Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well they've spent the last three years transferring the story from a website to the game, so give it another three and maybe you'll be able to hook up with other players.

(really, it doesn't matter, we all live with a phone in our hand 24/7 anyways)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

drat, ya'll playing with your phone in your hands? I'm bad enough without doing that too.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
If you're a dumb dumb like me, remember to actually update the destiny 2 companion app before complaining loudly to the void that "this is bullshit, I can't pick up bounties from the app, thanks bungo!!!!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

xzzy posted:

Well they've spent the last three years transferring the story from a website to the game, so give it another three and maybe you'll be able to hook up with other players.

(really, it doesn't matter, we all live with a phone in our hand 24/7 anyways)

yes, and i'd much prefer to put th e damned phone aw ay

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yep, Stasis Titan continues to be fair and balanced
https://i.imgur.com/5KyT1t7.mp4

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Xur is selling the Trinity Ghoul. If you don't have one, buy it and pray to the RNG gods that the catalyst drops. It is seriously amazing.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Between all non-raid-pinnacles, including iron banner, this week i got 5 arms on my titan.

Id be very happy with a mechanic that lets me convert 3 slot-A items into 1 non-A-item of the lowest powerlevel of the 3.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

https://twitter.com/spookyDichotomy/status/1337504302500286466

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I decided to try this game for the first time. 55gigs for the base game is going to take my lovely internet a good 24 hours though. I will wait until i have given the game a good try before investing in expansions.

Which of the Goon Discords is the best one to join? I looked at overchill and it looks like its not mainly a destiny discord.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

It's not just for destiny, but it is where a majority of the PC destiny players play. Just mute all the other categories :)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

I decided to try this game for the first time. 55gigs for the base game is going to take my lovely internet a good 24 hours though. I will wait until i have given the game a good try before investing in expansions.
This is a funny use-case, because they recently removed a lot of content from the game (partly justified to make the install size smaller), but most of what they removed was the content that didn't require paid expansions. I'm not sure how much you'll need to worry about joining any Discords because you'll be so limited in what you can do.

You could maybe find a group for the Prophecy dungeon that's free and doesn't require any leveling up to reach the minimum Light Level requirement.

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
Both previous expansions look like they are on sale on steam for $8.24 until the 14th. I just got to the end game grind in beyond light last week and was thinking about nabbing them. Is the overall amount of content roughly comparable to the beyond light campaign? I know about sunsetting and whatnot but 8 bucks for a few hours of a story with new scenery and then a couple exotics seems maybe worth it?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Comparable to the campaign? Definitely that much mission/story content in Forsaken - not so much in Shadowkeep.

The main draw of getting them still is the extra exotic weapons etc. you get from the quests in them, sounds like a pretty fair price either way.

The Skeleton King posted:

Which of the Goon Discords is the best one to join? I looked at overchill and it looks like its not mainly a destiny discord.

There were some of the server stats posted the other day and I think d2-general on Overchill had more posts than any other channel this year :v:

(I blame me personally shitposting 24/7 while working from home)

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 12, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're hooked then 8 dollars per expansion is a steal just for the exotics and raids.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
$10 should be the permanent price of those things with $5 sales

are shattered throne/pit of heresy expansion-locked? guess that is a nice bonus along with the raids

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Eej posted:

If you're hooked then 8 dollars per expansion is a steal just for the exotics and raids.

Raids come with the $40-$50 expos, at one new raid and one new expo per year. Seasons (which are tenbux) usually include weapons and something minor like a special public event or lost sector

But yeah the only way to play destiny is as a paying customer so you get all the content. Game is flat and shallow in f2p mode

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I just got Ace of Spades and fresh out of the box in my first crucible match it and it just all around feels loving slick as hell, just popping peoples heads left and right and I normally never use hand cannons. Coincidentally I got Ace's catalyst at the end of the match too, which was nice. Ace was doing real well for me in PvE stuff as well.

Also easily getting headshots with Adored, I usually suck with sniper rifles in PvP.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

abraham linksys posted:

are shattered throne/pit of heresy expansion-locked?

