Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Oh

well gently caress. I feel kinda weird going straight from a 360 to a Series X/S/whatever without ever getting an XBOne first

There's is nothing an Xbone can do that the Series X can't, except for the few games that require the Kinect add-on which the Series X and S don't support. The Xbox One was pretty bad, even though the One X was a very good mid-life upgrade, so don't feel bad about skipping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Series S (and a greater extent series X) can play every game that was on the One (except kinect) in a better way in addition to emulating game systems up to and including the PS2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah don’t buy a console with a HDD in the last month of 2020 imo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I. M. Gei posted:

Oh

well gently caress. I feel kinda weird going straight from a 360 to a Series X/S/whatever without ever getting an XBOne first

If you’re buying any console, it’s worth getting a PS5 or Xbox Series at this point. The problem is they’re not in stock anywhere, but neither are PS4s, or Nintendo Switches or GPUs. Everything gaming related is hard to buy right now.

Believe it or not, whole segments like bicycles are in much worse shape. My local bike shops have sold literally every bicycle they have in stock, and weekly shipments are sold as soon as they post them on their site.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah supply chains are hosed. I've been trying to get a curling bar for working out at home since like March to no avail.
My brother couldn't get a new PS4 anywhere, he ended up getting a second hand slim

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I. M. Gei posted:

Oh

Is this some kind of psychological thing? Because it doesn't make much sense as the new one can play everything the old one can but better and faster.

Also, I too went from the 360 to the SeX (but with a PS4 in between) and it's been a wonderful time so far.

vvv hell yeah, that's where I'm at. Game pass is amazing, never had access to so many games at once.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 12, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Series S as a Gamepass machine is insanely good for skippers of last gen

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I want an S for the price/look but with support for usb dvd drive to play 360 games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

falz posted:

I want an S for the price/look but with support for usb dvd drive to play 360 games.

I’d buy a series s in a heartbeat if I could use disks. I have loads of Xbox/360 disks

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
If the Xbox One S or One X were, like $100 or maybe $200 respectively, I could see there being a use case for picking one up for Game Pass. Microsoft is still releasing OS updates for the Xbox 360, so it's not like they will stop supporting Xbox One.

But given that the Series S is going to be in the same pricing ballpark as a One X? Yeah, it's not a great value proposition right now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’d buy a series s in a heartbeat if I could use disks. I have loads of Xbox/360 disks

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and a 200GB SSD / optical disk model shows up on Microsoft's site.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and a 200GB SSD / optical disk model shows up on Microsoft's site.

:blastu:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I wonder how 343i is looking at the reception to CP2077 on last-gen hardware. Infinite is either going to hit last-gen with that same gibbed performance or next-gen is going to be hugely held back. The last option wouldn't be a huge deal as this game was meant to come out ages ago but I hope they're not serious about making this game last 10 years lol.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I wonder how 343i is looking at the reception to CP2077 on last-gen hardware. Infinite is either going to hit last-gen with that same gibbed performance or next-gen is going to be hugely held back. The last option wouldn't be a huge deal as this game was meant to come out ages ago but I hope they're not serious about making this game last 10 years lol.

They're targeting 60fps on the Bone, right? With a 60fps target, even if they gently caress up and dump res and it drops into the 40s or 50s somtimes, it's going to look better than Cyberpunk's current state.

Id have proved that you can make absolutely outstanding, graphically complex shooters that run extremely well on old hardware. There's no absolute technical law why Halo Infinite couldn't run well on last-gen consoles and look good on the new ones.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Halo Infinite was designed and specced for consoles first and foremost, especially the Xbox One, unlike CP2077 who targeted 2020 PCs so I doubt they will have the same issues they're having.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
lol have you seen the graphics on Infinite, I don’t think it’s gonna be an issue

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm trying Greedfall right now, just added to Game Pass. I think it's pretty good so far! I expected it to be very mediocre. Some clunkiness here and there but nothing too bad.

