Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

I’m not British. I occasionally support the english cricket team against neutrals but that’s about as far as my British “national pride” goes. (I always support Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France against England in 6 Nations rugby). I live here, and I like living here, in part because it’s a relatively free and decent place. I’m not blind to the UK’s past or present transgressions. But I think a lot of people are more negative about the UK than it deserves.

What I don’t understand is how patently appalling human rights transgressions get waved away under some sort of skewed equivalence. “Well, we do some bad things so their awful things aren’t so bad”.

Consider it a reflexive response to those sort of "This regime is uniquely terrible" arguments because in the west they are inevitably paired with "which is why we should bomb them immediately".

Iran loving sucks, and interestingly Saudi Arabia sucks in almost exactly the same ways except often worse, but only one of those two nations is regularly held up as a uniquely evil enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Iran loving sucks, and interestingly Saudi Arabia sucks in almost exactly the same ways except often worse, but only one of those two nations is regularly held up as a uniquely evil enterprise.

I don't think thats true.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

They are not "waved away" you pillock we recognize that they are part of the same fight, which is a drat sight better than your approach of just going "oh look at the horrible foreigners how awful they are let us be glad we aren't them" which reduces their and our struggle to just loving points on your idiot nationalist scoreboard. Whether you identify as british or not you certainly behave like one.

They seem to be waved away because you haven’t said anything against them that I recall, instead trying to draw what feels to me like a false equivalence with what happens here. Recognising that they are part of the same struggle isn’t a way of thinking I’m used to so I’ll sit in that for a while. Likewise why I feel compelled to point out human rights abuses in Iran.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Consider it a reflexive response to those sort of "This regime is uniquely terrible" arguments because in the west they are inevitably paired with "which is why we should bomb them immediately".

Got it.
BTW, I loving HATE Saudi Arabia. It’s probably top of my poo poo list. I agree it’s worse than Iran in most respects. But it doesn’t get defended here in the way that Iran does.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think thats true.

You're right, that sentence should have ended "in western media and political circles".

The only criticism I've heard of Saudi Arabia in any mainstream press for the last decade has been over the Khashoggi murder and even then it's mostly been of the "now steady on old chap" variety.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're right, that sentence should have ended "in western media and political circles".

The only criticism I've heard of Saudi Arabia in any mainstream press for the last decade has been over the Khashoggi murder and even then it's mostly been of the "now steady on old chap" variety.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/03/the-observer-view-on-britains-relationship-with-saudi-arabia-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/nov/05/f1-confirm-saudi-arabia-2021-race-in-face-of-human-rights-criticism-formula-one-motor-sport

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/04/its-being-built-on-our-blood-the-true-cost-of-saudi-arabia-5bn-mega-city-neom

Theyre pretty easy to find...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think there is criticism but not nearly as much as it warrants and not as much as Iran gets. Very little on SA’s role in Yemen, or the gender apartheid it practises

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

therattle posted:

But I think a lot of people are more negative about the UK than it deserves.

They are absolutely not. People are nowhere near negative enough about the UK. It is a toxic influence on the world and has been for many hundreds of years, plus what the government is doing to its own people with brutal austerity and now disaster capitalism.

There are other bad countries too but the perpetuation of the myth of the UK as a "great nation" and excusing all of the awful poo poo it gets involved in is a large part of the reason why it all continues.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've been drinking white wine and gin with my bubble buddy who was asking for how to get into left wing thought, because she feels predisposed to my lefty feelings but unable to articulate her own sense of justice. I directed her to WDTATW and the Trashfuture episodes on Saudi-funded enterprise, to think about the relationship between money, resources and power.

Saudi is responding to the decreasing relevance of oil with some... Interesting investments.

I also starting gin-induced crying at my bubble buddy about how good of a person Jeremy Corbyn is and how unjustly he's been treated, which is true but not something I've cried openly about before. Just need some dude to walk up to me and say "he's not worth it love", only to respond "you don't know him like I do."

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

therattle posted:

That was repealed 17 years ago and did not AFAIK lead to people being imprisoned for ten years, or hanged.
Depends if you count the people who committed suicide because of it because who they were was so disgusting, or the people like me who buried all their feelings so deep it too all of those 17 years to reemerge and basically have that entire portion of their life literally be on hold.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

They are absolutely not. People are nowhere near negative enough about the UK. It is a toxic influence on the world and has been for many hundreds of years, plus what the government is doing to its own people with brutal austerity and now disaster capitalism.