Yup.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But yeah the only way to play destiny is as a paying customer so you get all the content. Game is flat and shallow in f2p mode

It's great for low stress PvP with the option to try the serious modes if you feel good enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mustang posted:

So I just got Ace of Spades and fresh out of the box in my first crucible match it and it just all around feels loving slick as hell, just popping peoples heads left and right and I normally never use hand cannons. Coincidentally I got Ace's catalyst at the end of the match too, which was nice. Ace was doing real well for me in PvE stuff as well.

Also easily getting headshots with Adored, I usually suck with sniper rifles in PvP.

Both are super crispy, you have some great taste.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Destiny 2; or "why must all my favorite weapons be exotics"

Unrelated: I got Thunderlord from Xur's engram this week

Strelok604 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 12, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The expansions are on sale so I bought them.

Time to get xenophage

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Raids come with the $40-$50 expos, at one new raid and one new expo per year. Seasons (which are tenbux) usually include weapons and something minor like a special public event or lost sector

This is in reference to the Steam sale right now, where they are $8 each

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NeatVariableHawk-mobile.mp4

Lol this game is silly sometimes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lol catalysted trinity ghoul is so dumb in a good way

(e) So what kind of kinetic would actually work with this thing? I've seen all of one sniper kinetic and zero shotguns that weren't also exotic :argh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 12, 2020

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ciaphas posted:

(e) So what kind of kinetic would actually work with this thing? I've seen all of one sniper kinetic and zero shotguns that weren't also exotic :argh:
Yeah the current on-offer kinetic special ammo weapons are pretty few and far between.

Options I can think of that would be good/fun/viable:
- Long Shadow (From: World drops, vendors): Adaptive frame sniper rifle. Ideally look for a triple tap/rapid hit roll with extended/appended/tactical mag (the magic number is 7)
- Toil and Trouble (From: World drops, vendors): Aggressive frame shotgun. It's servicable, but it's complete trash as far as shotguns go.
- Supremacy (From: The Last Wish raid): Rapid kinetic sniper rifle. Good as long as you get a tactical mag/appended mag and triple tap. Other perks are less important.
- Heritage (From: Deep Stone Crypt): Precision frame slug shotgun. Amazing, but it's in the new raid, so you're going to have to be about 1240 and do some homework before you go in.
- Succession (From: Deep Stone Crypt): Aggressive Frame Sniper Rifle. Once again, need to go into the new raid for it.
- Astral Horizon (From: Trials): Aggressive Frame Shotgun. Trials isn't active yet, but this would be another kinetic shotgun option.
- Eye of Sol (From: Trials): Aggressive Frame Sniper Rifle. Trials weapon again.

When I was running Trinity Ghoul, I was running Hawthorne's Field Forged Shotgun with Field Prep and 1-2 Punch, but they removed Season of the Dawn weapons from the loot pool.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Paring it with an aggressive burst sidearm can be a lot of fun. The Breachlight/Trinity/Falling Guillotine combo on a Titan owns bones.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Might be late on this train, but wow, farming 1280 NFs is SO good for golf balls/prisms.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Bite of the Fox is a good kinetic sniper from IB — right now!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lmao.

My god Bungie can't do netcode.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just got quite a bit accomplished - I unlocked both of my Subclasses - but I'm not sure where to go to progress the main campaign. I got the ability to use the Crucible and Gambit. Do you need to try those out once for story progression?

Also, I opened up the Moon, and I guess I started the Shadowkeep campaign? Guess I'll be ignoring that area for a while!

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 12, 2020

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

I just got quite a bit accomplished - I unlocked both of my Subclasses - but I'm not sure where to go to progress the main campaign. I got the ability to use the Crucible and Gambit. Do you need to try those out once for story progression?
Based on your previous posts, if you're talking about the F2P content then... I think you've progressed as far as you can get without buying anything. You can now play Crucible, Gambit, and Strikes, or run around on the planets you have access to, and that's the game.

Edit:

Grimthwacker posted:

Ah, that's wonderful. I thought there was more of an actual campaign involved.
There used to be (multiple, in fact) but they were removed from the game during the latest expansion. Not removed from the F2P experience, just deleted from existence for anybody, even players who bought the game at launch where those campaigns were a meaningful part of game.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 12, 2020

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Discospawn posted:

Based on your previous posts, if you're talking about the F2P content then... I think you've progressed as far as you can get without buying anything.