I think I like the fact that there's not much of the typical fantasy tropes, and the world is very nice. Great visuals too, the color palette is interesting but works well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

John F Bennett posted:

I'm trying Greedfall right now, just added to Game Pass. I think it's pretty good so far! I expected it to be very mediocre. Some clunkiness here and there but nothing too bad.

I think I like the fact that there's not much of the typical fantasy tropes, and the world is very nice. Great visuals too, the color palette is interesting but works well.

I keep meaning to pick that up, I hear it's like a Bioware game before they lost the plot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Greedfall is pretty jank and hollow but makes a good first impression. Couldnt hang with it tho. The colonial themes are pretty insensitive too but maybe they have something to say about it by the end that i didnt see

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Greedfall is pretty jank and hollow but makes a good first impression. Couldnt hang with it tho. The colonial themes are pretty insensitive too but maybe they have something to say about it by the end that i didnt see

Well, colonialism is a pretty insensitive thing usually so that checks out.

The open world system is at least pretty interesting, as it's not really open world but more like zones with a merchant and storage between zones. It's kinda weird but it works.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aZocGxy3I

Series S version of Cyberpunk is better than the PS5 version 😬

(currently, because there's not a proper next gen version yet)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

American McGay posted:

Imagine thinking 30 FPS is better then 60.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nah i mean they handle the setting insensitively

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

American McGay posted:

If you wanna play at 30fps instead of 60 for some reason, sure

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The immersive world of Night City, best experienced at 60fps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Paying 500 bucks to play at 30fps, truly amazing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
all pretty irrelevant when they patch it in a few weeks so whatever

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

all pretty irrelevant when they patch it in a few weeks so whatever
Yeah, a few weeks. :xd:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the clue is in the game's title ;)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I bought the 360 edition of la noire a while back and tried to install it on my oneS and it was a no go. So it’s not always a guarantee. Same with You Don’t Know Jack.

What I need to do is build a new entertainment center with cubbies for my 360, oneS, Series X, ps4, ps3 (seriously Sony - why don’t any PS3 games run on PS4? Even the psn games.) Dreamcast, etc. so that I can just fire up any of them at will

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean there is a well documented list of backwards compatible games out there, it's not a mystery what works and what doesn't

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pc cyberpunk looks like a different game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

I didn't realize it was such a stark difference between even the new console versions and mid-tier PC experience. Glad I didn't succumb to fomo and buy it for my Series X.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

The maxed-out DF video is mind-blowing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

otter posted:

I bought the 360 edition of la noire a while back and tried to install it on my oneS and it was a no go. So it’s not always a guarantee. Same with You Don’t Know Jack.

What I need to do is build a new entertainment center with cubbies for my 360, oneS, Series X, ps4, ps3 (seriously Sony - why don’t any PS3 games run on PS4? Even the psn games.) Dreamcast, etc. so that I can just fire up any of them at will

Please check here first before you buy another 360 / OG Xbox game blindly.

e: gently caress, you'd still better be careful because even LA Noire now shows up in there but it's the Xbone version because of Series S/X. Have to look for the 360 logo on the covers to make sure.

Zat fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 12, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

otter posted:

Ps3 games dont run on ps4 because ps4 cant emulate a cell processor and sony has not been interested in doing research to make it possible even on the more capable ps5 because they make so much more investing just in new games that break 20 million copies sold
It sucks imo but pc emulation of ps3 is making great progress so gently caress em.
One day they'll need good will and do it along with fixing the 1000 other things they do with their console that pissed me off. But i'll just have to dwi meantimes cause the games keep coming out good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The maxed-out DF video is mind-blowing.

Im playing on mid settings 1080p60 no rt and it looks mindblowing vs console yeah
The textures and effects are night and day

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Counter-point: PS5 version doesn't do this.

Freezes for several seconds when driving at times, even when installed on SSD.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It probably does actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

univbee posted:

Counter-point: PS5 version doesn't do this.

Freezes for several seconds when driving at times, even when installed on SSD.

I wonder what's going on there. Is it trying to load in an entire area all at once rather than stream it in in parts?