Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Whooping Crabs posted:

I got a bluetooth MES for like $140 down from $450 on clearance at Walmart a couple years ago. It still works great. You can get a 30" MES for as low as $130 on sale (check slickdeals occasionally). As others have said - in addition to the MES get a pellet tube or maze, pellets, and importantly a butane torch to light the pellets, since those fuckers won't light without some serious flame. Don't even bother with the woodchip hopper on the MES, it's useless.

Doom Rooster posted:

Get a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. The biggest one you can fit/afford. The window on some models is useless though. Also get an A-Maze-N pellet maze, it’s wayyy better than feeding chips into the MES.

Welcome to BBQ that’s 95% as good as charcoal, but 10% of the effort. You won’t get a pink smoke ring though.

Edit: I still have my WSM and use it when it’s super nice outside and I’m looking for an excuse to drink beer outside for most of a day.

Thanks for the info. I got a masterbuilt 30.

Any place people like to get pellets from or are they cheap everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

5436 posted:

Most pellets work fine, but I got a super cheap bag once that didn’t stay lit well at all. I assume they weren’t dried out enough. I laid them out on a sheet tray and baked them at 225 for a few hours and they worked fine. House smelled like a wood shop for a day or two though.

I just buy straight from the A-Maze-N site most of the time though because they are always good, and not crazy expensive. The same brand is sold on Amazon, but it’s cheaper from their own site even with shipping.

The most important thing is to follow the instruction to let the start burn for 5 minutes before blowing it out. If you do it early, it won’t stay lit for the whole cook.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

5436 posted:

You can get a 20 lb bag of traeger pellets for $20 at home depot in various flavors

Good luck with your purchase!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
If you have a rural king near you they have been my best source for pellets. They have lumberjack for $8 per 20# bag.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Canuckistan posted:

I bought this one 2 years ago for my WSM 22.5 and it's still like new. It's much thicker than the stock cover and a bit bigger, so I find it's much easier to apply. I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01F8V2VIE/

Curses, they don't seem to have a cover for the 18" model. Any other suggestions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This deserves a cross-post in the Kitchen Knives thread.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

McSpankWich posted:

Curses, they don't seem to have a cover for the 18" model. Any other suggestions?

A few reviews says that it fits fine with a 18" WSM. It does have a draw string at the bottom so you can snug it up and keep it from blowing off.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Looking at upgrading from my Weber kettle for smoking purposes. I am in Australia so options are limited compared to the US and have narrowed down to the following:

GMG Daniel Boone (Choice)
Backwoods Chubby 3400.
OK Joe Bronco (no idea about this one)

I went and had a look at the GMG and Chubby, hoping one would be better than the other but I really am torn as they both were solidly constructed. The shop showed me a Chubby they had been using for the past 4 years and if it had a clean you wouldn't know - seals are good and everything. They also spoke highly of the GMG and mentioned they only upgraded to a Yoder after 3 years because they could, and their GMG was set aside as a backup. I used to have a UDS but no longer do, and really just want something I don't have to construct again myself (nothing against it, I am just hitting a significant birthday and am buying myself something nice).

The capacity of each isn't an issue. I want something ideally I can set and forget for a number of hours, letting me get 6 hours? of sleep. I've nursed a kettle overnight and my old UDS on Christmas eve and it wasn't the most enjoyable experience (mind you this was before I had a wireless thermometer so i was getting up every couple of hours to check, not that it was unable to hold temp). Insulated cabinet vs pellet. I am concerned about the maintenance of the GMG but the shop mentioned its all essentially plug and play if something does go wrong and the support offered by GMG is really good, and that they had no issues with theirs. Whats the pellet consumption like in the real world?

I've looked at plenty of reviews on the GMG and the limited reviews of the Chubby online. I can manage to smoke on a kettle manually, and I recently got a controller (IQ110) which I haven't had a look at yet. If i were to set up the controller on the Chubby, and use the wireless thermometer surely I'd be able to do an overnight stress free? Can anyone provide any insight or point out anything I have missed? I like the idea of the Chubby but part of me thinks I am being stupid and buy the pellet smoker so I don't have to think about temps, its more like an oven. But isnt that what BBQ is all about?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Moving to a place where I can actually have a smoker. Are traegers actually worth the cost or is it just overpriced and brand ?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love mine.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

born on a buy you posted:

Moving to a place where I can actually have a smoker. Are traegers actually worth the cost or is it just overpriced and brand ?

