the week that go off the rails in Star Trek B-plotty ways while Burnham/Book/Georgiou/featured crewman of the week tackle the A-story black ops style.

Over the course of the season they earn the Federation's trust while rumors of the mysterious ghost ships that have been making the Emerald Chain's life miserable keep growing. Culminating in an awkward moment where Discovery is tasked to search for these ghost ships because they might be a valuable Federation ally.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If I were going to try and fix this season while keeping Michael and Georgiou as the stars, I'd make the Federation and Discovery mutually distrustful and a bit standoffish, to the point that the Federation doesn't let them in their safe space/upgrade them and Discovery doesn't disclose the spore drive.

Starfleet forbids digging into the past and gives Discovery some low-level "prove it" missions and the crew of Discovery, together, does all the stuff Burnham did on the sly while in transit between the mission of the week that go off the rails in Star Trek B-plotty ways while Burnham/Book/Georgiou/featured crewman of the week tackle the A-story black ops style.

Over the course of the season they earn the Federation's trust while rumors of the mysterious ghost ships that have been making the Emerald Chain's life miserable keep growing. Culminating in an awkward moment where Discovery is tasked to search for these ghost ships because they might be a valuable Federation ally.

That's really good. I'd also pepper in more of that "Viking sailing ship arrives in present day" element that we keep talking about. Like part of the reason Discovery doesn't assimilate easily is because they just feel so damned out of place and unable to wrap their heads around all the new super-tech, cultural shifts, all that. So they decide in order to feel useful, they secretly keep doing Starfleet missions the only way they know how: 23rd century style. And it turns out the super future needs a little of their cowboy diplomacy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, I mean for better or worse it does seem like they may have been trying to address complaints from previous seasons about :

-The lack of self-contained episodes
-The insane life-ending stakes
-Lack of downtime where characters can have character moments

I'd be ok if they weren't spending 2 episodes focusing on the character that's about to leave the show for a spinoff instead of giving much needed development to basically anyone else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why do shows these days always get super tiny seasons?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah there's no rounded development here, when the show isn't looking at the main plotline and considering advancing it, it's doing lazy side episodes about how great Michael is.

And in a 10-12 episode season you just don't have time to waste. Every episode has to be advancing the main plot in some way and you use your B-story time to explore around it.

e: ^^ it's netflix. They only pay for that many episodes because their model works around shows that long. TV isn't about running a show for half a year and raking in the advertising money anymore

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there's no rounded development here, when the show isn't looking at the main plotline and considering advancing it, it's doing lazy side episodes about how great Michael is.

And in a 10-12 episode season you just don't have time to waste. Every episode has to be advancing the main plot in some way and you use your B-story time to explore around it.

e: ^^ it's netflix. They only pay for that many episodes because their model works around shows that long. TV isn't about running a show for half a year and raking in the advertising money anymore

If Discovery is going to do the 12-13 episode season thing, it needs to be a series of 2-3 part self-contained stories with one or two one-offs to split things up. Like Enterprise did in season 4, or series 9 of Doctor Who.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

If Discovery is going to do the 12-13 episode season thing, it needs to be a series of 2-3 part self-contained stories with one or two one-offs to split things up. Like Enterprise did in season 4, or series 9 of Doctor Who.

There's lots of things Discovery needs to do differently if it's to be a good show. But then it wouldn't be Discovery.

e: and as much as we hate watch it, it clearly has an audience

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't hate it I just don't think it's a great Trek show.

I have my DS9 moods and I have my Disco moods.

Lol who am I kidding it's pretty bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh god no, you're just giving them a different mystery box to open. Starfleet's gone, Federation's gone, but people still remember what they were and represented. Just have Discovery go puttering around the Alpha Quadrant helping people reconnect with one-another. Some Dilithium here to help get a ship of their own going, a subspace comm array rebuilt so an entire sector can find one-another again, getting some upgrades in thanks (or at least some time and education to build their own) and beating up the local pirates who DO have working warp drive and have been hassling people for the past few decades.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god no, you're just giving them a different mystery box to open. Starfleet's gone, Federation's gone, but people still remember what they were and represented. Just have Discovery go puttering around the Alpha Quadrant helping people reconnect with one-another. Some Dilithium here to help get a ship of their own going, a subspace comm array rebuilt so an entire sector can find one-another again, getting some upgrades in thanks (or at least some time and education to build their own) and beating up the local pirates who DO have working warp drive and have been hassling people for the past few decades.

come to think of it, it would have been neat to do this for this season, or most of it, then do the "we found the federation remnant!" stuff subsequently - e.g. stretch out the phase of the story where they found earth

ah well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crusader posted:

come to think of it, it would have been neat to do this for this season, or most of it, then do the "we found the federation remnant!" stuff subsequently - e.g. stretch out the phase of the story where they found earth

ah well.

Yeah, it doesn't even have to be too mystery box-y; Just have occasional hints that OTHER Starfleet ships have shown up after Disco's gone and come back/checked in with places; Scammers? The real deal? They looked Starfleet-y at least. Dunno where they went because hardly anyone has long-rang communications now, but keep an eye out :tinfoil:.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Disco Season 3. Good, bad? I don't think it matters, certainly not anymore but probably not ever, and in the end what matters is that we post

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I think I'm mostly just watching the show at this point for the posting

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think I'm mostly just watching the show at this point for the posting

Same honestly.