There are other bad countries too but the perpetuation of the myth of the UK as a "great nation" and excusing all of the awful poo poo it gets involved in is a large part of the reason why it all continues.

I should have said a lot of people here. You’ll probably disagree with that too, maybe rightly. As far as the wider population goes, completely agree with you.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

therattle posted:

I should have said a lot of people here. You’ll probably disagree with that too, maybe rightly. As far as the wider population goes, completely agree with you.

even here its only just approaching being negative enough

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You don't develop transformative political attitudes with the view that the place you live in and Earth in general is an all right place really and just needs some rough edges sanded off.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

even here its only just approaching being negative enough

Ok, so what are some non-terrible countries? I am not asking facetiously. Or is that the wrong question because all are bad albeit in different ways? I’d still think that some were better than others though. Is that contentious?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

therattle posted:

Ok, so what are some non-terrible countries? I am not asking facetiously. Or is that the wrong question because all are bad albeit in different ways? I’d still think that some were better than others though. Is that contentious?

We should be ruthlessly critical of our own countries because we can, in theory, change them

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

therattle posted:

Well aside from the fact that all countries are by there very nature corrupt. You would need to find one that hasn't committed aggressive war, repressed any internal or external peoples, held pretty much any colonial territory and that list pretty much covers almost every country out there but I could go on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Allowing your emotional need to think that on a regular basis to intefere with your ability to be properly critical is a significant part of the objection, yes.

I doubt most of us give a poo poo about putting the countries in a tier list rather than trying to stave off the problems we have to deal with every day.

Why does there need to be a good country? Why do you give a poo poo about there being good countries?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1337830166098227200

Big things coming soon?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'll tell you what it won't be. A new political party that isn't trash being formed.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jeremy Corbyn is going to announce Brexit.

Edit: No wait he's going to announce he's signed a deal with the EU. Just troll the poo poo out of the Tories.

namesake fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 12, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I'll tell you what it won't be. A new political party that isn't trash being formed.

Yeah I doubt it will be and if it were a new party for all the love I have for the man he isn't the one to be announcing it, but hope springs eternal

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

forkboy84 posted:

But that's already happened

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its his 2021 calendar.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its his 2021 calendar.

Calendar Lads, featuring jezza and big john

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would buy a calendar of left wing politicians posing suggestively with things grown on corbyn's allotment.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

I would buy a calendar of left wing politicians posing suggestively with things grown on corbyn's allotment.

I would but only if John McDonell poses with an ak-47

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It'll be some sort of charity drive for some manner of marginalised group.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Continuity NIP posted:

We should be ruthlessly critical of our own countries because we can, in theory, change them

Makes sense.

OwlFancier posted:

Allowing your emotional need to think that on a regular basis to intefere with your ability to be properly critical is a significant part of the objection, yes.

I doubt most of us give a poo poo about putting the countries in a tier list rather than trying to stave off the problems we have to deal with every day.

Why does there need to be a good country? Why do you give a poo poo about there being good countries?

I don’t know. It’s a fair question. I did ask if it was even the right question to be posing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tomato and mozzarella sandwiches are back on the menu bois

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dodgy country chat:
For all that's wrong with the uk most of us non-entities are still able to criticize the powers that be without being in fear of our lives. And also there are at least sort of half functioning democratic means of making our feelings known.
I have friends living in countries where that is not the case so I'm careful eg on Facebook of I want to criticize eg Saudi Arabia to block them from seeing the posts because a mis- placed like or comment could have very serious consequences.
I have an Iranian friend with family in Iran, quite a few living in Saudi, and many in Egypt where disappearances are high- something like 40000 in the first year of CC's reign (not checked numbers since then). Egyptian friends who know what is happening will only discuss face to face not via phone email or messenger. As one friend ended up in Tora prison after the secret police had monitored his phone for 6 months and he and another friend sat and listened to all those calls in front of his lawyer - including sexy chat with his girlfriend - don't think they can't monitor.
(It wasn't any noble cause btw).

