Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
gently caress. I get the error "transport line groups are not consistent" when trying to load my game (1.1). According to the internet it is a known bug about underground belts and ghosts of them. I can't load any of my saves from the last 2 hours.
I kinda know which underground belt it is because I noticed it having no output a while ago and replaced it, apparently creating the bugged version.

Is there any way to edit my save file? Maybe remove all underground belts from it? Or deleting the block it is in? I have a pretty good idea where the underground belt is. I used nixie tubes in one place on my whole map, the bugged underground belt is in the same block, the one below or a few blocks above.

So, be aware about placing a ghost for an underground belt and then putting one in a different color in the same place. I think I managed this with the upgrade function, but you can screw up with blueprints too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Are you still on 1.1.0?
Updating to higher versions of the experimental might fix your save according to this
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91702

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Tamba posted:

Are you still on 1.1.0?
Updating to higher versions of the experimental might fix your save according to this
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91702

Sorry, should have mentioned it. According to the About button I'm on 1.1.5 build 57246 win64

Edit: Posted on the bug forum. I hope a new version fixing it is coming soon :/

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 11, 2020

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tamba posted:

I'm guessing this doesn't count, since I'm just bringing in the electronic components instead.

e: also, the Transport Drones mod is lots of fun without feeling quite as overpowered as solving everything with logistic bots.

It eventually gets pretty hell on UPS though. But I love it and it makes so many things easier.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Logistic Train Network is my thing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Circuits are my nemesis and I love how ridiculously overengineered working with them gets.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Is it possible to wire a requester chest in a way that it only get refilled up to its request limit, and then doesn't get refilled until it hits another number?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Refoliant - improved graphics to match vanilla capsules, and refoliant now restores full colour to pollution-greyed trees in addition to regrowing one stage of lost foliage

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

NachtSieger posted:

Is it possible to wire a requester chest in a way that it only get refilled up to its request limit, and then doesn't get refilled until it hits another number?

Set request to 100 items, when 100 items is reached delete/disable request, wait until item below 50, then set request to 100 items again?

Edit: I totally forgot that you can't set requests AND read the chest contents. So this is only possible with another chest.

The problem with this setup is that the request is enabled until the requested number of items is in the steel chest, so it overshoots even if you transfer with multiple stack inserters.

The decider combinator connected to the steel chest gives out R=1 if uranium is <20. The decider after that puts out Everything if R=1, forwarding the setting of the constant combinator (50 uranium) to the requester chest.

Edit2: I think I made an error in there and this may not work under some circumstances. nvm

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 12, 2020

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NachtSieger posted:

Yes with circuits. Sounds like you would need an "S-R Latch"

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
For the requester thing you can subtract the contents of the steal chest from 100, too. It won't stop at exactly 100 either, though.

Edit: with an SR latch still in play.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 12, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Slung Blade posted:

In my imagination, all I can think of is a small biter chained up and forced to smoke rainbow science bongs all day under a greenhouse dome.

hello i would like to apply for a job as the small biter in this scenario, my qualifications are that i've never met a bong i didn't want to smoke and have never declined to smoke a bong except when suffering from acute respiratory ailments

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

LonsomeSon posted:

hello i would like to apply for a job as the small biter in this scenario, my qualifications are that i've never met a bong i didn't want to smoke and have never declined to smoke a bong except when suffering from acute respiratory ailments

The pollution from the factory may produce acute respiratory ailments. It's a real monkey paw situation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
A fun crossover mod would be the Surviving Mars terraforming mechanic crossed with Factorio pollution. The biters would still be angry about it, of course, but it'd be kind of neat to want to expand your cloud of pollution to provide an atmosphere to the planet, and then start cleaning it up later to support a new kind of life.

I'm imagining biters coming from some sort of zerg creep equivalent that gets burned off by pollution, so claiming territory involves polluting a large area. Once the native species are destroyed, you then introduce earth life to the area and start cleaning it up so that you can get plants and animals and such living in that region. You'd end up with a rolling cloud of pollution, followed by a slowly improving forest behind it. I can imagine piping oil into a flare stack just to burn it off as dirtily as possible, intentionally using mining machines that tear up the earth, etc.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so the colonialist theme isn't strong in Factorio, but it is certainly there and is, in its tiny way, a little bit Problematic. The game is very far from the worst offender, and you might argue it's not even worth bothering about, which is not an entirely unreasonable point... But maaaybe one should avoid going deeper down the rabbit-hole.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
You should be able to summon captain planet and process his body for materials.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
He's already there. Torturing Captain Planet in the labs is how you research.

Each additional lab summons another Captain Planet from another universe.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dancer posted:

Hey, so the colonialist theme isn't strong in Factorio, but it is certainly there and is, in its tiny way, a little bit Problematic. The game is very far from the worst offender, and you might argue it's not even worth bothering about, which is not an entirely unreasonable point... But maaaybe one should avoid going deeper down the rabbit-hole.

Maybe this is me making excuses because I like the game, but I feel like it's very much doing that on purpose to satirize how games (and well, basically all European/American culture lol) ignore those implications. I mean, it's literally your goal to pollute everything as much as possible and wipe out the life on the planet, For Science.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

A fun crossover mod would be the Surviving Mars terraforming mechanic crossed with Factorio pollution. The biters would still be angry about it, of course, but it'd be kind of neat to want to expand your cloud of pollution to provide an atmosphere to the planet, and then start cleaning it up later to support a new kind of life.