I know it's been said but why the gently caress haven't they just used their instant transporting magic ship to go to the ship with the distress call?? I just don't understand at all.
Its also pretty wild that the admiral said no to helping Book because of the potential of a kickoff with the chain but it's fine to try and save space Hitler.

Saru for fucks sake she literally murdered you. She actually properly killed you and ate you.
I'm not saying it's impossible to forgive people for their crimes or that people can't change but come on!

I found this week's episode kinda boring. I'm fine with the mirror universe when it's showing us another side of characters we love, or when it's going wild ham like in TOS. But this doesn't feel like 60s weirdness, it's way too serious and it involves a character I actively hate. Just bring an end to it and let's learn about the loving future already

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

One encouraging thing about Georgiou is that it seems like the general fandom has been pretty vocal about hating the idea of a genocidal fascist main character.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Khanstant posted:

in the end what matters is that we post

:hai:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gosh I’m struggling to think of something I care less about in the entirety of established Star Trek canon than this stupid mirror universe. It’s getting hard to even hate-watch and I had to force myself to not fast forward through most of this last episode.

I don’t mean to white-noise post complaints but just.. wow, that was awful.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Gosh I’m struggling to think of something I care less about in the entirety of established Star Trek canon than this stupid mirror universe.

Remans?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh they’re the WORST!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Mirror Remans are the Morn of the Mirror Universe. Everyone worships them and can’t stop talking about how cool they are, but you never see them.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Gosh I’m struggling to think of something I care less about in the entirety of established Star Trek canon than this stupid mirror universe.

The Kazon?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tilly hugging the Emperor was just a breakpoint for me. She’s wiped planets out and they expect us to be ok with rehabilitation? Now she’s back she’s different and learned to love. I don’t care if Hitler loved dogs. The only appropriate end for her is a shameful death.

I don’t want to learn to love genocidal psycho. If Hitler survived the war and regretted it all, he should still be in a prison, at absolute firm minimum.

It just reeks of studio/ contractual obligation. Same as Michael being the cornerstone of the universe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

Tilly hugging the Emperor was just a breakpoint for me. She’s wiped planets out and they expect us to be ok with rehabilitation? Now she’s back she’s different and learned to love. I don’t care if Hitler loved dogs. The only appropriate end for her is a shameful death.

I don’t want to learn to love genocidal psycho. If Hitler survived the war and regretted it all, he should still be in a prison, at absolute firm minimum.

It just reeks of studio/ contractual obligation. Same as Michael being the cornerstone of the universe.

But don't you see? The cool bad character is learning to be a cool good character who merely broods and makes snide remarks that normal good characters NEVER would! There's plenty of market research to show people like those characters so why don't people like this one? :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm all for rehabilitating people, but Georgiou hasn't shown any desire to be a better person. Every time she interacts with someone when she isn't at her best, she trots out "in my universe, I would have eaten you/worn your skin as a hat/had your entire family thrown into an acid vat"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK you’re all bringing up just awful things, to be sure, but this is way worse :|

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
📯Doot Doot Doooot📯

literally every time I see that word I think of the loving bizarre fanfare Netflix added to Alliances when all the Kazon factions come out

This youtube is like someone taking a video of their TV with their phone poo poo quality but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uM2aot_vl8

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/david-cronenberg-star-trek-discovery-1234850680/

cronenberg is staying on the show

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

They probably promised him some incredible body horror in future seasons and he wants to stick around to give them pointers on how to pull it off.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A cronenberg Star Trek would be incredible. I’d love it if this was how he got the rights somehow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Would it? People super fussed about the body horror in Picard and Disco

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Would it? People super fussed about the body horror in Picard and Disco

I think if it were advertised as a dark/horror trek that would be really different than the tonal whiplash of sudden gore

People still talk about that shot from Conspiracy for a reason, and that was much less bad (largely because it was a bad guy and not a character you were supposed to like)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

I think if it were advertised as a dark/horror trek that would be really different than the tonal whiplash of sudden gore

People still talk about that shot from Conspiracy for a reason, and that was much less bad (largely because it was a bad guy and not a character you were supposed to like)

You're forgetting the distorted bodies on the sister ship of Discovery in one of the early episodes. And the Security officer going "That thing's immune to phaser rifles and brutally violent? HAH! Watch me taunt it with a phaser rifle to piss it off :smuggo:".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the problem the show has would not be solved if they had 22 episodes. The problem is that even with half that there's enormous amounts of time wasting and wheel spinning and actors they're keeping on the books for some reason but don't have anything to do.

If they had 22 episodes they would have time to let all those characters have their focus episodes or at least focus B plots. One week the B plot could be Reno trying to fix up Bryce with some rando in engineering. Zero stakes slice of life stuff. What is life like for Linus? It looks like he's the only Saurian on discovery, and his species may not even be members of the Federation anymore. That sounds really lonely. We spent an episode liberating the Kelpians last season, can we check on them and see the consequences or that? Did they end up genociding the Ba'ul?

Figuring out the dilithium thing is important, but it isn't urgent. It doesn't matter if they manage to solve it in 10 weeks or 20. They don't need to find new clues to that mystery every week. There are plenty of save-the-planet-of-the-week A plots out there waiting to be shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the distorted bodies on the sister ship of Discovery in one of the early episodes. And the Security officer going "That thing's immune to phaser rifles and brutally violent? HAH! Watch me taunt it with a phaser rifle to piss it off :smuggo:".

Those were both something all right, but NOTHING like the eyeball or klingon titty torture rape