Ah, that's wonderful. I thought there was more of an actual campaign involved.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

Also, I opened up the Moon, and I guess I started the Shadowkeep campaign? Guess I'll be ignoring that area for a while!

Did you talk to Variks again and unlock the sabotage stuff?

And also talk to The Exo Stranger to unlock the other grenade types, aspects, and fragment quests?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Can you get the new exotics to drop anywhere once you unlock them, or are they exclusively tied to the lost sectors?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can you get the new exotics to drop anywhere once you unlock them, or are they exclusively tied to the lost sectors?

You mean the new exotic armor?

Yeah, they only drop from the heroic/legendary lost sectors

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
Did my first ever raid yesterday (well, excluding cheesing the two chests solo last week) - DSC is drat good fun. Was a bit challenging for our group as we had one person at 1270+ who knew what they were doing, everyone else was ~1260 but hadn't done it before. Nailed the security encounter on 2nd attempt, second encounter took a good couple hours worth of tries but we eventually got it down. Completed third encounter first go, then everyone seemed a bit fried by the time we got to the last boss and even though it seems a pretty straightforward fight mechanically we just couldn't seem to get coordinated with who was doing what with which bombs (my VC was hosed the whole raid, which also made being operator on the space team in the 2nd encounter pretty interesting).

For the last boss we were trying the approach of blowing up all four of his engines each time he started casting those pink/purple death beams, which worked pretty well (no need for scanner as all four bins activate if you get him to drop all four bombs per phase) but just needed better comms/coordination for that method because whoever is running to the farthest bin needs to grab the last bomb to drop to maximise the time they have to get there (and the purple lock bubbles hosed us real bad on a fair few attempts but our positioning probably didn't help).

Pity we couldn't beat the final boss but still great fun though - are any of the old raids that are still available worth doing for fun? Don't mind if the loot isn't crash hot, just as long as it's mechanically interesting / fun. If it's just spinning plates for six hours then I will do something else with my time

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Last Wish and Garden are both good fun - Last Wish is longer and more mechanically involved (and has the best capstone encounter in the game) but is less interesting overall than DSC mechanics. Garden is generally easy but extremely pretty and has some cool setpieces.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Last Wish and Garden are both good fun - Last Wish is longer and more mechanically involved (and has the best capstone encounter in the game) but is less interesting overall than DSC mechanics. Garden is generally easy but extremely pretty and has some cool setpieces.

Sooooo very pretty.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Nice one, thanks guys. Will give garden a shot later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

aejix posted:

Did my first ever raid yesterday (well, excluding cheesing the two chests solo last week) - DSC is drat good fun. Was a bit challenging for our group as we had one person at 1270+ who knew what they were doing, everyone else was ~1260 but hadn't done it before. Nailed the security encounter on 2nd attempt, second encounter took a good couple hours worth of tries but we eventually got it down. Completed third encounter first go, then everyone seemed a bit fried by the time we got to the last boss and even though it seems a pretty straightforward fight mechanically we just couldn't seem to get coordinated with who was doing what with which bombs (my VC was hosed the whole raid, which also made being operator on the space team in the 2nd encounter pretty interesting).

For the last boss we were trying the approach of blowing up all four of his engines each time he started casting those pink/purple death beams, which worked pretty well (no need for scanner as all four bins activate if you get him to drop all four bombs per phase) but just needed better comms/coordination for that method because whoever is running to the farthest bin needs to grab the last bomb to drop to maximise the time they have to get there (and the purple lock bubbles hosed us real bad on a fair few attempts but our positioning probably didn't help).

Pity we couldn't beat the final boss but still great fun though - are any of the old raids that are still available worth doing for fun? Don't mind if the loot isn't crash hot, just as long as it's mechanically interesting / fun. If it's just spinning plates for six hours then I will do something else with my time

The four core strat really only requires your Operator to have line of sight to all 4 runners (which means if he goes to blue make sure no one goes into the shack near spawn on the way over). If your runners can spare the exotic slot, use Tractor Cannon for the speed buff it gives when you hit a target with it. Simply tag Taniks with a tractor shot while heading to grab your battery and the buff should be more than enough to get you to the furthest bin anywhere in the area (Tractor Cannon is one of the many things people used to 2-man Taniks).

DSC weekly challenges start next week so it'll be interesting to see what they actually are (The Core Four seems pretty obvious, the others not so much)