If you want the automation, there are smart fans that regulate the temperature for kamado joe/green egg/wsm smokers. It might put you in the same price range as a traeger.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

McSpankWich posted:

Picnics have the skin still on usually, so you'll have either score it or remove it.

I hate, hate, HATE when we have pork shoulder/butt on the shopping list, and my wife comes home with a picnic because it was on sale.
It is perpetually on sale because it sucks.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

born on a buy you posted:

Traegers have quite a following of people who do not smoke year round. Personally I would never go with a single thin-walled smoker, pellet or otherwise (go with lump)

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I just got a Fireboard 2 Drive + PitViper fan to go with my WSM 18 and did a 12lb brisket over Thanksgiving. The Fireboard held very steady temps for ~14hrs. I was using lump and chunks of oak and hickory.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Random Hero posted:

I just got a Fireboard 2 Drive + PitViper fan to go with my WSM 18 and did a 12lb brisket over Thanksgiving. The Fireboard held very steady temps for ~14hrs. I was using lump and chunks of oak and hickory.

How was the end product?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Random Hero posted:

I've been eyeing this setup, but drat it's expensive, does this stuff ever go on sale?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Went to Costco Business center. Not a beef rib of any kind to be had. :argh:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought about checking Costco for beef ribs. It looks like that all goes into the rib eye roasts they sell for $$$.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
My costco in KY often has beef spare ribs for around $5.50 a lb. I usually have to check weekdays or early Sunday lest they sell out.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

um excuse me posted:

I thought about checking Costco for beef ribs. It looks like that all goes into the rib eye roasts they sell for $$$.

They used to have dino rib packs. Then they started only carrying the ribs boneless. Now there are no ribs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I can get a whole ribeye sub primal but that’s as close as I can get. Even for me (two turkeys for thanksgiving for four adults and five kids), the whole ribeye is a bits much for the Mrs, me and the kids.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can get a whole ribeye sub primal but that’s as close as I can get. Even for me (two turkeys for thanksgiving for four adults and five kids), the whole ribeye is a bits much for the Mrs, me and the kids.

Cut the ribs off and cut your own steaks or a roast and some steaks. Freeze what you don't want to use. There is hardly any waste in it, especially if you got a plan for the ribs.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My wife is on a bone broth kick, and I'd likely used the rib bones for that.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

My wife is on a bone broth kick, and I'd likely used the rib bones for that.

You can definately do that, but I highly recommend femur bones. Especially the end "knuckle" pieces. Bone broth is all about extracting as much collagen as you can and those joints have a ton. You can get those bones on the cheap too.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ZombieCrew posted:

You can definately do that, but I highly recommend femur bones. Especially the end "knuckle" pieces. Bone broth is all about extracting as much collagen as you can and those joints have a ton. You can get those bones on the cheap too.

Oh I was thinking more of adding to the bones she gets from the butcher. And the bone-in beef ribs I USED to be able to get at costco had a lot of marrow goodness.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Internet Explorer posted:

Thinking about picking up a leftover duck or goose and trying my hand at smoking them for the first time. Does anyone have any recipes they liked for either, or any tips / stuff I should look out for?

I’ve been meaning to try this Issac Toups recipe, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

https://youtu.be/7Wlvn3-H0qA

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I’ve been meaning to try this Issac Toups recipe, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

https://youtu.be/7Wlvn3-H0qA

Thanks for this. Still haven't worked out the courage to try it, but this video might help!

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I spatchcocked and smoked a duck over applewood once. I used a salt/pepper/garlic powder rub, and didn't brine which was a mistake. Overall it was mediocre.

When I try again I'll definitely brine, and I need to put a lot more effort into crisping the skin. I put cuts into the skin to allow the fat to drain but might've not cooked it long / hot enough (I pulled when the thigh was at 165 or 170 I think). If yours comes out well please report back.

EDIT:
vvvvvvvvvv everybody here recommends this recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe but I haven't tried it because I don't want a chunk of raw beef sitting in my fridge for a week. Has anybody here actually just purchased raw corned beef?

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 11, 2020

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Anyone mastered pastrami? I think I want to try to tackle pastrami before doing just texas style brisket. Looking for tips, recipes, etc before diving in.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I followed Amazing Ribs recipe and it was hands down the best pastrami I've had. I have also had Carnegie Delicatessen and Katz Delicatessen pastrami.