I'm imagining biters coming from some sort of zerg creep equivalent that gets burned off by pollution, so claiming territory involves polluting a large area. Once the native species are destroyed, you then introduce earth life to the area and start cleaning it up so that you can get plants and animals and such living in that region. You'd end up with a rolling cloud of pollution, followed by a slowly improving forest behind it. I can imagine piping oil into a flare stack just to burn it off as dirtily as possible, intentionally using mining machines that tear up the earth, etc.

To me this sounds like mixing Factorio with Alpha Centauri which would be dope

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Taffer posted:

Maybe this is me making excuses because I like the game, but I feel like it's very much doing that on purpose to satirize how games (and well, basically all European/American culture lol) ignore those implications. I mean, it's literally your goal to pollute everything as much as possible and wipe out the life on the planet, For Science.

I think that's his point, that the suggestion he's replying to would change it from a game about resource exploitation to a game that fits a colonialist view of exploitation (i.e. 'we've improved this world and all it cost was first destroying and mining everything of value out of it')

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

*smirks extremely Reverse-Fern-Gulley-ishly*

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Taffer posted:

It definitely depicts capitalism's endless, brutal expansion for no other purpose than to Make Number Go Up, but I wouldn't say it satirises it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Factorio doesn’t have to satirize it, capitalism itself does that well enough on its own.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dancer posted:

No. There's a separation between fiction and reality. Killing a bunch of bugs in a video game is not condoning colonialism. People can go as deep in the rabbit hole as they want to.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Oh boy here I go killing bugs again

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VostokProgram posted:

No. There's a separation between fiction and reality. Killing a bunch of bugs in a video game is not condoning colonialism. People can go as deep in the rabbit hole as they want to.

This. I take great joy in Factorio in expanding clouds of pollution once I'm at the point where my artillery is destroying the biter bases en masse. Paving the world and transforming it into an industrial hellscape is entertaining and fun.

Outside of this video game, I am very much not a fan of paving over nature and firing artillery and nuclear weapons all over the place.

It's an escape from reality. Sometimes you just want to be an ever-expanding blight upon the landscape.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What I think is that factorio is actually better then most games in its genre, even in this criterium.
While it depicts the endless growth as expected and the goal, it doesn't depict this as unconditionally good.
You are seeing your pollution turning the rivers green and see the trees die. And the trees even protect you from the creepers in the beginning.
It is just a handwave or a figleaf, but this is more then what is normal for the genre.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
... but what if we are in the matrix, and Factorio is real life?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Dancer posted:

I've always seen it as satirical.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's okay even if it's not satirical. Factorio doesn't need to be Starship Troopers level self-aware. You can understand the moral problems with colonizing while enjoying a fictionalized version of it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You can also turn off pollution and/or biters to live your own personal dream.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

dexefiend posted:

You can also turn off pollution and/or biters to live your own personal dream.

I'm considering disabling biters for my next game, if/when I get tired of my overwrought spaghetti nightmare and want to start over. Is it that much "different", besides being able to reasonably expand?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I didn't say it was...

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm considering disabling biters for my next game, if/when I get tired of my overwrought spaghetti nightmare and want to start over. Is it that much "different", besides being able to reasonably expand?

It drastically changes the early game, you don't need military tech at all until you head for the rocket launch. That's a pretty big chunk of resources early game, and you don't have the threat of biter invasions.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I remember a dev blog describing Factorio's art style as something along the lines of "insane evil factory", though I can't find the post right now. This seems at least a little relevant.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I would like a bug sanctuary mode which is basically just slime rancher but with biters.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

it's mostly a time saver since you're not spending time/resources repairing damage and keeping turrets running. you still have to automate most of the stuff for science packs though. makes your first few expansions much easier as well before you've unlocked the late game military stuff

i almost always turn off biters for new games. rebuilding/restarting is frustrating and i don't find security to be a very interesting problem to solve

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
I find biters early game interesting. late game not so much. the fun aspect of factorio to me is automating stuff and I haven't found a satisfying way to automate the clearing of biter bases vs say automating defenses. maybe if artillery range or radar range was longer. an army of spidertrons is probably the best bet though, but still something you have to micro vs automate.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

deltah posted:

I find biters early game interesting. late game not so much. the fun aspect of factorio to me is automating stuff and I haven't found a satisfying way to automate the clearing of biter bases vs say automating defenses. maybe if artillery range or radar range was longer. an army of spidertrons is probably the best bet though, but still something you have to micro vs automate.

My analysis of it comes down to the power growth between the player and the biters, there becomes a point where both the tools available to you increases and the upgrade tech outstrips the biters in multiple ways.

Reducing that exponential growth would be the number 1 way of tackling the challenge. There are enough extra tools that the player gets that makes them more powerful (and more automated). Secondly would be to add some reason to still come out and take out biter bases with some benefit other than to stop raids (but not necessary - this stops the progression path becoming linear). A way of addressing this would be to have some resource come from biter bases - like a very early verison of the game had pink orbs.

Lastly, it would be a case of bringing in some more biters in to the evolution mix, with different species, resistances, etc.

I love the game, but the combat gets a bit iffy and lazy over time. tighten that up and it will have a great knock on effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Go to the logical conclusion. Give us a way to capture, pacify, and install biters into machines that allow us to harvest something from them that's vital to research. Maybe it could unlock a tech path that allows us to domesticate and train the biters to see our base as their nest and protect it accordingly. I, for one, would find it very fun to train up an army of insectoid guard dogs and unleash them upon their former comrades in glorious masse combat.