Again apologies for all the grammos etc I hate phone posting!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 12, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dodgy country chat:
For all that's wrong with the uk most of us non-entities are still able to criticize the powers that be without being in fear of our lives. And also there are at least sort of half functioning democratic means of making our feelings known.
I have friends living in countries where that is not the case so I'm careful eg on Facebook of I want to criticize eg Saudi Arabia to block them from seeing the posts because a mis- placed like or comment could have very serious consequences.
I have an Iranian friend with family in Iran, quite a few living in Saudi, and many in Egypt where disappearances are high- something like 40000 in the first year of CC's reign (not checked numbers since then). Egyptian friends who know what is happening will only discuss face to face not via phone email or messenger. As one friend ended up in Tora prison after the secret police had monitored his phone for 6 months and he and another friend sat and listened to all those calls in front of his lawyer - including sexy chat with his girlfriend - don't think they can't monitor.

This is all good and makes sense, but I guess the question that’s being posed is: what is the significance of saying that one country is better than another in certain regards? What useful function does it serve? I’m not sure I have an answer to that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dodgy country chat:

The Harry Potter lady sympathises, she's basically going through the exact same thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

This is all good and makes sense, but I guess the question that’s being posed is: what is the significance of saying that one country is better than another in certain regards? What useful function does it serve? I’m not sure I have an answer to that.

It depends what you value. I have a friend who lived under Tito and said it was wonderful living in a dictatorship because everyone has a house, good education and healthcare and ok he killed 100000 people but if you kept your mouth shut and didn't criticize the government, and it wasn't anyone she knew so all was ok. After a couple of years of CC she started to change her mind because her Egyptian husband was finding not being able to speak freely very stressful (and affecting their marriage.).
I'm sure many people think why not just shut up, keep your head down and life will be fine. (In many countries - see how police or military violence against protestors is often greeted with a 'should have kept quiet - they deserved it from many people.)

Sorry for the crap grammar am phone posting again.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 12, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The Harry Potter lady sympathises, she's basically going through the exact same thing.

Yes exactly. I wonder which desert prison they've shut her away in after various 'morality' inspections to her nether regions the secret police have carried out ... Erm.
(PS I am assuming your post was not to be taken at face value!)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes exactly. I wonder which desert prison they've shut her away in after various 'morality' inspections to her nether regions the secret police have carried out ... Erm.
(PS I am assuming your post was not to be taken at face value!)

we can but hope...

Continuity NIP posted:

But that's already happened

That's still to be determined

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 12, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want the most... liberal argument I am willing to make then being aggressively critical of the country you live and encouraging everyone else to do the same is important to prevent them from being able to secure hegemonic support for that kind of repressive poo poo.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

It's helpful to articulate the case for a better world by reference to examples. A freedom as a concept is difficult to fight for because you're asking people to make a change from a real situation to a hypothetical one. When you can show it working in practice, it becomes a change from one real situation to another real situation. Case in point is the steady decriminalisation of weed in the states.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

Got it.
BTW, I loving HATE Saudi Arabia. It’s probably top of my poo poo list. I agree it’s worse than Iran in most respects. But it doesn’t get defended here in the way that Iran does.
I've seen the mainstream press here call MBS a 'cautious reformer' and praised him allowing women out of their homes other things to imply that maybe all the horrendous poo poo he's doing has to be in some nuanced context.

I can't imagine someone getting away with going on about, say, Assad's 'cautious reform' even itt, let alone on the BBC. Saudi Arabia definitely gets an easier ride than Iran, Syria, Libya, Egypt, both from the press and from getting weapons from us at less than 500 miles per hour.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think you absolutely have to be relentlessly critical of your own country, but you have to go about it in a certain way or you're only going to be preaching to the converted. I went through a period of being aggressively down on the UK to anyone who would listen and eventually no one did - I was rightly written off as a misery guts with no sense of perspective or nuance, or any willingness to concede that there are some good things about being here. Sure, in this forum go wild but if you try that with anyone who isn't already a rabid radical lefty you won't convince anyone or make any real terms progress.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I reckon Jeremy has grown a really, really, really big turnip

just massive, it is, probly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
anyone else feel that mark zuckerberg is probably the single most damaging influence in the world generally rn in terms of just how much stuff is getting hosed because he refuses to get involved and stop it. insane whatsapp groups sharing stuff in brazil was a big part of why bolsonaro won for example and we all know how damaging facebook refusing to properly moderate content is . a ton of stuff that facebook should be doing it doesn't specifically because of him