My main tip is don't rush it. If you're missing an ingredient don't move forward. If your pickling time is 20 days, wait 20 days.

It's a labor of love and my only regret is only doing one brisket instead of, like, four.

um excuse me posted:

Starting the corned beef that will eventually become pastrami.

Started with a 14 pound brisket from Costco.

Then shaved 3 pounds of fat in the first trim.

Then split the point and flat...

...which took off another pound of fat

Toby came in to watch

Stuck it into he largest stock pot I have that's usually just for brining turkeys

Added a little salt

Then some of the other salt

Dumped in picking spices and 2 gallons of water

Then stuck it in the fridge...barely

I'll see it again in 12 days.

Click for huge.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2020

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
drat looks amazing. I used to live next to Katz's and have been wanting to make it. I'll check out their recipe.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
This is really making me want to make my own pastrami. Looks drat good. Do you know the starting weight vs the finished product. I have half of a flat in the fridge and curious if it's worth doing with that small of a piece.

sterster fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 11, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I started with a 14 pound brisket and trimmed 4.5 pounds off. After smoking it was around 7 pounds.

Read this about curing meat

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/curing-meats-safely

About Prague Powder #1

Don't guess this. Definitely don't skip it or you could kill someone. Prague powder is a nitrite salt specifically for the curing process. It's hard to find in stores so it should be one of your first purchases. How much you need to use is based on the weight. Calculate it below:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/curing-meats-safely

Pickling Spice

Buy it or make it using the recipe below. Expect to spend a fortune making it though.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/pickling-spice-recipe

Then follow this for curing your brisket.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

Finally, the actual pastrami step.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

um excuse me posted:

I started with a 14 pound brisket and trimmed 4.5 pounds off. After smoking it was around 7 pounds.

Read this about curing meat

About Prague Powder #1

Don't guess this. Definitely don't skip it or you could kill someone. Prague powder is a nitrite salt specifically for the curing process. It's hard to find in stores so it should be one of your first purchases. How much you need to use is based on the weight. Calculate it below:

Pickling Spice

Buy it or make it using the recipe below. Expect to spend a fortune making it though.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/pickling-spice-recipe

Then follow this for curing your brisket.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

Finally, the actual pastrami step.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe

Sweet, big thanks for all this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

um excuse me posted:

I followed Amazing Ribs recipe and it was hands down the best pastrami I've had. I have also had Carnegie Delicatessen and Katz Delicatessen pastrami.

My main tip is don't rush it. If you're missing an ingredient don't move forward. If your pickling time is 20 days, wait 20 days.

It's a labor of love and my only regret is only doing one brisket instead of, like, four.

Click for huge.

Tomfoolery posted:

EDIT:
vvvvvvvvvv everybody here recommends this recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe but I haven't tried it because I don't want a chunk of raw beef sitting in my fridge for a week. Has anybody here actually just purchased raw corned beef?

I've done the same as um excuse me, and concur- the Amazing Ribs recipe is very good. I would perhaps not steam it the last however many degrees though. I found it was hard to control the steam temp, and it is easy to cook too fast and not give the meat enough time to tenderize all the way. It's one thing to hit 203 or w/e, but it also needs to have the time at the higher temps for that connective tissue breakdown.

I would shy away from a pre-made corned beef though, too. Most of them are trimmed way way way too agressively, and the final product is liable to end up drying out without enough fat on there to break down during the smoke.

The cruuuust:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

um excuse me posted:

About Prague Powder #1

Don't guess this. Definitely don't skip it or you could kill someone. Prague powder is a nitrite salt specifically for the curing process. It's hard to find in stores so it should be one of your first purchases.

I've found the best place to get it is sportsman/outdoor stores that have jerkey/curing/smoking sections.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pastrami chat: an Anova Precision Oven would be able to do full steam at 203F very, erm precisely.

Luckily my replacement arrived today. Sadly I do not have a pastrami already made.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I should clarify that I smoked mine all the way through. The steaming step seemed superfluous and driven by throughput, not taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hello goon smokers! My dad got kind of into smoking last summer, buying his first smoker. I know having a decent thermometer is pretty key when you start getting into it, so I thought that might be a good Christmas gift. Any recommendations for a thermometer for a beginner-intermediate smoker of meats? Ideally keeping things under 100$